so.......anybody read the tabliods?

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Dragonfly
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Dragonfly »

Acording to one, In a new comic of "X-Static" they're turning Princess Di into a mutant.........some people arn't to happy about it, but the story sounds interesting.....
Nightcrawler: "If I had a normal life I'd quite cheerfully go mad and fall over right now"

Gambit: “You know it’s a bad sign when I’m the voice of reason…â€Â
alancummingfan
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat
Title: Banned

Post by alancummingfan »

i heard about that, but I heard (i think) on entertainment tonight that they canceled it, and they weren't gonna make it anymore.I think
Proud Member # 2 Of The We Like To Edit Club!(WLTE)
Member #7 of the The Would Kiss Nighty With The Scary Movie Teeth(WKNWTSMT).
Read My New Diary!!!!!
Dragonfly
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Dragonfly »

Hmmm interesting. well, we'll see
Nightcrawler: "If I had a normal life I'd quite cheerfully go mad and fall over right now"

NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

It sounded to be rather distasteful......"Di Another Day"?? Come on..
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
blueberrymuffin
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by blueberrymuffin »

Probably not a good idea to bring back a dead public figure for a comic book....especially one who's death was so contravertial. I have to say I'm glad they scrapped it.
Good choice Marvel!
"I deserve sympathy for the sins of my sordid past, not scorn. Those were difficult days, I was probably very confused and out of my mind on drink or drugs. It's not always about 'good' and 'evil' Scott dear." Emma

"I can't believe what some mutants are up to right now in the privacy of their own homes." Emma (again)
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

Yeah, I would have been kinda P.O.ed if they did that, seeing as she was such a respectable and caring person. Who do you think they should bring back from the and turn into a mutant?
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
bamfboy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by bamfboy »

Would she have a power?
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

yeah..i dont think id wanna see that,...its just kinda...blecky (Blah + icky = blecky) .. i respected her far too much to wanna see Diana the mutant (The White Princess?)
Call me King!
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Well, it just goes to show you that not everyone has a sense of "when you've gone too far". Marvel should have known better. In the USA, ripping on our president is a national pasttime. In Britan, you DON'T DO THAT to the Royals, especially ones that have been tragically martyred. (Which is really wierd, considering it's OK to get embarrasing pictures of Furgie and plaster them all over the Sun or the Mirror.... )
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Dragonfly
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Dragonfly »

Good choice Marvel!!
Rule 1: Don't screw with royalty. It's just not a good idea!;)

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Did Marvel ever really expect to run that story? Just a thought.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

i think it proves Paty was right there really is no one at marvel to yell "NO! you cant do this!"

...why they would ever have come up with such a stupid idea in the first place i will never no....
Call me King!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

So I guess I was the only one who was looking forward to this? I mean, you have to take a lighthearted approach to this. Sure, Princess Diana may have been a wonderful person and all that, but I had honestly never heard of her before she died, and I doubt many other Americans or other people in countries other than England had either.
So here comes this comic, X-Statix, already known for pushing various comic mores (two gay team members that aren't attracted to each other? Seemingly random character deaths?) that does a parody of some sort of a dead celebrity. I don't see much wrong with it, myself.
About not messing with royalty, I believe that America has a proud tradition of doing just that, starting in the 1700s and peaking later that century. If that wasn't a big middle finger to monarchies and other forms of totalitarian government, I don't know what is.
Of course, I could very well be completely wrong. Maybe this is the worst thing that could happen to comics since ... well, I do hate to point out writes and/or artists that I detest, because I know that even they have fans. So we'll just finish the above sentence with 'those artists that enjoy accentuating parts of the anatomy to ridiculous extremes.'
You know who I'm talking about.
My standard disclaimer does apply to this post. I have no idea what I'm talking about, and don't listen to a word I say.

-idsunki, who just realized that id is di spelled backwards. Trippy.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

It's one thing to rebell against a government that was headed by a particularly stupid king. Even the Britons admit that King George wasn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. He gave the colonies every excuse to rebel, and gave the extremists (Adams, Revere, etc.) all the fuel they wanted to fan the fires.

The problem is when you lampoon the royals, as allies, in a disrespectful manner. Political satire is acceptable; comic books aren't. Add to the fact that Princess Di was basically martyred, and you've got extra-raw feelings just boiling beneath the surface. The very hint of disrespect (which I admit means different things to different people) will send people frothing at the mouth.

Perhaps Marvel didn't mean any disrespect, but they should have known the trouble they would get into with this. This was quintessential American tactlessness, borishness, and lack of foresight, ranking right up there with the stupid boyfriend who takes you to a sports bar for your anniversary, watches TV the whole time, then wonders why you're upset.

