Avengers general discussion

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

Hey Kiddies! Bring your Avengers talk to this thread! Avengers Assemble!!!
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

It's been a looooooong time since I read Avengers.
But hey, is it true Chuck Austen will write Avengers ? If it is, I'll give it a try.

My favorite Avenger character is Hank Pym (as Yellowjacket, of course !)
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

it is indeed true. I have read his first arc, and it kicks ass!

you like Hank Pym, and he will be on Chuck's Avengers team, (did you check the first pages of this weeks issue? hee!) along with Janet, naturally, and Cap, (of course) Iron Man (from the man who brought you US War Machine, this is to be expected...) She-Hulk (who will be doing double duty as Juggernaut's lawyer in Uncanny) Hawkeye, and The Scarlet Witch, there may be a couple more who shw up later as regulars.

and a new and yet old character...
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Hey, that's pretty cool !
Thanks Bamfette. :)
She-Hulk is one of my favorite, too !
I guess the Beast won't show up, but I would like to see good old Mc Coy written by Austen.
www.atlantys.biz

Thor Reborn
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Thor Reborn »

since I love austens work. I dont care who is in it. but I hope the black knight shows up
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

here's the solicit of his first 2 issues, snagged from CX-Fan:

AVENGERS #77
Written by Chuck Austen
Pencils by Olivier Coipel
Cover by John Cassaday
"Lionheart of Avalon" Part 1
It seems like a routine mission when Captain America and Earth's Mightiest Heroes head to Great Britain to deal with the Wrecking Crew's latest scheme. But when things get out of hand, it takes the bravery of an innocent bystander using Cap's indestructible shield to save them all. These events lead to the resurrection of a forgotten Marvel hero and the introduction of a new member of the Avengers!
32 pgs./Marvel PSR...Just $0.50!
UPC: 5960604458-07711

* TRY IT FOR JUST 50-CENTS!
* NEW STORY ARC! NEW COSTUMES! NEW HEROES!
* NEW WRITER CHUCK AUSTEN!

AVENGERS #78
Written by Chuck Austen
Pencils by Olivier Coipel
Cover by Scott Kolins
"Lionheart of Avalon" continues!
32 pgs./Marvel PSR...$2.25
UPC: 5960604458-07811
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

Chuck's writing Avengers? Yes!

Oh how I can only hope for Chuck to use alot of Wanda, for some reason I can already see myself loving the way he will write her.
Call me King!
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

So if it's not obviouse by the name I'm truely a huge Avengers fan. I would love to see him bring back warbird. I know that she's only just left the team again, but I lover her. I also think that he is going to use Wanda quite a bit; she's actually been pretty central to some of the archs lately anyway. And is it jsut me or is the plain old Avengers soooo much beter than the Ulitmates?
"Sweet crackers I'm blind!!!!" - Stormy
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

who here asked Chuck at a con if he would be 'screwing up Yellowjacket as much as he screwed up Nightcrawler' and claimed to be a friend of mine from here? he just told me about that now. were you raised by baboons to have such poor social skills? moron. don't go claiming to be a friend of mine if you treat my real friends badly.
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

Oh my god, someone atually did that?
- wait..on second thought..I'm not actually suprised someone would be that pathetic and immature.
Call me King!
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

wow, very ignorant. wait a second.... when did he screw up nightcrawler? Oh that's right, some people assert thier own oppinion as fact. Silly me. But honestly, i'm not suprised that some one would be that rude.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Originally posted by Bamfette
who here asked Chuck at a con if he would be 'screwing up Yellowjacket as much as he screwed up Nightcrawler' and claimed to be a friend of mine from here? he just told me about that now. were you raised by baboons to have such poor social skills? moron. don't go claiming to be a friend of mine if you treat my real friends badly.
hmm...Jill do you think it maybe someone from X-Fan that doesn't like you or Chuck going around claiming that he or she is from Scrawlers, only to make this forum or you look bad? I can pretty much say that a big majority of us like you and Chuck very much. I couldn't believe it would be someone from here. Unless it happened to be a new member or a member that was banned?

