new Dave Cockrum pics!

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Bamfette »

well he signed up with an alias, i didn't know until last night if he wanted his secret identity blown, so i said nothing....

still waiting to hear back from him on a final confirmation.
arctic fox
Lubber
Lubber

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by arctic fox »

These are good, his linework is as srong as ever.
It's a crying shame that this style of art is so out of fashion nowadays. Some of the hot young turks, currently flavour of the month, could learn a lot from such a solid artist.

I've got every issue of Uncanny from 94 up untill Chris left in the early nineties. Dave Cockrum's work even in the late seventies, early eighties, harked back to a previous era when the basics were still important far more than flashy technique and graphics.
I grow sick artists who are a one trick pony - who can do great superheroes in heroic poses but can't do backgrounds or civilians or simple panel variations.
fine woodcrafts and pagan designs at
http://www.plokta.com/woodlore
BlueJubatus
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by BlueJubatus »

I hear you on that. Ive only just recently been able to start picking up back issues from then, but i gotta say i like them more. :)
sometimes its fun just to catch the little nods that the artists throw in there.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Garble »

Maybe Dave's afraid once he's started posting we'll all jump on him like over-enthusiastic miniature-poodles.
When I first started posting over on his thread at X-Fan, it was all I could do to keep from gushing like some drooling fiend.
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Stormwatch »

And I've posted once at his forum. Although I didn't notice it till a little while ago. I mean I saw it, but didn't venture in. Till the Superhero thread.
:panther: 66 Bridges
:daredevil: 25 Cents of Time

But I DO have big teeth.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

questions for Dave Cockrum

Post by Bamfette »

well, Dave dropped by again, but said he didn't feel he had 'anything worth saying' on any of the conversations. :shocked:

so post here questions, gushing over how talented he is, or random comments you'd like to say to him, we'll get him to post ;)
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Stormwatch »

OKay, now, although Kurt is REALLY cool by all parties, and I DO wanna hear your opinion of him.

What do you think of Kitty and her recent developments.

She has left the x-Men and is in college at the moment. And is being penned by Claremont in MEchaniX.

But I DO have big teeth.
Booker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Booker »

I saw a bunch of old Nightcrawler comics the last time I went to a comic shop, but I was way too dirt poor to buy them. I really love the old one's, and I'm in total awe of everything Cockrum. I feel like such a fangirl. :love:
Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksman
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Hsu »

Ok, so here's my opinion on Cockrum's Nightcrawler, please read this all before stoning me.
His version, although not my favorite looks wise, has to be the BEST Nightcrawler, because it is THE Nightcrawler. I do like some of the other artists renditions better (SORRY!) but where would they be without Cockrum? They all have something to base their Crawlers on. An original, to work off of. Cockrum's is so great because it is the original impression we get of him. Even though I like the other artists, Cockrum's Nightcrawler is the one that is engraved into my head as Nightcrawler. Ok, so now I'm rambling and I'll stop now. I'd wish he'd post...

BTW, I can't think of anything to ask him! OMG! I love his work, and I have nothing to say to him! God, I'm such a dweeb.
[spoiler]I hate post whores![/spoiler]
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Slarti »

*hides behind a blue velvet chair* I'm afraid I'm one of the read but don't post ones at Cockrum's forum. *cringes* I just never knew what to say. I've met and talked to a ficcer who's friends with him and who shares his wife's Magneto obsession, but that's hardly the place to start a conversation. Oh well. It is an awesome thought that he might post here sometime, and maybe I'd even work up the nerve to talk to him. You know, his membership seems to me to give us even more of an air of legitimacy, if you get what I mean. We are THE place for Nighty fans. Plus it's just plain cool.
:D
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Hsu »

Yes, that does make sense. How many other Nightcrawler forums have Dave Cockrum as a member?! NONE that's how many! :D
My plan is to talk ABOUT him all the time but never TO him. That way I won;t get scared.
BamfKat
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by BamfKat »

First off Dave, if you are reading this, welcome to the list! I won't stone Hsu, just toss some gravel at him... :evil: Ahem...

Actually I have to agree with him though. The original design was so completely original. There has yet to be another that aproaches him in that respect. On an artistic and "Powers" level he is one of a kind. ;)

As far as his personality goes Nightcrawler was the one I could relate to. You had him laugh, cry, be joyous, sad, angry... I always wanted to keep the hope you so evidently depicted Kurt having in my heart. This was the guy I could see through the eyes of. And I don't agree with some of the recent directions because they made him too inaccessible. Though he is currently seeming to come back into his own... :)

Thanks for one of the greatest characters ever.:D:D:D
BamfKat,
Hey, is it supposed to smoke like that? :bamf
BamfKat
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by BamfKat »

However, I will be hiding with Slarti behind the blue velvet chair :o "DUCK! More gravel is incoming!!!":smirk:
BamfKat,
Hey, is it supposed to smoke like that? :bamf
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Bamfette »

aw he's a nice guy, he don't bite! (unless you mention shaved-head nightcrawleror Kurtlasco) you don't ahve to be shy talking to him, he's willing to talk about pretty much anything...

btw guys i am at this very second getting some more pics by him ready to upload!! :D about... *checks* EIGHT! and some more Kurt ones, too! :)

c'mon Dave, these are some of your biggest fans!! ;)

and lookit the smilies we have for you to play with: :bamf: :storm: :colossus: :kitty: :spidey: :flash: :torch: :sentinal: :mags: and more...
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Hsu »

OMG! Since when do we hav a Flash smiley?!? Before Nightcrawler, The Flash was my favorite superhero! I watched the live action show and everything! :flash:
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Panz »

Thanks Jill, the pics are awesome of course, I cant decide which one is my favorite,Movie buff or Paty with "her" Magneto!

Ive met the guy a couple of times, but it was years ago, he is a real sweet heart, so dont let him fool you with his Im-an ogre-that-eats-little-kids stuff:smirk:

BTW, some time ago while doing a pic search, I came across a drawing called something like "cliff hanger" or something

Nighty had BAMFed into a no teleport zone and was hanging by his tail in a scaggy tree on a cliff, complete with a leering vulture. The look on Nighty's face was magic, haas anyone here seen that pic? I think that it is Cockrums, its very funny.

And thanks for inviting him to our little corner of madness, He's a blast to talk with.:D
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Bamfette »

oh man are you guys gonna love the new pics, i gotta get Ryan in here, he included his never used re-design for Angel!!
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Hsu »

Buzz headed Nightcrawler... heehee.
Remember that Water Wars Nightcrawler action figure? He had a buzzed head. Looked like a freaking goon.

/me wonders what Cockrum thinks of the X-babies reincarnation of Nightcrawler
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Slarti »

Although I liked the personality that shaved-head Nighty was written with, I agree that his look was bad news (I've always wondered what he thought about Kurt havig facial hair). I don't care for the Kurtlasco idea myself (though I think it is at least interesting), so I can agree with his dislike of that. Priestcrawler was also a patented bad idea. He does have a forbidding web presence though, in some of his posts and that's one reason I never posted over at his board. I figured most of it was just that people often come off harsher on the web than in RL because on the web we're missing non-verbal cues. Then again, I can understand his anger because sometimes I've seen people gang up on him at his own forum, and that's just not right.

I love his art, and I can't help liking the guy from his posts just because he DOESN'T take any shit off anyone. Also, we all know he modeled Nighty's personality on himself to some extent, and I do sometimes see that come out in his posts. The humor and the no-shit-taking, I mean. That always makes me smile.

I'm done talking about him now, because knowing that he might be reading this weirds me out too much. Dave, if you ARE reading, thanks for Nighty and all your other creations. If it wasn't for you, we would never know Nighty and the world would be a duller, less blue place.

;)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Bamfette »

allrighty people, brand new pics are up from Dave! http://www.bronzepig.com/cockrum/ :D (if nothing else click that thumbnail of Cyclops!!)
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Slarti »

Bamfette, the second self portrait image is missing.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Bamfette »

fixed now ;) just a lil typo
Booker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Booker »

Ooo... I *like* the Uhura one. A lot. She was always so *cool*. Same with the Spock and Bones picture. :laugh:
Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksman
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Hsu »

Wow indeed Jill! That Big Fight one is awesome! I also really like his self potrait. His eyes seemed to be fixed on only one of the many character surrounding him. ;)
Stormwatch
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

new Dave Cockrum pics!

Post by Stormwatch »

Hobbits, bwahahahaha, those are hilarious. And the selfportraits are cool. And Tsunami is cool.

But I DO have big teeth.