Legends from Darkwood

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Legends from Darkwood

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I've only got the fourth issue of the first (four issue) mini from Antarctic Press, but damn is it good.

Basic premise is that a town hits on the idea of hunting unicorns for food. I guess. There isn't much of that in the issue I have, I got it from reviews. The final issue is a unicorn's revenge on the town, and.. it's just too funny. You can't put it into words. Or I can't. It's "American Manga" or whatever, the humour is very visual. I'm not usually a manga fan, because I find it too juvenile.... (and this coming from ME, I honestly wonder about grown people who actually like it... anyway...) but I LOVE this. The first couple pages were enough to get me hooked enough to take it home.

The first issue is online... but it's not even close in awesomeness to the fourth. It's mostly draggy set-up with a few good scenes.

Has anyone else read this? Is it worth hunting down the trade? Or is the final issue the only bit worth reading?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Legends from Darkwood

Post by Bamfette »

AP put trades out in a 'Pocket Manga' format, like Marvel's 'Marvel Age' books (except they were actually putting them out BEFORE Marvel was...) so they are only $10.00. (US.... not sure what the cover price is in Canada)Legends of Darkwood is black and white, so i dunno why it is not cheaper, but there you go. still not a lot of money for the story....

I have only read the first issue online. seemed good, but i never followed up on it, though i have heard good things about it since... i find AP's single issues to be a bit expensive, so if you were gonna get it, i would say go for the trade. http://antarctic-press.com/html/store/t ... cket_1.htm
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Legends from Darkwood

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Well... I got my issue from the quarter bin so the cost wasn't too bad. Though if I skip on the first issue, it's cheaper to get singles if I can find them.

I'll probably ask the shop to order a copy of the trade for me then. Just wasn't impressed, at all, with the first issue online. I want more like the fourth issue, if 2-3 is like the first one I don't really want it. Image
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
LoneWolf21
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Legends from Darkwood

Post by LoneWolf21 »

In got my copy of the pocket manga in San Diego at the Con, and even got it signed by the creators. Absolutely hilarious stuff, I think.