Female Characters That We Hate???

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

Hi as a follow up to my previous questionnaire (topic=i need some feedback please), I just thought I'd find out if there were any female characters that were hugely unsuccessful or unpopular. I don't want to repeat the mistakes of the past.
So could you (male or female) type down any female characters that you can't stand and why? note: they don't have to be from superhero comics, they could be from any genre, possibly any medium...just so long as you dislike them.

You get to release some negative energy and I get help with my uni project; everybody wins. YAY!!!
I'm the best there is at what I do...
...no wait,
...that's someone else.

*ANYTHING STATED IN THE ABOVE POST IS MERELY THE OPINION OF MYSELF: UNLESS SUPPORTED BY FACTS/SOURCES ETC*
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

I gererally dislike Rogue.Here we have a character that is nigh-invincible, super strong, and sassy...and she has only one weakness: Skin to skin contact.

So of course, she dresses like this:

My biggest problem is not with the character at all, though. It's that no one seems to know what to do with her.

They want her to be sexy.
To be lonely.
To be powerful.
To be strong.

And then they go about it all wrong. The thing is that ALL of that is already built into the character. You don't have to smack us in the face with it to "explore" it.

And don't even get me started on the gambit/rogue assumption.

I fucking HATE assumption.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Warning: looooonnnngggggg ramble ahead.... :oops:

My complaints will travel along a similar vein as C's. Most of my problems with "annoying characters", male or female, are not so much the nature of the characters as the inconsistant way they're portrayed. This can be an inherent problem in long-running series, when every new writer has a different idea of how to express things, but certain characters seem to suffer more from this than others. Here are three off the top of my head:

Amanda Sefton

At first, I didn't have a problem with her at all. She was Kurt's girlfriend, she was incredibly tolerant, she had magical abilities, and she loved him enough to risk Hell to save him (even if that Hell was a simulacrum). What's not to like?

(Well, I didn't really think about that whole "foster sibling" relationship thingy very much, but in retrospect it was a little bit creepy. It was made more palatable by having Amanda the one actively seeking Kurt out, but now that I've heard about entirely too many Japanese Hentai games that feature you having sex with your FOSTER [wink wink] sister... um... I'm just gonna leave this little problem alone.)

But in the fall out of that whole Beyonder fiasco of the 80s, someone decided that Amanda had to go, so she suddenly up and left Kurt during his time of deep personal crisis. Um... excuse me...? What the HELL were they thinking?! This didn't just make Amanda look like a capricious bitch, it made her into a "non-entity" for me. Her reaction was so obviously contrived for someone's personal plot purposes that I could no longer relate to her as a serious character.

Things never recovered from that boneheaded manuevering. The way she showed up in Excalibur, deliberately rekindled the romance, then suddenly dropped out of existance, then reappeared, then disappeared.... Well, it's no wonder Kurt's stand-offish. (That bit with Margali didn't help, but more on that later.) Their relationship has been strained (if not poisoned) beyond all hope of anything but being "friendly exes". What was once a good character, with decent abilities, background, and so on, has been twisted by the whims of a series of writers who apparently figured they could do what they wanted because she wasn't a "core" character.

Margali

This has always annoyed me, perhaps because of what little I know about her. My first exposure to her was in Xmen Annual #4, where she managed to hunt down Kurt and tried to extract revenge for Stephan's death. When she realized the depth of her mistake, she forgave Kurt, kissed him, called him her son, and even said they had a lot of catching up to do.

But none of that motherly love ever made a return.

For the entire time that I read Uncanny (1978 to 1989), the closest I came to seeing Margali again was when Amanda once mentioned "Mother could reduce that [Sentinel] to slag with a gesture....", and this was waaaaaaayyyyy back in Uncanny 152. Where was this "catching up"? Brief mention of it could have been dropped anywhere in the series, yet it was forgotten. Years go by, and the next thing I hear, Margali has released a demon on London, killed hundreds of people, and switched bodies with her daughter to fool Kurt into freeing her from Belasco. Jesus! From loving (if vengeful) mother to a selfish, power mad butcher who subjects her daughter to torture to save her own skin?? I know she got pissed at Amanda and encased her in/turned her to ice in Xmen Annual 4, but this is ridiculous! I repeat: what the HELL?

Rachel

Okay, this is a kind of "love-hate" thing, to be sure. I started collecting Xmen with 145, right after Rachel's introduction, but they explained where she came from pretty well, so I didn't miss it much. The problem was her mental instability, which manifested as constant whinyness. I. Hate. Whiners. Even if it's understandable, I just don't care for whining.

