11/4 Special Issue: To Me, My X-Men

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

11/4 Special Issue: To Me, My X-Men

Post by Slarti »

Timelined Monday, April 17, 2023

Carol: Carol picked a bit of lint off her skirt as she waited for everyone else to arrive. Of course Tony was going to be late because that was his thing but she really hoped everyone else could be on time. She folded her arms and looked around, automatically looking for signs of trouble out of habit. This was going to be one long ass morning. She had not had enough coffee.

Bobby: Bobby wasn't crazy about his SHIELD uniform, but he'd forgotten how much more the X-Men uniforms could suck. They were never, ever gonna get the collar right on these things, were they? He found Carol quickly and took in her uniform. "Should I salute?"

Carol: "You join the military recently?" Carol asked him, straightening up to go greet him with a hug. "Look at you in your new fancy pants, Frosty Knickers."

Bobby: "The question is if I can keep 'em on, right?" Bobby returned the hug and grinned, looking around the cordoned-off staging area near the White House Rose Garden. "Can't say I saw this coming."

Carol: "Let's hope no one else did either so we can get all the bad guys when they're still in shock."

Jamie: Jamie pursed his lips and twirled his phone between his hands while he sat in the chairs on the lawn of the garden, listening to the reporters around him talk. He just wanted to see Jeannie up on the stage looking snazzy. And hot. His ears picked up the voice of a man a row in front of him who was grumbling about superheroes and how they weren't needed. He's going to be fun to poke at later.

Cessily: "Hey guys!" Cessily beamed a grin and waved as at the others as she fell into a little jog. "Am I late? I hope I'm not late. Though I caused a little hold up at the security check point." She gave a nervous little lough. "Not sure what they were expecting though."

Carol: Carol froze at the voice, her smile taking on a slightly crazed edge.

Bobby: "Cessie!" He tackled her for a hug and laughed. "I thought about freezing it, but naaaaah."

Cessily: "Hey, Carol!" Cessily put on a shy little smile and raised her hand to wave. "You're looking good." She burst into a laugh when Bobby scooped her off her feet and pulled her into a hug.

Beth: It had been totally tempting to brain-whammy the security and skip merrily through the halls but Beth managed to behave herself. She fixed her purple hair and poked her head into the little room she'd been directed to, "I'm in the right place, yeah?"

Carol: Carol raised a hand to wave at Cess, stepping back when Bobby picked her up, "You too...."

Cessily: "I refrained from telling them there's little point in patting me down to make sure I'm not smuggling anything illegal in, or they might have insisted on pushing me through a sieve."

Jean: She followed closely behind Beth, flipping her own hair over her shoulder and taking in the occupants. Hey! It was the other interchangeable redhead!

Bobby: "One of us shoulda just wore you in like a hat." Bobby let Cess go and noticed the telepath duo.

Cessily: Cessily giggled, before following Bobby's gaze. "Beth! Jean!" She bolted over, already stretching her arms to pull both girls into a tentacley embrace. "Gosh, I missed you all so much!"

Jean: Jean giggled and returned the hug. "Cess! It's good to see you! Ginger unity!"

Beth: Beth flailed a little... okay a lot. "Noodle tentacle bad touch!"

Carol: Carol was feeling awkward. Why had no one told her Cess was going to be here? She chewed on her lip and tried not to let the internal flailing show.

Rogue: Rogue bounced on her toes while Tony and Xavier were talking, continually looking over her shoulder at the door that led to the hall that led to the staging area. She waned to see her people. But she didn't have a replacement at the moment and she was enjoying the looks Tony was giving her because of her X-Uniform.

Bobby: He slipped away from the others and glanced around the barrier at the assembled press and others on the lawn, spotting Hank and Erik on the front row, as well as a few other former students and staff in the crowd.

Cessily: "Sorry, I'm just so excited to see all of you again," Cessily said as she let go of the others, casting a look over her shoulder to give Carol a small smile. "I still can't believe we got invited here."

