10/1 Issue: Boiling Over

Instance transcripts for the new, expanded world of ScrawlerEarth live here!
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

10/1 Issue: Boiling Over

Post by Svartfreja »

Timelined concurrant to [Fic]Dance Combat.

<Carol> Carol eyed her surprise visitor as she sat on her desk swinging her legs and giggling. "So, kiddo, what shall we do while your mom is busy?" Miriam scrunched her shoulders in a shrug. "You are no help at all." More giggling. She offered her hand, "Let's go find some snacks." "Yay!" Miriam took her hand and slid off the desk onto her feet. Snacks meant candy!

<Jean> Jean was in the mood for tea. This was why she was here in Danvers at all today, so she floated in the front door and immediately headed for the kitchen. It was always a safe bet.

<Carol> Carol lifted Miriam up onto the counter while she put some coffee on, "So, what are we eating, boss?" "Candy!" Hmm. Carol was fairly sure she'd get in trouble for feeding Miriam candy.... but the boss had spoken! She opened up a cupboard and held up some options.

<Jean> Sensing Carol in the kitchen and then straight up hearing her, she didn't register the presence of another little mind until she'd already burst into the room. "Well what's the tea, bitch?!" Oh! Miriam! Oh. "Don'ttellyourmom," she babbled, waving a hand Jedi style.

<Carol> Miriam laughed as Carol basically threw the candy at her in her surprise, "Jean! How many times?! Don't sneak up on me!" "Candy!" Miriam claimed her multiple prizes. Carol frowned. Now she was definitely getting in trouble.

<Jean> "I'm a ninja!" she chirped, floating into the kitchen and parking her butt on the counter beside Miriam. "Heeeeey, chica!"

<Carol> "Hi!" Miriam held out her candy packet to Jean for her to open. Carol sighed and went to pour some coffee. "Her mom is probably in the gym if you wanna say hi."

<Jean> "Already did!" She used her teke to lift the package into the air and zip off the top before floating it back to Miriam - after a few pieces popped out to come to mama. Jean caught the candy from the air. "Ooooo, coffee!"

<Carol> "Nasty bean water!" Miriam parroted.

<Jean> "Delicious bean water!" Jean popped a piece of candy into her mouth. "Your dad agrees, right, Carol?"

<Carol> The word 'dad' stalled her brain out for a moment, "Huh? What? Oh... Sebastian? Yeah he runs on coffee and scotch like me."

<Jean> "See, told ya." She popped her tongue out at Miriam, then giggled.

<Carol> "I like candy," Miriam informed them. "'s better."

<Jean> "I call it a tie," Jean said, watching Carol be all distracted. She gave her brain a poke.

<Carol> "No, we're not letting you try coffee to see because then your mommy will kill me," Carol booped Miriam's nose and the little girl giggled again, "You're silly!" she proclaimed. Carol nodded, "Yep. That checks out."

<Jean> "Maybe I'll sneak you a red bull later." Jean giggled too, eating more of the kid's candy, and poked Carol's brain harder.

<Carol> "Moo!" Said Miriam. Carol leaned against the counter with her coffee and took a sip, raising an eyebrow at Jean for the brain poke.

<Jean> "Not that kind of bull!" Jean added a nose boop too for Miriam and raised her own perfectly coiffed eyebrow in return. "Sooooo..."

<Carol> "You can get your own nasty bean water," Carol told her, assuming that was what she was hinting at.

<Jean> "Well, yes, I can, but that's soooo not the point." She swung her feet in excitement. "How did it go?"

<Carol> Oh... that. She pulled a face. "I think we were there five minutes before I gave up trying to do it sober."

<Jean> Jean's face fell. "Awww, that bad?" She hopped off the counter and went to get coffee instead of using her teke.

<Carol> "We hoped bringing Tony would get dad to tone it down a little bit... but he kind saw it as a challenge..."

<Jean> "Oh shiiioooot." Jean tempered it at the last second when she remembered little ears. "I'm sorry," she said, pouring herself a cup and going in search of sugar.

<Carol> "Mom made him go take a walk... it wasn't better when he came back." She shrugged a shoulder.

<Jean> "Uuuugh. So he was rude to Rogue? That sucks." Sugar located, she went digging in the fridge.

<Carol> "Yeah... and me... and Tony..." She sipped her coffee before putting it down to open another packet of candy for Miriam. "You've gotta pace yourself, kid..."

<Jean> "Eeeeew, what a dick. Did you deck him?" Jean found chocolate sauce and started working on her ghetto mocha.

<Carol> Carol shook her head, "Nooooo. I wanted to... but... I know better."

<Jean> "Did Rogue deck him?" Jean taste tested her creation, then added more milk.

<Carol> She laughed and shook her head again, "No one hit anyone..."

<Jean> "Damn!" She tested again. More sugar! "I'd have paid to see pics of the president decking him."

<Carol> "Well no one wanted to get hauled off by the secret service so...." she picked up her coffee again.

<Jean> "No?" Jean gave her a grin. "You sure you didn't want to see your dad hauled off by the secret service?"

