What exactly draws you to a new comic?

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!

Total votes: 0

Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

The question here is BEFORE you give a new comic series a chance, what draws you to it? What will make you decide to give it a shot? Pick the answer that is MOST IMPORTANT to you. If you pick 'Other' please post and explain.

I'm setting up a pair of polls to attempt semi-scientific research. Please vote in the other one, as well.
viewthread.php?tid=3639
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by SheCat »

I look for them on the net, then see if I like the idea behind it.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well I look for defined characters Chris but once I've found that I look for something else very important. That those characters stay defined. And that they're in groups of people they work well with. (or if it's someone like Spawn) I like to see them alone.
I look for good writers sure but I look for how the writer makes the story complicated for the character but shows resolution. Not sound resolution but enough to make the story move on. Not "well..artie just died gee Bill we better move on." "amen Jake" then "NEST MONTH the SPYSTO returns!" that's not resolution that's an easy way out of a story. I look for old problems coming back but in the sense that they wake up regretting their friends death or wishing they had just killed that one guy. That sort of resolution.
I love strong artowrk but I love artwork that is the character. When I see nightcrawler I like skinny I like smiling even devilishly I like swords and slickhair, curly fine but I don't life fro's. I look for the artist that defines the character. Now everyone has their own style of Wolverine but he's a very hard character to make your own style, so I won't get into him. He has so many points that if you do wrong (hair claws, arm hair, muscles, teeth) you just loose the character. What all this art babble means is that I like to see artists who can make the character theirs without ruining who the character is...get what I'm saying?
Word of mouth...sure if you want to say that I guess if someone says "it was good" I might check it out. ONe thing John Mayer did (at least I beleive it was john mayer) was he played in some bars or cafe's i beleive but he started telling people (more friends) to say to their friends or just random people "oh man that john mayer he's playing at the _____ you should hear him wow!" and those friends tel those friends, so instead of waiting for someone to say "this is a great comic" start your own "this is a great comic". Sure it's self advertisement but I don't see what's wrong with it.
Tell you the truth I'd vote most if not all Christopher, but I'm gonna go with established characters for now.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

This is BEFORE you pick up the book. That's why Defined Characters and Strong Writing ARE NOT options. I'm asking you what draws you to a NEW book that you've never checked out before.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Afraid I have to go with "Strong Artwork"

I just don't pay enough attention to notice word-of-mouth, articles or advertisments.

Both Chuck Austen's War Machine and Runaways I started buying simply because I liked the Cover art.
Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bamf Bunny »

I'll pick up comics based on good reviews in The Comics Journal - arguably that's a combination of word-of-mouth and artwork, since they usually run some sample panels. I'm more likely to buy a book on the strength of the writer's name than the artist's. I'll get pretty much anything Alan Moore writes; I like Bill Willingham too, but only if he's backed with a strong artist.

I often ask friends for recommendations and then pick up an issue of the book to check it out, but that's usually after some discussion - some of my dearest friends read the most Godawful stuff.
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
sevati
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by sevati »

If I heard of a new comic, I would check out the reviews online and such, but the MOST important factor is the artwork. If they artwork sucks, I won't buy it. So strong artwork.
I've left the board. Friends know where to find me :)
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

A few months ago I would have said the artwork, but that has come back to bite me in the butt and I've changed tactics. Picking up a comic for the art just doesn't work too well when it seems like every time I turn around the artists are changing on the books I got into - and so far it hasn't been an improvement. I guess I'm definitely more focused on the characters than anything.
Warbird
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Warbird »

I pretty much ignore word of mouth and reviews. It seems like half the time I dissagree. I usually walk around the comic store for a good long time looking at the art. Then I flip through quickly and see if it looks like it has a good story. That's also based on art since I don't take the time to read any of it. Some time's they're good, sometimes they blow. In any case, I can't break myself from paying attention to the art's first impact when making my selections.
"Sweet crackers I'm blind!!!!" - Stormy
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

word of mouth. if i hear positive things from people i know, and whose opinions i typically agree with, i will likely check it out. i don't care about reviews anymore, though. i've long sinnce discovered their opinion isn't important to me. they're just yet anohter person with yet another opinion, and just because it is an 'official review' doesn't make it any more valid in my eyes.

