RIP Julius Schwartz

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Magnetofiend

RIP Julius Schwartz

Post by Paty »

Sad news for comics fans.
I just recieved news that julie Schwartz, one of the biggest names in comics history, has died today of complications of pneumonia.
Julie was one of Dave's first contacts in the comics world and I am sure this sad news will affect him greatly.
Julie was a class act and one of the finest gentlemen i ever met. I did not know him at all compared to many, but I know he will be missed by all comics fans...not only DC fans, but Marvel fans as well.
The comics industry has lost one of it's greats today.
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
Isaac Perlmutter , Alan Fine, Alex Alonso and Nick Lowe at
Marvel Entertainment Inc.
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
:magneto
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

RIP Julius Schwartz

Post by Panz »

This is sad news. My heart goes out to his family and friends.
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

RIP Julius Schwartz

Post by Paty »

:mags:
Yes...I called Dave and told him. He said he knew that Julie had been sick for a while, but not what was ailing him. Julie was apparently eighty nine years old...from what i can gather...and at that age illness can be devestating. Pneumonia is dangerous any time, as Dave well knows, but in the elderly it is often a killer. several new strains have proven resistant to many of the traditional cures lately...and the bacterial pneumonia which nearly killed Dave is on the rise. It used to be a fairly rare problem, but is now showing up all over the New York area. One wonders if it has anything to do with the horrible weather or just that mama nature is finally mutating germs to protect herself from an overabundance of humans.
The person who told me about the sad news was worried about Stan and will Eisner, who are also in their eighties or nineties. I don't know where Eisner is, but Stan is in sunny California...maybe it will keep him healthier than the frigid north east! I have always sworn that Stan will bury us all!

In any event, Julie was one of Dave's most beloved mentors and one of his first contacts in the biz. He was sad when i told him...but glad that i did tell him. He would like to be able to go tothe memorial service they are sure to have but doubts he will be able to do so.

I am sure the news will spread, but if anyone out there on the Legion board wants to post it, my info is that apparently he had gone home from the hospital and he passed away at two thirty a.m. yesterday morning. further news that i just got says it was the bacterial strain of pneumonia... the same kind Dave had. dave is just lucky...and thirty years Julie's junior...and that may be the kicker there.

Anyway, the comics industry has suffered a great loss. Although he had not been recently active in the industry, he was always a guiding presence...and a fun person to talk to and joke around with. John Buscema at one con we were at many years ago just stood there watching Julie walk around with a bevy of young, beautiful girls swirling around him likes honey bees. He turned to me and asked "How does he do it?" i knew exactly what he meant and laughed and told Buscema he was just jealous..and he said "You bet!!!" and we both laughed. and Julie, who had overheard us, laughed too...and told John that he would someday tell him the secret of attracting beautiful women...LOL...But that was no secret...it was just Julie.

Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write support the Claremont Magneto! Cast a vote for complexity in characterization! And write to protest THE USELESS KILLING OF NIGHTCRAWLER !!!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
scheherazade
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

RIP Julius Schwartz

Post by scheherazade »

That is very sad. It is always sobering to hear that someone who has had an influence on so many lives has passed on...
Paty
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

RIP Julius Schwartz

Post by Paty »

Yes... Julie was best known for his contributions to DC...but Marvelites knew him too...he was always at conventions, bringing the class of the older generation to the hustle and bustle of comics today. He was a beloved person to all who worked in the industry and to those who knew him personally.
Julie was a lot like Stan is to the Marvel Universe...the grandfather of it all... The MAN! in charge for sooo long during the rise of the industry. The guy who set the tone and demanded the quality that we found so exciting.
The comics industry is a very tight circle...almost a family. some families revere some of their older members more than others...DC, to my knowledge, always loved and revered Julie.
He will definitely be missed...by his family...by his close friends and by everyone who knew him, enjoyed his work, his humor and his good nature.
Paty
Magneto Rules!
Xavier drools!
Write to :
135 W 50th Street
New York, NY 10020
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

RIP Julius Schwartz

Post by SheCat »

It's very saddening to hear this. I know he will be missed.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

RIP Julius Schwartz

Post by Gaz »

This is very sad news. I send my prayers to his family and friends. RIP.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.