10/11 Issue: Sleuthing on the Enemy

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

10/11 Issue: Sleuthing on the Enemy

Post by Esynthia »

Timeline: April 12th, 2023

Viper: Viper had taken over a corner of her favourite patisserie and was drinking a cup of coffee while she read through some reports on a tablet. She prefered to work on her holographic screens but they drew far too much attention out in the regular world. At least she had pastries.

Viper: She sighed and rolled her eyes at the latest results from one of the labs. Three fires and an explosion not even related to those fires. Where on earth did Hydra find these people? She was going to have to go down there and have words with them... later. Next...

Jamie: Jamie leaned his head back against the headrest and stretched his arm across to the back of the passenger seat. He sighed and drummed the wheel with the other hand, watching the bakery with a frown. Why were the people he needed to stakeout so interested in coffee shop type places lately? "See, Jeannie? Stake outs are boring."

Jean: Although Jean was currently checking her messages, she hadn't been as horrifically bored as she'd worried she might be. It had to be the company. "It's not so bad," she said, tossing her phone into her purse. She leaned her head back against his hand and gave him a grin.

Jamie: Jamie smirked and flipped his hand over to massage her neck. "I mean, the view is definitely better than usual." He pulled out his zoom glasses and put them on to see if Viper was doing anything new. Button tap. Zoom in. Narrow eyes because font was still too small to read. Button tap. Glasses off. Sigh. Still on lab explosions. Boring.

Viper: Why was she forced to work with idiots? She was done with reports for now. They were making her cranky. Time to check in on the Shaws. Silly Sebastian, thinking she couldn't hack his security. It was too adorable.

Jean: She watched him tinker with the glasses in fascination, eyes half closed at what he was doing to her neck. It was some sort of detective tech, that much she knew. "You have nifty toys."

Jamie: He laughed and put them back on to see what Viper had switched to this time. That looked like security cameras. Hmm. Jamie turned to look at Jean and recoiled at how close she appeared, flailing at the glasses to knock them off. "Yep. I like them a lot."

Jamie: Speaking of toys... Jamie pulled out a small camera and pushed it to full zoom, taking photos of the surveillance she was doing, then zoomed in on the display to read it more closely. Double hmm. "Does this building look familiar to you?"

Viper: Crossing her legs and picking up her coffee, she flicked through the security feeds until she found Jessica playing with Miriam and the guinea pigs. She watched them for a little while as she ate her snack.

Jean: Jean stifled a snort when he flailed. "And they like you, too, obviously." She picked up his glasses and looked them over. Sneaky. She was contemplating putting them on when he showed her the image. "Yeah..." She squinted. "That's where Jess and Sebastian Shaw live..."

Jamie: Jamie looked from the camera to the window of the shop again. Triple hmm. "So, that's not creepy." It was very creepy. "Do you want to do some close-encounter recon?"

Jean: "Not creepy at all." She slipped the glasses on anyway to look at him, but they were ordinary glasses at the moment. Sadface. "...does she know who we are?"

Jamie: "She most definitely knows who I am. She could know you. But it wouldn't be weird for you to be in the same place since you live and work close-ish to here. It would be weird for me, though..."

Jamie: Jamie smirked and reached over to tap the hidden button for the zoom to turn on.

Viper: Watching them was a nice palate cleanser and she smiled as Miriam was mobbed by guinea pigs looking for treats. Okay... back to work. She closed the feeds and put down her tablet, reaching for one of the files she'd brought with her.

Jean: Jean jumped when she suddenly got a really good look at his right eyebrow, then laughed. "Okay, that's fun!"

Jean: She had to lean back to see... well mostly just his eyes, which was normally more than okay. She loved his pretty green eyes. However, probably not the best time, so she scrunched her nose and closed her eyes. "So... I could just go? I can always mindfuck everyone into thinking I'm an old biker dude or something."

Jamie: Jamie laughed and tapped the button again so she could open her eyes. "It wouldn't work on her. At least, not by the research I've done. Though, it would be an interesting experiment..." No, Jamie! Do not put her in danger! Right. Not doing that. Ever. On purpose, anyway.

Jamie: "Just... go get a coffee or something, walk by her table and trip, spill the coffee, and start mopping it up and apologizing profusely. You know the schtick from the movies? It actually works sometimes. Then you can get a closer look at the files she's got on the table that the tablet has been blocking. I need to know if she's still in contact with someone. So... Just look for any specific names."

Jean: Her eyes popped open. "Wouldn't work?" Reaaaally?! Her eyes unfocused as she immediately investigated that green-haired skank's shields. The rest of what he'd said was lost as she encountered... something. It was almost like static.

Jamie: Jamie tilted his head as he watched her. "Jean? Jeannie? Where'd you go?" He waved his hand in front of her face and then slipped the glasses from her. "Earth to Jean Grey..."

Viper: Viper paused in her reading, lifting just her eyes to scan the area. Probably just someone doing a general sweep but you could never be too careful... Thank goodness for shields. She went back to her reading, shifting in her seat to get comfortable again.

Jean: Jean frowned and snapped back to herself. "That's weird. She's got some kind of shielding... but it's not natural. There's no way." She shook herself and gave him a sheepish grin.

Jamie: He visibly relaxed when she didn't become a giant fiery bird. "Well... She was Hydra... So... Yeah." Jamie turned back to face the shop. He had told her that already, right? Totally did... Maybe. Shit.

Viper: She set some papers she didn't need for now to one side then took out a pen to make some notes on the schematics she was looking through. Really, these traps were the least of her worries but the other issue was being worked on in her lab.

Jean: "Well Hydra did a number on her brain." Jean's face crinkled in distaste. "So what did you want me to do?"

Jamie: Jamie's mouth went into a thin line, but he had to laugh. "You didn't hear a word I said, did you?" He pulled out his wallet and gave her some cash, repeating what he wanted her to do. "Oh, look for any kind of code names that might be used for people, too. Time to put that photographic memory to work, babe."

Viper: Sighing heavily, Viper set the first trap down with the base design papers and looked over the next one, turning the page around a few times in an attempt to figure out where in the hell to start. Typical of him to design something needlessly complicated. She needed more coffee. Closing the file, she set it on top of the papers and picked up her tablet to take it with her to the counter.

Jean: "No, not really. I was poking her brain with a stick." She grinned, and blinked at the sudden cash. "Okay. I can do that." Jean smirked. "I'm totally sneaky." She accepted the cash and gave him a fast kiss, then grabbed her purse and fluffed her hair.

Jamie: Jamie smiled at her, "Go get 'em, babe. I'll be watching to make sure you stay safe." Best sidekick ever. Sexiest sidekick ever.

Viper: Viper didn't even need to name her order because they knew what she liked. She paid and moved out of the way to wait for her drink, checking her tablet for any more explosions. Oh for the love of- She rolled her eyes. These people. Someone was getting shot today.

Jean: Jean checked traffic and crossed the street, sliding on her own perfectly boringly normal oversized sunnies. At the same time, she reinforced her own shielding, did a quick telepathic scan of the area and tapped on her link with Jamie to make sure he was - oh, literally watching her ass. Good job! She grinned.

Jean: Once inside the cafe she went up to the barista and rattled off a complex order. Figure that one out, guys!

Jamie: Jamie slipped on his glasses and tapped the button, keeping an eye on Jean at the counter. Viper was too close for his liking right now. Subtle, Jeannie...

Viper: Viper felt another ping on her shielding and rolled her eyes. Telepaths everywhere. She picked up her drink when it arrived and headed back to her seat, reaching to set the tablet down and swap it for the file again.

Jean: I'm subtle! She babbled to the barista a bit more about her imaginary lactose intolerance, snagged a cookie after asking about its gluten content and paid for her order. During her epic search for the perfect cookie, she spotted Viper going back to her out-of-the-way corner seat. Yeah, that spilling coffee thing was not gonna work.

Viper: Oh right. This was why she'd gotten more coffee. Ugh. Why did all of his inventions look all tentacley? It was creepy.... She took out a different coloured pen to mark some sections.

Jamie: Jamie sent his frowning thought to Jean about her thinking she was subtle. She wasn't always. Maybe he shouldn't have sent her in. But Viper did know exactly who he was because of the cult, so his only choice was Jean. Just... Be careful?

Jean: I'm careful! She could feel his lack of faith, and it was amusing. Jean whipped out her phone and started to write him a text while she waited. She sniffed the cinnamon, wandered the small space, and generally made a nuisance of herself while looking to see if there was any way to get close. Green hair. Ugh.

Jamie: Okay, but, like... Don't be obvious, babe. At least she wasn't as fumbling buffoon-like as Johnny had been.

Viper: So much unnecessary wiring... She shook her head, finally finding some sections that looked promising and marking them. She would have to scan this one and investigate a 3D model. Setting that trap to one side she moved to another.

Jean: [Obvious? Me?] She sent the text and when an order was called for 'Elaine,' she collected her triple half-sweet, non-fat, caramel macchiato and picked a seat on the opposite side of the restaurant, with her back to the wall. She took a selfie with the drink and sent that too.

Jamie: Jamie picked up his phone as it buzzed, typing a reply when the photo came through. He grinned. [Yeah you. But youre cute so i guess it's okay ...Elaine.]

Viper: The next trap made her eyebrows raise and then she pulled a face. Acid? Nope! She would go around that one. Through a wall if necessary. It wasn't worth the trouble if she accidentally triggered it. Acid burns were excruciating. She set that trap aside and put the file down to pick up her coffee.

Jean: She smirked at the response and popped the lid off her cup for it to cool. [I cant just wander to her table and ask whats up so i have a plan.] Trust me. She sent him a mental caress and kept an eye on Viper. She was definitely doing something over there. Jean looked away when Viper put down the file. She pretended to watch the sidewalk outside.

