Ultimate X-Men General Discussion

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Tyros
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tyros »

COVER TO: ULTIMATE X-MEN ANNUAL #2

[Edited on 16/5/06 by Tyros]
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

:o Oh lordy.. I guess she comes out of her coma:LOL It brings up the thought that considering what happened at the end of Annual #1, do you think Marvel would dare kill off another character so soon?? And if so, any guesses?
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

OH GOD I HOPE NOT! Ult Dazz is one of my FAVS up there with Ult Beast, Gambit and Colossus...I don't want to lose another :bawl

But that is one HOT cover! WOOO!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

She just wants him for the tail, now Dazzler can say she's kissed an Angel and a Devil :naughty, so who bets she's gonna die :).
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

She probably will.. if being in a coma doesn't signify a writer's distaste for a character, death will :bamf So, I'm guessing all "Nightcrawler's secretly gay" rumors can be put to rest..
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

But for those still hopeful of such a thing, I'm sure rumors of bisexual Nightcrawler will still abound.

Dazzler and Nightcrawler ... that just brings us one step closer to the X-Men REvolution from the Visions of the Future one-shot from a few years ago.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Or maybe Kurt's just having one of THOSE dreams...

The text that goes with it doesn't even mention him...
ULTIMATE X-MEN ANNUAL #2

Written by ROBERT KIRKMAN
Pencils by SALVADOR LARROCA with LEINIL FRANCIS YU
Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA

Dazzler--Alison Blaire, former X-Man--has awakened from her coma only to discover her life is in deadly peril! And even her former fellow X-Men may be powerless to save her as a betrayal within the ranks has left them shellshocked.
Though it's be nice to see Ultimate Nightcrawler actually DO something!

*EDIT* Is it just me...or does Ali seem to have sprouted a tail? It’s probably meant to be Kurt’s…and Ultimate Nightcrawler originally appeared with an expectantly long tail, and if it is his it certaily is long…but it still looks like it’s coming out of Ali…

[Edited on 17-5-2006 by Nandireya]
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Can I like Ultimate but dislike Kirkman??

Like..I really like the stories going on. I like this Kurt/Ali/Piotr crap (guess the gay question is finally answered...abomination, eh? :P), I love the RogBit (as it was wonderfully termed on Xfan which I'm soooo stealing), I even love the Phoenix and Shiar stuff....I just HATE the dialogue! Like...DAMN. He's got some great ideas, but the dialogue is kinda lacking :(

Anyway...I'l stick with it a bit longer...
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Cibo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Cibo »

Oh my gosh, I didn't know Ultimate Kurt could actually look hot. :naughty Great cover. *drooooool*
I also guess the cover doen't really represent what's happening in the book and this is just some daydream of Kurt. I doubt it is healthy for someone who's just awoken from a coma to kiss hanging upside down...
And now there's life/ And a chance to make up for all those mistakes/ But please don't get me wrong/ Cos everything was honest/ True and from the heart/ There's still the same old hang ups so don't fret/ It's not safe yet/ And who knows there's always time to screw up again
The Cooper Temple Clause
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BAMFCentral »

Originally posted by Nandireya

*EDIT* Is it just me...or does Ali seem to have sprouted a tail?
[Edited on 17-5-2006 by Nandireya]
It kinda looks like ther is another tail in the pic and that it coming from alison. NC's tail is pretty accounted for. There is a definate start and stop to the tail coming from Alison.

Edit*
Oh nevermind I see it now... It's Kurt's. He is just reallllly long.

[Edited on 18-5-2006 by BAMFCentral]
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

It does look like he grew a tail.. it seems to go from her lower back to the lower right hand of the page (just past her shoulder).. could his tail really be that long:?:LOL:bamf
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Ultimate Kurt's tail is usually drawn much longer than 616 Kurt's (see attached)...maybe Weapon X did something to it...made it more elastic or like a chameleon's tongue (they have a small bone at the base of their tongue (I think) that the muscle sorta sits over and which they can ‘shoot’ out to catch prey) or something...

I can see this being a real moment and not a dream or a telepathically forced one…Ali’s never actually hated Kurt, we know he’s visited her at least once, probably more, he probably talked to her during those visits and coma patients are often aware of what’s going on around them so she may have heard him, he appears to be the only one who gave a damn about her while she was there (Piotr just tagged along…and Warren’s long gone), she probably appreciated that and could have grown more fond of him…I guess it could be a sort of thank you but it looks a bit too intense for that, or it may have started out like that but escalated…I’m sure it won’t be nearly as interesting as anything we can speculate…it never has been in the past…or it could be a completely unrelated cover, it's not like they haven't done that before...
Attachments
Nightcrawler%20005.jpg
Nightcrawler%20005.jpg (56.35 KiB) Viewed 10950 times

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

That's one of the few things I hate about Ultimate: The completely random covers.. I mean, there were probably like ten covers in all that actually reflect the contents of the book, which kinda annoys me (not really sure why.. I just enjoy having some sort of a clue as to what's going on..)
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

I wouldn't say i've ever seen a COMPLETELY unrelated cover...like..the covers may not have a WHOLE lot to do with the story of the book, but they do tend to showcase the character(s) which have a major role in the story...

I can't actually think of a cover that was completely unrelated...
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

I will be so disappointed if that cover is unrelated to the story or a dream! I'm really looking forward to Ult!Nightcrawler getting to do something and for Ali to wake up.

Besides, as much as I want them to finish playing out the Phoenix thing, I'm also a little tired of it and I'm also not so interested in the Magician new character. They have to give some attention to the rest of the team.

I never thought the tail was growing out of Dazzler. Ult!Nightcrawler just has an obscenely long tail and that part wrapped around Ali's waist has to come from somewhere.

Also, I think I asked before, but considering what Weapon X did to him - isn't Kurt some kind of brimstone furnance? I mean, wouldn't it be unpleasant, if not impossible for him to kiss someone? (Just wondering ) :bamf
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Ultimate X-Men #70 Review

So we start off with Kurt talking to the still comatose Dazzler, Kirkman does a pretty good job in this scene, establishing Kurt as even more of a homophobe than previously thought, and yet you feel sorry for Kurt as he describes the lose of his friends. I’m not really that big on Kirkman’s pet character the Magician but he could prove interesting if he’s done right. The art is rather bad at times since it seems Rogue is a guy in one panel. I do like the Jean scenes thought which is about the only thing I liked consistently throughout this comic. The problems with it is that the story is good but the dialogue seems very bland, and as I said the art does absolutely nothing to help the story, it’s way too inconsistent and Jean on the last page would be cooler if she didn’t look so bad.

I’d give this a C+, it’s a good story, but you have to wade through the art and parts of the dialogue to get it.

This is my first review tell me what needs to be done to make my reviews better.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

lol "abomination"

I have to agree on the dialogue. I'm trying to remember why I couldn't manage to read Invincible, and the dialogue is a real possibility. Maybe he just isn't that great at superhero stuff. Or maybe he's still settling in.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by chicory
Also, I think I asked before, but considering what Weapon X did to him - isn't Kurt some kind of brimstone furnance? I mean, wouldn't it be unpleasant, if not impossible for him to kiss someone? (Just wondering ) :bamf
Maybe that's why he's bamfing while they're kissing...to draw it all out of his mouth and into the teleport spiral...

And Nacht may be right on this one...some of the covers are kinda generic, nice team shots and such...but this one is kinda specific...

[Edited on 19-5-2006 by Nandireya]

Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

So what does everyone think of Kirkman's Mary Sue "The Magician"?
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

I think he's setting us up for a fall. "The Magician" is untrained and will end up doing more harm than good. Cyclops has basically told us that. Kirkman is too good a writer to fall victim to a classic Mary Sue.

Mark my words - someone is going to die or be seriously injured because of The Magician. I'd lay 50/50 odds on him being Wolverine's next mutant mercy killing.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

The Magician is an immoral brat who is already using his powers to get what he wants. No one else noticed that? Check the last couple pages, where he's begging to go along. He's got glowy hands behind his back. That's why he got to go along, not because he's a Marty Sue and everyone loves him.

I thought he was Proteus at first. He's not Proteus?
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Could he be the person to betray them? Proteus is dead, way back in the book.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by confusedelf
Could he be the person to betray them?
Most likely. I hope he's the one who dies too.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
The Magician is an immoral brat who is already using his powers to get what he wants. No one else noticed that? Check the last couple pages, where he's begging to go along. He's got glowy hands behind his back. That's why he got to go along, not because he's a Marty Sue and everyone loves him.

I thought he was Proteus at first. He's not Proteus?
No...I too noticed that he's manipulating things to get what he wants…whether this comes from his subconscious or a deliberate act on his part is yet to be seen…I mean, did he wake up one morning and decide: “I want to be an X-Man so if I kill my parents and make all kinds of weird stuff happen Nick Fury will come along to check things and he’ll decide that Xavier’s is the only place for me…and everyone there will love me ‘cos I’m so frikken awesome…and I’ll become the bestest most popular X-Man ever! Yeah…that’ll work…â€

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

It is most definitely deliberate. He told Scott he could "feel it".

I don't think he killed his parents on purpose. That's a pretty complicated plan for such an obvious doofus. His weakness is clearly that he's frigging retarded. Next issue: The X-Men defeat the evil magician through the amazing power of reverse psychology.