barring that, it will go something like why i first picked up Y. i hadn't heard a thing about it (this was the day it was released so all the 'OH MY GOD!!!! this is the best comic EVER!!!' comments hadn't hit yet) i just saw #1 on the shelf, picked it up, read a few pages and decided i liked the concept and writing etc. enough to give it a shot.
Bamf Bunny
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Bamf Bunny »

Originally posted by Bamfettei don't care about reviews anymore, though. i've long sinnce discovered their opinion isn't important to me. they're just yet anohter person with yet another opinion, and just because it is an 'official review' doesn't make it any more valid in my eyes.
The reviews I like usually give me a good idea of what the reviewer got out of the comic - either because (like some of the Journal regulars) I've read so much of their stuff, or, better yet, because the review itself discusses how the piece shaped up.

Too many reviews (especially online) are just an overlong plot synopsis interspersed with the equivalent of "this rocks" or "this sucks".
Paulus aber sprach: Ich wünschte vor Gott, es fehle nun an viel oder an wenig, daß nicht allein du, sondern alle, die mich heute hören, solche würden, wie ich bin, ausgenommen diese Bande.
sapphirescimitar
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by sapphirescimitar »

Word of mouth, absolutely.

Because I don't collect comics, I hear about them from friends, who know I don't collect them and for the most part, will never, save an exception or two.

So when I have a friend who suggests I try something, I tell them, "Sure, I'll check it out." Then I have them explain to me what happens and etc., have them get into depth about it, without spoiling it, of course.

I have intentions to try a few comics, but I also have to find time and transportation. :andrew

I don't have anything else that draws me to a comic, except that those I have were free. :toothy
Cocnuts.
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Lauren »

I like to choose new ones according to the name of the artist. Like, if I see Alan Davis is going to be doing art for a new book, I'll give it a try because I love his art, and I know that if the story sucks, At least I'll have good old alan Davis art to look at.
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

sometimes word of mouth or an article about the new comic- then i'll check it out to see if i want to see more of it
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

Word of mouth is by far the most important thing, look how word of mouth can make or break a business, movie, video game, anything. WoM can kill you on the spot or make you the biggest thing ever.
Call me King!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

The last time I tried something new (many years ago heh) it was because I read an article in Wizard and the concept just sounded so cool... AND it was written by a writer I really liked. I put my vote for articles, but writer's name is very important also.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
nightcrawler30
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by nightcrawler30 »

mostly i read an article about it in wizard. or something will catch my eye at the comic book store.
Master of Pupets Pulling your stings twisting your mind and breaking your dreams- Master Of Pupets

The Horsemen are drawing nearer On the leather steeds they ride They have come to take your life.
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

I confess, for me, it is all about catching my eye *curb appeal*. I am probably the most fussy reader out there....if it looks awsome, I'm more likely to give it a second look. Also, I love the style of various writers and am more willing to giver their stuff a look, because it usually entertains. I am nothing, if not self centered in my entertainment habits.

As a creator/Author (but NOT an artist) from my perspective, the best thing that you can give a comic is strong artwork, especially if you are not an established name.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

I usually go by what pops out at me when walking down the aisle at the comic book store. If the art is good or something catches my eye, I'll pick it up. That is the case with all my comic experience except Uncanny XMen. JTHM, Squee, Lenore, etc, all are ones I just picked up and ended up loving...
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by scheherazade »

Definately word of mouth! I've just recently begun actually buying comics, after becoming nostalgic for my childhood spent entranced by the pretty pretty animated serieses. Not knowing where to start, I just randomly picked up a copy of NXM, because the cover was purdy, and the x-men cartoon was one of my favorites *g*. Silly Sche, got completely confused by the plotline, only recognised two characters, and didn't understand what was happening. Only slightly discouraged, I went online to see if I could find out what had happened previously. Ended up talking to a friend, who rolled her eyes at me and told me to buy the Essential X-men so I wouldn't hurt my head.

Er, anyway, It wasn't a new series, (duh) but I was a new reader, and that's how I've got onto all my comics now. (in the oast, it's how I got into Manga too. Well, there's really no other way to find good manga, but I digress)