And, yes, I'm American, too. ;)
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I knew who Princess Diana was before she died. She was all over tabliods, and the news in America before her death. She was as loved here as she was in England (well, maybe not as much, but damn close). The idea is this. She still has family alive. She still has two sons who ae dealing with their mother's death (only 6 years ago!). Marvel putting out a comic book about her, even in jest, is just completely tasteless.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

They were making a REAL stink about it in the papers here, about how tasteless it is. The article in our paper took up about half the page too. Good thing it was scrapped, because you should respect the dead and not do stuff like this to mess up their memory. The article was about two months ago, but it didn't say what William and Harry thought about it, or even if they knew.

If they want Brit superheros, then they should bring back Excalibur! I'd buy it!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

First off, I'll have to apologize for not coming across clearly on the whole King George thing. I in no way shape or form was comparing Diana to a tyrant of a King. I think that Americans have more King George than is necessary at the moment.
It's also possible that I didn't know who Princess Diana was because I don't read the tabloids or watch E! or any other celebrity type thing. I suppose I just wasn't 'in the know.' Another error on my part.
About it being pulled... well, I'm not too sure on that. In this month's issue of Previews (which is a magazine detailing what's coming out in the next few months in the comic world), they still had a solicitation for part two or three of the storyline.
I also don't really abide by the rule of "no making fun of people after they die." I'm also not sure I'd call getting killed trying to escape from the paparazzi by a drunk driver 'basically martyred.'
Now, the Prince William and Henry issue I could see as being a problem. Though, to be honest, I'm sure they've had to deal with worse than what a couple guys put in a comic book. For instance, dealing with the same paparazzi on a daily basis that their mother was trying to get away from.

-idsunki, once again completely out of line.

-EDIT-
PS: I'm going to have to ditto that Excalibur comic, provided that Kurt, Kitty, and Meggan are on the team.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Originally posted by idsunki
First off, I'll have to apologize for not coming across clearly on the whole King George thing. I in no way shape or form was comparing Diana to a tyrant of a King. I think that Americans have more King George than is necessary at the moment.
:oops I guess I should clarify my point, too. I didn't mean to imply that you were implying a similarity between Diana and George. Personally, I was thinking of the political satire and downright propaganda (witness the "Boston Massacre", which wasn't) during wartime in the colonies. Much of that was completely beyond the boundaries of good taste, but because of the atmosphere, it was perfectly acceptable. In such a case, it wouldn't have mattered if George was a really nice guy and a good ruler, or whether he was a blithering idiot who annoyed his own court. He was the enemy, so he would be demonized.

It's also possible that I didn't know who Princess Diana was because I don't read the tabloids or watch E! or any other celebrity type thing. I suppose I just wasn't 'in the know.' Another error on my part.
I never watched any of that stuff, either. Even though humanity has a (sometimes morbid) fascination with the private lives of celebrities, I really don't like looking. When someone puts out an autobiography, that's one thing. It's another to keep following them around and make up your own hypothesis, which way too many "journalists" seem to do. Unfortunately, Diana was a magnet for this because of her background. A commoner who rose to royalty, then had a divorce (*gasp!*), and broke many of the rules of royalty by becomeing very close and congenial with the rest of the world. This isn't to say she was right or wrong in her actions, as I understand (and agree) why the Royals have to keep their polite distance. The undisputable fact is that the controversy around her situation attracted paparrazi like bees to honey.
About it being pulled... well, I'm not too sure on that. In this month's issue of Previews (which is a magazine detailing what's coming out in the next few months in the comic world), they still had a solicitation for part two or three of the storyline.
Really? After all the furor over it, they're still considering going ahead with it? Wow....
I also don't really abide by the rule of "no making fun of people after they die." I'm also not sure I'd call getting killed trying to escape from the paparazzi by a drunk driver 'basically martyred.'
Ah. Well, that's why I said "basically martyred". True martyrdom is what happened to Anwar Sadat or Ghandi. They were both slain by an assailant because of a brave and wonderful thing they had done. What happened to Di hardly qualified as that. It was very, very sad, and there was plenty of blame to go around on both sides. A driver who wasn't in full capacity, and paparazzi who drove them to such extremes. She wasn't killed for a political cause, but her death did bring to light some of the reprehensable actions of media run amock, and it inextricably linked her death with that image of camera wielding vultures taking pictures of her dying body. That kind of imagery has made her a martyr in the eyes of millions, even if that term isn't really justified.
Now, the Prince William and Henry issue I could see as being a problem. Though, to be honest, I'm sure they've had to deal with worse than what a couple guys put in a comic book. For instance, dealing with the same paparazzi on a daily basis that their mother was trying to get away from.

-idsunki, once again completely out of line.
:) Your aren't out of line, honey. You're bringing a different side to the debate, and that's what this board is all about.