Uncanny Dave Cockrum Tribute

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

Cliff Meth said he wasn't going to put the Sergio Arragones piece up for auction. He feels that it's so personally relevant to me, that I should have that one. If I do get it, you can bet it gets framed and goes up on the wall. I practically fell out of my chair when I saw it!

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
the4thpip
Lubber
Lubber

Post by the4thpip »

Originally posted by BH123

Here are some of my favorites:

Colossal Boy by Jon Bogdanove

That is a strikingly beautiful drawing. I miss seeing Jon's work on a regular basis.
Ach! Liebchen!
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

:mags

there are so many wonderful pieces of art in that book that it is difficult to pick one as a favorite, in my opinion. The mediums that the qieces are done in vary widely, too.

It sure is one hell of a get well card!

LOL
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
kcekada
Lubber
Lubber

Post by kcekada »

Just received my book this weekend. I had ordered it long ago, but I guess my order got overlooked. Also received Futurians 0 with it.

Dave's cover was a great surprise. I really wasn't expecting any Cockrum art...so I was blown away when I saw the cover.

I really liked that some of the artists featured Dave's Futurians. Dave really did some nice stuff for Epic...shame it was a short-lived series.

The tribute that really touched a chord with me was Neil Gaiman's. I could really relate to what he said. Also liked Jim Lee's acknowledgement that Dave was the artist to make X-Men a break-away book.

Mike Grell's Lightning Lad was a surprise. I never hated Mike, but I was never happy with his Legion work. It wasn't until the Longbow Hunters that I came to appreciate him as an artist.

Loved the Simonson X-Men/Legion team-up. It's interesting in that he drew the X-Men/Titans team up that I think Dave was supposed to do originally. Also, at one time it was supposed to be a Legion/X-Men book, but the LSH got bumped when the Titans became DC's best selling comic.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Well... glad you liked the book.
The nightcrawler cover was a painting of Nighty that Dave did for me when we were dating. Cliff wanted a piece of dave's art that had never been published for the cover if we had such a thing... and i told him I had the Nightcrawler painting.
To get it shot for the cover, I had to unframe it, and then take the canvas off the stretcher so that it could be laid flat to be photographed. I got a couple of prints while I was at it and Dave will probablly have them laser scanned and take them with him when he goes to cons to sell as mini posters. At one time, Dave approached Marvel about using that piece as a Nightcrawler poster... guess who wasn't interested? that's right...Marvel!
I think...and Dave does too,...that it would have made a blockbuster poster... but what do WE know?
A lot of people have commented on that cover. The original is safely back on it's stretcher and in it's frame and on the wall here at Cockrum Corner! Heh heh... which is what I call the ol' homestead and the adjacent studio which is still being unboxed! It DOES have a certain alliterative ring, doesn't it?

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

I just picked it up...cost me a pretty penny too, what with the dollar difference...but still well worth it :D
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Glad you got it when you could. I am told the print run has totally sold out!
I do know that Cliff is supposed tobe doing another run... but this one will be hardbound, will contain the stuff in the original as well as other stuff that came in after the deadline as well as a page bound into every book done by Dave himself as an original drawing in each book... with every drawing being different. I have no idea when that will be out, but will announce it when I find out.
to all and sundry who sent art and text, Dave and I wish to say a whopping 'THANK YOU'!!! And to all who bought it, I hope you enjoy it as much as Dave and I do!

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
deuce
Lubber
Lubber

Post by deuce »

Eeps - a hardback?? :love I will definitely have to pay attention then.
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Yeah... this one is gonna be a very limited edition, though, among other things, because Dave is doing an original drawing to be bound into each book...not a reproduction...so each book will be different, depending on the drawing bound into that book.
so it will probably be pricey...LOL... I don't know how pricey... but I will give particulars here when I know them...OK? then everybody can faint dead away...LOL...probably including ME!

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by mt_rambler »

Cool, I will definitely pick up the hardback when it comes out. Will Dave being drawing Marvel Girl on some of the tip in pages?

Be seeing you,
Brian
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

LOL... I have no idea! He mentioned at the table last night that he hadn't done a Magneto yet and should probably do so...LOL
that was after I heard from Rivka that the latest news out was that next May they are doing a special eight issue book written by one of the "magneto is a ratbastard villain" crew... from the Millar camp... Blevins? perhaps? in which they are gonna turn Wanda into "dark wanda" AGAIN !!! sheesh! can't these boys do ANYTHING original??? It's been DONE, asswipes! And it didn't even ring true then. The EEEVIL family of
Magneto...sigh... get off it you turds!
but the morrison/byrne/millar groupies want their way...Magneto is eeeeevil...
I was ranting about it at the table... we only get a reasonable Mags for a year???!!!??? shit! and dave made the inane comment that he hadnn't done a Magneto yet...somaybe he better do that. Marvel girl? Who knows? I think he was doing mostlly his own creations including futurians...but I don't know for sure. and I am not sure there is any way to get a specific drawing...they are all different and will be bound in to each book as it comes...randomly. so what you get is what you get from your supplier.You might really want a wolvie and end up with Nightcrawler... which wouldn't be bad in my book...LOL...

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

About the "Dark Wanda", I was afraid of that... It seems she's responsible for the Fall of the Avengers.
Bendis's idea it seems. We'll know for sure next week.
I'm quite mad ! :mad
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Paty »

Ha! according to that idiot Quesada, any reaction is a good reaction! He'll learn when all the old time Avengers fans take a hike. He let Morrison destroy his long time readershiip of the X men... now it's Thor and the Avengers...I wonder who is paying him how much to run this company into the ground.

No female at marvel is allowed to have power or use it to it's max or control it well ...if at all. And if they do, they are sluts and bitches and deranged.
Except Sue Storm... who is the madonna/mother cow...with an apple pie smile. PTUI! Marvel has become a juvenile put pullers delight.
I really do hope long time Avengers fans will drop the book. The only way to get Mavel's attentionis to hit them in the pocketbook. I just hope Avi Arad wasn't planning a blockbuster Avengers movie with the characters just killed or driven off. He ain't gonna be a happy man if he was. He wants characters in the movies to be the same ones in the books...and that ain't gonna hapen now, is it? Oh well...
And over in Excalibur... Mags is supposed to be lying low... so what the hell is he doing showing up in Avengers to cart Wanda off? In costume, no less! Another imposter? Maybe. Mags is hiding out and doesn't want people to know he's alive. Showing up on Avengers doorstep doesn't seem like a way to do that. so what is going on here? Well... Bendis is setting up next year's debacle.."The Family of M" in spite of what Chris is trying to do in Excalibur with him. So which one will be the REAL magneto? Toss your coin...betcha they take him back to the ol' eeeevil ratbastard of Planet X. Those little neo nazis never give up, do they?
It sure ain't the House of Ideas anymore. It's the house of bigotry, stupidity and recycling. Garbage in...garbage out.

paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020