Soul Searchers

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Soul Searchers

Post by StarChild »

Hiya, Dave!

Saw the art for Soul Searchers in the gallery, and I thought it was gorgeous! Also this piece:

http://www.nightscrawlers.com/coppermin ... m=79&pos=5

What was it from? I am in love with it. It is beautiful!

Ah, yes...lover at heart and along comes the ultimate romantic! Fox hunt ala Nightcrawler
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Soul Searchers

Post by chicory »

*laughs because the shirt looks just a little familiar
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Soul Searchers

Post by HoodedMan »

Wow. I love that costume. :x
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Soul Searchers

Post by StarChild »

Chicory! I tell you, it should be bare-chested! Whoever colored that in should be drawn, quartered, and, if he still lives, then shot, and keelhauled! (Oooopps!! A-heh! Did I suggest that? Silly me!!:shifty Tugs at collar!:blush! A little overly dramatic, ain't I?) Bare-chested!! the design of the costume for that spread demands a bare-chested Nightcrawler! (Besides, you don't think Davis?? Nah...just very similar!)

Now, Dave, back to Soul Searchers! That drawing of Baraka and Bridget...perfect! Perfect! Perfect! As is the first one I mentioned. Bridget could pass for my OC in my story...Perfect scenario...

[Edited on 19/3/06 by StarChild]

Ah, yes...lover at heart and along comes the ultimate romantic! Fox hunt ala Nightcrawler
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Soul Searchers

Post by chicory »

Deviates from Soul Searchers briefly -

What should happen to this colorist?

(I think you're right about the coloring. Especially if the danger room scenario is based on this issue)
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Soul Searchers

Post by StarChild »

Oh, dear...she may be right!! That is far too close to the original pic I cited. Ah, Dave, is Alan Davis a fan of yours?

And, Chicory! Gasp! Contented sigh! Fans herself! The colorist got it right that time! :naughty

[Edited on 19/3/06 by StarChild]

Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Soul Searchers

Post by Dark Bamf »

That art is from Marvel's John Carter, Warlord of Mars #11, the issue I penciled. That last panel is the wedding of John Carter and the incomparable Dejah Thoris, princess of Helium. The page was inked by Rudy Nebres, one of the finest artists in the business. It was a dream of mine to do Burroughs' Martian books as comics, ever since I spent my childhood roaming the dead sea bottoms of Barsoom. My dad had a huge collection of old Grosset & Dunlap hardcover Burroughs books--Tarzan, Earth's Core, Barsoom, Carson of Venus, and a lot of odd single books. I found them in old boxes in the basement and read them all, but I always loved the Barsoom books best.

Re Soulsearchers--I loved those characters, and I could've gone on forever doing the book if editor Richard Howell would've let me do some stories that fitted my own tastes, but he preferred soap opera stuff. As for Briget Lockerage--I always fellt that a young Maureen O'Hara would've been perfect in the part. As you can probably tell from the art, though, I was madly in love with Kelly. :LOL

:bamf

[Edited on 19-3-2006 by Dark Bamf]
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Soul Searchers

Post by StarChild »

Dave, inking is being a real bugger for me (says the snow-blinded artistic/writer type, who's retinas are still adjusting from going outside for twenty minutes. Ya' know? Everything is an interesting shade of overall green for at least three minutes until your eyes adjust. Ewww...!). How do you get a grip on the differences? Pencils are so controllable? Soft and subtle, whereas inks lend a whole new severity to your pics. Is there a way to learn inking or is it just practic, practice, practice? I would like to get the grasp of the caliber of artwork I see in the gallery.

Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Soul Searchers

Post by Dark Bamf »

Inking is not only 'practice, practice...', but there's a lot of that anyway. But you have to study the sort of linework others put down, and find something that pleases you. And inking isn't simply copying the pencil marks; the best inkers are creative in their own right and bring something of themselves to the job. One of the sources I found most useful when I was learning were two volumes of the collected works of Heinrich Klee', published by Dover Press. I'm pretty sure they're still available; that's the sort of thing that's kept in publication.

--Atilla's Hunny
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Soul Searchers

Post by Angelique »

Anoter E.R. Burroughs fan! :party
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Soul Searchers

Post by StarChild »

Ah, yes...whereas I enjoyed the cover art for those masterpieces, in book form and indulged in Harry Harrison's "Stainless Steel Rat" series, Niven's "Ringworld", Arthur C. Clarke and "Rendezvous with Rama", "Childhood's End", and Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land". I remember the "Warlord of Mars" comic book, though.

Who else have you read, Dave? (Harrison's Deathworld Trilogy is a good read too. And "Bill, the Galactic Hero)

Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout

Soul Searchers

Post by Dark Bamf »

I've read most of the authors you mentioned, especially Larry Niven. Anopther favorite of mine is Clifford D. Simak, nearly everything he wrote. But I don't restrict myse;f to science fiction: many of my old favorites are classical swashbucklers like 'Prisoner of Zenda' by Anthony Hope, and 'Scaramouche' by Rafael Sabatini. And 'Treasure Island', by Robert Louis Stevenson. That's one of my all time favorites. I find it somewhat inexplicable that I can dearly love a despicable villain like Long John Silver, but I do. I suppose I have a similar feeling for that rat-bastard Captain Hook. Go figure.

--Atilla's Hunny
StarChild
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Soul Searchers

Post by StarChild »

Off to get "Prisoner of Zenda", and dig up a copy of "Scaramouche"! I may have read "Treasure Island" a long time ago, but to refresh my memory...:D