Abyss goes fuzzy...

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by Siona »

What's the deal with Abyss suddenly looking so much like Kurt? I mean, wasn't me made like cut-up ribbons last time?

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Abyss
Lubber
Lubber

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by Abyss »

My first exposure to Abyss has been in the Draco arc of Uncanny X-Men, and the young, noseless Abyss made an immediate impression! Fuzzy-byss has a cute and innocent quality. I liked him in that arc and had been unaware he was ever depicted differently. With the help of Abyss' HELL, I've learned more about him, and Nils Styger is becoming one of my favorite characters!
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by scheherazade »

Yeah... Maybe he's able to surpress the ribbonyness while not using it? or... Maybe they did something to him while he was in that containment thing.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by Bamfette »

as per the original question - I talked to Phil Tan about this, and from what i've been able to gather, he likely was given reference of the wrong character. when i told him to check out Ryan's site after seeing the first pages, he seemed completely unaware that he was drawing him completely different than he had appeared previously. Abyss had a NOSE in the first Draco issue and it had to be Photoshopped out when it was coloured.... i have scans of the original pages. but there was only so much that could be done with Photoshop, so the tech bits and such went bye bye.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by Gaz »

That's crazy how many mistakes were made with the Draco: the funky (still cute) looking Abyss, the wrongly colored Jillian, etc.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by BamfChyck »

Don't forget Azzy growing some extra fingers and losing his tail.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by BamfChyck
Don't forget Azzy growing some extra fingers and losing his tail.
Yes...he actually spoke of his tail when it wasn't even attached to his arse...made me laugh that...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by Bamfette »

didn't make Chuck laugh :p he was so fed up with all the mistakes (not just in this, but in general). he's incredibly pleased with Sal, though, which is good, because it appears Marvel will actually let him keep him this time. it's all turning out like he actually wrote, unlike usual. (except for with Sean Phillips which also actually followed the script... but Marvel wouldn't let Chuck keep him on the book no matter how much he begged 'not the right look for X-Men' or some such. bah.)
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by scheherazade »

Am incredibly pleased with Sal too *g* I'm seriously considering posting the second 'she lies with angels' cover on me wall. *gazes* Good to know he'll be around for a while.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by Northstars Love »

The art was a complete mess in Draco. It was part of the reason I didn't enjoy it so much.

Here again, collaboration between the writer and artist needs to make a comeback. Too many errors IMO. And it really shouldn't happen.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by Slarti »

I agree with NL, the art was so different from what I expected that I was thown for the whole Draco arc. Jillian was the wrong color, Abyss looked wrong, almost all the characters looked off to me.

Honestly, though I know each artist adds his own style to the characters I didn't agree with any of the art in Draco -- I'm glad LaRocca is back with at least a consistant style and good grasp of the characters.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Itwas a weird arc as far as the illustrations went. What was with kurts eyes being black and doing the reflective-dog-pupil thingy? Aren't his eyes supposed to be completely yellow?
one name: Bruce Campbell
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by sevati »

Originally posted by CurlyyHairGirl
Aren't his eyes supposed to be completely yellow?
In the past, the artists have put in black pupils to show emotions and which way Kurt was looking. It's very hard to get a character to convey emotion with blank eyes.
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Well I knew that, but I guess it was just so weird, the style, compared to the other versions.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by taekwondodo »

Originally posted by sevati
Originally posted by CurlyyHairGirl
Aren't his eyes supposed to be completely yellow?
In the past, the artists have put in black pupils to show emotions and which way Kurt was looking. It's very hard to get a character to convey emotion with blank eyes.
Yeah, but this wasn't yellow eyes w/black pupils so you could see where he was looking or get some emotion. This was little, squinty, black pits of doom w/a bit of yellow glowing in the center if I remember correctly. I'm too lazy to go check the book though, so I could be wrong.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by sevati »

Originally posted by taekwondodo
Yeah, but this wasn't yellow eyes w/black pupils so you could see where he was looking or get some emotion. This was little, squinty, black pits of doom w/a bit of yellow glowing in the center if I remember correctly. I'm too lazy to go check the book though, so I could be wrong.
Ewie. I didn't realize it was that different. Stupid Marvel.
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Yep, they were squinty black pits of doom with glowy yellow in the middle. Geez, when I first started reading the Draco his eyes freaked me out and Nils depiction in the last one kinda sucked.
Zix
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Abyss goes fuzzy...

Post by Zix »

And they kept sticking pupils in his eyes at completely pointless times. Not to show emotion or because he was looking in a specific direction. Definatly some strange things going on with his eyes in that series.

Nils:abyss = best secondary character ever.
Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member# 31 :engarde

:bunnyWe are the Bunny Warriors. Fear Us. :bunnyBunny impersonator #12 :bunny