De-evolution

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Yann Solo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

De-evolution

Post by Yann Solo »

I saw in the gallery some pics where nighty & colossus (and, I guess, every mutant) are de-evolved as normal humans...
Does anyone know how did that happen? And why they all "re-evolved" again?
"Faut pas prendre les gens pour des cons, mais faut pas perdre de vue qu'ils le sont." :gambit
"You mustn't tell people they're stupid, but never forget they are." :D
crow
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

De-evolution

Post by crow »

I saw that clip before. & I wondered the same thing. I'm not sure what happened.
~CROW~
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

De-evolution

Post by MabusRex »

It happened in Uncanny X-Men 379 and X-Men #99.

Basically, the High Evolutionary, being decieved by a "Dr. Essex", decided to neutralize the X-gene and thus further allow the human race to evolve in a different direction. He activates a satellite that does so and every mutant on earth returns to a default non-mutant form, not just losing their powers, but their mutant physiology as well. As he does this, however, the true threat is revealed to be Dr. Essex or rather, Mr. Sinister in disguise.

After a few weeks on Earth, the X-Men adapt to their new positions and bodies, with some finding acceptance in a way they never thought possible, and others feeling further the outcast. But, with a Wolverine dying of adamantium poisoning, they decide to go to the satellite and destroy it, returning their powers. Up there, they fight some animal-mutated beings that the High Evolutionary uses and confront Sinister directly. They fight. They win. Everyone is happy happy again.
Yann Solo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

De-evolution

Post by Yann Solo »

Thanks!
wow... They win against Mr Sinister without their powers :shocked They're not the X-Men for nothing :LOL
"Faut pas prendre les gens pour des cons, mais faut pas perdre de vue qu'ils le sont." :gambit
"You mustn't tell people they're stupid, but never forget they are." :D
Deadcell
Lubber
Lubber

De-evolution

Post by Deadcell »

they had guns doncherknow.and their powers came back once they got into the control room
I rarely have much to say.....I must go out more..........
Melylott
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

De-evolution

Post by Melylott »

I'sve never read those issues. I wonder what Rogue did...and Cyclops. And Beast....
:abyss Abyss's Number Two Fan! I Love Nils!!! :abyss
:austen
"The Shire is THAT way!"
---Frodo, One Ring to Rule Them All 2 (Greatest Flash EVAH!11)
#1 Fan of Blue!Jill. Sorry Bamfette. ^_^ :jillian
I love Wither!
Siona
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

De-evolution

Post by Siona »

Originally posted by Deadcell
they had guns doncherknow.and their powers came back once they got into the control room
GUNS? :eek I can't believe Marvel let them do that...WOW.

~Siona
You cannot stop me. You cannot destroy me. For I am the cockroach of looove.

"Ah, young love. Stupid pencils."
-- SheCat.
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

De-evolution

Post by MabusRex »

Originally posted by Melylott
I'sve never read those issues. I wonder what Rogue did...and Cyclops. And Beast....
Rogue: was skiddish around crowds and was trying to free her mother from prison.

Cyclops: "Dead" since he was still merged with Apocalypse at that time (actually JUST happened the issue before)

Beast: Along with Iceman, they were in Genosha as the humans were trying to kill Magneto and his Acolytes and take back rule of the island nation.

And the guns weren't revolvers or anything. They were laser guns. Not THAT much of a stretch in Marvel terms.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

De-evolution

Post by Nandireya »

I always wondered how the hell Chamber survived...he lost have his face and had a big gaping hole in his chest...surely he couldn't survive that if he became human. Or aren't we supposed to notice that?
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

De-evolution

Post by taekwondodo »

Originally posted by Nandireya
I always wondered how the hell Chamber survived...he lost have his face and had a big gaping hole in his chest...surely he couldn't survive that if he became human. Or aren't we supposed to notice that?
Now there's a darn good question. Just one of those things that we're doubtless not suppoosed to notice. He must have re-evolved all his bits too? Bit of a stretch though.
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

De-evolution

Post by MabusRex »

Originally posted by Nandireya
Well, if the prevailing belief that he's just an energy-based being with the remains of his human form on the outside as a "shell", then it's easy to assume he simply returned to normal human form with full chest and mouth. What's a stretch, however, is how that mouth and chest were shattered yet again.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

De-evolution

Post by taekwondodo »

Were any mutants killed when the High Evolutionary made them all humans. I haven't read that arc, but it seems like if say, Kitty was phasing through a wall at the wrong time she could've been killed. Or how about any mutants with powers of flight knocked out of the sky or water breathers drowned??
MabusRex
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

De-evolution

Post by MabusRex »

Originally posted by taekwondodo
Were any mutants killed when the High Evolutionary made them all humans. I haven't read that arc, but it seems like if say, Kitty was phasing through a wall at the wrong time she could've been killed. Or how about any mutants with powers of flight knocked out of the sky or water breathers drowned??
That was actually the basis for a further plotline when Claremont returned to the X-Books in the next story arc. Apparently, there was a whole breed of further advanced mutants called the Neo who had lived in seclusion for centuries. When High Evolutionary's wave hit, many were killed and their society collapsed. Angry, they went out in the world and tried to do mean things, or something.

But as to any ESTABLISHED mutants dying during this time? None that I can think of...
Booker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

De-evolution

Post by Booker »

Well, if Kurt can lose his whole physiology, I guess it's possible for Chamber to regrow a jaw and chest.

I also guess if you were a flying mutant or an aquatic mutant who was using your powers at the time you would have bit the dust as well when wave hit, huh?
Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksman