A Nightcrawler series followup?

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Darkholme
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Darkholme »

Not a return of the regular series, but according to this week's Joe Fridays over at Newsarama...

---

SanctumComix: Any chance you can give some insight on the coming "End of the World" storyline that's being slowly alluded to in many of Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa's titles the last year or so? (i.e. Nightcrawler, Sensational Spider-Man & 4)

In these various titles he foreshadowed an almost "Biblical" upheaval with demons rising, waters boiling, skies on fire ("...dogs & cats living together. Mass hysteria"). etc...

Can we hope that DOCTOR STRANGE is at the forefront of it all and is treated as a SERIOUS heavyweight?

JQ: In a case like this, SanctumComix, let’s go right to the source and ask Roberto himself!

ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA: Being a huge fan of horror and the supernatural, I'm always looking for ways to weave those elements into my superhero comics’ work. Since I began at Marvel, I've been dropping hints that a conflict of mythic - indeed, of biblical - proportions has been brewing, on the fringes of the Marvel Universe. It's been a bit of a slow build because of the different elements that have to fall into place, but a story is definitely in the works.

All I can say at this point is that it will involve a ragtag group of Marvel heroes and team them up with some of Marvel's more supernatural characters to tell a horror- and occult-tinged war epic... And, oh, yeah: More hints are coming. BIG hints. And yes, because of the natural of this project, I'm sure Dr. Strange would be involved...

---
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

I saw that too, and it really got me to thinking...

I can't wait, because obviously Nightcrawler will be involved.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Oooo, I'm so excited!! :D I'd love to see a battle worthy of Nightcrawler's amazing talents rather than crime fighting and "evil plots". Of biblical proportion?? I'd read it even if Nighty wasn't in it! Then again, without Kurt, it wouldn't be as awesome.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

I'm going to try not to get too excited, because if I expect too much I'm going to get let down. Again. Though Aguirre-Sacasa is a very good writer, I wouldn't expect Nighty to have a big part. In fact, if anything, he may just be a decoration for Magik. True, he has the Soulsword, but it wouldn't be a big deal - at all - for him to just turn it over to one of the more supernaturally-inclined characters. But I would be surprised if he doesn't have at least a small role, and I'm going to keep hoping he'll be pretty major. But I also agree with Bob - I think I'll read it even if he's not in it, because it sounds interesting. I would worry about some of the response, however, since it could deal with literal Biblical issues (ie. the apocalypse, Satan, etc.) and since not every Christian believes in these things that could cause problems. Hopefully everyone will look at it just as a work of fiction, and at the very least hopefully the writers will do some research this time instead of relying on, oh, I don't know.. Paradise Lost. :

I really feel this could either be really good or really bad. I trust Aguirre-Sacasa's writing, though, so I'll vouch for really good. Let's keep the faith, right?
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Feuerstein
it could deal with literal Biblical issues (ie. the apocalypse, Satan, etc.) and since not every Christian believes in these things that could cause problems. Hopefully everyone will look at it just as a work of fiction, and at the very least hopefully the writers will do some research this time instead of relying on, oh, I don't know.. Paradise Lost.
This has me completely confused. So, they are supposed to do a bunch of "research" and change the entire Marvel story universe to make it more in line with "literal Biblical issues"... to AVOID offending people?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

I don't mean change the Marvel universe. Quite obviously, the Marvel world is such a blend of a million different philosophies that it's impossible to tell exactly what beliefs people live by, if any. And considering the population of Christian readers of X-men is probably pretty slim, who would they be appeasing? I like that they use many different ideas. I roll my eyes sometimes, and I can't say I appreciate having politics thrown at me in something I read for entertainment, but I respect that these are ideas they want to convey and I have to admit they're usually written well.

My issue was with idea that there will be "biblical" components in this specific magic-based storyline. This is entirely my own opinion, but there have been so many plots rooted in something to do with Christianity that it feels overused. But you could make that argument of a lot of other plots too, since Marvel tends to reuse ideas for new readers. But it bothers me when people treat ideas that come from literature as fact, simply because it shows they didn't bother to consider there might me more to a topic than the rumors they've heard. A lot of the problems in the world are caused because people only believe stereotypes and don't dig any deeper. And it certainly helps that, when you talk about a subject, you know something about it, no? I wouldn't expect every detail to be known, God knows I don't know them (and the fact that Christianity has a zillion denominations doesn't help. But people have come up to me in the past thinking they know something bout the "End Times" and junk just because they've read some (fictional) book, and it gets tiring.

Is it wrong to want people to think a little bit about a topic that's important to some people before writing about it? If, after that, people are still offended, then clearly it's their own fault for being oversensitive.

But I should add that it's too early for me to be so judgmental, and I apologize if I've been too cynical. I enjoy magic-based storylines. I can't help bein wary, but probably my concerns will be unfounded.

[Edited on 3-16-07 by Feuerstein]
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young