X-Men General Discussion Reload

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Originally posted by Gambit~Iceman

Which part, Chuck going exclusive with DC, or Brian K. Vaughan being the new X-Men writer?
both...
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

hmmm...for sometime I was thinking Chuck was going to DC. I even congratulated him in a thread here on NS.

But whatever road Chuck takes I wish him well.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

he loves it at DC, and he'll be working for them for a long time yet if he has anything to say about it. they've given him a TON of freedom to do whatever he wants (within reason), he loves editorial there, he's having an absolute blast writing Action, (and i think it shows through) is very very proud of Metropolis, liked working on JLA.... and would like to do more for them should the opportunity arise. I think he would probably sign an exclusive.... but they have not offered him one. not recently, anyway. they might, seeing how well Action has been recieved. but not yet, and i don't think he's been pushing for one, seeing as he really does like to keep all avenues open, and he is also pitching a few ideas to other companies...
Gambit~Iceman
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Gambit~Iceman »

well if Bamfette's right and it's not BKV, I'd love to see Neil Gaiman do it. He's a long shot, I know he's a long shot, but hey I'm shooting for the moon. As for Chuck damn I'm still sorry to hear he's leaving. Hope it was his choice, and that he wasen't forced out.
You can be pushed just so far, until one day the man has to claim what is rightfully his!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

he wasn't fired or 'forced out'...
KurtnMeggan
Lubber
Lubber

Post by KurtnMeggan »

The scene between Sammy and Jay in the latest issue definitely made up for the lack of greatness in She Lies with Angels. That was probably the most solid dialogue Chuck's written during his whole run.
Meggan and Kurt! Love them! You know you wanna;):meggan
black mamba
Lubber
Lubber

Post by black mamba »

bamfette you didn't answer my question. now that magneto is back does chuck plan on doing a family reunion which will touch on lorna's origins.
the black mamba- a deadly poisonous snake, its bite is quick and always accurate.
Gambit~Iceman
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Gambit~Iceman »

black mamba if you hadn't heard yet Chuck's leaving X-Men. Most likely after the second arc is done. So something like that would be in the hands on the new writer, and or Chris Claremont(writer of Excaliber, and Uncanny X-Men)
You can be pushed just so far, until one day the man has to claim what is rightfully his!
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

I didn't want to believe it... Chuck's really leaving the X-Men... :(:(
I can understand why he does it -because he hasn't got enough freedom- , but still, I'm disappointed.
I would have enjoyed a 10 years run from him !

Man, I'm really sad. :(

I hope the new writer isn't Bendis. Please. His stories are quite clever, but so boring !

Gaiman ? Yeah, sure. One can always dream ! :rolleyes
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Diablo

I hope the new writer isn't Bendis. Please. His stories are quite clever, but so boring !
Boring?! What of his stuff have you read? If anything, his style is similar to Austen's except he's got all the snappy Austen dialogue without the (imo) crappy Austen characterization.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

I've read Daredevil, Ultimate X-Men, Alias, Ultimate Spider-Man, even Powers.

I must admit : I enjoyed Powers. Not a lot, but enough to read more.

Daredevil is a character I like, but Bendis's stories make me fall asleep. :Z

Like I said, I think he's a clever writer, but his stories are too slow-paced to keep me interested.
I prefer Austen's style.
It's foggier, but more enjoyable.
It's true these two men know how to surprise their readers, but the rock which comes to my face seems really faster to me when it's Austen who's throwing it.
www.atlantys.biz

KurtnMeggan
Lubber
Lubber

Post by KurtnMeggan »

Nowhere, to my knowledge, has anyone, including Bamfette here, flatly confirmed or denied that Chuck is leaving the book any time in the foreseeable future, so could conversation please shift back to the facts and not rest so much on speculation?

Sorry, but stay or go, the book will still be here and it's the book we're discussing.

On that note, I hope these Chinese immortals get a little more characterization and individuality or they are sure to be forgotten and lost to limbo in a flash.
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Banned

Post by Winged Outlaw »

*Imagines if Chuck is really gone, and was replaced by Joe Casey*

I would be one blissful X-Men reader right there, that I would...
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

not gonna happen. :p
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Winged Outlaw »

It scares me how gleefully you go about crushing my dreams...
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

Joe Casey had great ideas -I loved the Supreme Pontiff storyline, for instance.
But -except for issue #400, his stories were too slow-paced. And Kurt was SO depressed! :bawl

I remember he originally wanted to put Mystique with his son in the team. That, I would have enjoyed !
www.atlantys.biz

Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Winged Outlaw »

Joe Casey was plagued by poor artist choices, as well as an inate misunderstanding of what he was trying to do. Poptopia, for instance, was supposed to feel recycled. It was a satire... comparing the rehashed X-Men stories of the past 10 years with a trashy media publicity stunt.

