10/29 Issue: Never Sass the President

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

10/29 Issue: Never Sass the President

Post by Esynthia »

Timeline: Wednesday April 19th, 2023 – After Issues: To Me My X-Men and Bedtime Bonding

Tony: Bored, Tony Stark spun the chair from his contemplation of the White House grounds to instead stare at his oak desk. "Y'know why this thing is called the Resolute desk?" Tony's eyes flicked from the scarred wood to the other occupant of his office.

Rogue: Rogue glanced over at Tony, interrupting her admiration of the craftwork on the ceiling from where she lay on the couch, then looked at the desk and sat up. She wasn't sure if it was going to be actual trivia or a joke, but either way, she could use something to take her mind off of what they were waiting on. "No, cain't say as Ah do."

Tony: "Damn. Me neither." Tony gave her a bright grin and rolled his chair closer to the desk. "I was hoping you could give me a lesson."

Rogue: Rogue laughed and got up to walk over and perch next to him on said desk. "We could make up a reason. Liiike... It's called th' Resolute desk 'cause it resolutely refuses t' be used by anyone other than th' President?"

Tony: "I always assumed it was because of the solemn decisions made by presidents in this very seat." He looked up at her with a smirk and slid his hand up her leg.

Rogue: "Well that just makes too much sense, Tony," she grinned. Rogue ran her gloved fingertips over the back of his hand and met his eyes with a smirk. "When was she supposed t' get here?"

Tony: "You're right, it does make too much sense. Did ya know it's actually named after a ship?" His smirk spread into a grin that wrinkled the corners of his eyes. "Whenever the Secret Service is done poking her."

Rogue: Rogue scootched over to be directly in front of him, putting her feet on the edge of the chair on either side of his legs. "A ship? S'at right? Well at least it wasn't made from th' ship. Would hate t' hafta scrape barnacles off it."

Tony: "It was made from the ship!" Tony beamed up at her and took the opportunity to run his hands up both thighs, leaning back to enjoy the view. "Your very shapely rear end is parked on what remains of the HMS Resolute, commissioned by Queen Victoria and given to President Hayes in 1880."

Rogue: "Is that right?" Rogue looked at the desk below her and leaned back on her hands. "Ah thought y' said y' didn't know where th' name came from." She smirked, "But since it was a ship, even though it was prob'ly properly christened, we could always christen it ourselves t' mark th' start o' our maiden voyage."

Tony: "Did I? I don't remember that." He cocked his head, grin still in place, and slowly stood up, leaning in dangerously close to her bare face. "But that sounds like a plan for the afternoon." His hands went from her thighs to her hips and waist.

Rogue: Rogue's lip went between her teeth and she made sure to stay very still while he was so close, "Y' did." She smiled into his eyes and pulled her bracelet from the inside pocket of her jacket and slid her arms around his neck so she could snap it in place. "Mah replacement does seem t' be takin' her time gettin' prodded by th' suits..."

Tony: "She does at that... of course she may as well get used to being fashionably late." He heard the click of the bracelet's engagement and leaned in for a kiss.

Heather: It had taken way too long and been way too complicated trying to navigate the halls of the White House. They were not built for seven foot tall Australians with wings. She had finally been deposited at a door and she supposed now she should knock... so she did.

Rogue: Rogue's lips had just met Tony's and she was just about to relax into him when she heard the knock. "Should we make her wait? That's prob'ly mean, right?"

Tony: "I mean, we should begin as we mean to continue, right?" He continued to shower her with light kisses.

Rogue: She sighed happily and slid forward to press her chest to his. "We've already begun one thing," she murmured against his lips.

Tony: "We have. What an astute observation." He broke the kiss and looked at the door, then her.

Heather: Was she in the right place? Were they pranking her? Was this some sort of horrible bodyguard hazing?

Rogue: Rogue blinked up at him coquettishly. "Y' don't really need t' hire somebody else, right?" She ducked her head to whisper kisses along his neck, just under his ear. "Ah c'n still be y'r bodyguard an' y'r girlfriend. Right?"

Heather: Heather decided to knock on the door again, "President Stark?"

Tony: Tony opened his mouth. "Well, while I think so... the press secretary seems to think otherwise, especially after I announced the X-Men..."

Rogue: "What's wrong with that?" She gave him a pretty pout, hoping he ignored the voice outside the door.

Tony: "There was a lot of yelling, and I remember conflicts of interest and visuals and lots of other, uh, buzzwords." He cocked his head, gave her a kiss and stood up straight. "Sorry, it's ...it's open!"

Rogue: Rogue sighed and slid off the desk after he stood, unclasping her bracelet so she could fly to stand in front of the desk, waiting for the door to open.

Heather: Oh good. The President wasn't already dead on her first day. Good start! She opened the door and carefully crossed the threshold before straightening up to her full height. "Lifeguard, reporting for duty," Heather gave him and Rogue a smile.

Rogue: "Hey, sugah. Good t' see ya." She didn't want to be replaced, but if she had to be, she was going to damn well be sure it was someone just as good as her.

Tony: "Lifeguard!" Tony came around the desk to greet the very tall and gold woman. "Another woman with one name." He smirked over at Rogue. "Although, I have an option with you, Miss Cameron."

Rogue: "Y' have plenty o' options with me," she smirked.

Heather: Heather nodded, "Yes, I do have a non-codename name," she stuck out her hand for a shake, belatedly remembering the clawed fingers, "You don't have to shake if you don't want to.... fistbump?"

Tony: Tony laughed and fist bumped her. "It's a pleasure to meet you. You do come highly recommended." He stepped back to the desk to lean beside Rogue and slid his arm around her waist.

Rogue: Rogue cut her eyes up to Tony, grinning and leaning into him a bit. "Ah figured if Ah weren't 'llowed t' continue, it should be someone who could maybe even do better'n me at keepin' this one alive. He's a pistol, though. Gotta stay on y'r toes."

Tony: "I don't know that she does. She's tall enough."

Heather: "Well, I hope I can live up to all that hype..." Heather laughed nervously and looked down at her bare feet, "I think I can manage... I have a little brother back home..."

Rogue: "Oh shush, crazy." She kissed his shoulder and looked back at Heather. "How fast do y' fly? Top speed, not normal speed."

Tony: "How little, because now I'm fascinated..."

Heather: "Um... it's kind of variable... depends how fast I need to fly... but if I don't have additional powers active it's around mach one I think."

Tony: Tony really was fascinated, watching them talk about these powers. Huh... Hope had an X gene, and it had to come from somewhere... His eyebrows went up. Naaaah.

Rogue: Rogue's nose twitched. Not faster than a bullet, but if the response time was right... She reached around Tony and grabbed a crystal paperweight from his desk. Rogue threw it at her top speed at Heather without preamble. "Catch."

Heather: "Gah!" Heather closed her wings around herself but a power manifested before the paperweight hit and stopped it mid air. "Not okay!"

Rogue: "Better'n okay." She pushed away from Tony to grab the paperweight and went to lean against him again. "What villains have y' had experience with? Evil, psychotic, powered, or otherwise."

Heather: "There's a comprehensive list in my file but... enough. I've also had experience in dealing with natural disasters, before and since joining SHIELD."

Tony: "You ladies realize I do have the Secret Service, too, right?"

Rogue: "Baby," Rogue turned to him, "Shaw suggested me t' you b'cause Ah know how t' handle Essex. Ah'm th' person who was there at his last known whereabouts an' Ah c'n stop him fr'm killin' you. Th' Secret Service can't."

Tony: "Oh, I know. Sebastian loves me." Tony grinned. "I'm... not entirely defenseless though."

Heather: "But I can," Heather assured them, "I'm more than suited to the task of bodyguard. I can detect danger and manifest whatever ability is needed to deal with the threat. It has been known to wake me up."

Rogue: "It wakes y' up?" That was good news. "Impressive." Rogue rolled her eyes at Tony, "He loves you, tolerates me, but still thought Ah was th' best person f'r th' job." She stepped away from him again and cocked her head as she looked at him. "Heather, what's th' worst thing y've protected anyone from?"

Heather: Heather thought back over her time. One event still stood out to her and she wasn't sure if if was because it was technically the worst or because emotionally it was the worst. "A mudslide after an earthquake in Nepal before I joined SHIELD. I went as part of a relief team with Colonel Danvers and some fellow students. There were more slides while we were there."

Rogue: "What 'bout a direct attack on a human life?" Her eyes slowly wandered around Tony's body, ascertaining how upset he would be if she attacked him and if the how and where would make a difference of his level of anger.

Tony: Tony took notice of Rogue looking him over, and it wasn't with appreciation. She was sizing him up. He stiffened.

Rogue: Rogue's eyes flicked up to Tony's when she saw the slight change in his posture and she hoped he knew she knew what she was doing.

Heather: "My mutation doesn't discriminate between protecting mutant or human lives."

Rogue: "That ain't what Ah meant. None o' us do that."

Heather: "My powers will respond the same way whether they're protecting me, a family member, the President or some random off the street. I don't know how much more clear I can be..."

Tony: Was she about to do something crazy? Tony was a pretty good judge of crazy, and his new girlfriend had that look right now. He narrowed his eyes at her.

Rogue: Rogue's eyes went to Heather, then back to Tony. She palmed the weight and licked her lips, hoping he trusted her. Rogue threw the weight at Heather at top speed and instantly dive-bombed at Tony.

Heather: Heather barely thought about what she was doing, reacting on pure instinct. She folded one wing around herself to take the impact of the weight and spread the other between Rogue and Tony as her skin and feathers became metallic.

Tony: "Gah!" Startled, Tony's training kicked in and he flipped his wrist, the repulsor clicking into place and firing off before he could stop himself.

Rogue: Rogue hit Heather's wing and bounced off with a smirk on her face. "Nice." She floated up to look down at Tony from over the top of the wing, "Y' okay? Y' hate me?"

Heather: Heather frowned from behind her wing at Rogue and lowered her wings, her skin and feathers returning to normal once the danger had passed.

Tony: Tony saw that hit her wing. He went to investigate and picked it up to prod the feathers. "I'm fine."

Heather: Heather sighed and extended the wing so Tony could poke at it. People always wanted to do that.

Rogue: Rogue flew over to sit on the couch, watching him try to figure out where the beam had gone. "So even though Ah wouldn'ta done any harm t' Tony, y'r powers reacted like Ah would. Or did you think Ah really would?"

Tony: He was absolutely going to poke. When his repulsor retracted back up his sleeve he started preening her to check for singed feathers.

Tony: Three agents nearly fell through the door, guns drawn, and Tony straightened up to wave. "It's fine! We're fine! It's all fine here..."

Heather: Woah! Heather spread her other wing in alarm and took out the other sofa. But at least the President was covered.

Rogue: Rogue waved at the suits. "Just testin' th' new recruit t' see what she c'n do." She stood and sauntered over to them, putting on her sweetest smile and thickest drawl as she walked them backwards out the door, "Y' want me t' make sure th' President stays as safe as possible, don'tcha?"

Tony: "Yup! Stand down," he called, giving Heather a perplexed look. "That's... something."

Heather: "Situational biomorphic adaptation," Heather parroted the term SHIELD had used for it.

Rogue: Rogue shut the door softly behind them and locked it with a click. She turned and leaned against it, crossing her arms under her chest as she watched Tony poke at his new toy. "Ah'm okay with 'er if you are, Tony."

Tony: "Situational biomorphic adaptation..." Tony weighed this term and cocked his head back and forth in consideration. "I like it." He grinned. "You're hired!"

Heather: "Hooray! Does this mean you're going to stop throwing things at me now?" She swung her gaze to Rogue as she folded her wings back.

Rogue: One shoulder shrugged, "Depends on if y' piss me off'r not at a future date. But f'r now... Yeah." She walked over and stuck out her hand for a shake. "Welcome t' Team Stark, Heather Cameron. Y're an' alright replacement f'r me."

Tony: "I might have to throw some things at you, from time to time... just for... science."

Heather: Heather was mid handshake when she turned her head to look at Tony, "Is that in my contract?"

Rogue: "Now it will be. Y' gotta learn how t' handle him, Heather..."

Heather: "At least you'll be on hand for tips, right?" She gave Rogue a shit eating grin.

Tony: "I'm standing right here ladies. Leader of the free world." He spread his arms, realizing then that the cuff of his dress shirt was singed by his repulsor. "Damn."

