11/6 Issue: The Snake in the Grass

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

11/6 Issue: The Snake in the Grass

Post by Slarti »

Timelined Tuesday, April 18, 2023.

Jessica: Jess liked Tuesdays. They were quiet. They had kind of an end of the week feel about them in her appointment calendar. She sipped her tea and munched a biscuit while she caught up on some emails in a break between appointments. She was in her happy place on the floor of the guinea pig room while they pottered around her looking for treats.

Shaw: In the kitchen, Sebastian was busy undoing what Tony had done to his coffee machine. Why was there a butter knife inside of it?

Viper: Normally, she would have knocked but today was not a good day for knocking so she teleported herself into the foyer and awaited the yelling.

Shaw: The alarm system tripped and Sebastian swore, checking his phone. Ah.

Jessica: Despite the noises of exploring guinea pigs, Jess' ears picked up the electronic teleportation sound. Well at least she'd shown up on a quiet day when Miriam was at school. She picked up the pig that had climbed into her lap and set her back on the floor before she got to her feet as Sharky bolted down the stairs barking excitedly.

Shaw: Sebastian took his time, extracting the butter knife and... was that a twist tie?

Viper: Ah the disappointment. She sighed and looked down at the silver corgi as it danced around her feet, "Where is Jessica?" Sharky skittered over to the stairs and waited for her to follow. At least he was a half-decent butler.

Shaw: "She is working," he called, handing off the knife and twist tie to Widget, who burbled quietly. Sebastian straightened up from his position peering into the machine to watch Sarkissian come up the stairs.

Viper: "She called me," Viper supplied to the unspoken question, "It's Tuesday. I know she's not working."

Shaw: "She is bonding with her rodents." He nodded toward the office door, wiping off his hands and waving away Widget for the time being.

Viper: "Then she knows I'm here," Viper decided to help herself to some tea, "What did Tony do to your coffee maker?"

Shaw: "Of course she knows you're here. You tripped all of our internal sensors and we can hear you." Sebastian smirked and leaned against the counter. "He improved it." Sebastian punctuated the statement with air quotes and a smirk. "I can't imagine how you know it was Tony."

Viper: "Call it a hunch," she replied with a smirk of her own, leaning against the counter while she waited for the kettle.

Jessica: Having picked up all the pigs and put them back in their houses, Jess was free to leave their domain and stepped into the hallway, crouching to pat Sharky on the head and tell him he was a good boy.

Shaw: "A hunch, or your constant and irritating insistence on tapping into my security system?" He cocked his head, debating if he wanted coffee himself for this conversation. No. Scotch.

Viper: "Do you really want me to answer that question?" She raised an eyebrow at him as she folded her arms across her chest.

Shaw: "You do know the meaning of the word 'rhetorical,' yes?" Sebastian went past her and to the liquor cabinet to pour himself a scotch.

Viper: She cocked her head on one side, wondering if that question was rhetorical. "Hello Jessica."

Jessica: Jess smiled from the doorway, "Thanks for coming..."

Shaw: Sebastian knocked back his first glass and refilled the tumbler before turning to face the women in the kitchen.

Viper: "Of course I came. What is it you want to know?" She turned to take down two mugs to make tea for both of them.

Jessica: Jess looked at Sebastian, "Let's sit down..." Slow down...

Shaw: He raised a brow at his wife and smirked, but went to sit as requested.

Viper: After finishing up with the tea, Viper picked up the mugs and went to join Jessica and Sebastian at the table. She set Jess' mug in front of her before taking a seat, "Well, then..."

Jessica: Jess pulled her mug to her, Do you want to ask or shall I?

Shaw: "Sarkissian," he began, turning his glass on the table and meeting the woman's green eyes. "During Hydra's attack on Xavier's old school, who assisted you in your portion of that endeavor?"

Viper: She looked between the two at the table with her, "Jessica already knows the answer to that question. What are you really asking, Sebastian?"

Shaw: He leaned forward. "I wish to hear you say his name," he growled.

Viper: "He called himself Doctor Rott," she stated plainly.

Shaw: It was the answer he expected, but he raised his lip in a sneer anyway. "And he is still your associate?"

Viper: She raised an eyebrow at the obvious contempt, "No. He was annoying. Why the sudden interest?"

Shaw: "Let's say I have a personal stake in his previous work." Sebastian studied her face, looking for the lie. "You were aware of his previous work, of course?"

Viper: "At the time I was required to work with him, I was not interested in his previous work. Since then, I have done my own research." Her gaze drifted briefly to Jessica, "So I am aware now what he was up to when not under Hydra's supervision."

