11/24 Issue: All Work and No Play

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

11/24 Issue: All Work and No Play

Post by Svartfreja »

Timelined a day or so after [Issue]Presidential Blues.

<Warren> Warren sat in one of the conference rooms with a bunch of contracts spread out across the table. Running a hotel chain was a lot harder than he thought it would be, but at least he was getting better at it. His dad would probably argue that drinking beer and watching re-run hockey games while going over contracts wouldn't be an improvement, but he didn't care.

<Beth> Beth finally had some time free of obligations and had decided to visit a friend from her college days. She really had to stop agreeing to help with stuff before she thought it all the way through. It was easy enough to bypass all the people that would stop her bothering Warren and a quick sweep of the room he was in assured her that he was alone.

<Beth> She grinned and opened the door to the conference room, "Boo!"

<Warren> Warren's wings flew out as she caught him by surprise, sending his papers flying. "Holy fuck, Jesus. Who?" She'd surprised him enough to topple his chair as his wings flailed and ruffled up. "Don't do that!" Warren looked up at the purple haired girl who just scared the crap out of him.

<Beth> Beth laughed hard at the reaction she'd gotten. "Your face!" she giggled, closing the door to the conference room behind her, "Did you miss me?"

<Warren> "Who the fuck?" It took him a second to recognize her with purple hair. "Beth?" Warren started to extricate himself from the chair and his own wings. "Apparently my security did too. What the heck are you doing here?"

<Beth> "Pfft, you know security is no match for my awesomeness." She headed over to help him untangle himself, "I live in Boston now... well ish. Did you see the press conference? Did my hair look amazing on telly or what?"

<Warren> Warren laughed a little and let her help him up. "You're rearranging my papers. I'm pretty sure I would have recognized you sooner if I'd saw it." He grabbed the remote and went to youtube. "What was it about?"

<Beth> "The President endorsed the X-men. They're starting a fresh team... but not the school part. Carol was very firm on the no kids rule." She grinned, going to look at the papers and figure out what order they were supposed to be in.

<Warren> Warren did his searching magic and found the best recording of it and hit play. "I was kidding about the papers. Most of them are people trying to get me to hire their companies. You hit five stars on your hotel and then bam all the places are harassing you to get their business." Warren righted the chair and stretched a little trying to un-ruffle his feathers. "Want a drink?"

<Beth> "Only if you have real pop and not that piss America's weird sugar haters try to pawn off on you..." She gave him a grin, flopping into a chair and rotating slowly.

<Warren> "Five star hotel." He stuck his tongue out at her. "I meant a beer or something, but yes I can get you soda with real sugar in it." Warren went over to the phone and dialed down to room service. "Your hair does pop on tv." He pointed to the big screen.

<Beth> "Mother haaaaaates it. It's delightful," She grinned as she rotated to face him, "You know I don't drink the funny juice. Freaky brain powers."

<Warren> "Pfft I don't know anything but numbers anymore." He gave a little shrug and hung up the phone after ordering drinks and a snack. "So freaky brain powers to go with the freaky chick huh?" Warren teased her.

<Beth> "You love my freaky brain powers. They get us free stuff and shh that we're rich. It's the principle."

<Warren> Warren laughed again. "Maybe, though I prefer paying for things. Can't be taking food out of other rich people's mouths right?" He tried to hold back the laugh, but couldn't.

<Beth> She giggled again, "Most rich people don't eat anyway. Gotta stay thin for all those selfies."

<Warren> "They're the dumb ones. Food is good." Warren saw the guy coming with their drinks and snacks. He met him at the door and took the cart. "Thanks Tom, I'll take the cart back when we're done."

<Beth> Beth watched him at the door and feigned offense, "Are you ashamed of me?!"

<Warren> "Huh? No, I didn't want to make him do extra work. They do a whole thing unloading the cart." Warren wheeled it over to the table and started pulling things out. "Got us snacks too." He smiled.

<Beth> "Woohoo! Snacks! You do love me!" She climbed over the table because fuck going around it again.

<Warren> Warren laughed a bit more. "You know it. I've just been pining over you all these days. I can hardly get any work done with how much I think about how I love you." He swept the papers carefully to the side with his wing and then set the trays of snacks down.

<Beth> Beth folded her legs under herself and sat on the table to hoard the snacks. "Well, lucky for you, you can see me all the time now."

