Uncanny X-Men General Discussion Reload

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Here's a link for a 5 page preview of soon to be released Uncanny X-Men #445

#445 Preview

From the short reviews I've read, I just can't wait to get this issue.

coughKurorocough
Hehe :storm:love
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

*pukes on Kuroro's shoes*

Oh, hey, sorry. I guess. :rolleyes

*looks at preview* Oooooeees. Kurt in shackles! Sexay!
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

I concur! Kurt in shackles is pretty sexy! :lick :hot
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

:tonguewag guess what? I have read #445, and there wasn't anything in it I didn't like. It was just all good. It was just plain awesome. Best thing I've read in ages. :content
Of course, I'm the old-fashioned sort. Oh, and Kuroro fans will wet themselves over this one!
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Originally posted by Elwing
:tonguewag guess what? I have read #445, and there wasn't anything in it I didn't like. It was just all good. It was just plain awesome. Best thing I've read in ages. :content
Of course, I'm the old-fashioned sort. Oh, and Kuroro fans will wet themselves over this one!

I guess I'll have to put the Depends on before I read this issue. :LMAO
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Originally posted by Elwing
I just got mine and Elwing is pretty damn close about how a Kuroro fan would react.

Let me be the first to go-
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Now it's out of my system until the next issue. I hope Claremont isn't just teasing us! (Kuroro fans, that is)

IMHO, the best Uncanny I've seen in a while, although I'm the first to admit, I prefer the more traditional comics as well.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

So, what Claremont said earlier this year about a possible Kurt and Ororo relationship could be true ??
Man, oh, man. Before the movie, I never really thought about it. Now, I just love the idea ! :)

And Alan Davis's Nightcrawler is perfect. :bamf
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
SmoothBamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by SmoothBamf »

I have not received the new issue yet, but I'm sure it's good. But this Kurt and Ororo thing, I'm already not a big fan of it. They just don't go together. I don't like the movies influencing the comic, it should always be the other way around, and besides there are three great old flames he could hook up with. I would love to see him with Cerise,(she's my personal favorite of his girlfriends) since Meggon is married(although I wouldnt mind them killing Captain Britain and briging the two of them together) and Amanda is in charge of limbo.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Cerise, Meggan, and Amanda are all MIA and have been for quite some time. I think bringing them back just to be a love interest would feel contrived and forced.

And in real life, broken up couples tend to stay broken up.

I don't think the kuroro phenomenon is based in the movie. I personally don't think they had any sort of romantic chemistry at all in X2. They were just short of a full out argument every time they talked.

I think saying that the movie paired them up is like saying Evolution paired Kurt and Todd up. It didn't. People just elaborate in their own mind to help their fantasies along.

Anyway, the Kurt/Ororo pairing has its roots waaaaay back in the comics. Back when Storm still had a mohawk. I think she was also powerless at the time. There was some definite hinting that that was where they were going, though nothing really came of it.

Pretty sure Dave and CC were the creative team at the time, even.

In short: It probably has nothing to do with the movie.

That said, I'm not a big fan of the Kurt/Ororo pairing at this point in the comics, either. Kurt is at a point in his development where he probably should be alone so as not to be hampered by some big development hanging over him.

And Storm, quite frankly, is completely distant and detached from EVERYONE.

That's not a place to start a relationship. Suddenly pairing them may make a minority cheer, but it will likely just seem contrived to the rest of us.

And in response to the 445 Preview:
Angsty angry Kurt. Upset that he's outcast.

OH.

JOY.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by Crawler

And Storm, quite frankly, is completely distant and detached from EVERYONE.
No man, it's totally cool. She got a heart transplant so now she has empathy and shit. Which is good, cause Kurt is in a bad place and feels like no matter what he does it just doesn't make any difference. Oh yeah, and he called himself a monster. This is a character direction with a lot of potential, I think!

[spoiler]"But when I watch you move, I see a grace that makes my heart ache. I was hoping you wouldn't mind... sharing it with me."[/spoiler]

:shakeno
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I don't think the kuroro phenomenon is based in the movie. I personally don't think they had any sort of romantic chemistry at all in X2. They were just short of a full out argument every time they talked.

I think saying that the movie paired them up is like saying Evolution paired Kurt and Todd up. It didn't. People just elaborate in their own mind to help their fantasies along.
I would definitely disagree with you there, although it seemed like the attraction was stronger on Ororo's side than Kurt's.

One thing you need to remember. While not a screenwriter, Claremont was a consultant for the movie. He also wrote the novelization, which showed a stronger attraction, (and a few flirtatious moments) than in the actual film. It may have been CC's influence that nudged Kurt and Ororo closer.

And as far as Storm not having a heart. I can't say much about the more recent portrayal of Storm because I haven't read that many X-tremes, but in the earlier UXM she was quite compassionate, just a little standoffish because of her need for control.

bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

Oh, and Kuroro fans will wet themselves over this one!
I wet myself! (I think we should have a smilie for that... wetting yourself, I mean :D)

Not the best story, maybe, but seeing Kurt trussed-up like that was worth my two bucks :naughty
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

Anyway, the Kurt/Ororo pairing has its roots waaaaay back in the comics. Back when Storm still had a mohawk. I think she was also powerless at the time. There was some definite hinting that that was where they were going, though nothing really came of it.

Pretty sure Dave and CC were the creative team at the time, even.
[/b]
It goes back much further. Claremont smartly and charmingly includes a reference to Uncanny #101. Nice ode to Dave's work by Davis, and you have to love all the background detail in that scene:love
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

You also have to vomit up your colon and swallow it again so you can vomit it up again... multiple times... because that scene is deeply deeply contrived and rings false to anyone who isn't just a total 'shipper who doesn't care how they get together, just that it has a maximum of sap.

When's the last time they actually saw each other and TALKED? They've been apart for ages! This is my interpretation:

Ugly ass hair Storm: Oh Kurt! You've changed! And I've changed too! And here we are, changed, and we don't know each other at all any more! But you know, you are still just so DAMN HOT.

Whiny, angsty Kurt: Truly, this was meant to be!!

I... I miss Morrison so much. I can't help comparing this scene to when he had Angel drag Beak off into the bushes for awkward sex. Now that was cute. Because it was real... :\

I'd still like to thank Claremont for being better than the last guy on this title. It's nice to feel the motivation to say more about an issue than "It was teh suxxor."
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

well, everybody is entitled to an opinion. Personally, I found it a very logical evolution from all those scenes in the early Uncannies where kurt used his gentlemanly charm on her and she would innocently dazzle him in the swimming pool or something.
It seems they had a sort of older sister/younger brother friendship going, and now that they have both grown up and meet again this is the conclusion. Mind you, Claremont might very well leave it at this level, and that would work for me. We'll have to wait and see.
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Yes, everyone is entitled to have their own opinion, and I happen to like the older Uncannies and I couldn't be happier with the Reload. And my opinion has always been, if you don’t like it, don't buy it.

Kurt has been through the year from hell, so it’s not surprising that he’s still angry. Storm has the zest for life that he’s lost. And if Storm can be said to be rather heartless, he’s just the one to give it back to her. I think they are good for each other, no matter what anyone else thinks.

And the one of the last times Kurt and Ororo were together, they were laughing and joking and Kurt jumped up and claimed her as his BRIDE. Yes, he was joking at the time, but it shows the easygoing relationship they still had with each other. And Storm showed her compassion in the way she tried to comfort Kitty after her father’s death.

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

yoou know, i wasn't going to say anything, but i have to side with Draz on this, (except the very last bit) though i wouldn't put it so.... bluntly. but that's her style. :p

It IS contived. they haven't spoken for ages, and you may as well just have Claremont say 'look! I'm caving to fanboy wishes!' gag. doesn't help that i don't like Storm at all... at least not recently.

Uncanny is SO not doing it for me... was hoping there would be some synergy between CC and Davis that helped me enjoy Excalibur, despite not liking pretty much everything else by Claremont... but nope... ah well, off to DC, for the most part, then. in a years time i wont be reading any X-Men, till then just Astonishing and Adjectiveless...
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Originally posted by Bamfette

It IS contived. they haven't spoken for ages, and you may as well just have Claremont say 'look! I'm caving to fanboy wishes!' gag. doesn't help that i don't like Storm at all... at least not recently.

