New X-Men 150 5-page Preview

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
anthomaniac1023
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by anthomaniac1023 »

Cover
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5

It looks so good :D *squeal*. I'm soooo excited.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

looks like phoenix is back... gee what a shock - you know i know that Marvel does recurring themes with certain covers (this one hailing back to the "Mutants no more!" issue) so i wonder what this cover originally is uh... recurring from?

yeah yeah yeah, the last Grant Morrison Issue, I bet Paty, Panz and co. will be pleased (hey i only just got Marvel comics back in the Newsagent after a long absence so i guess i'm pleased with anything... tho i see their point :) )

It does look pretty good though.... (and now i must hide from all the anti-Morrison fans :lol :D)
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
msgt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

looks good

Post by msgt »

The previews do look good. But I have a feeling some of us are going to be surprised by what happens in this issue.

msgt
anthomaniac1023
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Originally posted by kladyelf
(and now i must hide from all the anti-Morrison fans :lol :D)
I'll protect you :p.
Rivka
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Rivka »

Originally posted by anthomaniac1023
Originally posted by kladyelf
(and now i must hide from all the anti-Morrison fans :lol :D)
I'll protect you :p.
You know, I am not an "anti-Morrison" fan. I am a long-time comic book reader. I am a published writer. I am a reasonably intelligent person. I worked as a copy-editor for a few years. I read many different kinds of books, not just comic books. I also love comic books. I love Marvel comic books, and I love the X-Men. That being said, Grant Morrison has produced some of the worst writing I've ever read on a comic book, in the last two story arcs of NEW X-MEN.

"Planet X" is drek. It is shameful. Morrison should be ashamed to have his name attached to such poor writing. It is fan-boyish self-absorbed puerlie writing. Morrison seems incapable any more of recognizing when he has jumped the shark. That's because he has legions of fanatic worshippers who find all this intelligent stuff in these NEW X-MEN comics that simply isn't there.

I've read some of the most eloquent and lovely and intelligent exegeses of Morrison's NEW X-MEN, including this dreadful "Planet-X" -- and the fans writing are far more artistic, talented, and intelligent than anything that Morrison has produced in years. Yet out of loyalty to their idol, they rationalize, idealize, and imagine some depth or intelligence in Morrison's NEW X-MEN.

NXM #150 is simply one of the worst X-books produced in ages. Over on the newsgroups, fanboys are busy trying to distract readers from this truth by attacking Chuck Austen and his UNCANNY stories with such cruel, stupid pettiness it makes my head spin. The truth is, Morrison has pissed all over the X-Men in NXM #150, left a huge mess, that he won't clean up.

Morrison is the John Byrne of the next generation. He is becoming just like Byrne, starting down that road. He's getting older, out of touch, and lost in his own world and sure that his conception of things in comics is THE WAY. He has this cadre of loyal fans that swoon all over him and tell him everything he says or does is "Great" so he can't reality check. The same Morrison fanatics attack others who dare to criticize their god's work. Some of us call these the "bullet-takers" when they're busy defending Byrne's ass. Morrison, like Byrne, decides the WAY a comic franchise should be, doesn't care about anyone's opinion but his, and selfishly goes on to wreck the characters and comic book he's working on. Morrison, like Byrne, mocks others, in interviews or in Byrne's case, in posts, for doing things that he himself does in the comics he writes.

Morrison is a John Byrne in the making, from another generation, from another strata of comic-book history and creator-type. The only way to stop this decay is for Morrison to get some real criticism, and for people to wake up and stop calling things like "Planet X" good writing, when it is drek. Emperor Morrison is NOT wearing any clothes as writer of NEW X-MEN, and I'm not going to say he is.

I am not anti-Morrison. I want him to return to the greatness he once was. I think the only way for his fans to keep him from creatively imploding even further is to start being honest about NEW X-MEN, especially the last two story arcs.
anthomaniac1023
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Or, maybe, it actually is intelligent and people do enjoy it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone who does is kidding themselves.
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Banned

Post by Winged Outlaw »

Rivka if you could kindly point out some examples that would be nice.

I mean, of course it makes no sense that Magneto, who was a victim of fascism in his youth, who decided to adopt a militaristic stance on his beliefe, who began to justify the murder of humans and mutants alike in the name of this superiority, would eventually turn into a nazi himself. Oh wait, that actually makes perfect sense. In fact, reading what Magneto has done in the past several decades, I daresay that this is the natural progression of Magneto's journey. He refused to stand down from his path of destruction, its only fitting that he'd fall into madness at the end.

I love this story so far and I believe it has the makings to be one of the greatest X-Men arcs I've ever read, right up there with E is for Extinction. I can't wait to see what happens.
Rivka
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Rivka »

Or, maybe, it actually is intelligent and people do enjoy it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone who does is kidding themselves.
Or maybe "Plaent X" is drek, and some really intelligent, fine people are so besotted with their god Morrison they can't see the truth, and rationalize and idealize and imagine what is not there, using their own intelligence to supply what intelligence Morrison is lacking in these stories.
Rivka
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Rivka »

Originally posted by Winged Outlaw

I mean, of course it makes no sense that Magneto, who was a victim of fascism in his youth, who decided to adopt a militaristic stance on his beliefe, who began to justify the murder of humans and mutants alike in the name of this superiority, would eventually turn into a nazi himself. Oh wait, that actually makes perfect sense. In fact, reading what Magneto has done in the past several decades, I daresay that this is the natural progression of Magneto's journey. He refused to stand down from his path of destruction, its only fitting that he'd fall into madness at the end.

I love this story so far and I believe it has the makings to be one of the greatest X-Men arcs I've ever read, right up there with E is for Extinction. I can't wait to see what happens.
It makes no sense whatsoever, if you know the history of this character, and understand good writing and characterization. The entire portrayal of Magneto in "Planet X" is over the top, nothing but the degrading of this character. What once was a subtle exploration of his psychological fall into madness, Morrison is using as a club to knock readers over the head, so he can use this character, and other characters, as puppets to impose his ideas about superheroes and superhero comics on the readers.

It is not good wriitng. It is some of the worst writing in X-MEN history, and there is no way a rational person can defend the dialogue in "Planet X", the flat characterization, the poor transitions between action scenes, the poor transitions between panels, the way time has elapsed, the gaping plot holes.

The characterization of Magneto is simply Morrison's Silver Age joke.

The scene with Magneto suddenly having crematoria is noxious for a number of different reasons, the least of which is the stupid Nazi-analogy that Morrison is making, which actually isn't needed at all, and is simply over-kill, bonk bonk on our heads, "get it, get it, Magneto is EEEVIL, get it, get it..." No, there are a number of other stupdities about that opening few panels of NXM #149, including a number of jerky transitions and mis-matched time sequences.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

Actually, I m not "anti-Morrison"...what I am is hurt that he should do this kind of character rape to one of my favorite characters...he has taken Mags back to being a one dimensional villain, and that is un-exceptable.

I have met GM several times and don't have a bad opinion of him as a person at all, but I know that he is fully capable of writing much better than this and I'm bitter about the fact that he is giving the X readers not his best efforts...just my sarky little opinion.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
anthomaniac1023
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Fair enough, you've given your reasons for disliking the arc. Magneto's characterization was a bit of a problem for me too at first, before it was explained. I happen to like the explanation, but you don't buy it. I can understand that. I disagree about the flat characterization, I thought the scene with Wolverine & Jean in 148 was especially beautiful.

I know how you feel, as I feel pretty much the exact same way about the other 2 X-Titles as you do about New. I just think you shouldn't be as brash or aggressive when voicing your opinions.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

ok, Rivka, haven't been following this thread closeley since i haven't been reading NXM becuase i happen to agree with you on many points, but.... could we tone it down a notch or three? this is ok in Dave and Paty's forum, they make their own rules there, but as we tried to explain elsewhere, we like to keep discussion elsewhere on the forum more respectful to the creators involved, even if it means holding your tongue a bit. you can still say you don't lik it till yer blue in the face, but watch the way you put it, ok?
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Winged Outlaw »

Originally posted by Rivka
Originally posted by Winged Outlaw

It makes no sense whatsoever, if you know the history of this character, and understand good writing and characterization. The entire portrayal of Magneto in "Planet X" is over the top, nothing but the degrading of this character. What once was a subtle exploration of his psychological fall into madness, Morrison is using as a club to knock readers over the head, so he can use this character, and other characters, as puppets to impose his ideas about superheroes and superhero comics on the readers.

Please, the motivations behind Magneto's decent into madness strike me as some of the most complex and intriguing moments I've ever seen in an X-Men book. I know for a fact that some people will disagree, mostly out of a love for a character, at least in the way he acted before. But the man has changed. Under Claremont's pen, the man had many, MANY chances to turn from his self-destructive methods and do some real good for mutant-kind. But he never stuck with it. For some reason, he always went back to the path of violence, and violence will only spawn more violence. He's broken down, washed up, and at the moment of his greatest achievement, he can neither enjoy nor control it. I love it. To me, this story isn't some kind of mockery of the Silver Age. Its simply showing a corallary to something Morrison brought up early on. Namely, Xavier's plan is flawed, but so is Magneto's. Xavier is far too idealistic, and oblivious to human nature. Magneto simply views humans as a speed-bump in the way of mutant superiority. And after so many years of believing in this superiority, he's even applying it to other mutants. He obviously sees his new brotherhood as beneath him, and Esme a "means to an end." Yes, this characterization is over the top, but it is not at all to be unexpected. This was where Magneto was headed the ENTIRE time.

It is not good wriitng. It is some of the worst writing in X-MEN history, and there is no way a rational person can defend the dialogue in "Planet X", the flat characterization, the poor transitions between action scenes, the poor transitions between panels, the way time has elapsed, the gaping plot holes.

The characterization of Magneto is simply Morrison's Silver Age joke.

The scene with Magneto suddenly having crematoria is noxious for a number of different reasons, the least of which is the stupid Nazi-analogy that Morrison is making, which actually isn't needed at all, and is simply over-kill, bonk bonk on our heads, "get it, get it, Magneto is EEEVIL, get it, get it..." No, there are a number of other stupdities about that opening few panels of NXM #149, including a number of jerky transitions and mis-matched time sequences.
Fine, believe whatever you want, but I'm enjoying this story because of the way I've interpreted it above. I respect your opinion, so stop saying that me and anyone else enjoying this story is some kind of sheep or blind Morrison-fan or whatever, because its very tiring, and it'll only piss us off. You're not winning over anyone by acting this way.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

:mags:
Hmmm... there were a lot of Germans who avidlly followed Hitler. Now, in light of a different perspective and wider knowledge, some of them are dumbfounded that they did what they did and thought what they thought at the time. then there are the people who still believe hitler was the best thing since little green apples! We call them Neo Nazis...

No accounting for taste. To each his won, said the old lady as she kissed the cow!

If the behavioral transitions of any of these characters had been well planned and well executed in a believable manner, I don't think we, who are offended by this story arc, would hav taken such offense. Even if we didn't agree with what the writer has done.
There are things I don't like that Chris has done...there are things I don't like that Chuck has done...but that is beside the point. They did them well...with attentionto detail and a respect for the continuity that was established with the character. And they worked with other writers to present a unified characterization. This is professionality. this is respecting that other creators have created these characters you are only being allowed to play with...and respecting their view of the character and the character's established history. Now, this doesn't mean you can never change the character...you can...at least to some degree. But a character has a core being that he must always come back to ..or he is not that character any more. He can grow, he can have insights that can radically affect him. But he cannot be allowed to lose his core identity.Captain America would never become a Nazi...Scott would never cheat on jean...Magneto would NEVER create crematoria! He might rant and rave and self destruct...but the crematoria was so out of character...if you understand Holocaust survivers...that it was totally unbelievable.
The devolution of Magneto ..especially the willful destruction of the character so blatantly...is offensive to Jewish readers who loved him and identified with him even though he was cast in a negative aspect in his dialectic with Xavier. He had some valid points. Xavier had some valid points. If they could have worked together, they could have achieved their shared goals. But each was too proud...too blindly convinced their path was the only way. And that was the great tragedy in this dialectic. It was the core of the X men mythos.
To wantonly destroy the dialectic and all it's possiblilities for stories was nothing more than a slap in the face to the industry and to Marvel...the corporate entity in general and the fans in particular.I personally take umbrage at this overweening hubris.
this, as much as anything else infuriates long time fans like Rivka and myself. How dare anyone...and I don't care if it is Morrison or Claremont or God himslef...come in and wantonly say that things we have cared about for almost half a century don't matter! He'll change it anyway he wants...as badly as he wants...as crazilly as he wants.
And then...poof...he's gone... like a hurricane, leqving destruction of all held dear.
some people may like the hurricane...revelling in the force of the wind and the grandeur of the chaos as it sweeps ashore. they are not the ones who generally go out and pick up the broken bodies and try to heal the wounds left by the utter destruction.

the saving grace here is that Morrison , like the destructive hurricane, is gone. 151 through 154 will be of no consequence...and then the massive cleanup after the Morristorm will have to begin if the X empire is to be saved...or even salvaged.
It is my personal opinion that in years to come, this story arc will be looked back on as the most dreadful storytelling and character destruction that ever shamed the pages of a comic book. Time, of course, will tell. What is hot and exciting one day is ho hum and blah the next.
I do not for one minute think that this story arc will cause writers not to use Jean/Phoenix again for the next one hundred fifty years! She is too good a character...too popular...too merchandisable! So is Magneto. They are both in the third movie...and they are the Claremont versions...not the Morrison ones. Morrison is a two year drop in the nearly half a century bucket that is the X Men. Negligible. Anything can be retconned...fixed...you just gotta get someone in who knows how to write well and wants to do it.
Then, VOILA the X shall rise again!...and so shall Magneto!Time heals all wounds ...and wounds all heels...

Paty
:mags:
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

crematoriums? seriously? yikes ....
they only have the previous issue in the newsagent - (i finally get my hands on it!!) and the Mags in there is disappointing - alcoholism i'd find believable but kick is unlikely... i've already put my opinion in another thread (Draco) so i'm not gonna repeat myself - i guess i'd be more upset if this was Kurt, but i can see and appreciate Paty's POV.

The art is nice, but i'm a sucker for art... :p
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
anthomaniac1023
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

What a beautiful issue. The emotion in that final (or second to final) scene was incredible. Morrison's run is definitely going to be remembered as one of the best.
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Winged Outlaw »

Hear hear! With the exception of Murder at the Mansion, I've loved Morrison's run and Planet X simply reinforced everything I've liked about it. I can't wait to see where we go from here...
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

I'm sorry I have to disagree with the whole Planet X arc. Probably one of the worst storylines I have ever read.

[spoiler]Would Morrison have us believe Jean could be killed off in such a fashion? Come on! Jean being a telepath could have easily read Mags thoughts and taken appropriate action. He was after all without his helmet on. I don't believe Jean can be that careless, especially with all her training.[/spoiler]

Secondly, the continuity is out of wack. The Professor himself admitted to his lawyer in Canada in Uncanny #435 that he had problems with a student uprising. At least Austen acknowledged the continuity to the uprising. Magneto destroying New York was flawed on Morrison's part. None of the other books, including UC, even acknowledged it. So I would like to say IMO this arc is not even from Earth 616. I personally cannot accept this arc as being in our reality. Will everything be back to normal in the next issues after #155? Will the writers' simply ignore Morrison's careless work? I hope so!

If I were editing New X I would have laughed at Morrison and asked to see the real arc. I can't believe this arc was actually given the paper to publish it on. I'm not anti-Morrison. I respect him as a writer. Nor will I attack him as a person. That is why I haven't commented on Planet X, except save the continuity problem, until I have read all the books. Well now I have and I can't fathom why Marvel allowed this arc to be published. I enjoyed The Uprising. I simply found Planet X to be poorly done. Not to mention reducing a fine character as Magneto into a drug taking madman.

Good writing? Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. And it is just as valid as the next person's but a good example of good writing was, "The Dark Phoenix Saga" of the 80's. Most people here maybe too young or not born when this storyline first came out. It was truely a work of art on Claremont's part. Also, issues that go further back than that. The issues that created the new X-Men were some of the best stories. And I'm not saying there are not good writers now.

