Dave, did you draw this cover?

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
czeskleba
Lubber
Lubber

Post by czeskleba »

Hi,
Over on the gold/silver/bronze message board we were discussing the cover of Captain America #223. There's no visible credits, but someone theorized it looked like your pencils. I agree Cap's face in particular looks Cockrumesque, and I know you were doing a boatload of covers for Marvel during this period. So I thought I would ask... is this your work? The cover is visible here:
http://www.comicboards.com/gsmb/attachm ... %20223.jpg
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

the image you linked to was merely a title for the site. did you mean this thread?

http://www.comicboards.com/gsmb/view.ph ... 1108110230
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Why was Lincoln attacking Cap?
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by mt_rambler »

Captain America #223 is credited to Ernie Chan in two spereate places, http://www.comics.org and The Unofficial Handbook to Marvel Comic Creators. I tend to agree.

Be seeing you,
Brian
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

Nope, it wasn't me. I'll take Brian's word for it and say it was Ernie Chua (which was his real last name--somewhere along the way, somebody at Marvel decided that Chan sounded more recognizeable to American ears).

Oh, BTW, I'm back online, with my shiny new 17-inch, widescreen/flatscreen LCD iMac.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by mt_rambler »

Dave,
Great to hear you have a new iMac. I have a 20" flatpanel iMac and its a great little computer. Now you need to get one of the ipods to go with it. ;-)

Be seeing you,
Brian
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

No, I don't see me getting an iPod. I'm not a music cultist. The last time I paid any attention to pop music was in the '70s.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
czeskleba
Lubber
Lubber

Post by czeskleba »

Thanks for the reply, Dave (and happy belated birthday, by the way... according to my 1976 Marvel calendar yours is the day before mine). That cover could indeed be Ernie Chan, but he usually signed his work. The leading theory now is that it's inks by Ricardo Villamonte, who did some work for Marvel around that time. It looks like his line to me. But the penciller is still a mystery. Maybe Ernie did the pencils and Ricardo the inks?
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Post by Paty »

:mags
Hey Brian... Dave, having got his new MAC or iMAC...WHICHEVER... is now confused and confuddlesd. so if you are conversant with Macs, maybe you can answer a question.
In the programming that comes installed, which he is using to email... is there a basic "word" program? He needs word and cannot find it or even find if it is there. He did find a thingie that told him he could buy a four or five hundred "word" program... but all he wants to do is type out script and keep notes on stories he is working on.
doesn't seem right that he should have to spend another hunk of change to get a basic program. He doesn't need much, actually... just a basic word program.
Now, I remember that one of the bugaboos about Macs was supposed to be that they didn't have much programming installed to start with and if you wanted this or that you had to buy it and install it. which seems a ripoff in many ways, to me. I mean, if you need an advanced word processor program...fine... but a basic one? shouldn't that come with the expensive goddam package? and it was expensive, too! sigh..
so is there such a basic program and if so, how does he access it? These are all new controls... he had the stuff he needed to know memorized for the other machine and this is different. Can you give him a little help on this?
Thanx
Paty
:mags
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto