September Spotlight: X23!!!

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I thought it important to talk about X23 because she gets SUCH a bad wrap from people who don't know about her. She gets shoved in that "Ugh another crappy clone of a popular character" corner, that people don't give her enough of a chance. And, OMG she rocks. HARD.

So, basically, X23 was created a few years ago by Craig Kyle and our own Chris Yost when they were working on Xmen: Evolution. My opinion? She sucked. I hated her on the show. And when I heard they were making a comic book with her...ugh. Hated it. Until I gave the book a try.

The first X23 was....a masterpiece. It was one of the best mini's I'd read. X23's basic story is she was created as a female clone of Wolverine, and raised to be a weapon. The scientist behind her conception, Sarah Kinney, was also her surrogate, and in essense, her mother.

X23 is basically a killing machine. Though she can control herself, she has a trigger scent. In cases where this is used, she has no control, and has inadvertantly killed loved ones, including her mother, who decided to name her Laura.

After she left the labs, she went off to find her mother's family, and then off on the streets as a prostitute. Most of the prostitution stuff can be read about in NYX which is a pretty cool non-Xmen mutant read :).

Excellent reads with X23 are her two minis, X23 and Target X. I don't wanna overload with scans but check here for her fight with Wolverine in Target X. Kick ass stuff. And BEAUTIFUL art!

She's currently in New Xmen, which I'm hearing is amazing. So, tell me people. Why do you think X23 kicks ass? Why do you think she sucks?? DISCUSS!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

I'd like to start by stating that I'm a big fan of X-23. She's certainly among my favourite characters from the New X-Men title. I'd say she's at second place after Mercury, and I thoroughly enjoy the friendship that is slowly developing between the two.

It's very sad that she gets so much hate from a lot of fans, merely because of the fact that she has been cloned from Wolverine. People tend to dismiss her as a young Wolvie with boobs to cater to a different audience, which is – in my opinion at least – not true. In fact, they are very different characters who share nothing except their powers.

Thinking about it, how many telepaths does the MU have, how many energy manipulators and people with fire powers? They don't get that much bad press. The powers is not the way to make a character unique or interesting, it's the personality. People tend do forget this in the superhero genre.

My theory why people dislike her? Chris Claremont. Yep, I said it. As far as I know she debuted during his run of Uncanny, and he wrote her pretty much as a small Wolverine with boobs. In a hideous costume no less. No wonder people hate her.

Thanks for posting these scans, Nacht. This is such a sad and heart wrenching scene. I'm sure if her minis had come out before her début in Uncanny, a lot more people would like her today. I yet have to get her second mini, but will definitely do so.

I'll post more on why I think she rocks later, and I might even bring some scans from scenes of New X-Men with her.
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

I couldn't agree more, Star. CC is more than likely responsible for her being less popular than she really should be. And that costume, of all the costumes she could have been given just didn't make sense. I expected someone to put a muzzel and lead on her in Uncanny as she was literally just like a little pet wandering around the place, growling at everyone.

Her minis are fantastic, and her run so far in New X-men is brilliant. She may be Wolverine's clone but they show that she is very much her own person or at least trying to be.

She knows what she is, and she lives with it, trying harder than anyone does, to fit in and belong and be there where she deserves to be.

And she rocked in NYX too ;)
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by Starfish
My theory why people dislike her? Chris Claremont. Yep, I said it. As far as I know she debuted during his run of Uncanny, and he wrote her pretty much as a small Wolverine with boobs. In a hideous costume no less. No wonder people hate her.

Thanks for posting these scans, Nacht. This is such a sad and heart wrenching scene. I'm sure if her minis had come out before her début in Uncanny, a lot more people would like her today. I yet have to get her second mini, but will definitely do so.
Actually, her first mini debuted before she was in Uncanny. First she was on Evo, then the mini, then Uncanny. Though, there are alot of X-followers who only read the core titles and therefor only have experience with the characters in there. And so a bunch only got to see CC's interpretation (a sad situation that happened to befall a fav of mine whom people hate for similar to the same reasons as they hate X23 and also never got to see her glory in the book she debuted in, rather than CC's craptastic version- who shall remain nameless :P).

But really, don't even get me started on CC. UGH. But X23 rocks :)
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Ok, how has no one rushed out to pick up X23 and Target X?? Seriously, check them out! She's one of the better new characters introduced in the past few years, and certainly two amazing miniseries. I really enjoyed the inclusion of Cap America and Matt Murdock in Target X too. I like when Marvel books overlap :D
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator

Post by littlebamf »

They plain don't have taste, that's why :P

I already own both so I just reread them :x23
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

my book store sux yo, it doesnt have them (im typing one-handed fyi)
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator

Post by littlebamf »

You can probably get them off Amazon no problem, if you're up for odering offline. They are both really worth getting hold of.
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

I have the first X-23 miniseries as single issues, but because I'm beginning to prefer trades, I ordered it together with the second mini and the NYX trade from my local store now. Good times. :D
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Originally posted by littlebamf
You can probably get them off Amazon no problem, if you're up for odering offline. They are both really worth getting hold of.
Yes, but I'm a naughty comics fan - typically I read only what I can get for free, either by reading it AT the store, or illegal scans online, or just srounging up indepth summaries and reviews. I go to a lot of trouble not to spend a few bucks. :shifty

But I will occasionally by something if it sounds interesting enough. Usually I saw those dollars for Nighty-centric stories, or, nowdays, for the subway token to the comics store.

[Edited on 9-19-07 by Feuerstein]
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young