<Warren> "You break my nice table and I'm going to tell your Mother that we're engaged and you plan on becoming a good old fashioned wasp." He sat down in his seat and turned the game back on. "So, X-men huh?"

<Beth> She poked her tongue out at him, "She'd never believe you." She popped open a can of pop and took a sip, "We're back in the old insane asylum! It was full of naked blue demons but I helped make them go away."

<Warren> "I don't know. I have the money to blow to make it look like it's really happening." Warren smirked. "Well sounds like you're in heaven. Insane asylum and naked demons."

<Beth> "It's been a fun week," she laughed, "I've also been helping out some friends with their kitchen. Changing pipes and whatnot."

<Warren> "You're a weird little cookie aren't you?" Warren cocked his head at her. "I would have just hired someone to do it."

<Beth> "Well Jamie wanted to do it all himself but he's been busy and they really need a functional kitchen so I said I'd help. It's fun for me," she shrugged, "You know I'm happiest when I have dirt on me somewhere."

<Warren> "So you're a dirty girl huh?" The smirk crept back onto his face. "I'm just lazy with no skills."

<Beth> She laughed again, not even caring about the implications, "You're not lazy. You're doing paperwork. That takes dedication. Paperwork is boooooring."

<Warren> "Beyond boring." Warren sighed. "You have no idea how mind numbing this all is."

<Beth> "Can't you hire people to read all this for you and just tell you the important bits?"

<Warren> "If I could find someone I trust." He shrugged. "Gotta play 'get the best worker for the best price'. Some idiots just go for the absolute best that are overpriced and go bankrupt."

<Beth> "Isn't that what lawyers are for? Get one of those!"

<Warren> Warren laughed harder. "I have a whole team of them. They don't know how to run a business. They know how to sue and overcharge."

<Beth> "You are talking to the wrong lawyers," she advised, "There's contract lawyers for this shit," she gestured at the paperwork.

<Warren> "What was the point of me getting a business degree then?" Warren raised an eyebrow.

<Beth> "So you know when it's time to hire lawyers because paperwork is boring?"

<Warren> "You're just chasing your tail here. I can do my own paperwork. Plus I like to know what's going on in my business." He sipped at his beer.

<Beth> "Then you're going to have to deal with boring paperwork and you're not allowed to complain about it."

<Warren> "Pffft I'm rich I can complain about everything. This is murica."

<Beth> "What if I throw stuff at you every time you complain about something you can fix but refuse to?"

<Warren> "I have a whole staff that can come in and throw things at you."

<Beth> "Pfft they will forget all about it before they even make it to the door."

<Warren> "You would abuse my staff like that! How rude. Don't make me citizen's arrest you!"

<Beth> "You want to make them throw stuff at me! I have a right to defend myself."

<Warren> "Hey just cuz I have staff to do it for me doesn't mean it's not self defense for me too."

<Beth> "My point is that you're abusing your staff by making them do it for you. Maybe I should citizen's arrest you." She took another swig from her can, "Or you could just stop whining."

<Warren> "But that's what I pay my security for.... You really like circular arguments huh?" He grabbed a cheeto and threw it at her.

<Beth> "No you just don't know when to give up. I'm going to win. Just accept it... or should I get Brian on the phone to confirm that you have no hope?"

<Warren> "You might win against the noobs and lemmings out there but you're not going to beat me." He threw another cheeto before popping one in his mouth.

<Beth> "Says you. I'm a telepath. I win at life." And now she had two free cheetos.

<Warren> "Maybe next time I'll get you an evil coke instead of the good real sugar one." Warren rolled his eyes a little.

<Beth> "You're just jealous of my Jedi mind trick powers. I only a little bit use them for evil..."

<Warren> "Pfft I can fly at Mach 1 and I have all sorts of my own fun powers." Warren threw a cheeto at her boobs. He couldn't resist.

<Beth> She looked down her top as the cheeto made it into the neckline. "I can fly now! ... Sort of..." It was a work in progress. Jean was way better at it.

<Warren> "That just sounds like a bad idea..." Warren stared at her a little. "Be careful. There's a lot of stuff that could mess you up the higher you fly."

<Beth> "I can use my teke to fly... it's tricky though... I'm still learning. Jean's helping me."

<Warren> "Still sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me. Though I guess it's not like I'm very careful about it." He shrugged.

