Kurt's Fur

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
mega-lupin
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's Fur

Post by mega-lupin »

I've seen it mentioned in a much earlier topic that because Kurt has fur, that 'Goatee thing' (as described by Cockrum) would not be possible and that his 'Body hair does not work like that'.

I would just like to try and clarify, how exactly does hair work with his fur present? There are 2 Nightcrawler statuettes that include chest hair, or at least a generous amount of fur in that area, and above that, he has hair on his head.

Any ideas?
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt's Fur

Post by chicory »

Are you asking if Nightcrawler has to shave? :ooh:

Darick Robertson drew him with a beard in the solo series

But, yeah, I thought the same thing about the goatee when I saw Kurt's new look in the Excalibur books. Maybe he just dyes his fur to make it look like facial hair :?
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
mega-lupin
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's Fur

Post by mega-lupin »

Perhaps. The question just entails how it works, because numerous artists have drawn him in different ways. My personal view is that he probably just has longer fur in certain areas, like the center of his chest or thinner amounts of fur at joints, similar to most mammals.
It confused me however when it was suggested that he couldn't get facial hair, when I have seen him drawn with such, and a lot of sources have shown him with bodily hair too.

So... to narrow my rant down a little, I wanted to know if it was fur or hair. :D

(Edit: I imagine that on occasion dye is not needed, because his head hair described as darker than his fur. Maybe it is fur but of a darker pigment?)

[Edited on 16/10/06 by mega-lupin]
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt's Fur

Post by chicory »

I think he grows hair on his head like anyone else (who can grow hair), and it's not just long fur there. Though the idea of what fur he has being different lengths makes sense to me.

:scratch maybe his fur isn't fur at all, but just the way his skin is. That is, his skin cells just have a textured, velvety quality that give the appearance of fur or which he's decided to refer to as fur.

And if that's the case, maybe the hair follicles grow just like any other human male, and in the same places.

What I've wondered is can his 'fur' keep him warm? If it's not long enough to trap an insulating layer of air I don't see that it would be able to do that. So, does it serve any purpose at all? (Other than decorative.)
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
mega-lupin
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's Fur

Post by mega-lupin »

He's remarked a couple of times that he struggles with warm temperatures, which says to me that it's a similar type of hirsute to any other mammal, but perhaps shorter. He also sheds, which is a constant joke amongst the X-Men. So yeah, it is definately fur.

Still, it does beg to question if he has the same hair follicles... Hmmsors.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt's Fur

Post by chicory »

I know evoKurt sheds, but does 616Kurt?

Nightcrawler is a mutant, maybe his genes for hair growth are turned off in odd places - so he doesn't have to worry about keeping stocked up in the razor department.

I wonder if his fur covers all of his hands instead of just the backs like most mammals who have paws.
mega-lupin
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's Fur

Post by mega-lupin »

His fur does cover all of his hands methinks, cause when he was turned human, his fur shedded and his skin was white. I'd imagine that his skin is white, but his fur blue.

616 Kurt does shed, cause of the running 'don't go in the pool' joke.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt's Fur

Post by chicory »

Are you sure that's not evo? Kitty complains in one ep that Kurt is getting fur in the pool.

He swims with the other X-men when they first arrive at the mansion. Later he says he doesn't like to swim because it takes so long for him to dry off.

I think it's cannon that Beast's and Nightcrawler's skin is white under the blue fur, but I'd rather think of him as blue. And when Kurt reverted to human any blue skin that he had (if he had any) would have reverted to more typically human skin tones.
mega-lupin
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's Fur

Post by mega-lupin »

Well that's not correct because Mystique (if I remember rightly) still has yellow eyes and blue skin, whereas Kurt still keeps his yellow eyes too.

It's the 616 verse I'm sure. I know it's been touched upon in the evolution universe, but I know it has been elsewhere too. I think it might be the miniseries early on.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Kurt's Fur

Post by Angelique »

Well, if I remember correctly, Dave asked Paty what she thought blue skin should feel like, and she said like velvet.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
mega-lupin
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's Fur

Post by mega-lupin »

Cool. The topic seems to be one of constant change doesn't it? I mean, sometime's he's said to have fur, now you're saying they said blue skin with the feel of velvet. Cool :D

Pulling it outta a hat though, there's another discussion somewhere about how Kurt got the fur in general, because originally he was designed with dark skin. Another author suggested to Dave 'Let's make him furry'. That's it. Maybe different writers have different ideas about whether he is or not, though that does make me wonder why the nickname fuzzy would still apply.
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Kurt's Fur

Post by Dark Bamf »

As I created him, Nightcrawler had blue skin covered with a fine, seal-like fur. He didn't shed--but he also didn't like to be wet. And it was Kitty Pryde who first started calling him 'Fuzzy Elf' because originally she was afraid of him and the nickname helped her get over her fear.

:bamf
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
mega-lupin
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's Fur

Post by mega-lupin »

Thanks for clearing that much up Davey. I'm gonna re-ask the original question however, which seems to have disappeared under thebanter. :D

Just HOW does body hair work, drawing on the earlier discussion where you said "His body hair does not work that way" when regarding his goatee.
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Kurt's Fur

Post by Dark Bamf »

First: Do NOT call me Davey.

Second: It never occurred to me that he'd have occasion to need to shave. He obviously grows haiir on his head, and a nude Nightcrawler I did for Paty has pubic hair and chest hair. But facial hair? I don't know. I hated the goatee, though.

:bamf

[Edited on 18-10-2006 by Dark Bamf]
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
mega-lupin
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt's Fur

Post by mega-lupin »

I think a lot of people hated the goatee. It didn't fit in with the character really I don't think. It looked much too badassy for him, as did the shaved head.

Sorry for the name too, I didn't mean it offensively.