New X-Men General Discussion

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
nightcrawler30
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by nightcrawler30 »

here is the place to discuss New X-Men!!

Have fun!:D
Master of Pupets Pulling your stings twisting your mind and breaking your dreams- Master Of Pupets

The Horsemen are drawing nearer On the leather steeds they ride They have come to take your life.
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

you mean, the New X-men: Academy X one? i can't believe we don't already have a thread for that one. I am really enjoying it. I especially like Wallflower and Dust. Surge needs to take a chill pill, and be nicer to Sooraya!
Archangel
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Archangel »

Ya. I recently discovered it #1 and i like it. I thought it would be stupid but its pritty good. Its acually on my top 5 comics .
"There are things that go bump in the night. We are the ones who bump back." ~Professor Broom~

"When you see red: Stop. When you see blue: Bamf. And when you see the ground.. Well, I told you to stop."
~Ryo and Hushy~
nightcrawler30
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by nightcrawler30 »

have you check out new x-men vol. 2 yet? it has a really nice story line.
Master of Pupets Pulling your stings twisting your mind and breaking your dreams- Master Of Pupets

The Horsemen are drawing nearer On the leather steeds they ride They have come to take your life.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

I never read this book when it was "New Mutants," except for the first issue, but I read the first two issues after the name change.

I think I'm probably missing out on something because, to me, the stories don't really have much impact. It's also possible that I'm not in the target audience.

It was nice to see Dust again and Surge, while a bit over the top, is a really fun character...and the over-the-topness just come off as normal teenage bull. :)
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Originally posted by Crawler
I never read this book when it was "New Mutants," except for the first issue, but I read the first two issues after the name change.
Ditto here
I think I'm probably missing out on something because, to me, the stories don't really have much impact. It's also possible that I'm not in the target audience.
Yeah, it does seem to be more geared at the teen audience, which makes sense, as that was always the purpose of the New Mutants. Lucky for me, I've got a young mind, so I like it *g* But, honestly, there hasn't been any big deals yet... it's only the first two books, so we're getting the wind-up... hopefully the pitch will be spot on!
It was nice to see Dust again and Surge, while a bit over the top, is a really fun character...and the over-the-topness just come off as normal teenage bull. :)
Exactly! I think that over-the-topness is common in a lot of young teens. That's why I liked the bit with Dust, as she looks like she'll be a good foil for Surge. I think Dust seems more mature, but Surge is a stronger personality... a combination that could lead to some good story.
KurtnMeggan
Lubber
Lubber

Post by KurtnMeggan »

I love this book! Of all the current titles, this definitely feels like the fresh face of the future and one I'm happy to embrace.
Meggan and Kurt! Love them! You know you wanna;):meggan
Jeremys Iron
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Jeremys Iron »

I very much enjoyed New Mutants Vol. 2, I thought the characters were interesting, had cool powers and I like the way they interacted with one another. Plus, the writers Christina Weir and Nunzio DeFilippis seem like very nice, talent people who deserve a successful series.

However, that being said there is not a single, solitary thing that I have liked about the first two issue of New X-Men and I've decided to drop it. In my mind everything as been bad: The art looks sloppy and rushed compared to Randy Greens work on Emma Frost (which I enjoyed greatly and was one of the main reasons I first picked it up). The story feels contrived and a little absurd. Why are Emma and Scott doing what they are doing? Why is everyone going along so easily? Why wasn't everyone at the assembly? Why doesn't anyone realize how absurd all the group naming was? But the worst has to be the dialogue, which is what puzzles me the most 'cause I thought it was one of Weir & DeFilippis' strongest areas in New Mutant vol. 2 (seemed natural, had good flow, the characters had distinctive voices). Unfortunately, I've found none of that in New X-Men; most of the dialogue feels forced and needlessly expositionary. Also, it feels stunted and almost out of character (which I know is impossible since they've only been around for about ten issue and Weir & DeFilippis created most of them), it just doesn't read natural in my head. I know that during NM vol. 2 Weir & Defilippis were having problems with editorial, I wonder if that is getting worst and they are having trouble dealing with it?

Sorry about this, I don't like to be negative and in the end I don't really care, it just means I save some money but I was really thinking that this was going to be one of the bright spots of the Reload and I was really looking forward to it. Oh well, thems the breaks I guess. ;)

Anyway, I've heard almost nothing but praise for this series so far and I just wanted to toss my opposite opinion out there to maybe spark some debate. :)
Are You on the Global Frequency?

Spider: You see, Channon, it's the duty of journalists to strike fear into the hearts of criminals.
Channon: With your meat gun?
Spider: Or your attack womb.
Channon: Or your illegal bowel disruptor.
Spider: Whatever...
-Transmetropolitan #4

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas -- Where There is Doubt, There is Freedom
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Jeremys Iron, You're perfectly entitled to a differing opinion. I have to admit, as well, that "Corsairs" is a really stupid name for a group.

I really tend to like books based on the little things, and I think the first two issues have done well with that... Like when those two Hellions were commenting on their new names, and said "is it just me, or did we just become 'Hellion and the Hellions'?" I dunno, it cracked me up.
Jeremys Iron
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Jeremys Iron »

Ya know, after a second reading, issue #2 wasn't quite as bad as I remembered it the first time. There were a couple of nice little moments and a few genuinely funny bits of dialogue. The flirting between Sofia and Julian is cute and the interaction between Nori and Dust was interesting. But not enough by themselves to keep me getting this book. However, having heard that Randy Green has left the book as of the end of issue #2 and is being replaced by two artist I've really enjoyed recently, I might just have to stick around. :shame

Staz Johnson (Spider-Man & Doc Ock: Negative Exposure) is taking over for issues #3 & 4 and then Michael Ryan (Mystique, Spectacular Spider-man) is taking over as the new regular artist with issue #5. I find Michael Ryan's work especially good and I think it fits the tone of this book perfectly. Here's a couple pages from his work on Spectacular Spider-man:

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Originally posted by scheherazade
I really tend to like books based on the little things, and I think the first two issues have done well with that... Like when those two Hellions were commenting on their new names, and said "is it just me, or did we just become 'Hellion and the Hellions'?" I dunno, it cracked me up.
For me, I think it's just that right off the top the whole idea of squads doesn't feel like (to me) a believable action for these characters to take. Then you follow that up with the sloppy way the assembly is handled and you have a real mess of a story. The assembly scene could have been really good but it needed four or five more pages (at least). I mean, why were only three teams present? Why did none of those teams have all six people there? Why was that fact only acknowledged for Dani's team? Why would Emma let her team be called 'Hellions' when she was so dead set against it back in one of the last issues of New Mutants vol. 2?

I don't know maybe I'm taking it all a little bit too seriously and maybe the answers I seek can be found in New X-Men #3 coming out next week. :)
Are You on the Global Frequency?

Spider: You see, Channon, it's the duty of journalists to strike fear into the hearts of criminals.
Channon: With your meat gun?
Spider: Or your attack womb.
Channon: Or your illegal bowel disruptor.
Spider: Whatever...
-Transmetropolitan #4

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas -- Where There is Doubt, There is Freedom
KurtnMeggan
Lubber
Lubber

Post by KurtnMeggan »

I didn't know Green was off the book, but his work thus far had been below his own average.

And is Micheal Ryan the guy who did Cable and Iron Man back in the day, because that guy's stuff was cool. I love the style, so I hope it is the same guy.
Meggan and Kurt! Love them! You know you wanna;):meggan
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Kaileighblue »

pfft No one talks here anymore? I will. This could contain spoilers although non specific. (no names)

I must say I'm rather aggrivated with the new writing team. I don't know if House of M made them write this Junk or it would have been just as annoying to me under normal circumstances.

They've culled the main group down to six and added X23. Which removed *all* of the characters I liked. I've picked this book up since the beginning. It was one of the first comics I picked up. I liked these characters. And I know for sure that my first favourite from the book is murdered in the last issue of their first arc and they've already maimed my second.

They seem to be removing all that made this book different and are trying to make it into another indistinguishable X-team book.

I said I've give them a chance for this arc but I think they've stomped all over the chance and did a little dance on it's grave. And unlike Psylocke it's not coming back because Clairmont wanted it to.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

At this point, I'm giving the writers the benefit of the doubt because House of M sucked for everybody. Even people I know are good writers (District X *sob*) couldn't make that load go down easy. (Or at all.) At least the New X-Men four issue mandatory fuck-up was readable. Though that was the old writers. I will miss them, no matter how good the new new New X-Men turns out to be.

I'm baffled by Emma's decision to [spoiler]arbitrarily pick out one team for training. So the mutant population is decimated... shouldn't everyone left still be getting some sort of training? Since it's supposedly more dangerous now, won't having backup for when team members die be necessary?[/spoiler] Picking characters had to be done some way, but this way doesn't really fit.

Who was your first favourite? The only main(ish) character we know died for sure is [spoiler]Brian/Tag[/spoiler] and I just can't see him being anyone's favourite. He had like three lines for the whole series.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

I completely agree with you Kaileighblue!

There was something different about these books and I loved how it was slowly faced and more about relationships.

I was really unhappy to hear that they were throwing all that previous stuff that promised to have a pay-off out and bringing in writers that were more action-oriented. So much for appealing to a more diverse audience!

I'm more baffled by Emma's decision to [spoiler]kick out all the students and teachers who've lost their powers - you'd think the kids especially would still need their support.[/spoiler]
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Kaileighblue »

Who was your first favourite? The only main(ish) character we know died for sure is [spoiler]Brian/Tag[/spoiler] and I just can't see him being anyone's favourite. He had like three lines for the whole series.
Oh I hope you are right because I kinda liked [spoiler]Brian/Tag[/spoiler] for no reason he just seemed interesting but looking at preview pages for 24 and know that [spoiler]Wither/Kevin ran off[/spoiler] I was sure they were offing him. Unfortunately my comic book store has a habit of getting everthing late or not at all. (i'm still missing #17) If he's not dead he's still MIA for me.

My other favs being tagged for possible spoilers (incase someone doesn't know who's out/hurt/dead)[spoiler]Jay/Icarus (wings *slobber*), and Sophia/WindDancer [/spoiler]

I might give it other arch. But with so much missing it's not going to be the same. I'll just pretend it's alternate world New Xmen and the others are ok somewhere :P

I'll have to agree with the comments about [spoiler]Emma[/spoiler] Although I haven't read that ep these writers have turned her in a complete different direction. I didn't really like her before but now I just hate her.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I love Emma, I just think she should be more subtle in her scheming than that.

But since everyone else is in character, it's fairly easy to shrug off.

For the rest, I'm still waiting to see how things settle.
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Kaileighblue »

Finally got ahold of 23 and 24. Ok I jumped to conclusions about the person in the casket but who I thought it was is till missing..

I must say I was horrified by the last 2 pages of 23 that was just senseless violence.

And everyone is right Emma's actions are just weird.

I just want to see what happens to Jay for the love of god how many issues can the go back and forth in time and still make no progress?
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

So anyone read issue #25? All I can say is great issue :party 5 stars :party
[spoiler] I loved it how Wallflower was killed I mean getting sniped, what a way to go[/spoiler]
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

So anyway, I think that Kevin running off saved his life, most likely.....Really the only people I don't want to see killed are Hellion, Mercury, and Wither, all of them have a decent chance of living, as for David and Jay, I don't really care.

I am interested in seeing what happens to Josh after Lauries death, whether he goes crazy and uses his powers for other things than healing :shrug.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

I really like Julian Keller's character and Mercury. Wither I liked when he was introduced... I don't want Josh to go crazy - it's too bad that Prodigy and Sofia lost their powers. And I like (emo)Jay!

Emma sending the kids away once they lost their powers was just wrong. It's not difficult to believe she's a 'reformed' villain.

I wonder if there will be more characters introduced?
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Confizzle's review for New-Xmen (2nd series) past and present.

Since I have heard how "great" the NXM under DeFilippis and Weir was I picked up some of the back issues, and I'll give my say on it.

It was an okay run, but a bit too teen drama for me, I mean that's what the book was, a book about teens so it was a teen drama. I liked some of the characters that came out of it, Hellion, Wither, Mercury, but it was just too slow paced for me. I mean it didn't really have an impact on the X-books like New Mutants or Gen X did, of course both of those have gone along a lot long than New has sofar. Also let's face it the New Mutants aren't that interesting and yet they are the spolight of the entire book Kyle and Yost got it right making their team mostly Hellions, since well, the Hellions are far more interesting.

My favorite arc under Defilippis and Weir was their HoM arc, which I believe had a nice mix of action and story, kinda like X-Factor, and it got to explore how evil Laurie can be and actually got me interested in the character, but alas NXM was floudering in sales so out with Defilippis and Weir and in with Kyle and Yost.

My first issue of NXM was #23, so I was introduced to the action phase of NXM, and while I sometimes wonder what those poor kids did to piss off Kyle and Yost their run has been enjoyable. I simply love Stryker in this arc, far better than the GLMK Ver 2.0 Stryker, so I congratulate C&C for a job well done, they even managed to make the Nimrod fit in rather smoothly. While I'm still iffy on Laurie dying, I hope it'll push Josh's power levels to greater heights, rather than just healing. Altogether a great run and no matter how much comixfan people complain about how horrible it is and how C&C are "Worse than Austen" you have to admit they are selling more comics.

How many of y'all disagree?
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Kaileighblue »

One of those comixfan people would be me. Well I never said worse than Austen I just don't like what they've done to the book or my favourite characters. They're just doing their jobs.. but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

From what N&C said on their forums Marvel was pushing them to keep it all about the students in the school and the HOM arc was where they got to break free from that. If Marvel hadn't wanted it to be so "teen drama" and different from all the regular action books it would have been different. I still loved it though because of that difference. I started reading it when I was still in school so I could relate.

And the fact that all C&C have to say in response to their detractors is "It's selling more comics" really irks me. It's like a big FU to all the people that liked the old run. I haven't gotten 25 because my shop didn't have it in but I think it's about time for me to just give up on hoping I'll like it again. Others like it, fine. But I really need to stop spending my money on something I no longer enjoy.
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

The one death I didn't like was Laurie's, cept for Josh's reaction, I would have liked to see some Dr. Garrsion/Laurie interaction or her turning evil like in HoM.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Holy crap does this book ever rule. Can't stop laughing at a line from issue 38, so I took a break from reading to share it with all of you.

"Blindfold, I am going to kick you in the junk if you don't shut up. Everything you say is bad."

Aaah, I guess you have to be there.