Paty and Dave art day!

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Paty and Dave art day!

Post by BH123 »

I just recieved a cool piece of artwork by Paty and Dave Cockrum. It has sketches of Magneto by the two of the, a full figure by Paty, and a head shot by Dave. I have no idea where and when this was originally done. I got it from a fellow named Doug Resnick, who collects a lot of convention sketches. Normally he holds on to those for a long time before he ever considers parting with them. So I would not be surprised if this was drawn at least several years back. You can see a scan of the art, along with all my other Cockrum goodies, here...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=2441

Anyway, I'm really happy to have obtained this piece. i had wanted to get a Magneto sketch by Paty for years now, ever since I saw her and Dave at a store signing in Pleasantville NY. Paty had brought along a big pile of Magneto sketches she had drawn in the past, and they were incredible. There was this one where Magneto was making out with Rogue that was very steamy, and another where Paty had drawn Magneto threatening to kick Bob Harras' rear end, or something :LOL

So, yeah, now I finally have a Magneto drawing by paty, as well as an X-Men related piece by Dave. I expect I'll be keeping this in my collection for the forseeable future.

By the way, if Paty or Dave recalls when they did this, I would like to hear the story behind it. I think it's cool that both of them did their renditions of Magneto side-by-side.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Paty and Dave art day!

Post by HoodedMan »

Ooh, those look VERY nice. I always love it when two artists work side by side on the same character. Most excellent.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
BH123
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Paty and Dave art day!

Post by BH123 »

I heard back from Doug Resnick, regarding when he obtained these sketches...

"i got it from the cockrums themselves. i got it in the mid 90's around the time of valiant birth-quake jumpstart. they were both sitting at a table at a show."

Doug is an absolute genius when it comes to obtaining convention sketches. I don't know how he does it.

Anyway, he must have had this one for about ten years. And now I get to give it a good home :)
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

Paty and Dave art day!

Post by Paty »

:mags
Heh...coulda been anywahere from the ramapo con to anywhere on the upper east coast. I mostly went with Dave to local shows in southeastern NY state, the city, NJ, and a couple in cherry hill, Pa and a couple other PA shows. we did long Island shows and had a personal appearance in rockville Maryland, when we went to visit my ma a couple of times...and over in the columbia Mall near washington DC.
I didn't usually go with him to the way out of state cons...someone needed to stay home and keep watch on the animals. the dogs and the snake isn't a problem... but the macaws... they need fresh water and food daily. we can't do multiple day conventions unless they are close enough to drive to and from daily...simply because of the pets. If we wanted to be gone for more than a couple of days, I had to have my son, Phil, stay at the house and feed the critturs... which he did on occasion.. but now that we are in SC, and he is in NY... that ain't happenin' LOL

It might have been a Big apple con... we did a lot of those...who knows? I mostly didn't do con sketches, cuz I like to do more detailed work and color it... and that's just not feasable at a con...even rudy nebres gave up coloring at cons after a while...sigh...

so mostly if you get a drawing from me, it will be in color and will have a letter on the back. Some of the shots you mentioned were from the "when" series... letters in full color to Bob Hardass asking when Mags was coming back from the fall of Asteroid M in XMen 3... the last of Claremont's first run. Dave posted all of them to the gallery here but since the gallery is defunct... or stillborn, you can't see them... but, yes, I used to carry around bw xeroxes of the "when" stuff to regale folks with. when I did them, I didn't have access to a color xerox, so I xeroxed the bw art before I colored it... but the originals were in glorious color. Goddess only knows where they disappeared to once Hardass got his hands on 'em! they probably got shitcanned, cuz the letters on the back were not friendly or complimentary to Hardass... usually starting with "Harras, you idiot... are you still working there and if so...WHY??? Your sorry ass should have been canned long ago..."
Or words to that effect...LOL... Cliff , after seeing the black and white art, wanted to buy every one of them...Dave said he wouldn't have read them if he were Hardass... they were so insulting...LOL Yeah...well... if anyone deserved to be insulted, he did...and I have never been one to shirk a duty when it was so blatantly obvious that someone needed taking down a peg or seventeen...LOL
I am just sooooo good at it...heheheheheeee

I used to take a sketchbook of someone that Dave was doing a sketch in and take it home and do a 'FRONTIS/BACKUS" PIECE IN IT. AND THOSE ARE RARE TO COME BY... tHEY INVOVED A FULL COLOR PIECE DONE ON THE INSIDE OF THE FRONT COVER AND THE INSIDE OF THE BACK COVER. oNE PIECE, STRETCHING OVER THE TWO PAGES... CUZ i COLORED THEM WITH dR. mARTINS, ANALINE DYES, AND THE COVERS WERE THE ONY PAPER WITH BACKING THICK ENOUGH TO KEEP THE PAPER FROM WARPING. BUT TO SEE THE WHOLE DRAWING, YOU HAD TO HOLD THE BODY OF THE BOOK UP AND SPREAD THE COVERS FLAT. eACH COVER WAS A WHOLE DRAWING, BUT TOGETHER, THEY MADE A LARGER PICTURE, WORKING TOGETHER. iF THAT MAKES ANY SENSE...lol..OOPES... sorry... caps key again...sigh...either the frontis or backus piece usually had the owner of the sketchbook's name and sometimes address worked into the design. so they became a sorta large bookplate... as it were...LOL

I do know there was one of my color pieces... probably a letter... but maybe just a drawing... up on Ebay recently...definitely mine, probably about eleven by fifteen, which was my preferred working size...since I could cut a piece of bainbridge board in four quarters and have four surfaces to work on... and that was fine, cuz the BBboard didn't warp much and was a good surface to use Dr. Martin's on. DMs are wonderful, clear and brilliant colors... but you gotta be careful with them cuz they run even when fixed and some of the colors go fugitive if hung in direct sunlight... so you want tohang them in indirect lighting and/or man made lighting. It's some blues and some purples that are the fadeouts.. but otherwise, the colors are spectacular... and it is what we colored the comics with . Gave wonderful wet watercolor technique effects, too...LOL

I sooo hate the deadness of computer coloring and airbrushing...PTUI!
Give me a good wet watercolor technique any day!

LOL
paty
:mags
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto