Suggestions

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Suggestions

Post by Siona »

I'm trying to break out as a writer for Marvel, specifically X-Men. As a writer, what suggestions would you give for writers who want to write their own comics and/or their own storylines for existing comics?

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Suggestions

Post by Dark Bamf »

I only just noticed this thread, Siona. Sorry to get to it so late.

Truthfully, I've been out of the loop so long I'm not sure how you'd go about getting a writing job. Best way, I guess, is to cultivate a friendship with one or more editors, or possibly go to one of the big cons where the companies have booths, and show them your work. And good luck. You'll need it.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Suggestions

Post by Paty »

:mags
What an innocent... dave you don't have a clue here.
If you are a female, dear, your best bet in reality is to find a male onstaff to hitch up with. It is the only way to break into Marvel. But don't ever expect to be taken seriously by THAT company. the DC Vertigo line may give you an "in" if your writing is weird oriented... but superheroees are still the perview of the boys. there are a lot of small self publishers... and they can be found on the internet... who will publish young and aspiring writers and artists. The money is non existant, and the distribution is spotty, but getting your stuff into print, even if it is black and white, is a jump forward. It is a good training ground for young aspiring creators to try out their skills and hone them.. find out what works and what doesn't. there is nothing like practice and seeing your stuff in print to make you look at it with a fresh eye... and usually cringe..LOL

But it is valuable training. Marveloccasionally puts out tryout books in which they deliniate some of their requirements for both writers and artists... try to find one of them and follow the suggestions therein.
With Mavel, if you are a guy, you will meet with more chances than if you are a girl. People say that it has changed... but it hasn't. Girls have historically gotten jobs there if they KNEW someone male on staff who would help them get a foot in the door... or were married or involved with someone there... or who were talented in ...um... other ways... if you get my drift. But in no way will a female creator be taken seriously there or gt a lasting or immportant gig. They will use and abuse you there... so be warned. If you feel masochistic enough to try it, go ahead. Other companies may offer better chances. But don't count on that if you are female, either...

Now, coloring and editorial have been ways for girls to get into Marvel...but don't expect to go much further... in reality, at any rate.

Self publishing is a viable way to go if you can either afford it yourself or can find a small press publisher who is looking for new talent to showcase...and there are a number of them on the internet. Search under publishers, comic books... or small press publishers...etc. If you find nothing in one category, then cross reference to check other possibilities.
For example, there was once, I donn't know if it still exists... a small press publisher called Glass Prism in the yahoo groups area. It was sponsored by a small press person who wanted to print books.. comic books... b/w, but still, print! so they can be found...and used to sharpen your skills and get into print in the first place.

If you have a couple of printed books under your belt and in your portfolio, an editor can see many things about how you think and if you can do sequential panel storytelling coherently. You don't need to be coherent if you have already made a name for yourself in the print medium, but it helps if you have a modicum of cohernecy and can prove it if you are a novice breaking in. Several issues of ongoing storyline with interesting characters can tell an astute editor a lot. some of the small publishers will also help you find an artist to work with too...
Good luck, kiddo...

LOL
Paty
:mags
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto