First reports are coming in...

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

Wow... the first day is always kind of a rush. It's so incredibly huge, it's really overwhelming. I've been going every year and I still can't get over how big the convention has become.

Because this was the first day I wasn't too motivated to rush around. I know I'll end up missing something because of this but I have three more days.

I got to see C, Jill and Andy again, which was way cool. Also got to hang with Drew, meet both Amys, and zamweasel, and eavesdrop on a phonecall from Armi. I had the honor of meeting Lisa, and it was quite an experience. She singlehandedly got the Heathen Sent booth news coverage. She's magic, I swear. (At least a part of her is.)

Despite my attempts not to I spent almost half the money I had for the entire convention. I'm so terrible.

Didn't meet anyone famous yet, unless you count Courtney Huddleston, creator of one of my favorite comics Decoy as well as Scott Kurtz from Pvp, Tycho and Gabe from Penny Arcade, and Fred Gallagher from Megatokyo.

Tomorrow I 'spect I'll have more to report as I'll be busy pestering various comic writers and artists and generally being a dorky fanboy.
[spoiler]I hate post whores![/spoiler]
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Hsu
I had the honor of meeting Lisa, and it was quite an experience. She singlehandedly got the Heathen Sent booth news coverage. She's magic, I swear. (At least a part of her is.)
Did she take her top off?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
Hehe, no (un?)fortunately. Though she did adjust herself about 17 million times.
-------------------------------------------------------

Day 2!
So many indie comics... I love independent comics. I respect their creators very much and try to support them whenever possible. I bought a purple thrift store tie with a silk screen of a rabbit on it from a very nice guy publishing a comic strip about a magicial (I handed it off to my sister so have forgotten the name, sorry I'll tell you later) I've met a lot of awesome small comic authors. The people over at Young American Comics kick major ass and got quite a bit of money from me.

To those I promised to buy stuff for, you're probably getting buttons. I think buttons may be the single best selling item besides comic books at the convention. In fact I'd be willing to state that as a fact.

Buttons are the second best selling item at the con, after comics.

Needless to say I have a bunch. Many are free, the rest are cheap, I feel obligated to buy something and many of them are cute and/or funny.

In other news, Dr. Tran is too funny to be legal.

Sorry there's no pictures yet, no idea where the rest of the crew is on the updating process, they have the digital cameras ann will have plenty of pics. Including some rather sweet Nighty costumes.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

HEY HEY! Internet access for all of us! :D

I've got this all set up, so all of the others will be posting soon.

I'm...doing stuff.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

yeah.... we, like, did stuff.... :p me and C have to be up early tomorrow though, so i gotta go. will post more later.

but Zamweasel's costume is just INREDIBLE in person... ;)
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by Hsu
Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
Hehe, no (un?)fortunately. Though she did adjust herself about 17 million times.
But then, Jac wasn't there the whole day ;)

So, I'm having a blast, meeting many many people (Judd!!!!) and it's just been amazing.....but I must share my most amazing story:

I stood on line for about an hour and a half to meet the cast of Freaks and Geeks (well, partial cast) and my one time crush Martin Starr....not only did I meet him (and have him now exactly who I was) but I invited him to dinner....he did not come, but he did CALL ME!!! To say he was sorry for not coming....it was incredible and I may be seeing him again sometime....WOO HOO!!!

Anyway, once I get home, I will be postin many many many pics of me with everyone...(including one of me and Jill with the tiger man!!!!)

PS: Stevie...i got to get a pic with Inuyasha AND Vash :p
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Okay, so 2 and a half days have passed. There is a ridicuous number of people here. Yesterday we walked down to the end of the center and in that probably 1/2 mile, there was at least 20,000 people. IN ONE AISLE.

It was wigging me out, so we went back to our table.

We have to be there early today becaue they told us so, so that's why this entry is coming in at so damned early in the morning.

I bought a Kid Flash shirt, which I'm wearing today. Also bought the complete Bone softcover...all 55 issues of the comic in ONE book for $40. Can't beat that. Of course, the thing weighs a half ton...

But the biggest HOLY SHIT! moment of the convention so far was that I bought two original pages from Exiles drawn by Jim Calafiore. I even got one that has Morph, was drawn by Calafiore, inked by McKenna (who was in the same booth as Calafiore), and written by Chuck...so so far it's signed by Calafiore and McKenna...and today I'mm getting it signed by Chuck. :D!!

Oh, and Zamweasel is all around awesome...but there's something extra cool about walking around town with Nightcrawler. Her costume is so damned good that you tend to forget that it's her in there...

Pictures coming soon!!
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

I wanna see pics of her costume! its the best Nighty costume i've ever seen around :)
Glad to read you're having a great time, guys! keep going like this!
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Per all previous reports, Zam's costume is all around spectacular! She's pretty darn cool as a blue-haired rebel pilot too, when she's on the clock for Lucasfilm. :)

We only managed the one day - yesterday - but it was well worth the price of admission. Snagged Zam as she was getting off with Lucasfilm and went up with her to watch her get the costume on, which was pretty cool, especially for my ten year old, who got a pair of spare blue ears and a blue airbrush job to be Nocturne with a bad bleach job growing out.;) Made her a very happy camper, not to mention wandering around with MovieKurt and ComicKurt all afternoon. One of the high points for her was definitely the photographer from Cartoon Network who came up to take photos of Zam doing her make-up as well as Amy's ComicKurt and Jess (with just the blue ears and a black hair net at that point....)

Zam has to be one of the - if not the - most photographed costumes there. We had times when we couldn't even go ten feet! And wandering around downtown with her in costume's pretty cool too, both for the people who react and the amazing number of desperately jaded people who don't. Can't wait to see the pics. I forgot my camera so I took vast numbers of pics with hers.

Spectacular day.

Oh, also got really cool Heathen Sent tee-shirts and ordered a whole bunch of Excalibur's for half price w/no shipping from Milehigh. The comics was the other high point for my thoroughly corrupted Kurt-junky kid. She's up to issue 41 in a continuous string now. (And I won't say no to reading them when she's done. :))
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

Yeah... I saw Zam and gang walking by when I was with my sisters, but couldn't stop. There was another Movie Crawler there who had a pretty good costume but Zam's blew his away.

I can no longer hang out with my famikly, they take up too much time. :P
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
PS: Stevie...i got to get a pic with Inuyasha AND Vash :p

GAH you suck! :p
Call me King!
LoneWolf21
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by LoneWolf21 »

I sort went all over the place with my cousin. Got to meet a couple of creators (The Dephillips of New Mutants/New X-Men, Judd Winnick, Geoff Johns, among others).

I also ran an errand for Jill and Chris, I got them a Loki comission done by Chris Giarusso (Marvel's Bull-pen bits and mini marvels)
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

Ok ok ok, you guys are making me all teary-eyed for not being able to go to this con:( I'm not too sure if I can keep reading this thread!! J/K :P

I know from our little family discussions here on this site that Zams work has got to look astonishing in person. Please, take lots of photos and get video, I MUST SEE VIDEO!!! :)

I wish everyone well at the con and a safe trip home when the time comes.

NWKurt
Let us try to live our lost illusions....They're the sun at night.....If we don't, we'll never taste.....The spice of life!
~Enigma~ Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi! The Prism Of Life
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by LoneWolf21
I sort went all over the place with my cousin. Got to meet a couple of creators (The Dephillips of New Mutants/New X-Men, Judd Winnick, Geoff Johns, among others).

I also ran an errand for Jill and Chris, I got them a Loki comission done by Chris Giarusso (Marvel's Bull-pen bits and mini marvels)
I got a T-bird/Nocturne pic from Chris Giarusso today, and I gave him a kiss on the cheek...(instead of a punch...sttrange story)...C got a pic of Yorick and Ampersand from him, which I am way jealous of too..... It's been good today...

And I don't suck, Stevie....I blow :naughty
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

I really need my Giarusso pic. The problem is, most of the characters I'd want him to draw are already simple and cartoony, which defeats the purpose. I'll try to get my hands on something obscure and horribly detailed and ask for that.

Oh! Remember when I told you I got a characature from this guy in LA who did me as Nightcrawler? He's this guy who does superhero Characatures and he's at the Con over in Artists Alley. I think we should get all of us as a different team member and have it be all sweet.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

We should so do that jack!! I wanna be TJ (duh :p)

About the detailed characters...Chris was practically in hell trying to capture Thunderbird in his style....it was so cute because I had to basically coach him through it.....but it was way fun...
Panz
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Red Queen

Post by Panz »

Did any of you catch the X panel with Claremont? I know that most of you think he is a stuck-up pig-headed waffle muncher ( or something of the like) but what did he say? I'm SOOOOOOOOOO pissed that I missed him and the entire con .

can any one spill the details...please :puppy
Panz

Wallowing in the deepest pits of melodrama
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Post by NightPoofer »

I was overwhelmed by all the things they had in the convention. I was lured (for a while) by the games that you could play and all the free stuff! (YEAH! Free Stuff!) I was only there for a day, but just by walking around for a little bit, I got to go three bags full of free stuff! SCORE! :LOL

I was kinda lost through most of the convention, and by the time I had finally found the Press Pavilion... it was time to go! With everyone shoving me to try to get me out of there... :LOL I didn't get to see any of you! (I might of, just didn't know it was you) Well... Maybe Next Year?