Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man (Miles Morales)

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!!

Sorry that my thread from the old server didn't come over. I searched and searched, but couldn't find it. I hope we can merge topics here if it shows up.

In my eyes, ultimate Spider-Man is the best ultimate series and has surpassed Cannon Spider-Man especially since the whole Civil War upheaval. Ultimate Spider-Man does justice to classic characters, giving them new costumes, with updated background stories, interesting new personality trains, and there's always, ALWAYS the great twist that comes around and you say MAN! I did NOT see that coming!

The series is so much better when you know your 616 characters though. Knowing that Bagely was the original illustrator for Carnage, I knew it was only a matter of time until they threw Carnage in, and thankfully they did it before the end of his run. (WHAT A STREAK HUH?) But seeing the Tinkerer create the slayers, or Daredevil and Moon Knight teaming up with the other three to form the Marvel Knights! I mean what a blast, this series never gets old, never gets dull, and even the issues where there's little action, and mostly dialogue, it's intriguing, the illustrations always keep you looking at the page and not just the text, and best of all, it's Spider-Man as he should be. Young, resourceful, hopeful guy who only wants to make a difference and protect those he loves.

I adore the love/hate relationship between Parker and Fury and I especially love Peter's constant cracks towards Wolverine (i.e. when the X-men show up and he begins to freak out wondering if Logan went "a-wall" again). Spider-Man comes off as a mere "Power Pack" member at first, just another kid with super abilities, but he has grown into a formidable foe for all who take on New York, or specifically queens and upper manhattan, and he has become Ultimates Worthy in just under a year. The idea Bendis had to age Peter one whole year at every 100 issues was very smart. So every 100 issues a year should pass by, and this is without a doubt the best organization I've seen in comic-continuity that I've seen in a LONG LONG TIME, (especially in a Spider-man comic!)

Spider-man, right after 9/11 really made a lot of noise with the release of the movie. This series helped to re-fuel him, but I'm going to be honest, if Superman is the man of tomorrow, the man who symbolizes america's power, and Captain America symbolizes it's freedom, then spider-man symbolizes the next best thing, the heart of New Yorkers. The greatest city in the world, literally four cities in one, New York has once again, just as it was in the Lee/Ditko days, become just as much a character in the series as Mary-Jane, Aunt May, Harry or Eddie. The monuments, the house he lives in, the baxter building, it doesn't feel like they just throw them in now for kicks, it no longer feels nostalgic. The series feels young, innovative, and most importantly, it feels like Spider-Man, and not the author who's penning him at the time. There's no convoluted mass clone stories (hence the clean up Bendis did in Ultimate Clone Saga) and there's even asides and jabs at classic sixties, seventies campy behavior such as the upcoming "Spider-Man & His Ultimate Friends!" storyline set up, introducing Ultimate Firestar and the ultimate "AMAZING FRIENDS!" to the ongoing series.

In short, Bendis is a genius, and everything he's done with Ultimate Spider-Man I've approved of.

With the exception of one thing.

I feel he needs to include Ultimate Chameleon very soon, because to me this is one of Stan's iconic villains, one of the main baddies Spider-Man was supposed to be up against, not puff-balls and pushovers like Shocker and Boomerang.

Otherwise though, the series is Gold. I love it. Anyone else?

[Edited on 23/9/11 by Ult_Sm86]
Last edited by Ult_Sm86 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Okay, latest update!

Starting with Ultimate Comics: All-New Spider-Man #1 the character (just created by Bendis) named Miles Morales will be taking the mantle (and tights) of SPIDER-MAN within the Ultimate Universe!

This is the first time anyone besides Peter Parker, in a current timeline, with the exception of Peter's clone, has ever been Spider-Man. It's also the first time Spider-Man's been latin/african-american heritage!

This is a big change! And a great one!

If you haven't read this issue -- I HIGHLY SUGGEST IT!

It's really a fantastic read, lots of nods to canon, plus a fresh-enough story that it doesn't feel bound to anything old.

This book will truly be something original, which is a first time for a lot of Spider-Fans. Many have complained about their quest to find originality in the stories, and claiming they have not seen it.

This is a definite, creative, unique take on the character.
If you don't want to bog yourself down with all the back-story of other characters/what's been going on thus far?
Don't worry about it! Everyone's gone!
There's no reason to worry about who else was in the book, because they're all irrelevant now! It's Miles' book, and it's about his cast of characters.
So definitely take a look at this, especially if you're a Web-head like me! :spidey
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

Post by Ferguson »

Now, most of you know how much I absolutely *hate* when old history is made irrelevant so skipping over that point I'll focus on one good point that should be brought up.

