The Ultimate Avengers Movie

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

So, has anyone else picked up the straight to DVD animated Avengers film yet?
Review below, SPOILERIFIC!

If you are a fan of "The Ultimates" you will not like this movie. To say that it is based on the comic is similar to saying the "I Robot" movie was based on Asimov's work. It has the subtle flavor of "The Ultimates" but is utimately (pun intended bitches!) bitter.
The movie lacks a lof of the grittiness of the comics. The characters are toned down, Hank Pym is a jerk, but not the kind of guy that would use his ants to try and kill his wife. Thor is not so much a stuck up neutralist as a Greenpeace hippie with a magic hammer.
The general story is the same. Aliens attack the earth, turns out these were the same aliens that teamed up with the Nazis.
The whole cartoon comes off as flat and bland when compared to the amazing title that it was based on.
That said, as far as Marvel animated works go, it wasn't bad. It feels a lot like the Spider-Man animated series, or "X-Men: Evolution," except it's a lot more violent. Lots of nameless soldiers get killed randomly by aliens and Nazis.
Most of the cast is there, save for Hawkeye (but who likes Hawkeye anyway?).
I'd say if you're an Avenger's fan, rent it or something.
Included in the DVD is a sneak peak at the sequel coming out this summer. According to this, the sequel is where it gets good. they said that all the characters will finally develop and you'll see their real selves. They specifically mentione the Pym's relationship being in "a dark place."
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the sequel, which looks like it derives even less from the comics, will at the very least be an Avengers movie fans can appreciate.
[spoiler]I hate post whores![/spoiler]
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

I dug it. It is very much a mix of traditional Avengers and Ultimates. You still have Samuel L. Fury, but you have a more traditional Hulk and Iron Man. I picked it up for $5 (I still had a $10 Best Buy gift card from Christmas), so it was totally worth it.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.