Dave Cockrum has passed away

A monument and archive dedicated to Dave and Paty Cockrum. Nightscrawlers was their home on the internet and always will be. This forum preserves that legacy.
Samy
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Samy »

I am so, so, so, so sorry. :(

Without Dave's work, I would never have become a comics fan. The All-New All-Different X-Men were what made me a comics fan for life, and without Dave's work in creating them, my life would have taken an entirely different turn indeed. Maybe my life hobby would have become roleplaying, or computers, or collecting DVDs -- but no, I became a comic book fan, and the course of my life was charted by Dave Cockrum's influence on the industry.

I will continue to honor and homage the man for as long as I will live.
--
Samy Merchi
Retroactive Comics - old school superheroes, old school stories! No gritty, no trenchcoats, no decompression!
PirateKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

My deepest Condolences

Post by PirateKurt »

My Deepest condolences to Dave's Family, loved ones, and especially to Paty.

I wish I had words to convey to you how deeply I will miss Dave. Yours and his friendship to me means more to me then I can say.

I consider myself lucky to have met you both. If there's anything I can do. Anything at all. let me know.

Richard
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I know I haven’t posted in quite a while, but I do pop in to read when I can find the time. The news of Dave's passing saddens me more than words can say.

There is a longing in many of use to do something that will make a difference in this world, but few of us ever realize that dream. Whether or not we care to admit it, pop culture has a great influence over most of our lives. With that kind of power, as we all know, also comes great responsibility.

Dave was directly responsible, at least in part, for creating icons that have become recognizable to millions – positive influences in the form of modern-day heroes. Can any one of us say we’ve made a bigger difference than that?

My deepest sympathy Paty. Dave was one of the special people. He will be missed by generations of comic readers.

Cyd

[Edited on 28-11-06 by Shadow_Dancer]
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
CliffordMeth
Lubber
Lubber

Post by CliffordMeth »

The LA Times contacted me today about Dave. Then Entertainment Weekly called. Dave's reach and reputation was wider than he ever imagined.
Kaileighblue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Kaileighblue »

Originally posted by CliffordMeth
The LA Times contacted me today about Dave. Then Entertainment Weekly called. Dave's reach and reputation was wider than he ever imagined.
It seems true on the internet. Most of the sites I frequent have posts about him. Some having nothing to do with comics.
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

You are mortal: it is the mortal way. You attend the funeral, you bid the dead farewell. You grieve. Then you continue with your life. And at times the fact of his absence will hit you like a blow to the chest, and you will weep. But this will happen less and less as times goes on. He is dead. You are alive.

So live.

-

Neil Gaiman
The Sandman - The Song of Orpheus
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

I hadn't visited for a while and this news is sad and shocking, Paty, Ivan, please accept my condolences, i was delighted to have 'met' Dave even if it was only online, and to have enjoyed his beautiful art.

Again, my condolences.

man, diabetes sucks....

[Edited on 28-11-0606 by kladyelf]
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Wolverine2
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Wolverine2 »

My deepest condolences to Paty and Dave's family he will surely be missed :bawl
MGPetrino
Lubber
Lubber

Post by MGPetrino »

For what it is worth, I called both the Style section and the Obituary section of the Washington Post to see if the newspaper was aware of Dave Cockrum's passing. The obit writer was aware, so maybe he will gain a mention in the Washington Post also. It would be a nice gesture.
mt_rambler
Lubber
Lubber

Post by mt_rambler »

There is a nice obituary in the Chicago Tribune on Dave.

http://tinyurl.com/yyqx39

and in the Dayton NewsOnline

"Nightcrawler's dad, dead at 63"
http://blogs.news-journalonline.com/247 ... at_63.html

An Appropriate title.

Be seeing you,
Brian

[Edited on 28/11/06 by mt_rambler]

[Edited on 28/11/06 by mt_rambler]
Nightwind
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Nightwind »

I am very sorry to hear of Dave's passing. My sincerest condolences to all of his family, friends, and fans.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I absolutely cannot believe this has happened. :surprise I never had the honor of meeting the most amazing comic drawer and writer I know of. Nightcrawler is now without a father and all we can do is mourn our loss. I know that among all of the other messages this is a bit insignifigant but my condolences to the cockrum family. God bless.

[Edited on 29/11/06 by Bamfing_Bob]
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Shashuella
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Shashuella »

I’m in shock and deeply saddened. Dave was a true genius, without his imagination the X-men comics would not be what they are today. Dave had a passion for the characters he created and he’s passion was infectious. In fact it’s a gross understatement to say Nightcrawler, Storm, Phoenix and Mystical are meanly characters, they are icons.

RIP Dave Cockrum- often imitated never surpassed.
Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes. [click] You're under!
KABOOM
Lubber
Lubber

Good Bye DAVE

Post by KABOOM »

Sorry I Dónt Speak English...mi nombre es Oscar González Loyo artista mexicano del cómic ...Quiero mandar mi más sentido pésame a los familiares de Dave a quien conocí en la Comic Con de San Diego, Descanse en paz este gran artista.

¡Saludos a todos los amigos de este foro!

Sorry fore write in spanish.

www.ka-boom.com.mx
http://emelkin.blogspot.com
Oscar González Loyo
Director General de
¡Ka-Boom! Estudio
CliffordMeth
Lubber
Lubber

Post by CliffordMeth »

Has this thread been deleted?
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Ah drat - no - just techincal difficulties with a merge I believe. I am sorry for the confusion. We will have it fixed ASAP and back to normal.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
CliffordMeth
Lubber
Lubber

Post by CliffordMeth »

Good. It was a nice collection of mini-tributes... Oddly enough, there's dozens and dozens of odes to Dave at John Byrne's Forums.
CliffordMeth
Lubber
Lubber

The NY Times...

Post by CliffordMeth »

will run a feature obit on Dave tomorrow. The LA Times ran theirs today.
williamcreed
Lubber
Lubber

Post by williamcreed »

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Rogue PHP Script

Post by Technical Administrator »

The original posts to this thread have been restored; they were temporarily orphaned when a merge changed the ID of this thread then an administrator changed it back in order to keep links intact. I apologise for the inconvenience.

Thank you,
Nightscrawler's Technical Administrator
GalacticAgent
Lubber
Lubber

Post by GalacticAgent »

William Creed, perfect!
Thanks
Jerry
I'll just jump up here on the rigging. You mean on top of everything else, this ship is rigged? Rumble, rumble. Stop that rumbling down there! Rumble
GalacticAgent
Lubber
Lubber

Post by GalacticAgent »

I'll just jump up here on the rigging. You mean on top of everything else, this ship is rigged? Rumble, rumble. Stop that rumbling down there! Rumble
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BamfChyck »

I haven't been here for so long.....

But as so many people do when they are grieving, I wanted to be around other people who understand how much Dave meant to me (to all of us) even though I had never met him in person. I'm glad I have this community for that.

I will greatly miss my favorite storyteller.
Nachtteufel
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Nachtteufel »

My heart goes out to Paty and everyone close to Dave.

His creative work has left lasting impressions on me. Through reading his posts here I have grown to respect and admire the person behind the art.

The world will be a lesser place without Dave Cockrum in it.
"You know there's no street like home
To make you feel so all alone"
SLF: Gotta Gettaway
SamKarns
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by SamKarns »

I just heard the news. I feel so sorry for Paty and the rest of her family. I wish her the best she's a wonderful woman, and did so much for Dave.