<Carol> "He'd never be that stupid. If he was gonna do any swinging, he'd wait til he didn't have an audience."

<Jean> Jean made a face, since the implications of that were way less fun. "Y'know... I could give him a fun phobia or something." Bad Jean. Oh well!

<Carol> She shook her head, "Let's not make it worse... and you don't wanna go poking around in his messed up head anyway." She lifted Miriam down from the counter, "Shall we go play in the pool?" "Yeah!" Miriam bounced in excitement.

<Jean> "OMG, pool?!" Jean bounced too.

<Carol> Carol laughed, "Did you read anything they gave you in orientation?" She took Miriam's hand to walk her back out into the main hallway to pick up her backpack.

<Jean> "Sure, but that doesn't mean I was actually paying attention." She shrugged and nabbed her coffee to follow them.

<Carol> "You're hopeless," she shook her head, leaning into her office to pick up the backpack from the floor. "You got a swimsuit here or wanna use some SHIELD issue?"

<Jean> "I got my birthday suit." She gave Carol a bright grin.

<Carol> "..." Carol stopped and turned to look at her, "Are you sure you want to do that?"

<Jean> Jean giggled, noticing Miriam was watching her. "What? Too much for you?" She stuck out a hip and struck a pose.

<Carol> Carol leaned and gave her a shove to over balance her, "Might be too much for you when Jess shows up."

<Jean> "Heeeey!" She caught herself with her teke, but laughed. "You have a point there." Jean blink-blinked at Miriam with wide eyes. "Your mommy is scary!"

<Carol> Miriam shook her head, "Nu-uh! Mommy is pretty!" Carol laughed and ruffled Miriam's curls. "Mommy trained you well."

<Jean> "Pretty, and scary," she agreed with a nod and a slurp of coffee.

<Carol> "She's not that scary," Carol shook her head, "Jeanie's a wuss." Miriam giggled.

<Jean> "As if." She poked out her tongue and turned, flipping her hair over her shoulder. "The pool awaits!"

<Carol> Oh they were doing this? "I can wear a swimsuit, right?"

<Jean> "If you want, I suppose." She kept walking and drinking her coffee.

<Carol> "Do you hear yourself when you talk?"

<Jean> "It comes and goes," she shrugged, grinning to herself.

<Carol> Jean got the finger-gun to her butt. "At least Miriam has a swimsuit..."

<Jean> She squeaked, jumping and whipping to look at them. Jean poked her tongue out again, then turned and lifted off the ground to fly to the pool. Not too fast! Coffee!

<Carol> Well two could play at that game. She scooped Miriam up and easily overtook Jean while Miriam squealed and cackled with glee.

<Jean> Laughing, she fell in behind them since her coffee was a precious thing.

<Carol> Carol landed in the locker room and set Miriam on one of the benches to get her in her swimming gear. Jess had packed her some water wings too just to be on the safe side and there were pool noodles because they were just fun.

<Jean> Jean loved to play dumb, but she knew what was up and where the spare swimsuits were, so she went to get one. So ner.

<Carol> Once Miriam was all set and her floaties were inflated, Carol cheated and used her powers to change her own clothes before setting Miriam back on the floor and taking her hand to lead her to the pool and prevent running.

<Jean> Once she was changed into the ugly SHIELD suit, she emerged with her coffee still in hand. "I totes wanna set the water on fire."

<Carol> "... Let's not do that with a kid in the pool." Carol lowered herself into the water then held her hands out for Miriam who grinned and jumped into the pool with a shriek.

<Jean> "It's not like it's real fire. You know that, right, Miri?" Jean took another drink, set down her cup, then floated to the pool. "...is it cold?"

<Carol> "It's pool temperature?" Carol rolled her eyes then reached up and tugged Jean's ankle, "I told you Jeanie's a wuss," she added to Miriam. Miriam giggled, "Wuss!" She repeated.

<Jean> "Want me to show you wuss, blondie?" Jean squealed at the clammy hand around her ankle and lit up.

<Carol> "Oh, you're gonna threaten me now?" Two could play at that game too. She had plenty of energy stored. Miriam giggled and applauded at the show.

<Jean> "Absolutely!" Oooo, shiiiny! Jean let the flames grow and felt her hair raising up. Birb wanted to come out and play as she shook off Carol's hand.

<Carol> Well then. Carol lifted Miriam out of the water to sit on the side, "Stay right there." Miriam grinned, happy to follow the instruction from the shiny orange Aunty Carol. She patted the energy flames on Carol's head.

<Jean> It actually felt great to let the Phoenix out and blow off some steam, so she zipped around the large room and skimmed the surface of the water, dipping a telekinetic flamey toe to watch the wake it made.

<Carol> Now that Miriam was safely out of the water, Carol submerged and fired a concussive blast from below to send up a wall of water at Jean.

<Jean> "Hey now!" She laughed and flew through the wall, parting it as she went. Twisting in the air, she caught the water before it fell and shaped it into a dolphin for Miriam.

<Carol> Miriam clapped, "Again!" Carol decided to use what she hoped was a distraction to pop out of the water behind Jean and grab her. She was going to get wet one way or another.