What do you think?
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

well, we've only banned a grand total of 3 people. of those, only one had anything against Chuck, and we banned him after this incident actually happened. :p

it didn't affect Chuck's view of me or this forum any, so if that was their plan, it failed. Chuck knows me too well to let something like that affect how he sees me. he just told me because he was just sharing stories of some really thoughtless and/or rude behaviour at cons.

I'm just ticked because this person tried to use knowing me as a way to get a bit closer to him, then they say something so incredibly rude. i am inclined to think this person is just really thoughtless and didn't realize how incredibly rude what they said was.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Wow. Weird story.

Back to Chuck's Avengers :
Do you all think there is a tiny probability to see some Kurt and Wanda interaction in Avengers ?? I can't remember a single Avengers story with a Nightcrawler cameo.
IF Chuck doesn't write Kurt anymore, he'll probably miss him and perhap's use him there, don't you think ?
And IF Chuck is writing a Nighty solo book -I won't give up !:D- I sure hope we'll see Wanda !
www.atlantys.biz

Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

You know, I'm not too nuts about Wanda and Kurt, however, I wouldn't mind seeing my favorite X-Man in my favorit Comic. I mean there has been Avengers cross overs into the X-men, so it's not out of the question. I'd like to see him and Hawkeye in an issue together, even if it takes a romance with Wanda to do it. The swashbuckeling version of Kurt with Hawkeye could make for an entertaining read.
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

Ok, I need to know how to use spoilers because I really want to disscuss this issue!!! I can't belive it!!! It might not even matter though, not many people read this thread it seems.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

to use spoilers, just type [spoiler] spoilers here!!! [/spoiler] :)
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

Thank you Bamfette, you're a dear. [spoiler] If anyone cares, did they just really kill Jack? I mean seriously, was him drifting out to space after exploding the last we're ever going to see him? [/spoiler]
I'm quite astounded if that's how they solved the problem between his powers and she hulks. Any thoughts. First Warbird leaves and now this!!! At least they brought in Hawkeye again.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

I just read Avengers #76 and #77 -yeah, I'm late...
I don't think [spoiler]Jack is really dead. He'll be back.[/spoiler] Well, perhap's not anytime soon...:(
In Avengers#77 the Wasp was...giant ! Is it the first time ? I really like that !
And Clint's speech about his not-so secret identity was hilarious !
www.atlantys.biz

Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

Clint's one of my favortie charicters. He's so much fun. That's why I said that is Kurt does make a cameo, it would be great to pair him up with him. They'd meet and hallarity would follow. I like that the Captain wasn't all uptight either. I hate when they do that to him.

As for jan, I haven't seen her a giant before. I knew that she could in theory. I mean if Hank can shrink to be Ant Man or grow to be Giant Man why couldn't she. There was a while that I stopped reading this title though, so I could have missed it. I also don't think she's done it before because she said "Hank didn't warn me...". She's shrunk down and returned to normal a thousand times. She's beyond Hanks possible "warning" on that one.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

no, this is the first time she's done it. basically, Chuck thought the same way that Warbird did... if Hank could do it, why couldn't she?

I haven't read the actual issue yet, but i have read the scripts for 77-79. so long as the dialogue remained the same, i LOVED the Cap/Clint talk about women. heh.

what did you all think of Kelsey? random trivia! she's named after Chuck's eldest daughter.

and i think he really is dead.in the first draft of the script, there was a funeral for him... when i commented on it, i was told that, yep, he's dead, and not to breathe a word about it. :p it was removed later, for some reason, by request of editors.
Swashbuckler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Swashbuckler »

At first I was a bit weary of Chuck writing Avengers. It seemed after I wasn't pleased with the way the Draco turned out I was fearing that the Avengers (a book I love almost as much) was going to suffer the same fate. I read all the reviews, I read other people's opinions, and I read the issue itself multiple times. I didn't mind the Wasp growing big, though some explanation would have been appreciated, aside from the reader just having to assume that she used Giant Man's pym particles. I also enjoyed the intense battle. I had started to think Austen was uncapable of writing a decent battle scene, I mean after the disaster that The Draco's battle scenes looked like (though it could have been an art thing) and with the horrible Holy Wars battle, I guess I just haven't been impressed with Chuck's fighting sequences. Avengers however seemed to go above and beyond in this department. I loved it. I have a lot of hope for this arc, but also a lot of fears. The art is good in my opinion, i like Copiel (sp?) and the script has potential. I would love to see Captain Britain and Meggan show up (they are England's heroes after all.
My fear for the arc is that Austen IS doing what so many people don't enjoy in his writings. The sex issue. Why must it always be about sex? I don't understand it. It's true, and can be proven in evry issue. Austen ALWAYS has to have a sex subplot. I don't like that, but I don't let it ruin the story, I mean, there's more to it of course, but ti makes me wonder why Austen must use this crutch. I know people talk about sex, and that it's an everyday thing, but so is using the restroom and that's not in every issue (and don't ge tme started on the Havok peeing to re-create Iceman thing).
Anyhow, unlike the Austen haters I try not to look for flaws in his scripts, but for what is good. I hope he does my Avengers justice, and for real, lets down play the sex talk here!!
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

First of all it would absolutly ruin this arc for me if Captain Brittan shows up. I don't mind cross overs, but that would be a bit much for me. The Avengers are in England to handle the Wrecking Crew, not to set up a cameo for Cap Brit (I hope). Besides that little boy is all obssed with Captain America, I would be sorely dissapointed if the story goes and ends up with Captain Brittian being his new hero. The Cap is just a good person in general and I like that his appreciation is being depicted as international.

The Avengers are my favorite heroes. The book in general isn't always my favorite, but as a team I love them. I'm really happy that Chuck is writting now. I thaught it was starting to get weak, if it keeps up at this pace though, it should be amazing. I was anticipating his takeover so much that the guys at the comic store were even making fun of me. The diologue and plot in this issue were really fun. The Wasp being large was actually a really nice touch I thought. She was on her own handeling the Wrecking Crew untill The Cap and Clint got there. How could she have protected anyone in her shrunken or normal size? I thaught it was rather brilliant.

As for the Sex thing.... did you read Avengers 71?!?!?! That was one of the most sexual issues in both art and wrtting that I can think of right now. Chuck isn't the only writter that does it and in my oppinion, at least his is tastefull and not explicit. I was really upset with 71. Kids still read this book!!! NOTHING was left to the immagination. [spoiler] I mean they actually showed Whirlwind ready to rape jan!!! They also had her and Hank wayyyy naked in bed for 2 pages!!!![/spoiler]

Ok, I know i've just dissagreed alot. But I will give in and say that I too found The Draco a bit dissapointing. But it was just one arc. I don't think one mistake should completely distroy a writters rep... especially if they have as much good work as Chuck does.

RIP Jack of Hearts :(
mightiest_mortal
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by mightiest_mortal »

Originally posted by Bamfette
it is indeed true. I have read his first arc, and it kicks ass!

you like Hank Pym, and he will be on Chuck's Avengers team, (did you check the first pages of this weeks issue? hee!) along with Janet, naturally, and Cap, (of course) Iron Man (from the man who brought you US War Machine, this is to be expected...) She-Hulk (who will be doing double duty as Juggernaut's lawyer in Uncanny) Hawkeye, and The Scarlet Witch, there may be a couple more who shw up later as regulars.

and a new and yet old character...
...interesting.. no Quicksilver on his Avengers team...
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

and a new yet old charicter...?

Now that I know that Captain Britian's in, and that he won't be stealing any of the Cap's thunder, this is making me very curiouse. Is it Captain Britian but not the origional?

I like quicksilver, but I really don't like him and Wanda both being Avengers at the same time. And I'd take Wanda over him anyday.