Hurray diversity! It's about time for more! After the company pulled their Storm/Black Panther 'lets get married because we're black and waaaaay back we might have been characters that meshed and made sense but now we don't but who cares because we're both black' marriage maybe this is a sign of Marvel stepping forward instead of rolling so very far backwards on this front.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Oh I absolutely hate when old stuff is made completely irrelevant too. For new readers' sake, the Ultimate Aunt May/Gwen Stacey/MJ storylines have been side-lined until Miles' story is fleshed out more. I believe.

Also Kitty, Iceman, & Johnny just fled their "foster-home" with the Parkers to live down in the Morlock tunnels. It seems that Ultimate X is going to be getting a new fire-member. ;) I see the three of them in their own book (or with the other Ult. X members -- who are left ) quite easily.

Speaking of Miles' story, the beginning of his starts off with him at a very young age. I wonder if it will remain here? Or flash forward perhaps?
He's basically 14. Peter was 16 I think when he got bit Ultimate Spider-Man #1 in 2001.

It's also good to see he's not a replica of original Spidey either. His powerset is slightly different.

This is more of the previews from Issue #2:

It appears he has some kind of touch... similar to Anti-Venom's from 616 perhaps?

====

One other thing:

Digital Comic Download Record?

Broken. By Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #1... Not one of DC's New 52. ;) :spidey HUZZAH!

[Edited on 23/9/11 by Ult_Sm86]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

*Ba-BUMP!*

Here's the previews for Issue 3

[Edited on 6/10/11 by Ult_Sm86]
Chaos
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Mr. President
Nightscrawlearth Character: :venom :spidey etc.

Post by Chaos »

QUOTED: (Ult_SM86) "It appears he has some kind of touch... similar to Anti-Venom's from 616 perhaps?"

Miles' 'stun-venom' power seems more akin to that of Spider-Woman; that said it requires touch, so not as potent.

You know, maybe.

And as for this... I mean, OMFGJBEWASITFDAWWAAAT: Marvel even has original power ideas. I mean....wow....because Fear Itself seems to have strung along the thematic 'And the world ended. And we never, ever spoke of it ever again', I pretty much figured it was about time to give up on Marvel's big-name writers (ok, FI is GOOD. But it's ONLY 'GOOD', which makes it not so good.) (Spider Island has also been pretty good. (Check it out, srs).).

But honestly, Ult. Spiderman's reboot has been the single best thing (IMO) to happen to Marvel since bringing back Venom solos.
"I've met dozens like you. Skipped off home early, minor graft jobs here and there. Spent some time in lock-up too, I'll warrant; but less than you claim. And now you're, what, a petty theif with delusions of standing? Sad little king of a sad little hill..." - River Tam, 'Firefly'

Achievements: ImageImageImage
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I have to agree.

Well, that and bringing Daredevil back to square 1. The way he went to "find himself" in Chile or whatever was sorta stupid, but at least he's back to basics again.
They've been doing a lot of things right lately, with the exception of 'Fear Itself' and 'Schism', that is.

You know what I'm TRULY excited to see though?

Original Ultimate-Spider-Man villains. Ones that have not seen the light of day in 616. That'll be fun.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Miles' 'stun-venom' power seems more akin to that of Spider-Woman; that said it requires touch, so not as potent.

I would've thought so too but it took out Electro in one touch. I have to say, they're going to be stuck stacking the deck against this little guy if he can take out Electro in a single bad-touch.

I am LOVING this title. Please tell me someone else besides me is reading this?! Brian Michael Bendis is easily one of the best comic book writers to have ever been.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Re: Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man (Miles Morales)

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I was like, "Please don't be spam, please don't be spam" and then I saw your compliment and I was all "YAY!"

.... And then you posted that fucking link.
*le sigh*.

Also, isn't Paul Williams the junky Temptations member who died in like 78?
Can we keep the post? :puppy
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

well no we can't, because it was a spam post. Sorry. But thank you for reporting...
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I hope Miles kicks his Uncle's ass.

Honestly, I love how corrupting an influence "The Prowler" is in this series, but it's only issue #10 and I feel an overwhelming need for his teeth to get kicked in.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So though Sara Pichelli has been busy with other titles, David Marquez has stepped in and done a good job replicating her style.

Next month's issue is set to introduce Ultimate version of Cloak & Dagger. Who the hell ISN'T excited about this?
Just look at that beautiful artwork!

Also, check out his other panels:

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

This was a great story...

But I wonder how it felt to hear as a child for the first time ever, that one of your heroes looked like you. And I thought about how many kids don’t necessarily need to hear that, because there are so many characters that could look like them that it goes without saying. And I thought about all the parents and kids who are going to pick up this comic and see Spidey look like they could be related to him.