And after the Draco... I'd say we've seen the worst pacing of any X-Story in the past couple years.

In other news.............. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Vaughn... Carey... possibly Priest? Now that Austen's departure is official, let the rumors fly people :)
KurtnMeggan
Lubber
Lubber

Post by KurtnMeggan »

I wasn't aware Austen would be departing so soon. I mean, 164 is only six months away.

I wonder if the incoming writer plans to keep the same cast?
Gambit~Iceman
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Gambit~Iceman »

Actually KurtnMeggan you'll most likely see the new writer in 4-5 months since X-Men goes bi-weekly in September, and unless Marvel opps to hold out it'll go bi-weekly in October as well. So the new writer will most likely hit the book sometime either in November or December. Personally I hope it's Brian K. Vaughan. Although I'll miss Chuck.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I didn't have a problem with the majority of Casey's stuff, actually. I fully realize that's what he's going for. but you do realize he chose most of the artists HIMSELF? I think he was happy with the artists he was paired with, for themost part... Churchill claimed to have 'creative differences' but he left so soon into the run, it didn't really affect it too much.

ps. interview: http://www.newsarama.com/pages/Marvel/Austen_Leaves.htm
Originally posted by Winged Outlaw
Joe Casey was plagued by poor artist choices, as well as an inate misunderstanding of what he was trying to do. Poptopia, for instance, was supposed to feel recycled. It was a satire... comparing the rehashed X-Men stories of the past 10 years with a trashy media publicity stunt.

And after the Draco... I'd say we've seen the worst pacing of any X-Story in the past couple years.

In other news.............. :) :) :) :) :) :)

Vaughn... Carey... possibly Priest? Now that Austen's departure is official, let the rumors fly people :)
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Winged Outlaw
Poptopia, for instance, was supposed to feel recycled. It was a satire... comparing the rehashed X-Men stories of the past 10 years with a trashy media publicity stunt.
Seriously? I'd never heard that one before... not that I follow comics news that much.

And damned if I could tell that was what it was supposed to be. Even thinking about it now it's like, huh? Well, I guess maybe... no. It's been ages since I read that, but that's such a long shot that few people would make a connection unless they'd been told that was what it was supposed to be.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Yeah... I can't make that connection either. Could you explain a little more? I loved the Poptopia arc, except for the art in the last part. It was much too stylized for my tastes.
Archangel
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Archangel »

Well i had an Idea over the Chuck Austen situation... Its really stupid so only read on for a stupid Idea...
~

~

~

~

~

~

Well what if someone asked Chuck Austen to wright an X-men fan fiction. People right fan fiction all the time right? And if chuck did it he could have his creativity and fredom. Also we could find out some of the stuff he was gonna do in the X-comics.
What ya think stupid eh?
"There are things that go bump in the night. We are the ones who bump back." ~Professor Broom~

"When you see red: Stop. When you see blue: Bamf. And when you see the ground.. Well, I told you to stop."
~Ryo and Hushy~
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Chuck and most other writers are not even allowed to read fan-fiction.... it is in their contracts. the companies don't want anyone to be able to sue them because 'they stole my idea!' so they write that into contracts so they can say look, it's impossible for him to have done so, he's not allowed to read it in the first place! if he did, we had done everything we could to prevent it.' and then it's up to the person with the story to prove that the writer in question did indeed read their specific story and rip it off. (is the same reason they don't accept full scripts as submissions) i know it's easy for someone to break their contract and not tell anyone... but Chuck takes that clause quite seriously, he has refused to read stories when directly asked for just that reason. and if he were to write fan-fic, it would put him among that 'community' and would create distrust between him and the companies he works for.

I know there are some (fairly high profile) writers who think this policy is silly, and have said so publicly. but on the other hand, I also know of some (also high profile) writers who have stolen ideas from the little guy. so i can understand their reasoning for the policy. it takes the blame off the company and puts it squarely on the shoulders of the writer.

one of the scripts he had in mind for X-Men was never paid for by Marvel, The Ultimate X-Man. it will most likely find its way into WorldWatch, with names and some details changed. but really, the story would fit in quite well with WorldWatch. though the lack of continuity makes some of the stuff have less impact, as it did reference continuity pretty heavily in a weird, twisted way. now it has to just say 'this is how things were in the past' and well, that's it. there's no REAL past to reference. the others though.... Marvel paid for them. they OWN them. Chuck can not use those ideas, not even modified for something else, (not that some of them could even work outside of X-Men, anyway) and not for fan-fic...
zati1
Lubber
Lubber

Post by zati1 »

i remember always hearing about how that arc was supposed to be really good. wasn't it supposed to feature northstar...or iceman, or somebody that usually didn't see a lot of screentime?