Jamie: I do trust you... It was Viper he was worried about. He zoomed back in, shifting his focus from Jean to Viper, watching her facial expressions change with interest. What was she working on?

Viper: She picked up her tablet again for another palate cleanser. Where were they...? Aha. Kitchen. They were baking. Maybe she'd drop by later for a sample.

Jean: This might feel kind of weird in the link. Dunno, never done it with anyone else before. Nobody else in the place was paying her any attention. In fact, her little show meant she was being pointedly ignored. Score. Jean's eyes unfocused. This always took a hot minute, and it was one of her newer party tricks.

Jamie: Jamie's eyes unfocused, too and he had to take the glasses off to rub at them and try to clear the fuzzy feeling in his head. What in the hell? At least it wasn't the damn bird.

Jean: She could feel his befuddlement and spared a bit of reassurance before she separated from her body, standing up in the astral plane. Unlike the time Xavier had yoinked her there, this time she was in control so other than the odd ripples of psychic energy from the other occupants of the cafe things looked much the same as they did in the real world.

Jean: Jean turned and observed her body, still staring out the window. To anyone else, it looked like she'd just zoned out. She tightened her shields and started for Viper's table.

Viper: Viper watched Jessica and Miriam while she sipped at her coffee. Jessica had made chef's hats for both Miriam and the funny little robot child.

Jamie: Jamie had to lean his head back and close his eyes as he started to feel a bit woozy. Which made him feel agitated because he couldn't keep an eye on her. He smacked the steering wheel to have the dupe keep an eye on her, but it felt woozy too, so he sucked him back in with a sigh. Please hurry and be safe...

Jean: Are you okay? She could tell this was a rough ride for him. And holy shit there were two for a moment there. Jean was at the table now and since she wasn't bound by the rules of the real world she sank into the wall right behind Viper to see what was on that tablet. Her mouth dropped open. Jess! Jess and Miriam! ...making cookies? WTF.

Jamie: Kinda wobbly. This is weird... He frowned at her shock. "What?!" Oh, wait. What?! What's wrong?

Jean: Nothing! Well, not with me! She's watching Jess! Creeper! Jean echoed that frown, trying to move past the big brother act to the papers on the table. Do you want me to block the link?

Viper: Finishing her coffee, Viper leaned to set her cup down and put the tablet to one side again in favour of the file.

Jamie: No. I can still keep up with what you're feeling this way, at least...

Jamie: Watching Jess? He forced an eye open and brought up Jess' number to text her. [Whatcha doooin?]

Jean: Okay, sorry. I'll hurry. Also she didn't want to leave her body unattended for too long. Jean skimmed the file in Viper's hand. Hive. What's that? She moved around the table to look at some of the schematics.

Jamie: [Oooh cookiiiieeees. Yeah dude!] She says she's baking cookies with MIriam. Was that what's on the screen? Maybe it was some weird home movie or something that she had recorded a long time ago from the school? To make her feel like a normal person?

Jean: Yup, cookies. They're wearing little origami chef hats and so is that robot thing. Jean wondered about that. So he was in touch with Jess? Aaaawkward.

Jamie: She offered me some. That's totally our next stop, babe. Fresh cookies are awesome. Jamie closed his eyes again and tried to think about what 'hive' could mean. Hive, like... hive-mind hive? Or like bee hive? Or maybe hives like the rash?

Viper: Having a sudden stroke of inspiration, Viper reached for the tentacley trap and made a few more quick notes on it before going back to the next trap.

Jean: Hive like a person? Or maybe it's another terrorist group? They all have stupid names. Hydra. Hive. Whatevs. Jean was lowkey freaking out about seeing Jess after this, with Jamie in tow. Then she spotted what Viper was working on. Tentacles? Ew!

Jamie: Okay, Jean. If that's all she's working on, then get outta there. It's not what I need anyway. Damn. Though, it could be a good thing that there wasn't anything that could connect to the dude he was looking for. Meant he was long gone, hopefully. Which was what he wanted to know, anyway.

Jean: It's like she's trying to figure out how to disarm traps. This Hive thing's traps. She focused on the documents, working to actively commit them to memory just in case.

Jamie: Jean... C'mon... Hive thing traps were a problem for another day. Jamie opened an eye to try and see if Jean had even moved yet, but frowned when she was still staring out the window.

Jean: Jean felt him getting antsy and moved back around the table. She'd been careful to stay out of the woman's personal bubble, and backtracked the same route to return to her body. She snapped back into focus and drew a deep breath, then checked her coffee. It had barely cooled. Coming.

Jamie: Jamie felt the woozy subside and opened his eyes cautiously. Great! Bring me a cocoa?

Jean: She gathered herself and her stuff and placed his much easier order. Jean was still keeping an eye on that corner. Ugh. Tentacles.