Beth: "It's pretty awesome," Beth agreed. "I was super distracted on the way here." So many shiny things!

Jean: "Yeah... government sanctioned really meant government sanctioned, I guess!" Jean could sense Jamie in the audience, bored. She sent him a mental hug.

Carol: Carol managed a small smile back at Cess as her eyes tracked Bobby. Screw more coffee. She needed scotch.

Jamie: Jamie perked up when he felt Jean and he grinned, sending her a mental kiss. I bet you look super hot, babe.

Cessily: "Yeah, I'm glad I let Bobby and the Professor talk me into it," Cessily replied. "I think it'll be great to be able to do good without feeling like a criminal all the time."

Carol: Bobby. Carol's eyes narrowed at the back of his head. So tempting to finger-gun... oh whoops. She did it.

Bobby: "Motherfu-" realizing where he was, Bobby managed to cut it off and spin around.

Carol: Carol raised an eyebrow at him as she blew across the end of her finger-gun and holstered it. Deserved.

Jamie: The crowd's getting restless. Any sign of it starting soon? And by crowd, he meant him. He was getting restless.

Jean: "Beth and Jamie convinced me to check it out... I think I'm glad I'm giving it a chance." She checked her cleavage and adjusted her uniform's zipper. Of course I do. She sent a mental shrug in response. I see no flashy president yet...

Jamie: Hmph. He pressed the button on his digital recorder and slipped it closer to the grumpy guy to record all of his complaints. Could be great for snark practice later.

Beth: "I convinced her it was going to be awesome! Also I need another telepath to prank people with...."

Cessily: "I hope I'm looking good," Cessily said, mostly to herself, making some last-minute adjustments to her appearance. "I spent so much time in front of the mirror I think I forgot how to shapeshift, and dad said he's going to record the press conference."

Carol: "You always look good, Cess..." It was out of her mouth before she realised she was talking. D'Oh!

Cessily: "Aw, thanks!" Cessily gave Carol another smile, bigger and more cheerful this time. After a moment of hesitation, she leaned over to gave the uniformed woman a quick hug. "Nice to see you again."

Bobby: He watched Cess and Carol hug with a smirk.

Carol: It was? She prompted herself to return the hug, "You too..." she gave Cess a small smile. "No one told me you were going to be here... little surprised..."

Rogue: Rogue looked at the clock and back at Tony and Xavier, then at the clock again. Okay, late enough. "Tony?" She nodded toward the door with her head. "Don't want 'em t' walk out."

Cessily: "Really?" Cessily sounded genuinely surprised. "I figured there'd be like an official list or something." She smiled again and shrugged. "Maybe someone mixed something up and forgot to put my name on it."

Carol: "If there was a list the BAMFs probably ate it...."

Tony: "Walk out? Why would they walk out? I'm the main attraction! Does the crowd leave before Clapton comes on stage? No." Tony gave her a bright grin and turned it to Xavier, then spun on his heel and started for the door as if it'd been his plan all along.

Rogue: Rogue smirked at his antics and resisted swatting him on the behind as he moved past her, but did spare a small squeeze of Xavier's hand as he also walked past her. She felt awesome today. This was going to be one of the best days of her life, she just knew it.

Beth: Beth was bored. When Beth got bored, she poked brains to see what fell out. There was some weird shit in the brain soup of the audience.

Jamie: Jamie flailed at the random poking. Not Jean! Not good! JEAAAN!

Beth: Ooof that was a loud mental flail. But funny. She prodded that one again.

Jamie: Jamie glowered at nothing and flicked the prying person mentally.

Jean: She jumped a little and then looked at Beth. "Stop poking my boyfriend!"

Cessily: "Oh dear, we still didn't get a handle of those little buggers?" Cessily laughed, turning to look towards the door when things got moving.

Beth: She giggled, "I can't help myself! And he's so flaily!"

Carol: Carol sighed, shaking her head, "They made themselves at home while the place was empty.... We're working on it."

Tony: Tony swept through the room with the uniform-clad X-Men, Carol, and male Elsa. “Come on, guys,” he said, ignoring his press secretary who was offering last minute instructions. “Let's go make history!”

Jean: She gave Beth a mental shove, although she was laughing too. "Nope! He's mine, beotch!" Only she got to poke his brains!

Rogue: Rogue flew into the room after Tony and Xavier and tackled Bobby into a quick hug before she went back to Tony's side.

Beth: Beth responded with a not so mental grope to Jean's ass. "So not the point." Oh look, the president was here now. Serious face.

Cessily: "Looks like it's showtime," Cessily stated, putting on the most encouraging smile she could muster. "Can't remember the last time I've felt this nervous."

Rogue: "Don't be nervous, gal! It's gonna be great!" She flashed Cess a bright smile, "Hey, by th' way."

Carol: Carol gave Cess a pat on the shoulder, "At least you don't have to look like you can lead this collection of crazy people." She straightened her uniform jacket, checked her skirt for more lint, and followed Tony.

Bobby: He recovered from the hug attack and started to fall into step with the group, and beside Cess. "It's showtime!" he whispered, channeling Beetlejuice.

Beth: Beth might have giggle-snorted.

Rogue: Rogue stopped them at the edge of the curtain and gave Tony a once over, adjusting his tie and giving him a smile. Then she swept it back far enough for him to be able to walk through without hindrance.

Cessily: "I'll gladly leave that part to you," Cessily told Carol, before giving Rogue and wave and a grin.

Tony: Tony cut off the introduction from the podium as he stepped out onto the stage. “Thank you, I think I can take it from here...”

Jamie: He sat up a bit straighter as it looked like something was happening and took his recorder back to actually put it to its purpose. Hoooot. He didn't hide his leer as he saw Jean step on stage with the rest. Can't wait to strip you out of that, Wren.

Carol: Carol stopped just behind and to one side of Tony as the others filed out behind her. Standing to attention and scanning the crowd.

Rogue: Rogue gave Carol a grin and reached behind Tony's back to take her hand for a tiny squeeze. "Y' look great, sugah," she whispered.

Jean: She was blushing. Fuck. Jean met Jamie's eyes once, then couldn't do it again, because he was distracting! Behave!

Cessily: Not knowing what to do, Cessily simply put on a bright smile and waved when the cameras starting clicking and flashing, taking spot next to the others.

Tony: “Good morning!” Tony shuffled a few papers on the podium, intending to completely ignore his staff notes. “It's good to, ah, see you, today.” He grinned at Jameson, who scowled back, then at a few other select members of the corps.

Carol: Her eyes flicked to Rogue and she gave her hand a squeeze in thanks for the compliment.

Beth: Woohoo! Purple hair for TV! Beth beamed. Her mom was going to be livid!

Jamie: Behave. Ha! He brought his phone up with it's special zoom attachment and took pictures of Jean in various places. Yes, ma'am. Oooh. Yep, that one's going in the 'Jamie's eyes only' folder.

Cessily: Cessily tilted her head towards Beth. "I really like your new hair," she whispered.

Tony: “And what a beautiful day it is,” he said, raising a hand to take in the blooming trees and flowers of the garden. “A beautiful spring day, full of new beginnings, birds and bees and... all that cheesy stuff.”

Beth: "Mother's going to hate it." Beth muttered back.

Rogue: Rogue mentally rolled her eyes at Tony. Cheesy stuff. She bit the inside of her lip to keep herself from laughing out loud.

Carol: Carol had had a lot of practise at keeping her face blank at really boring ceremonies so she could manage not to laugh at Tony and only half listen while continuing to watch the crowd.

Tony: “But seriously. Everyone loves new beginnings. Second chances?” Tony grinned. “So, we are here today to talk about mutants.”

Tony: “And if there is one ever-growing minority group in the U.S. today – in the world today – more deserving of the new beginnings offered by my administration, I don't know what it could be.”

Rogue: Rogue quickly settled back into her job as bodyguard, scanning every face in the crowd and beyond. She hesitated on a man in the middle of the audience with brown hair and green eyes and a salacious grin. She arched an eyebrow and looked over her shoulder to who he was taking pictures of. Jean. Then back to the man. He looked so familiar, but she couldn't place it.

Tony: “My administration has turned us back from the path of war with our mutant brothers and sisters – and daughters,” he added with a wink. Too bad the press never laughed. “We have dismantled the dangerous policies of my predecessor and opened the door for peace in our time.”

Jean: She gave him a few moments to take his pictures, even inching her zipper down juuuust a bit for him. Then she moved behind Cess.

Jamie: His grin grew and he kept snapping until he couldn't find her on his screen anymore. Jamie frowned at his phone and looked up at the stage. Spoil sport.

Rogue: Rogue flicked her eyes to Carol, nodding at the man she saw, hoping she understood what she meant. If Rogue couldn't place him and Carol couldn't place him, he might be a threat. But if Carol knew him, Rogue could continue her sweeps.

Cessily: Cessily glanced over her shoulder at Jean and chuckled, before looking at Jamie in the audience to give his camera a wave.

Bobby: Tony never shut up, did he? Just announce it, and let's go. He had to pick up Ripley back in Boston this afternoon.

Jamie: Jamie grinned at Cess and started taking pictures of her, instead. Redhead was redhead. He poked his tongue out mentally at Jean.

Carol: Carol's eyes found Jamie and she muttered his name to Rogue. He was harmless.

Cessily: Tilting her head to let her long red ponytail drop down over her shoulder, Cessily put her hands on her hips to strike a little pose for the cameras.

Jean: She returned the gesture. "I guess we're still the same person," she whispered to Cess, hiding her smile as she adjusted her uniform again and moved back out beside her.

Tony: “Today, we're gonna kick down that door - crank that metaphorical dial up to eleven.” He reached for Xavier and clapped the man on the shoulder. “Today, we are welcoming the X-Men into the fold as a sanctioned superhero team, with the full support of the U.S. government.”

Rogue: Rogue nodded and kept scanning the crowd while she continually searched mentally for why he was familiar to her.

Tony: That got their attention and he smirked at the long moment of silence, followed by the starbursts of flashbulbs and barrage of questions. Jameson was yelling now, but so were a few other members of the press corps.

Jamie: Jamie grinned at the hubbub around him. This was great!

Bobby: He shifted his weight. "Well, that went well..."

Beth: Yes, yes, photograph the purple hair. Admire the purple hair!

Cessily: Cessily snickered and leaned towards Jean. "I mean, there's basically no way to tell us apart."

Rogue: Rogue cut her eyes to Tony and gave him a grin. Today was a damn good day.

Carol: Uuuugh photographs. There was no keeping this from her family.

Tony: “I know, I know,” Tony said, raising both hands to call for quiet from the press. It didn't work. His nose twitched and he gave them another few seconds. “Guys! I'm talking here!”

Tony: With just a few grumbles, the corps settled. “Some of you are going to question this, and details will be forthcoming. The world can be a dangerous place, but by working together, instead of against one another, the human race as a whole can survive and thrive.”

Rogue: Rogue stepped forward and flew down to stand in front of the stage just to the left of the podium to keep anyone from rushing him, just in case.

Carol: Carol was prepared to assist Rogue if it came to that but it probably wouldn't. They were probably too scared of the mutants on the stage to get off their asses.

Tony: "And now, a few words from Professor Charles Xavier, who I am now happy to call a personal friend." He stepped to the side, glancing down at Rogue. "The professor has dedicated his life to finding and helping young mutants, including many of our current agents of SHIELD and the SWORD response team."

Cessily: Cessily wasn't sure if they were supposed to applaud, but did so anyway when the professor walked up to the podium.

Beth: Beth kept a wary brain-tentacle on the crowd but eyed Xavier as he stepped forward. So here he was in the flesh.

Xavier: Charles gave Tony a warm smile and stepped to the podium, "Thank you, President Stark." He turned his gaze forward and took in all of the faces filled with various emotions. "I am well aware of the animosity many here feel over this new team that the President has formed. But, I wish to be the first to placate you all."

Xavier: "As students, my X-Men were able to find a balance between their studies and their teams, but it wasn't enough. Sometimes, they slipped. I tell you this because I wish to be forthright. I will not be starting my beloved University again. There is no place for children in the world the X-Men have to step into in order to protect both humans and mutants alike." He surveyed the crowd and waited for them to die down before continuing.

Xavier: "There is, however, a place for my former students. Mutants who were born with special abilities that allow them to inhabit the roles given to them as students. They are trained like no others I know and will be ever-vigilant in the protection so deserved by all."

Jean: The press seemed... like a mixed bag of reactions. Not shocking, she supposed.

Bobby: He snerked silently to himself. Oh yeah, they slipped a few times alright. His eyes slid to Anna.

Rogue: Rogue tensed a bit at some of Xavier's words and couldn't help the glance over her shoulder.

Carol: Oh great. More crazy former students. Her eyes flicked to Xavier then Rogue and she internally sighed.

Cessily: Cessily bounced a little on her feet, wearing a confident smile. With all the crazy stuff that had been thrown at them in the past, she thought they had done a pretty good job, all things considered.

Jean: The press buying this? Can you tell from out there? Jean was reading the general emotions of the crowd, but was staying out of heads.

Beth: Beth was not staying out of heads because she couldn't help herself.

Xavier: "With all of that said, I would like to introduce to you the portion of the team who were able to make it today." Charles looked to his right and motioned at Carol, "Colonel Carol Danvers," down to Rogue, "Rogue, currently President Stark's personal bodyguard," then he gestured back at his former students and smiled. "Robert Drake, Elizabeth Braddock, Cessily Kincaid, and Jean Grey."

Jamie: He glanced around. Half and half. The guy in front of me, who was yelling a minute ago, has broken like three pencils, babe. He's hilarious. Can we keep him?

Bobby: He winced. Robert. Dammit.

Carol: Carol's expression remained impassive as she and the others were introduced. At least one of them could look professional for the media.

Jean: You have to feed him. Jean focused on the red-faced man.

Xavier: Charles' mouth twitched, "Apologies. Bobby Drake."

Bobby: His eyes got big before he just nodded. Goddammit. He was going to have to work on those shields.

Cessily: Cessily's idea of a professional attitude was beaming a cheerful grin and waving at the cameras when the professor announced her name.

Jamie: Jamie narrowed his eyes as he thought about how to feed such an angry creature. I think he would sooner eat my hand than whatever I was holding.

Rogue: Rogue lifted back up onto the stage to stand close to Tony again, trusting that Carol could take care of Xavier if the need arose.

Beth: Beth reached over and gave Bobby a pat on the arm.

Jean: She tried not to do a ton of snooping anymore... and Xavier was standing right there. She could feel his power. Buuuut...

Rogue: Rogue was normally very good about being professional with Tony in public when on the job, but she was so happy he was doing this that she couldn't resist squeezing his hand as she moved to get a better view of someone in the audience.

Tony: The corner of Tony's mouth twitched and he returned the squeeze, covering the movement by shifting his weight to give Xavier an approving nod.

Jean: She prodded Beth's brain. Hey. You getting the hostility from the reportery people out there?

Beth: Tons. But they're also shitting bricks so they're just gonna bitch about it later in their word media of choice.

Xavier: Charles scanned the crowd with his eyes, "I know you must all have questions, but I implore you to hold them. I promise they will all be answered in due time. But for now, I leave you with this: Peace is possible. Humans and mutants need not fear each other. We are all here to serve the other. The X-Men will serve and protect you. No matter your genes. Thank you."

Cessily: Cessily flashed a grin and applauded for the professor with enough enthusiasm her red ponytail bounced behind her head, hoping to charm the press with her excitement.

Beth: Okay calm down... she gently patted Cess too.

Jamie: Jamie clapped and gave Xavier a wave as he stepped away from the podium. "Woo!"

Jean: She couldn't help but giggle at her fellow redhead. Okay, this was gonna be fun.

Tony: "Thank you, Professor. Now, I won't be taking any questions today, but I may have some limited availability, later, for a few of my friends in the media." He winked at that Farrell reporter girl. Much easier on the eyes than Jameson.

Rogue: Rogue couldn't help the slight narrowing of her eyes at Kat, even if the other woman didn't see it. Part of her hoped she hadn't, but part of her hoped she had. Mine. She put her hand lightly on Tony's back and gestured towards the exit.

Tony: "Okay, guys. That's it! I'm calling lunch!" Tony threw up a peace sign and put on his winning grin again, ignoring the harried press secretary who took the podium in his wake as he turned away.

Bobby: He kept his eye roll internal. Starks.

Carol: Oh thank God. Now she could go and do fun stuff. Like hitting nails with a hammer and trying not to drink scotch. Carol turned to follow Tony off the stage.

Rogue: As soon as they had cleared the curtain, Rogue threw herself at Tony for a tight hug. "Y're th' best."

Tony: "I really am, aren't I?" Tony oofed a little at the hug, but returned it happily. "Remember that when we have to meet with PR after lunch..."

Rogue: She sagged in his arms and pulled back to give him a frown. "Ah don't like that part." Rogue looked at Carol, "Ah vote she goes in mah stead."

Jean: She grinned at Jamie one more time before she had to go, striking a pose.

Carol: Carol raised an eyebrow, "I don't. I got a Death Star to build."

Cessily: "Wow, this was amazing!" Cessily exclaimed as she accompanied the others off the stage. "I still can't believe that really happened."

Beth: Beth all but skipped off the stage, her purple waves bouncing behind her. Mother would be so proud! Bwahahaha!

Jamie: He waggled his eyebrows at her, snapping a few more pictures and waiting until she was walking away to snap some more. Don't change.

Jean: She paused at Rogue hugging the president. Whoa. She looked over at Beth. Whoa!

Xavier: Charles stood off to the side and smiled as he watched the interactions between all of his former students. He had never been more proud.

Beth: Gossip! She widened her eyes at Jean.

Jean: She grabbed Cess' silver hand and nodded at the huggy people.

Cessily: "Ooh, I think we have a lot of catching up to do," Cessily commented.

Rogue: Rogue felt her face heat up and she pulled out of Tony's arms.

Bobby: Last off the stage, he stopped at everyone staring awkwardly and curiously at everyone else.

Rogue: Rogue gave Bobby a weak grin. "Lunch?"

Carol: "Well... I'm gonna jet. Should have been at Chris' place..." she checked her watch, "Oh... Three hours ago. That's gonna be great." She rolled her eyes, a wave of energy passing over her to put her back in her street clothes. "You know where to find me."

Beth: Beth glomped Carol before she could get too far away now that she wasn't worried about crinkling the pretty uniform, "I'll come help with the BAMF problem later in the week."

Cessily: "See you around," Cessily called after Carol and raised her hand to wave. "Ooh, I can help with that, too, if you like," she offered, looking at Beth. "If nothing else, I should make for good bait to lure them out. I remember they like shiny things."

Jean: "What the fuck is a bamf problem?" She looked at the other women.

Carol: "Come and help. You'll find out." She gave Beth a pat on the head before heading out into the garden and taking off at speed.

Jean: "That's not ominous at all..."

Beth: "It'll be fun! We can see who's the better ninja!" Beth grinned at Jean, "Spoiler alert: It's me."

Jean: Her eyes narrowed. "Oh, it's on."