Morrison's Planet X left a bad taste in my mouth. It's like the same after taste from having saccharin(sweet n low) in my tea or coffee. :ick

Equal anyone?
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Winged Outlaw »

Northstar, in Thor, Asgard is currently floating over New York. In the Avengers, recently every capital city in the world disappeared (and not too long ago, the entire WORLD was under seige by Kang). In the Amazing Spiderman, one of Doctor Strange's enemies invaded New York with mystical monsters....

None of these stories filtered over into other titles. So I ask you, aren't you being just a little bit biased giving Morrison crap over this when so many other books do the exact same thing?
anthomaniac1023
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Being somewhat cut loose from the restraints of continuity is one of the things that has let Marvel rise up from the messiness of the 90's. It makes it easier to follow each title on its own without having to go out and find issues of several other titles to understand the stories. It takes away limitations and allows the creators more free reign, which usually leads to better stories. And Outlaw's right, Morrison is definitely not the only writer who does it, in fact, he's in the majority.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Continuity is a big issue with me. If the other non-X books don't bother to recognize what happened in New York that is fine. I don't read other Marvel books really. Except maybe Emma Frost or Mystique. But continuity between the X-books should be a constant. You cannot have Wolverine in Azazel's dimension in UC and at the same time have him hurdling towards the sun in New X. Wolverine cannot be in two places at once. Nor can Xavier be walking in one book and crippled again in another. If Wolverine belongs in Uncanny(meaning, that is the title he currently is being used in, then the other books can't use him). He should remain in that title unless the writers of the other books need to borrow him for an arc they want to write.

This all has to do with being believable. I would like the stories to be believable. That is what made one X title so great in the past. The X characters remained in Uncanny unless a crossover to another Marvel book needed to be written, but even then the writers colaborated with one another making sure there was some sort of continuity.

I gave up comics ten years ago due to boring arcs and rising prices in comics, but recently returned because of the X-2 movie. I may in fact go back to reading just Uncanny for the simple fact I'm really having a problem with continuity between the X books.

BTW Winged and anthomaniac, this has nothing to do with Morrison. I would have said the same thing about Austen, Claremont or other writers. I could have easily said that Austen was not in continuity. I was only commenting on the Planet X arc which I did not like for several reasons.

But I would like to say, If continuity is not being carried over to other Marvel titles, can it not at least be carried over in the other X titles?
anthomaniac1023
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Quote: "If Wolverine belongs in Uncanny(meaning, that is the title he currently is being used in, then the other books can't use him). He should remain in that title unless the writers of the other books need to borrow him for an arc they want to write."

Actually, he "belongs" in the New team, so if you used your logic it would be the other titles that were breaking continuity, not New. However, Marvel is currently pressing for Wolverine to be everywhere at once because he makes them money, being one of their most popular characters. They're not going to limit him to just one book.

Also, since New sells better than the other x-titles, it would really be their job to cater to its continuity, rather than the other way around.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

It really doesn't matter whose continuity. Whether it be New or UC as long as there was constant continuity within the X Titles.

Non-X Titles, like Wolverine, being exempt of course.
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Actually, he "belongs" in the New team, so if you used your logic it would be the other titles that were breaking continuity, not New. However, Marvel is currently pressing for Wolverine to be everywhere at once because he makes them money, being one of their most popular characters. They're not going to limit him to just one book.
Actually, he belongs to both Uncanny and New, officially. It's just that Joe Casey and Chuck Austen have used him less than Grant Morrison
Also, since New sells better than the other x-titles, it would really be their job to cater to its continuity, rather than the other way around.
One sided continuity doesn't really work, though. New X-Men, New Mutants and Uncanny X-Men not only take place in the same world, but they take place in the same BUILDING! Yes, the other X-titles should reflect Morrison's continuity, but his title should reflect theirs as well.
anthomaniac1023
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

1. I'm not the one that's trying to limit him to one book.

2. His entire run was obviously planned out way in advance, and having to bend to continuity would probably hinder the story. I think it worked well with Casey, where they could respect each other's continuity without stepping on each other's toes.