Rogue: "That entirely depends on if he breaks up with me f'r flyin' mach speed at him." Rogue frowned at Tony, noticing he was examining his wrist. "What's wrong? Are y' actually hurt?"

Tony: "No!" He winced and shook his wrist, then gave her a half grin. "No," he said at a more normal tone. "Just... need to make some adjustments."

Heather: "Are you going to test untested tech on me too?" This was going to be just like working for SHIELD.

Tony: "It's tested! I've just never had to use it... in practical application." He frowned.

Rogue: Rogue stopped short at his yell and held her hands up in a surrendering gesture, then moved to sit on the couch. "Y're welcome then?"

Heather: "Maybe you tested that one but that doesn't mean there won't be future others... I'm used to it, I just like being warned first."

Tony: "I'll, uh, remember that..." He glanced over at Rogue and then back at Heather. "Could you maybe, just excuse us? For a minute?" He held up a hand and went over to the couch to sit down. "I'm not mad."

Heather: Heather decided to right the other sofa and pick up the bits of paperweight.

Rogue: "Thank y' f'r tellin' me. Ah'm sorry Ah scared y'." She reached out slowly to brush her gloved thumb over his cheek.

Tony: Tony smiled a little and flipped over his hand, activating but this time not firing the small repulsor concealed in his watch. "Singed my shirt."

Rogue: Rogue smirked and reached over to rub at the singed spot gently. "Guess Ah c'n do what Ah want with this one when y' get done workin' t'day." Her hand fell to his thigh and she looked up at him, "Don't f'rget 'bout me now that y' have a new bodyguard, 'kay?"

Tony: He tried to decipher the obscure feminine logic at work here, and managed enough to slowly shake his head. "You're pretty unforgettable, so I think we're good."

Heather: Heather dropped the pieces of paperweight into the trashcan and cast her gaze around for more bits she'd missed.

Rogue: "Well now y're just butterin' me up. But thanks." She kissed her gloved fingers and touched them to his lips. "Go play with y'r new fascination. An' be careful with y'r hidden toys. That singed shirt 'coulda been y'r flesh."

Heather: Bare feet were good at finding sharp things... like lego. She wandered around to see if she could find stray pieces.

Tony: "I'll be fiiiiine." He ramped up his grin and grabbed her hand to kiss her gloved fingers, then jumped up to investigate this walking Emmy award.

Heather: Her feet didn't find more pieces so maybe she got them all or they were under furniture. She wasn't built for looking under furniture.

Rogue: "Ah have one more question," she piped up from the couch, "how close do y' hafta be f'r it t' work? Like same room? Next room over? What's th' distance?"

Heather: "That is... really hard to accurately test," Heather sighed, "But we think it's at least a couple of hundred metres."

Rogue: "So y' wouldn't hafta sleep in th' same room with him on trips an' whatnot? That's good." She grinned at Tony, "More room f'r me."

Tony: "Plus... I'd have you. Even if you're not on the books as a bodyguard, I trust you have an interest in guarding this body, right?" Tony spun to give her a grin.

Rogue: "Always, hot stuff." She felt her cheeks flush, but didn't care. Heather would have to get used to them being like this.

Heather: "I can be across the hall and still close enough to detect any danger." What would be tricky would be sticking next to Tony if they were around danger to other people.

Rogue: "Detect an' react in time?"

Heather: Heather nodded, "Done it before."

Rogue: "Ah'm sold then. F'r now." She laid down on the couch after toeing off her shoes and stretched from her head to her toes. "Any questions f'r me 'fore y' sign on th' dotted line? Or f'r y'r new boss?"

Heather: Heather shook her head, "I've been briefed on what I need to know... the rest I think I can pick up as I go, right?" She looked between them, "Anything you think I should know that they might not have mentioned?"

Rogue: Rogue looked at Tony and shrugged. "Ah'll give y' a briefin' on Essex later. Other than that... Not really. Tony?"

Tony: "She is far more demanding than me," he said with a sage nod at Rogue. "Almost unreasonable... sometimes." Tony cast her a smirk.

Rogue: "Y' like me that way." Rogue spun her inhibitor bracelet on her finger as she watched him.

Tony: "That I do." He turned his grin back to Heather. "I like 'em sassy."

Heather: Note to self: NEVER sass the President.