Uncanny X-Men General Discussion

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BamfChyck »

I must admit I didn't even notice it, I'll look tomorrow.

Me and my dirty mind--that first picture of Kurt? I had to look at it a few times to be sure that was his foot in his lap.
I loved his tail there! It looked so vibrant! Anorexic,maybe, but appealingly full of energy.
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

I have to say I like the end of this story. It does get away from what is expected!!!! The people who make it and who don't are nicely dispursed which kepted it from getting boring. Does anyone else think it's weird thta Josh and Warren have such incredably similar mutations though?
"Sweet crackers I'm blind!!!!" - Stormy
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

I was wondering about that myself. And Josh's wings seem a bit small to me, but that may just be the anatomy fiend in me talking. ;)

Considering that Josh and Warren seem to have almost identical mutations, I'm wondering also if he has Warren's healing ability..... :scratch
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

[spoiler] he does have it. he tries to kill himself over and over but can't [/spoiler] I was wondering if it was some sick, backhended, inceste joke. It doesn't fit the seriouse nature of the story, but considering there's a family feud and rampant racism, it's a possible unconsiouse implication.
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Originally posted by Warbird
[spoiler] he does have it. he tries to kill himself over and over but can't [/spoiler] I was wondering if it was some sick, backhended, inceste joke. It doesn't fit the seriouse nature of the story, but considering there's a family feud and rampant racism, it's a possible unconsiouse implication.
I think that incest has nothing to do with it. Remember back in the Draco where Azazel mentioned a race of "Angel" mutants from his time, with wings and healing blood that burned the "demon" mutants?

While Warren and the Guthries may have a common ancestor, it would be too far back to consider them related at this point. If you and your significatn other could both trace your lineage back over 2000 years to Julius Ceaser, would you consider your relationship incestuous?
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

Which one is out now? I have trouble keeping up and it is hard to find a good site that simply says what is currently out and what is out next.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

Originally posted by Nightcrawler ZERO

I think that incest has nothing to do with it. Remember back in the Draco where Azazel mentioned a race of "Angel" mutants from his time, with wings and healing blood that burned the "demon" mutants?
Good point!!! I had completely forgotten about that. I think that I have some sort of traumatic memories of the Draco that are being suppressed. It makes me feel much better looking at it that way.

*Edit* Gaz, the last issue in this arc just came out this week.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Yeah, "She lies with angels" was a great story. A very sensitive tale.
I thought I wouldn't really care about the Guthrie family but now, I do !

I wonder... do you think Chuck is sad not writing Kurt, Warren and Logan anymore ? :(
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I usually get my UXM on Mondays, but I finally got it yesterday. I wasn't terribly interested in this story arc at first, but the ending did have some very interesting outcomes. [spoiler]Of course, like R & J, I did expect tragedy, but some of the deaths were surprising. I was happy to see Kurt in action, and a great deal more than in the Draco arc. My biggest question is why didn’t Warren attempt to heal Julia? He brought Jubes back from the dead, how come he didn’t even try it with her? Those are the inconsistencies that sometimes get to me with Austen's writing, unless I missed some of the limitations in his new powers. And what was the point of Warren undressing Paige in the air. It seemed to be more for shock value than anything. [/spoiler]

Otherwise, the last couple of issues Austen redeemed himself in my eyes somewhat.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Warren can't heal everyone. on some people, his powers have no effect at all. particularily among baseline humans.

and he is sad about Kurt in particular. he never really liked Wolverine too much. was made to use him, actually. but Kurt was the only character he specifically asked for post-reloaded, but it was one of Alan Davis' requirements to draw X-Men that Kurt be on the team of whatever book he drew....
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Aw, Maaaaaaan! I wish Kurt could just pull a wolverine and be in 2 books. ;)

It's good to know Kurt's still a creative favorite, but I was really enjoying Kurt in Uncanny. I'm hoping he gets the same amount of attention and respect in Alan & Chuck's book. (Though I'm really worried he'll end up going back to the priesthood blarg.)
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

I'm sad for Chuck, even though it will be great to see Davis's Nightcrawler again.
Do you think Marvel will at last allow Kurt as a guest-star in New X-Men??
You know, Bishop is in two x-book, and who really cares about Bishop ??
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Icey
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Icey »

Originally posted by Garble
(Though I'm really worried he'll end up going back to the priesthood blarg.)
I don't see why, Chris never wanted him to become a priest.
Originally posted by Diablo
Chuck's writing X-Men, New X-Men is the new name for the New Mutants title.
Originally posted by DiabloYou know, Bishop is in two x-book, and who really cares about Bishop ??
I don't. Bishop bores the heck out of me.
~ THIS is a KNIFE, the focused totality of my telepathic abilies, and it'll cut alot deeper than your BANANA! ~ :bets Psylocke (Excalibur#56)
~ Now, I like tall, dark strangers as much as the next girl *SMASH* but when an unexpected gentleman caller gets a little too fresh with me, I'm not afraid to remind him of his poor, inexcusable manners, KIIYAHH!, with a swift kick to the more sensitive parts of his person! ~ :bets Psylocke (Crimson Dawn #2)
Machina
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Machina »

I love CC's Bishop he really did a lot with him...Really looking forward to CC and Davis run and them having Kurt. I am
hopeing that Chuck got Gambit and Rogue if so I am really looking forward to his take on Rogue and I think his Gambit is going kick some ass.
msgt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by msgt »

My guess for Austen's team would be: Havok, Polaris, Iceman, Juggernaut, and Gambit.

I also think it would be cool if he would get Rogue. Since he might be loosing Nightcrawler it would be nice if he got Gambit and/or Rogue since I think he likes those characters?

My last post in this thread disappeared (as I think most of the recent posts did when the boards went down) but I posted about the last issue of Uncanny I got.

So here is a quick summary of my last post :)

There were things I liked about the issue like Nightcrawler bamfing in to save the day (Gotta love teleporters) Then there were things I didn't like...like the Sheriff pulling a gun on mama Guthrie over her kissing a black man. Seems to me that Austen portrays this area of Ky as some backwater place full of ignorant and"backward" persons. Which again I don't like, but thats the way it goes.

I haven't gotten the latest issue yet but will pretty soon.

Mike
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Hmm... there was a clue dropped by Bamfette that there was a big surprise character the editors may or may not be giving Chuck

Quicksilver is leaving the avengers, which puts him in one of two places:

1.) (New) X-men: Chuck Austen wanted 3 characters that he couldn't get at the beginning of his Uncanny run: Cyclops, Gambit, and Quicksilver. He eventually settled on northstar to fill Quicksilver's niche on the team (arrogant white haired speedster)

2.) Exccalibur- For a book about rebuilding the Kingdom of Magneto, who better than Quicksilver, who under the typical rules of Monarchy, would be the heir to the throne?
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I really don't care for this decision either, except someone must have a fondness for the mutant-cop idea. Sometimes I just don't understand Marvel. Nightcrawler is one of the most popular characters, why does he not deserve a solo book? You think they'd be taking advantage of his current popularity.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

I think that Marvel has learned that oversaturating popular chricters and books can be a bad thing. I used to love Wolverine, but now there is so much of him, I'm absolutely sick of him. I think it's good to keep the charicters to only a book or two, rather than having them in everything you pick up. I love Kurt, but I wouldn't want to see him everywhere. I'm happy with him just being a part of the Uncannys

I didn't know that they were going to use Quicksilver!!! Is he even an active Avenger? It's been a while since he's shown up in anything but a cameo. I'm glad he's going back to the X titles.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Shadow_Dancer
[spoiler]And what was the point of Warren undressing Paige in the air. It seemed to be more for shock value than anything. [/spoiler]
WTF of the month, right here!
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Just wanted to put in my "wheeeee" for Davis drawing Nighty... Definately one of my favorites. I shall now prepare for eyecandy.
mightiest_mortal
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by mightiest_mortal »

I thought it was a FANTASTIC arc :) oneof the best ive read for quite a while.
I was a bit unsure about the colourist.. having prefered the look in extreme but this one suits the story a lot more. each page looks beautiful.
its kindof understandable that even if he had healing blood it wouldnt be able to cure a drowned victim.
He cured the victims of the COH only because they were in the middle of dieing/just dead so there was no brain damage.
once youve got the water out of the lungs even, the brain would probably be dead from sufocation so hed need to get his blood into her brain.. which would mean drilling holes in her head.. then it all just gets very grisly.
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Banned

Post by Winged Outlaw »

I'm sad for Chuck, even though it will be great to see Davis's Nightcrawler again.
Because we dig him, sucka. Damn its a good thing that Phil Hunn didn't see this post :D
Originally posted by Bamfette
Warren can't heal everyone. on some people, his powers have no effect at all. particularily among baseline humans.
*blinks* We've never seen any evidence of this. Didn't he heal an entire hospital full of humans in the same issue where Skin's memory was desecrated (i'm certain I misspelled that...)?
and he is sad about Kurt in particular. he never really liked Wolverine too much. was made to use him, actually. but Kurt was the only character he specifically asked for post-reloaded, but it was one of Alan Davis' requirements to draw X-Men that Kurt be on the team of whatever book he drew....
Well that's too bad. We'll probably never see Azazel again :)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

no. he healed 12 out of the entire hospital. he couldn't help all of them.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Originally posted by Winged Outlaw
Originally posted by Bamfette
*blinks* We've never seen any evidence of this. Didn't he heal an entire hospital full of humans in the same issue where Skin's memory was desecrated (i'm certain I misspelled that...)?
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Banned

Post by Winged Outlaw »

K gotcha. So it works/doesn't work when convenient then.

*looks back at the Casey issues and sheds a tear* Warren was so cool back then, and he didn't need magical healing powers...