<Jean> "Whoa, bitch!" Jean giggled when she was grabbed from behind and did a flamey barrel roll, trying to catch Carol's arms.

<Carol> Carol was expecting an attempted evasion and she was fast. She caught Jean's arms and pinned them to her sides, "Language!" she reminded her - Miriam giggled. "Jeanie said a bad word!"

<Jean> "I say a lot of those!" She laughed and wriggled in Carol's grip. They had to be nearly blinding between Carol's light and Jean's firebird reflecting off the water.

<Carol> "Then we're gonna have to teach you not to do that," Carol gave her a grin, then shifted their position in the air to push Jean into the water.

<Jean> For a split second, she was back there. She was in that tank with Arcade laughing and Jamie screaming. Jean flailed.

<Carol> Assuming the flail was just because of the imminent threat of cold water, Carol followed through on the threat but released Jean once they hit the pool. Miriam squealed with delight at the splash as the pool water sloshed around.

<Jean> Jean scrunched herself into a ball, but that made her sink, so she panicked again and shot out of the water with a tsunami sploosh, the Phoenix screeching. Jamie was shouting again, but this time it was in her head.

<Carol> The psychic half of the screech didn't bother her much but the out loud sound was unpleasant... and then there was a more unpleasant sound. Miriam was screaming her head off.

<Jean> Jamie's frantic Are you okay?! What's wrong? I'm coming! snapped her out of her panic enough to look around. Fuck! "Shit! Sorry!" She sucked the fire back in and dropped to the pool decking with a thump, running for Miriam. "It's okay, Miri! I'm sorry!"

<Carol> Carol landed beside Miriam and scooped her up into a cuddle, "Heeeey, it's okay! You're okay!" Crap! Jess was probably freaking out right now. She braced herself for a mamabear attack.

<Jean> Carol had Miriam, so Jean worked on soothing Jamie, assuring him she was fine and she'd tell him what happened later.

<Carol> Miriam was clinging tightly to Carol and still bawling so Carol just hugged her back and made shushing sounds until she heard a door bang open. "She's fine!" Carol said reflexively before she turned toward the sound and nearly caught a Jess to the face.

<Jessica> She was not fine! Miriam was terrified. "What happened?" Jess gently used her empathy to soothe Miriam, even though she felt bad for using her powers on her daughter.

<Jean> Jean jumped up. "It's my fault, not Carol," she babbled, almost at the onebigword stage. "I just got startled and freaked out and it was an accident and OMG I'm so so sorry!"

<Carol> "She phoenix psychic nuked," Carol elaborated, "Not sure what happened there..." she gave Jean the side-eye. "Do we need to talk about that?"

<Jessica> Jess raised an eyebrow at Jean, "Do we need to talk about that?" She placed her hand on Miriam's back and rubbed it in calming circles. Miriam turned toward her and reached for her so Jess took her from Carol and snuggled her baby, "Ew you're all wet...." this comment did succeed in getting a slightly snotty giggle.

<Jean> Two sets of accusing eyes were staring at her now and Jean felt herself curl up, wrapping her arms around herself. "It was an accident..."

<Jessica> She sighed, feeling the shift in Jean's emotions, "It's fine, no one's hurt... it's just not like you to lose control like that...."

<Carol> "Yeah... and I wanna make sure I don't do whatever I did that caused it again...."

<Jean> "I..." Jean could feel Jamie questioning her again, could sense he was ready to drive up here. "Arcade drowned me," she finally said quietly, turning to go back to the locker room.

<Carol> Now she felt horrible. Carol caught Jean and hugged her, "I'm so sorry!"

<Jean> "Eep!" Jean found herself in an awkward side hug and turned to return it. "It's okay, I was fine until... I wasn't."

<Carol> "Yeah... it can happen that way..." She gave Jean a squeeze, "If you need to talk about it - and you should - you know where to find me... or Jess."

<Jean> "Yeah..." Her gaze shifted to Jess and Miriam, then back. "Trying to pretend none of it happened doesn't work so good."

<Carol> "Trust me, I know... it can creep up on you at the worst times so just... don't keep it to yourself, okay?"

<Jean> "Thanks, Carol." She remembered Jamie's question and decided she couldn't hate her. "It's been... hard."

<Carol> Carol dropped her energy form but kept the temperature around her the same because Jean was all wet and she'd be chilly, "Any time you need to talk, okay?"

<Jean> Jean just nodded, pulling back a little. "I'm gonna... get dressed. I'll tell Miriam I'm sorry again later."

<Carol> "I'll put a pot of coffee on so you can warm up and caffeinate when you're dressed," she offered.

<Jean> She gave Carol as much of a smile as she could muster and nodded again, wrapping herself up in her own arms and listening to Jamie pepper her with questions through the link.

<Carol> Carol responded with a small smile of her own before turning back to Jess and Miriam to let Jean escape unobserved.
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Re: 10/1 Issue: Boiling Over

Post by Esynthia »

I'm just imagining the psychic screech echoing in every telepath's head in range and setting off so many migraines XD