Excalibur General Discussion

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I've heard speculation that [spoiler]"Magneto" was just another hallucination. Or Joseph.[/spoiler]

:X

(Does speculation require spoiler space? Better put it in anyway...)
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Lord_Magneto
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Lord_Magneto »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
I've heard speculation that [spoiler]"Magneto" was just another hallucination. Or Joseph.[/spoiler]

:X

(Does speculation require spoiler space? Better put it in anyway...)
[spoiler]
This isn't an hallucination nor a clone, It's
The REAL deal. Magneto uses his powers to lift what we thought was his own coffin. As the coffin mysteriously lifts beside Xavier, a voice says "You're late." Xavier responds, "Nice of you to meet me. And to help." The voice says, "These days, what with all that's happened..." Cut to the final full page with the silouette of Magneto similar to Xavier's on the first page and Magnus shaking Charles's hand, "...it seemed more prudent to keep a low profile." The Next statement on that page says, "With a little help from my friends!" and the Next Issue box on the final page says, "Guess who's joining Professor X and Magneto on Genosha?"
[/spoiler]
"I know … something of grief. Search throughout my homeland, you will find none who bear my name. Mine was a large family and it was slaughtered – without mercy, without remorse. So speak not to me of grief, boy. You know not the meaning of the word!" Magneto, In Uncanny X-men #150
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

I've read issue #1.
Great title. Far better than Claremont's recent issues of X-Treme X-Men.

I'm ALMOST as happy as Paty concerning Magneto's return.
To see Magnus and Xavier working together again is soooo cool ! I'm quite happy about the Reload event so far.
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Sorte Springer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Sorte Springer »

Am I the only one who does not think that Morrison and Claremont are not mutually exclusive. Morrison is one of the few writers who have been portraying X-men with a much psycological insight as Claremont did in his first period as a writer on the series. The psycological angel on the the characters is what I have always liked best in X-men.
Morrisons New X-men was really interesting to read.
I don´t mind that there has been some "cleaing up" after Morrisons period, because the end was rather messy, not stupid or silly, but messy. Somethings had to be straightend up so the story can continue.
I think Claremont is continuing where Morrison left in style " of Darkest Nights I & II" is some of the best X-men writing I have seen so far.

I feel this way about X-men, as long as I get scared, repulsed, heart broken or sad, its all fine with me. I just don´t want to get bored. Morrison was anything but boring, and Claremont I trust, will not be boring either.

And my ten cents on the whole discussion about Morrions lack of continuety: IT´S JUST A COMIC BOOK.
A ve in om de flest æ de bedst eller båre de flest.
- Niels Hausgaard
KurtnMeggan
Lubber
Lubber

Post by KurtnMeggan »

I think this is going to become my favorite of the new X-Men books...Claremont's really doing good stuff with Magneto and Chuck.

And Callisto looks WAY better by Lopresti than she did under Kordey.:)
Meggan and Kurt! Love them! You know you wanna;):meggan
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Issue#2 was highly enjoyable.
Not a lot of action, but this kind of scene between Xavier and Magneto is the reason why I like their friendship.
The chess game reminded me, of course, of the one in the first film.

Magneto has finally become this character I appreciate again.
Well done, Chris ! :)

Also, Im in love with "Wicked" ! Shes the sexiest X-character Ive met in years ! Roâââr ! :love:love:love
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tracker »

I agree...I really like the way Magneto is being portrayed. This title has an opportunity to go in a different direction than the other X-Titles...and I am looking foward to the next issue.

BTW...anyone else feel a teeeeny tiiiny twinge of sympathy for Unus? He's a jerk but that....*shudders*. Ugh.:yech
Sail away where no ball and chain
Can keep us from the roarin' waves
Together undivided, but forever we'll be free.
So sail away aboard our rig
The moon is full and so are we,
We're seven drunken pirates
We're the seven deadly sins.
~Flogging Molly

Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#40 :engarde
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

I felt sorry for Freakshow. Poor widdle guy...and Wicked for that matter. And Magneto...to have to deal with this. His past come to haunt him all over again. And he won't forgive himself for being unable to stop it either. And so much horror committed in his name.
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Originally posted by Tracker

BTW...anyone else feel a teeeeny tiiiny twinge of sympathy for Unus? He's a jerk but that....*shudders*. Ugh.:yech
Nope, absolutely none.. his little "who's da man?" bit? uuugh
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Unus is an idiot! It will be interesting how he will try to take over Genosha. LOL!

Amazing how comic characters never age isn't it? :D
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Originally posted by **Northstars Love**
Amazing how comic characters never age isn't it? :D
Or, at least, never mature.
Sorte Springer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Sorte Springer »

I just picked up Excalibur 2# a few day ago. I must say Chris Claremont is back in action! The story has an air of over all cuteness I have not seen since back at CCs first run on X-men.
Wicked is such an achetypical Claremont character, a tough little girl with a big heart, i like that. I also really like Freakshow, it is nice for once to see a mutant whos power is not either some sort of telepathy or the abillity to manipulate a vaugely defined energy or force field. There are to many of that type of powers in the X-books.
A ve in om de flest æ de bedst eller båre de flest.
- Niels Hausgaard
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Originally posted by Sorte Springer
I also really like Freakshow, it is nice for once to see a mutant whos power is not either some sort of telepathy or the abillity to manipulate a vaugely defined energy or force field. There are to many of that type of powers in the X-books.
Amen to that. There are too many mutants that have overlyactive mutant powers (AKA telepaths, telekinetics, etc) It is nice to have more...physical mutations.

I too want to see how Unus is gonna pull off trying to become a ruler:smirk
one name: Bruce Campbell
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

:mags
LOL... the only way Unus could ever become a ruler is if a steam roller flattened him and someone painted lines on him at one inch intervals!!!
Train wrecks are certainly not boring... but I doubt you would want to be in one... The last half of Morrison's run was one non boring train wreck after another...lots of carnage and damage..and definately not boring...but with no socially redeeming value either.

I just picked up the advance copy for Excalibur 3...heh heh... If Chris is going where I think he is...heheheheheheheeeee...Personally I would use that tact to take care of everything...or nearly everything that happened in Planet X...you could DO it! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!
Whether Chris will use what he is developing here to wipe Planet X or the majority of it from the face of the literary world, remains to be seen... but he COULD do it with what he has started in the first couple of pages of this book!
I shall say no more about that... but what really blew my sox off was when Mags took off his shirt...DROOOOOOLL!!!
SERIOUS DROOOOOOLLLL...slorb...slurp...
Paty catches breath and rolls over to drool on book again...slobber...

Uhhh...'scuse me....
wink, wink... nudge nudge...knowhatImean? ...knowhatImean?
Pant...pant...
Paty
:mags !
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

I lost what you were talking about, Paty, as soon as you started talking about trains(curse my bad memory):shrug.

Excalibur#3?:ooh Magneto shirtless??? *plugs ears and chants annoyingly* I can't here you, nana nana nan na!
Now I will spend all my time waiting for issue 3:hrumph just to see that *drool*...:shifty...nobody saw that! NOBODY!!!
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tracker »

Originally posted by CurlyyHairGirl
Excalibur#3?:ooh Magneto shirtless??? *plugs ears and chants annoyingly* I can't here you, nana nana nan na!
Now I will spend all my time waiting for issue 3:hrumph just to see that *drool*...:shifty...nobody saw that! NOBODY!!!
Keep your...uh, shirt on. I just got ish #3 in the mail today. Magneto is in a very tight undershirt (no sleeves)...but still dressed.

Sorry to disappoint :P
~Flogging Molly

LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

But he was wet! :love:lick;pant
[spoiler]well, in a muscle shirt/wife beater and shorts and swimming.[/spoiler] Although, given that I just have a page Paty was kind enough to send me, I have no clue [spoiler]how he went from pants (looks like dress pants) to shorts (with an elastic waist) and why Charles's feet look like he has no toes at all or where his lower legs go when he is in the water...[/spoiler]
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

That's ok Tracker, I got it yesterday also *sniffle*.

As for what LadyErin said[spoiler]maybe his feet were not able to be seen, maybe it was just all the bubble going to the surface that blocked out his feet.[/spoiler]:shrug
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Um...[spoiler] ok..hope i did that right... I didn't say he was completely undressed...LOL...just that he took his shert off! that undershirt /tank top is soooo good on him...even if it is white and not red or purple! LOL...He took off his trousers to reveal his swim trunks...or, dare I day it?... underpants? Nah.. I cannot see Mags in boxers.... those are swimtrunks...he KNEW where they were going! anyway, he took of his trousers...the very idea of that makes me drool... at the same time...stop it, Paty... that he put on the swim fins! look at the silouhette... fins...a least I hope thatls not his feet... he would have feet like donand duck! Hopefully he took off his trousers...drool... before he put on his swim fins or he sould still be sitting on the dock! LOL And all this happened in the panel where chuck splooshed into the water and took off to save the day while Mags hopped around putting on swim fins! LOLOLOL...Looks like the things Chuckie dheeze is strapping onto his legs is a sort of underwater ski jet thingie...sorta like Iron Man's boot jets...so where did he get them? Oh, yeah... the coffin, in which he was smuggling food, armaments and bodies! right...LOL But I am not gonna quibble..chuckie probablly has a lot of shi'ar tec lying around the mansion that he practices with every day...if I were him, I would...anything for a little mobility...if you are not handicapped you don't know how frustrating it is... and if you are...you do. I do sympathize with Chas about the legs and would, if in the same position, do anything or use anything to give my self mobility...just as i use anything possible to give myself more sight...even if i look funny doing it or wearing it...and NO the Mags helmet doesn't help me see better...but you would be surprised how it does NOT block the peripheral vision. I always thought it would.... but it doesn't! whoo Hoooo!
Back to topic...Mags in a tight undershirt...tank top... yummy... sometimes better than full nudity... but only SOMETIMES...LOL [/spoiler]

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

I DID IT!
You must admit I did it, I did it, I did it
You thought I couldn't do it but indeed I did!
You thought that I would rue it...
You doubted I'd do it...
But now you must admit it that succeed I did!
Oh...POOP...the damn operettas are sneaking in again...
sigh
LOL...time for a filk...

In the X Men...
That Callisto is a flirt...
In the X Men
And it really couldn't hurt..
In the X Men...
To watch Mags take off his shirt...
In the X Men...
In the X Men.

In the X Men...
Shirtless Mags is hard to top...
In the X Men...
He could cause your heart to stop...
In the X Men...
And Chuck does a belly flop!
In the X Men...
In the x Men.

OK... now I feel better...
LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tracker »

Originally posted by Paty
In the X Men...
Shirtless Mags is hard to top...
In the X Men...
He could cause your heart to stop...
In the X Men...
And Chuck does a belly flop!
In the X Men...
In the x Men.
:*D Paty, that's great...ya kill me!:*D

Seriously though guys...[spoiler]What's up with Chuck and his random visions? Is it the influence of Hack or something else?[/spoiler]
~Flogging Molly

LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Yeah Paty, that was great! :LOL

But serious, I think that
[spoiler]black band around Charles's legs was like a rubber band to keep his lower legs together while he swam[/spoiler] but if you look a couple panels before that he is [spoiler]sitting on the pier, his legs over the edge. His feet don't have toes. Like he still has shoes on or something...[/spoiler] It threw me when I saw it.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Yep.. got the issue right here. [spoiler] it looks like the thingie holding Chuckies legs together is some sort of a het device. the pix of himunderwater has lines of force coming from tht ring...like tiny jet swoop lines. I put the page under my cctv...which magnifies it forty times..sometimes I can even see the grain inthe paper with that thingie!...LOL... I saw the jet lines and wanted to make sure I "saw what I saw" as Mags would say. The lines are fine and seem to represent some sort of jet propulsion that would come out in streamers all around the device. I would assume some sort of psychic control of which small streams operate at what pressure, giving him the ability to steer...and he would havehad to have practiced with this heretofore to be ale to steer well...if at all. And it makes sense putting the mechanism that far up the leg.Actually, since his legs are supposed to be paralyzed, it would make more sense to put them in the femoral area, above the bend inthe leg... unless Chuck can actually hold his knee in a rigid position...something I am not sure he is supposed to do.
I think the absence of toes in that one panel is artistic license...not paddle feet. they just didnt put the toe lines in...LOL
And the psychic break may have been triggered this time by Hack, but it seems Chuck is no stranger to some trouble with his telepathy. In former issues, going all the way back past the intro of the new team inGS one...charles had a huge psychic capacity. He reached around the world and enlisted every person tofight an alien invader, the Z'nox, way back in issue 65 of the original run. Xavier, in spite of bad writing has a heavy duty projection power...when he chooses to use it. Now, in that story,he had help from his friends tomagnify the power...but chuckie cheeze should nave no prob gettin into everyone's head and making them see what he wants them to see. But is this power held in check? or is his controlof it slipping? and what is all this mental acivity over the years doing to his brain. we have seen Mags go through serious problems with his power..and it has tended to fluctuate and sometimes cause him damage...it even now gives him headaches under certain circumstances. I posit that Chuck's powers are headed for a runaway phase and Planet X'x massive damage, including the creematoria in midtown, was a projection of Chuck's mind...as no such things were found in any other book...were they? so...to fix the whole mess, most easily without retconning it altogether, claremont has gotta give a reason for us...and everyone in the books... thinking that such massive stuff had taken place and was actually therre...when in fact, it wasn't. Iasiest way to do it is blame it on a psychic episode of Chuck's powerful mind. Control slippage...his own fears manifesting...the worse thing he can think of...and it becomes true...simply because he sees it as true... and so does everybody else there at the time. The all the superheroes went to Brooklyn after a phone call bullshit is so embarassing as to be not mentioned, hopefully, and let us pray the fans forget...LOL [/spoiler]
OK.. if I did it again,I got this thing licked! Ha!
Glad you liked my little off the top filkettes...LOL That is such an easy song to bastardize! LOL
In the X Men...
Dear Magneto's sure to please...
In the X Men...
Showing skin is just a tease...
In the X Men...
He will have us on our knees...
In the X Men...
In the X Men.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAA!!!

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Gambit~Iceman
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Gambit~Iceman »

Hey Bamfette do you know if Archangel and Husk are still supposed to show up at all in this title? Or has that changed now too?
You can be pushed just so far, until one day the man has to claim what is rightfully his!
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Ok. Question about issue seven. What's your opinion?
[spoiler] In issue 7, Erik starts talking about his time in the concentration camp and some guy who likes taking blood samples and messes with some of the prisoners DNA so that their mutations come out. Is it just me, or did the description of that man sound on the mark for Mr. Sinister? There was a mind flash, or whatever ya wanna call it about him in issue 5 also.[/spoiler]
So what are your thoughts on this?