9/23 Issue: The Awakening - Old Friends

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

9/23 Issue: The Awakening - Old Friends

Post by Slarti »

Timelined Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Xavier: Charles thanked the nurse and sat back in the bedside chair. Physical therapy was difficult, but rewarding. Also, exhausting. To him, it felt as if he'd only been gone for the blink of an eye, but to the world - and to his body - it had been years. Years lost, and now... a second chance. He was not going to waste it.

Erik: Erik held the door for the nurse before stepping into the room, a small box in hand and a smile on his face. "I got your invitation, old friend," he greeted Xavier, his smile growing into a heartfelt grin.

Xavier: "Erik!" He'd been so lost in his own thoughts he had not sensed the other man. "Come, come, it's wonderful to see you." He gestured toward the other chair in his room.

Erik: "Likewise," Erik replied and crossed the room, putting the box of sweets on the small table next to the bed before pulling close the other chair. "I also had a bottle of very fine champagne to celebrate the occasion, but I'm afraid the nurses confiscated it, so I'm afraid we'll have to use it to celebrate your eventual escape from this place instead."

Erik: He sat down opposite of Xavier, the smile still on his lips. "Good to see you finally awake. You're looking good."

Xavier: "Thank you," he said, patting the box a little awkwardly, then laughed. "Yes, they tend to frown on that." Charles sighed and smiled at his old friend. "It's good to be awake. So much time lost, and I have a distance to go before release."

Xavier: He reached for the arm of Erik's chair. "Thank you, Erik. Thank you for everything you did for the children while I was... indisposed." His lip twitched a little at that. "It's a debt I can never repay enough, although I shall endeavor to try."

Erik: Erik reached out himself to put his hand on Charles' lower arm and give it a squeeze. "I'd say there's no need to thank me, but I know that would hardly stop you from doing it anyway. Though I only played my part, and couldn't achieved a fraction of what we did without the help from our colleagues and students."

Erik: "Many of whom wouldn't be here today if it hadn't been for your sacrifice," he continued, a sincere and solemn look on his face. "You don't owe us, Charles. Quite the opposite, my friend."

Xavier: Their eyes met for a moment and Charles gave a nod.

Xavier: "Yes, well, regardless..." Charles straightened himself up in the chair with some effort. "I believe I've slept on the job long enough." He smirked. "How is the academy? I'm told that enrollment declined after the unfortunate fate of our mother campus and as President Tony Stark was able to make more positive strides for mutants the school became... obsolete?"

Erik: Erik chuckled and leaned back in his chair. "I wouldn't say obsolete," he replied. "More like forced to adapt to new circumstances. Largely positive ones, fortunately. Stark has proven himself a valuable ally, to the point where I'm even willing to tolerate his ego."

Erik: "Of course, there's still much to do. Just because we may no longer be hunted down in the streets doesn't mean discrimination of our kind vanished overnight, and I'm afraid there will always be young mutants in need of a new home, and teachers who accept them for who they are."

Erik: "So, there's still much work left for us," Erik continued. "Especially when looking at the world at large."

Xavier: "That he has, and I hope he continues to be one, even after he leaves office." Charles tapped a finger on the arm of the chair, then forced himself to go through one of the strengthening exercises he'd learned. Very soon, he would need full use of his hands again.

Xavier: "In fact, I hope to meet with him soon." Charles nodded in agreement. "Not hunted here, but yes, I hear some other nations are becoming... increasingly alarming."

Xavier: "I am happy the academy continues to help those children, then." He winked. "I will leave them in your capable hands."

Erik: "Thankfully we have a very capable and dedicated staff to help with that," Erik replied, his smile slightly fading as he nodded. "And I'm afraid so. Humanity has always been a volatile powder keg, even before part of the population manifested extraordinary abilities."

Erik: "If mutants aren't hunted for what they are, they're often are targeted for exploitation," Erik explained. "Unsurprisingly, many look upon our gifts and only see their destructive potential."

Xavier: "And that, is why I have decided it's time to be more aggressively proactive." He carefully watched Erik's reaction, wanting his old friend's support. "Stark and Nick Fury have tried, but don't you think the time has come for more direct input from the mutant community?"

Erik: Erik gave his friend a long, contemplative look, before a smirk curled the edge of his mouth. "It's very good to have you back, Charles."

Erik: He sat back in his chair and folded his hands. "So, what have you been dreaming up during your extended nap?"