It seems Marvel will go with the majority to sell books. Leaving the minority pretty much to wander about. If it will sell more, do it! New slogan for Marvel. heh... Or have they always had this belief? :P

Uncanny is SO not doing it for me... was hoping there would be some synergy between CC and Davis that helped me enjoy Excalibur, despite not liking pretty much everything else by Claremont... but nope... ah well, off to DC, for the most part, then. in a years time i wont be reading any X-Men, till then just Astonishing and Adjectiveless...
Now, Jill, I know since Nighty is in Uncanny or whatever book he ends up going to in two years from now, you will be buying it? Right? I know you wouldn't give up on the fuzzy blue just like that.

I think as times change writing styles change too. Books that I enjoyed 20 years ago don't compare at times with the books I'm reading now. That is why I have put aside I liked this such and such a book by these two in the past so I know I will like this book too mindset. It doesn't always work like that. I went into reload with a clear mind. Hell, I didn't think I'd like District X because of Bishop but guess what? I loved it! Great book! I've been very happy with Reload so far.

District X has really suprised me. Pick it up. And pickup Mystique too. Good book! :) She maybe a bitch, but she's one tough bitch ! :D
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Oh, come on, Bamfette ! Claremont and Davis's magic IS here !
It seems Alan Davis has given old Chris wings again !
EVEN if Kurt and Ororo last spoke to each other in months -last seen in X-treme#19, not SO long ago-, it is a nice story. Don't you think good friends can be attracted to each other after years of friendship ??
Hey, my girlfriend WAS one of my best friends for years !
And it's great to see Ororo feel something, really !

Me, I'm happy with Reload.
I like Uncanny, Astonishing ans "Adjectiveless" all the same. And, believe me, it's the first time in years I actually enjoy SEVERAL X-titles !
:)
www.atlantys.biz

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I was going to leave it at jsut the one post, but....
Originally posted by **Northstars Love**

Now, Jill, I know since Nighty is in Uncanny or whatever book he ends up going to in two years from now, you will be buying it? Right? I know you wouldn't give up on the fuzzy blue just like that.
yes, i would give up on him. as of next issue, i am not touching Uncanny. I like the character, i am not a slave to him. I won't buy something if i don't like it, period. I have a whole lot of other Nightcrawler stories i can read. and i guess i may have over stated when i said 'no' x-books, i guess i really meant 'core' x-books. and i kinda forgot about the NC series, which may be ok, and i love Darick Robertson, tho i am not too enthused with making Kurt into a Hellboy ripoff. but we'll see. it could be fun.

and i have NEVER liked Claremont, Excalibur (first series) aside. i read the Essential X-Men trades, and... eh. bland. and i just can't get over how unrealisticly everyone acts/speaks. same goes for this. i mean. his early X-Men may have been revolutionary for the time, which is great. but i was not reading then. i am a latecomer to comics, i got started on Sandman, and my first exposure to the X-Men universe was Warren Ellis's Excalibur. so yes, times change, styles change, and i prefer a very modern style of writing. i just don't have the nostalgia factor for the old style stories. and yes, friends can feel an attraction after a long time. bit it still seemed forced, and with no real lead-up unless you've been reading the books since forever. continuity dependent = BAD in my books. at LEAST give it 4 or 5 issues to ease into it so people who have never read the old stories arent going 'wha?'.
District X has really suprised me. Pick it up. And pickup Mistique too. Good book! :) She maybe a bitch, but she's one tough bitch ! :D
I got Mystique then stopped buying it with the intention of buying it in trades (want to support the digest format as i think it is a fucking BRILLIANT move, and also can't argue wiht just over a buck an issue. i know, i know, if you don' buy the single issues they won't make a trade. well i only have so much money to go around for comics, i can't affordto be buying it twice.) may do the same with District X... i haven't read it but have heard good things so may check it out

and yes, Marvel will do what makes them money. nothing wrong with that. the problem here is, the fans clamoring for all this Kuro stuff is a MINORITY. the hardcore fans on message boards are a MINORITY. and pandering to fans isn't a good practice, anyway as no two can ever agree.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Nand cannot comment for Nand has not seen the issue and will not for another month...Nand only got 444 this week...sigh...

So far, Nand does not hate new Uncanny...but she is not wetting anything in delight either...

Kuroro? Neither for it or against it...Nand will wait to see how it plays out...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Quoted by Bamfette

and yes, Marvel will do what makes them money. nothing wrong with that. the problem here is, the fans clamoring for all this Kuro stuff is a MINORITY. the hardcore fans on message boards are a MINORITY. and pandering to fans isn't a good practice, anyway as no two can ever agree.
I agree I don't care for the Kuroro hookup myself. I'm not a fly by night fan either. Not that you said I was either Jill. I don't want you to misunderstand me. ;) Granted I lost interest 12 years ago when most of the stuff I was reading was mediocre and I stopped collecting comics. So I'm not quite clear as to what has been going on since before last May when X-2 renewed my interest in reading the X-Men again. Hell, before, everytime I turned around there was a fricken alternate cover for every other issue! Tired X annuals. Thank god they stopped those! :rolleyes As you say, reading comics grows into a big expense. Eat? Read comic? Not hard choices really. Hard to eat paper. Not tasty :P

Ya, I would say I'm nostalgic when it comes to the old issues. I'm talkin pre Cockrum and Claremont as well. I did have all the issues of the X-Men at one time. Up to issue 265 or so. Everytime I looked through those books I sort of felt like I was a kid again. Recapture my youth I'd suppose.

Crap! I'm going to be 38 next week! :die
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

38, Northstars Love ?...
And I thought I was getting old with my 29 years! ;);)

So okay, it's a generation problem.
You know, for me, Claremont's X-men (1975-around1991) are STILL the best ones. He did it all. The mutants are what they are today, just because of him, and his beautiful first run.
First problem : he only cares about Nightcrawler when he works with Dave Cockrum or Alan Davis ! :(
Second problem : his return has not satisfied me... until now ! I hope Davis will stay a few years. The alchemy between these two creators is real !

Besides Claremont, the best writer for me is Chuck Austen.
I just couldn't care about Nicieza, Seagle, Lobdell (although he had some interesting ideas, like the all "Age of Apocalypse" storyline) , Kelly, Waid, even Morrison -I loved his first issues, cause they were dark and brilliant, but then, it just became a mess.
When Austen arrived, he became a favorite of mine.
I didn't know he would become so controversial. I didn't see that coming. I'm still sad he lost Kurt, but I still enjoy his work.

As for Whedon, it's too early to say, but we know he IS a very talented writer. Buffy and Angel are my favourite shows along with The Prisoner and Davis Lynch's Twin Peaks. :)

Oh, and I couldn't get rid of Kurt now ! I almost did it a few years ago with the boring-to-death last issues of Excalibur, and I missed the guy so much !
Yeah, I'm THAT weak now ! :P

End of my longest reply ever ! :holdbreath
www.atlantys.biz

bluefooted
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by bluefooted »

Originally posted by Bamfette
the problem here is, the fans clamoring for all this Kuro stuff is a MINORITY. the hardcore fans on message boards are a MINORITY. and pandering to fans isn't a good practice, anyway as no two can ever agree.
Well, maybe he's a fan, himself, and that's just the way he wants to write the characters. Maybe there's no hidden agenda at all...

And even if it's just pandering... well, I'm not complaining. Guess it's just my time to be pandered to ;)
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by Diablo

Oh, and I couldn't get rid of Kurt now ! I almost did it a few years ago with the boring-to-death last issues of Excalibur, and I missed the guy so much !
Yeah, I'm THAT weak now ! :P
That was more than just a few years ago... :evil
Originally posted by bluefooted
And even if it's just pandering... well, I'm not complaining. Guess it's just my time to be pandered to ;)
Yeah, well, you got yours this issue so next issue it's my turn and he won't even have the two characters share a single scene. ;)