<Beth> "I basically create a bubble around myself so I'm pretty protected... I don't have the same control that Jean has and it's not like I can go really high because I need that oxygen thing..."

<Warren> "Meh, oxygen is overrated. You totally don't need it to live." He laughed a little.

<Beth> "Well maybe you don't but I'm rather fond of it..."

<Warren> "Ahh, I win again." He shot her a smirk. "And there was the sneaky win in between."

<Beth> Oh yeah there was a cheeto down her top. She dove after it. "I don't know... I've had three free cheetos that I didn't have to steal..." she popped her latest prize in her mouth.

<Warren> "Well they were already here for the taking. You don't have to steal them..."

<Beth> "But stolen food doesn't have any calories!"

<Warren> "I'm about pretty sure that's not how it works." He threw another cheeto at her.

<Beth> Woo more free food! "Totally is. Ask anyone."

<Warren> "Alright, lemme call a culinary scientist real quick." He thought about throwing something more messy at her.

<Beth> "Go ahead. I'll wait," she grinned.

<Warren> "Damn, you remembered how lazy I was." He sighed and threw another cheeto at her. "You're going to be orange before you leave."

<Beth> Beth managed to catch this one before it hit and nommed it, "I will consider it the colour of my victory!"

<Warren> "And here I thought you were all about purple."

<Beth> "Well purple is my favourite colour... but cheetos are delicious."

<Warren> "So you want to be purple, orange and delicious?" Warren gave her a coy smirk.

<Beth> Beth thought about that for a moment then nodded, "Yes. That sounds acceptable."

<Warren> Warren couldn't help but start laughing. He laughed so hard that he almost fell out of his chair.

<Beth> Beth watched this development while she sipped at her drink then cocked her head on one side, "What?"

<Warren> "Nothing." Warren barely got out while he tried to hold back his laughing. "I am not drunk enough for you right now."

<Beth> "You need to be drunk to be with me? I feel like I should be offended...."

<Warren> "Well when you softball easy sexual comments about being tasty, yes." He stuck his tongue out at her.

<Beth> "You said it! And you're the one with the gutter brain. I was just going to be happily covered in cheese dust."

<Warren> "You've known me for how long and you're just now figuring this out?" He raised an eyebrow.

<Beth> She shook her head, "No, I know you have a gutter brain. I'm just saying... my thoughts were innocent. You have a problem." She poked her tongue out at him.

<Warren> "I don't see it as a problem. I like my brain."

<Beth> "One day you're going to gutter brain your way into some serious trouble," she teased.

<Warren> "I haven't yet. Plus I only use it around friends." He threw another cheeto at her boobs.

<Beth> "I feel like I should protect my cleavage..."

<Warren> "Hey you're the one that said you wanted to be covered in cheese dust."

<Beth> "Yeah but apparently you think that's dirty so...."

<Warren> "Damn now you're making me feel like some kind of molester or something..." Warren frowned and got another drink.

<Beth> She laughed, "Nah for that you'd have to go fishing for your own cheetos after you threw them."

<Warren> "Nah, I only do that stuff with permission." He popped the top off his beer and took a sip.

<Beth> "Then you're fine," She grinned, "Anyway... if I really wanted to know how pervy you were being I'd just look."

<Warren> "Cheater." He threw another cheeto at her. "Keep that crazy Jedi power outa my brain."

<Beth> She giggled, "Never! It's way too interesting poking around in people's brains..."

<Warren> "Pfft, you're not a Jedi, you're totally Sith. You gave into the Dark Side long ago didn't you?"

<Beth> "It's so much more fun on the Dark Side...." she whined, "They have cookies!"

<Warren> "Hmm you're right. Sign me up." Warren laughed a little. "They're also allowed to have sex. Jedi were weird."

<Beth> "Space monks." Beth nodded, "Poor bastards."

<Warren> "Yeah, I could not go through my entire adult life without sex. I think they'd be against beer too."

<Beth> "Probably... but I don't drink so that one is less of a problem for me."

<Warren> "Apparently they don't have cookies either though." Warren gave her a shrug.

<Beth> "They have nothing fun. The Dark Side is way better." Beth nodded sagely, "So, while we're on the subject... wanna ditch work and do something fun?"

<Warren> "Oh definitely!" He smirked. "This stuff isn't due for a while."

<Beth> "Woo! Let's go play!" She slid off the table and picked up some more snacks for the road as she bounded over to the door.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6