Shaw: "Ah yes. Please, then, do indulge me. Share the findings of your research." His eyes were entirely focused on Viper.

Viper: She raised an eyebrow at him, "I'm not entirely sure I like your tone. If you're suggesting I knew what he had done to other mutants in the name of science and worked with him regardless you are very much mistaken. Had I known what he had done I would have killed him myself." She reached into her pocket and took out two holographic devices, activating one of them.

Shaw: "You truly expect me to believe you had no idea? He was in SHIELD custody once the state police determined he was beyond their abilities for containment. Yet, he simply... vanished."

Viper: "He was brought to me." Viper accessed some files and transferred them from one device to the other, "I was required to make use of him and I did. Do you think I am the only person within Hydra who can easily bypass SHIELD security?"

Shaw: "No, of course not. I could do it. As could Tony, as could a half dozen people I know, but I know now you had an intimate association with him directly after his disappearance. I found it curious. Is it so strange that I question this?"

Viper: "Intimate? Hardly. I was glad to be rid of him." She slid the unactivated device across the table toward him then deactivated the second and put it back in her pocket. "I told you I found him annoying."

Shaw: Sebastian's eyes fell to the device, then rose again to meet Sarkissian's. "If you would have killed him yourself, why have you not done so?"

Viper: "He has been out of Hydra's employ for quite some time. In order to kill him I would have to track him down." She picked up her tea and took a sip from the mug.

Shaw: "You do not know where he is?" Sebastian glanced at Jessica, then picked up the device.

Viper: "No. And finding him is very low on my list of priorities at the moment so if you would like my help you will have to have patience."

Jessica: "The Hive..." Jess said softly. That was her guess.

Viper: Viper gave a nod, "Yes. Among other things."

Shaw: "I have my own resources," he muttered, activating the device and scanning the holographic screens. Dr. Algernon Rottwell, born Bentley Newton. Surgeon, with an ungodly fascination with brains. Sebastian snarled under his breath as he skimmed through the files, including information on his time with the Cult of Galactus.

Jessica: "Viper... what you're planning... is that a good idea?" Jess decided to ask while Sebastian was distracted.

Viper: She considered the question, "It's... not a bad idea..."

Jessica: Jess sighed, "Viper... the last time you assassinated someone was out of revenge. This is different..."

Viper: "No, it's still revenge. They're under the mistaken impression I have forgiven them. I'm intending to reeducate them."

Jessica: Jess frowned and got up to get some biscuits. "Are they going to try to kill you again?"

Viper: "Probably. But I am much better prepared this time." She turned in her seat to watch Jessica move around the kitchen, "You needn't worry. I won't be hiding here."

Jessica: "I'm going to worry anyway...." Chocolate biscuits seemed like a good idea and she carried the packet and Sebastian's scotch bottle to the table, setting them both down.

Viper: "Jessica, I am more than capable of looking after myself. I have a multitude of contingency plans. There really is nothing for you to worry about," She offered the other woman a reassuring smile.

Shaw: Sebastian looked up and between the women and gave Jess a slight smile. "I will be taking care of this one," he indicated the file, which included a few images of the man. "Killing me quickly was in the cult's political interest, but this madman needs to die."

Viper: "Then, by all means, have your fun," Viper declined the offer of a biscuit, "If you require anything from me, you know how to contact me."

Shaw: His mouth twisted, unwilling to consider this fun. Sebastian picked up his scotch and finished the glass, still watching Sarkissian. "This... Hive. What is your endgame here, Ophelia?"

Viper: She raised an eyebrow, "What does it matter to you?"

Shaw: "Simple curiosity." He gave her a slow blink and reached for the bottle, refilling his glass. "If Jessica is concerned, then perhaps I should be as well, yes?"

Viper: "It's nothing either of you need to concern yourselves with, other than that I may ask you to take care of a few items for me while I am traveling. The Hive needs to die and I intend to see to it."

Shaw: "I have a passing familiarity, and while I do not disagree, I still wonder why you pursue this. Is it truly simple revenge?"

Viper: "What else would it be?" she raised an eyebrow.

Shaw: "A tactical move," he said, taking a sip of scotch.

Viper: She cocked her head on one side, "To what end?"

Shaw: "That's what I am asking you, Sarkissian," he chuckled. "I find it hard to believe you simply wish to teach Hydra command a lesson."

Viper: She smirked, "The lesson may be that they are all going to die but it is a lesson that will stick."

Shaw: "All?" He glanced at Jess.

Jessica: If she's planning to take down the entire High Council... there'll be no more Hydra... Jess frowned a little at Viper, "That's a hell of a lesson..."

Viper: "It's time for change..." she shrugged a shoulder and sipped her tea.

Shaw: Indeed, I rather gathered that part, koibito. "That would be a change. The question is, what would fill that power vacuum?"

Viper: "Someone else," she replied simply. "But probably not for some time."

Shaw: Sebastian sat back in his chair and swirled his scotch in its glass as he regarded her.

Viper: "I have no interest in leading Hydra, if you are wondering."

Shaw: "Academic curiosity," he said, giving her his shark grin. "Thank you for the information on Rott. I will put it to good use."

Viper: "Someone might as well use it," she smirked over the rim of her cup as she took another sip of tea. "If I finish my project before you locate him, I will help you if you wish."

Shaw: "Thank you for the offer." Sebastian glanced at Jessica.

Jessica: Jess chewed her lip, "If you need our help for more than just looking after some things... please ask for it...." I think this is more dangerous than she's letting on...

Viper: "Thank you... I'm fine, but thank you." Viper gave her a small smile, "Is there anything else you want to know about now or shall I leave before I outstay my welcome?"

Shaw: I'm certain it is, but Sarkissian is a professional, after all. "My concern was with Rott and the implications of his continued survival." As if we didn't already have Essex on the loose in a cloned body. Those two most certainly do not need to find one another.

Jessica: That is the stuff nightmares are made of... Jess picked up her own tea to hide behind it.

Viper: "Well then, I believe you have all you need." She finished her tea and pushed her chair out to stand, "If you need a containment field for him, I can furnish you with one without any trouble."

Shaw: "I'll take that into consideration, but I have no intention to contain him," he stood as well, sharp-toothed grin back in place.

Viper: "Perhaps not... but he is a slippery character. You might want to consider containing him long enough to exact your revenge."

Shaw: "His death is vengeance enough." He tapped the storage device on the table.

Viper: "You may not feel that way when you've read everything in the files." She turned to return the hug Jessica was offering her.

Shaw: "Wonderful," he muttered, deciding that called for another drink as they hugged.

Viper: "Tell me if you need anything when you're ready...." She stepped back from Jessica, "I'll do what I can."

Shaw: "Don't get yourself killed," he said, saluting her with his glass.

Viper: She laughed, "That's always my first priority." Viper gave him a small nod of acknowledgment before teleporting out.

Shaw: Sebastian sighed and tapped the device again, looking up at Jess. "I'm going to need to call Yukio. Perhaps Daken, although I'm loathe to use that boy again unless necessary."

Jessica: "Then call Yukio first and see what she suggests.... she might not want to work with him either." Jess moved over to him and slid her arms around his shoulders, "Are you going to share this information?"

Shaw: "With Madrox?" Sebastian's arms wound around her in return. "I will review it first. Sarkissian's commentary does not fill me with optimism for what I might find."

Jessica: "I think he has the right to know... he suffered a lot at his hands..." She pressed a kiss to Sebastian's cheek, "He might want to help with the revenge thing..."

Shaw: "I am aware, yes. If you're about to ask me if I plan to send him after Rott - no. He is no assassin. But, yes, I agree he should know."

Jessica: "I know you wouldn't do that... because I would kill you." She pointed out, "He can help find him if nothing else..."

Shaw: Sebastian gave his wife a raised brow and a smirk. "Yes, I'm sure he could."

Jessica: "So let him help... it'll give him something to do... something to focus on, and, if he asks where the information came from you can tell him. He knows about Viper."

Shaw: "Oh, I know he knows about Viper. He's got some very strong opinions about her that he wasn't shy about sharing," he said with a chuckle.

Jessica: "And I'm sure you were delighted to find someone that agrees with you," she teased, "I just hope it doesn't ruin his and Jean's trust with us... and Carol too because she was here..."

Shaw: "It was quite enjoyable," he agreed with a grin. "He also has strong opinions on the Hellfire Club, so that ship has likely already sailed, love."

Jessica: "Maybe... but maybe we have time to fix it... Jean was talking to me about the hellfire club... and we talked about Viper... she told me who Rott was...." Jess sighed and gave him a squeeze, "We'll see..."

Shaw: "She spoke to me about the Club as well, yes." He returned the squeeze and looked at the device on the table. "Indeed we shall."
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Re: 11/6 Issue: The Snake in the Grass

Post by Esynthia »

Jamie does not trust the snek or the spooder.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Re: 11/6 Issue: The Snake in the Grass

Post by Slarti »

But the spooder is fren!
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict