Adjectiveless X-men 201, Endangered Species Chapter Four

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

OK. I realllly enjoyed this one, despite there being a distinct lack of Gambitness.

We were right on the mystique 'giving bobby' something. Bobby, you dumbass.

I loved that Emma made Sam leave. That was a twist I didn't see coming - them giving up and evacuating someone so that there was a person left to do the job.

The stuff with Bobby jumping out of the plane? FANTASTIC.

I adored the stuff with Kitty trying to explain horrors to Piotr.

Endangered Species part 5:

The whole concentration camp scene was very eerie, and heartbreaking. The part where they were all lined up at the pit? Jesus.

But I squealed like a teen girl when dark beast showed up. THAT was something I didn't see coming. But fantanstic. Working with, and fighting with oneself (alternate self, but still dark beast represents a 'possibility' for Hank, had he not walked the path he had).

All in all? This was a fantastic read for me.

[Edited on 10/8/07 by fourpawsonthefloor]
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by fourpawsonthefloor
I adored the stuff with Kitty trying to explain horrors to Piotr.
I usually don't like either of them but that was too cute to not like.

Mystique, a back-stabbing ho? Always a big surprise, every time!
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
Mystique, a back-stabbing ho? Always a big surprise, every time!
Hah! I know! And as much as I like mystique being that way, its like...dude! EXPECIALLY when it comes to dipping your bits in that poisoned swamp.

I'm all for them turning Bobby around and playing up that thing he had with Jean-Paul a while back. Cause this boy just ain't having any luck with ladies.

Paws
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Bobby needs to give up entirely and get a Realdoll.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Bobby/JP? That'd be cute. I swear.

But he's getting enough attention. This thing with Mystique... well, he had it coming.

edit: BTW, have we seen anymore of Northstar and Aurora since they appeared in Adjectiveless X-men?

[Edited on 8-9-07 by Feuerstein]
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Jean-Paul is supposed to be showing up soon. So yay!

Paws
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

I have to agree, I really enjoy this title at the moment. Carey still manages to impress and keep the tension up.

My only gripe would be that those who betrayed the team are too obvious choices. I would have loved it if Karima or Lady M had remained on the team, and Mystique being back-stabbing is nothing that surprises one anymore.

And I think they really need a downtime issue soon. Especially since all the events happen in quick succession and that can be a problem when trying to keep things in continuity with other titles.

That's why I wonder how this book fits into continuity regarding the New X-Men. Anole, Rockslide and Pixie are still in their pre-limbo forms, so I don't know yet what to make out of the Elixir/Blindfold stuff. If anything permanent comes from it, it won't really fit together with Quest for Magick.

But big kudos to Mike for giving the kids that much spotlight. I hope they're going to kick some ass next issue. :)
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Yay JP! :northie

Yeah, the NXM were pre-limbo too in WWH, but the Limbo story supposedly takes place at the same time the UXM team are in space. It's confusing. I can only guess they go back to normal. That, or there's been no communication between Carey, Yost, and whoever's writing WWH at all. (I think I saw a Marvel solicit for a future NXM issue that was post-limbo, and Anole and Pixie were changed but Rockslide was as he used to be on the cover.)

I was actually a little iffy about Mystique being the traitor (yeah, call me gullible, what can I say). I thought they might throw us for a loop by her NOT being the traitor, since there hadn't been many obvious signs. (But thinking about it now, Mystique going for Bobby Drake should have been a clue of monumental proportions.)

Maybe Sam should have been the traitor. That would have been a surprise :lol Haha. What's up with Paige these days?
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by Starfish
My only gripe would be that those who betrayed the team are too obvious choices. I would have loved it if Karima or Lady M had remained on the team, and Mystique being back-stabbing is nothing that surprises one anymore.
Technically Karima didn't betray the team. She's possessed.

This issue gave me a huge desire to catch up on New X-Men when I read it last week but I have yet to act on it. :shame
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I would have loved it if Bobby had been the traitor. ;)
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

I finally got to read the whole issue.

On the Kitty/Piotr horror thing - I miss there being more of that. Remember when superheroes had lives outside of superheroing? Those were the days. (I like X-factor because they do actually pay attention to that.) I miss there being more snarky comments in general. I would be quite satisfied even with the stuff that's going on in Uncanny if there were more snark. (Though Caliban breaking Johnny's 360 was nice, and made me forgive Bru for other dullness.)

I'd always wondered if an X-telepath like Xavier or Emma would ever step outside their principles and telepathically possess another X-man (*crap, the x button on my keyboard refuses to work properly!*) to get what they wanted done. Emma certainly would, and I almost shrieked when I saw it happen. TOTALLY COOL. With the art, though, I actually had to read it a few times to figure out that the blonde woman was Emma; she looks so different from regular Emmas - not as sophisticated.

This issues was just a conjoining issue, so there's not a lot to note, and after Gambit's triumphant entry in the last issue, I was disappointed he didn't do anything this time.

Much as I love Bachalo (but not Ramos - funny, that), I'm starting to agree that an art style with a more darker touch would be more appropriate for this plot than the cartoony style.

Lastly, what the heck was with Sunfire - I have never seen him looking like a burning vat before. Is this new, or am I just forgetting significant Sunfire facts that I probably didn't pay attention to because I don't like Sunfire?
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Originally posted by Slarti
I would have loved it if Bobby had been the traitor. ;)
You mean, like, deliberately? Haha.