She left under Spiral's spell, then reappeared in Excalibur as a much richer character. I liked her then. She wasn't perfect, but she was competant for the first time. And I'm not talking about powers or pulling her own weight in a fight. She was always capable of that. However, her personality was now suited to working with other people.

And now she's back... and now no one knows what to do with her. (Shades of Rogue, there....) On the one hand she's got gobs of power at her fingertips, but on the other she seems ridiculously easy to take by surprise, hotheaded to the point of instability, and to be suffering from a case of "writer-induced amnesia", forgetting all the growth she went through in Excalibur. I know she's uber-powerful, guys... but can't we figure out a way to make stories with her interesting and keep her brain intact?

In short, I really need writers to be transparent. I shouldn't even realize they're there until I finish, then reflect on what I've seen. I shouldn't rear back with a "What the hell were they thinking when they wrote that?" in the middle of the page. When characters are written in the manner I've described, they make it impossible to suspend disbelief, and it drops me right out of the illusion.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

One more time :
"There aren't bad characters, there only are bad writers."
(Alan Moore)

For instance, I like Amanda Sefton and Margali, even though their role was stupid during Warren Ellis and Scott Lobdell's runs, 'cause I think one could build great stories with them both.

Really, I don't dislike any women characters... Honest !

The one thing is that you have to stay true to them.
You can't build something for months and then go in the opposite direction WITHOUT a solid explanation. It's the problem of mainstream comics : a writer tells a story about character X, and a few months later, another writer tells a story where character X isn't the same at all.
But you won't have this kind of problems with your creations IF you know, from the very beginning, who they are and what they want.
Of course, there is EVOLUTION, but it takes time to do it well...

Huh, I don't know if it helps at all, but, as a (amateur) writer, it's the way I feel...
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Emma Frost...and it's got nothing to do with the fact that she got Scott Summers to commit adultery…never cared much for him or Jean either…there’s just something about her that erks me…she was the main reason I dropped New X-Men…her and the fact I simply didn’t care for the writing…

Hmmm…

Maybe I don’t hate Emma…maybe I just didn’t like that version of her? I didn’t hate her when she was a bad guy…I didn’t hate her in Generation X

Well…any way…I DO hate her now!
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

Scott Summers.

ZING!

:LOL
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Marrow.. well first i thought she was a cool character, and she had potential, but the way she was displayed went wrong, she was good being all ugly, bitter and mean, then suddenly she turned all pretty and developed a crush for gambit.. now i don't know what happened to her and i don't care.
[quote]Originally posted by Nandireya
Emma Frost...and it's got nothing to do with the fact that she got Scott Summers to commit adultery…
[/quote]

How it can be adultery? Jean was dead...

[quote]Originally posted by Gaz
Scott Summers.

[/quote]

I thought we were discussing female characters?
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

[quote]Originally posted by kurtlover
Emma Frost...and it's got nothing to do with the fact that she got Scott Summers to commit adultery…
[/quote]

How it can be adultery? Jean was dead...[/quote]

I dropped New X-Men and I don't fancy digging the issues I do have out of storage to check...but I'm sure it started before she died...isn't there's a pic at the end of one issue where Jean walks in on them? I think it's a three-way telepathic raport in Scott's head...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I thought we were discussing female characters?
Gaz was joking, that's what Zing meant

I can't really think of an X-woman I hate... maybe Magma or some other character who has no place in my life:LOL
hellbound
Lubber
Lubber

Post by hellbound »

jubile !!! (like i can spell)
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Marrow.

What started as a stupid concept for a villain died and came back as an even more absurd X-Men member. With a mutant "power" about as useful as extreme hemophilia, and a penchant for killing mobs of innocent people so she can leave messages with their mangled bodies, Marrow somehow returns from having her bomb-rigged heart torn out and becomes a "troubled teen" with a "dark past"

Then she joins the X-Men, despite hating them all, and not being especially wanted. As a member of the team, she spits in the face of everyone at every chance and constantly wines about how none of them know what it's like to look different. (Even after Nightcrawler comes back from Europe)

Cut to Alan Davis returning, not knowing what to do with this... this... thing, and changing her so she won't sing her one-note persecution song and have powers that might be more useful to the team than an ordinary human with a dull knife.

Sadly, once you take away the stupid and annoying things about Marrow, there's really nothing left. She has a lame quasi-romance with Gambit, gets thrown in the background for a while, and finally falls into obscurity where she should have stayed in the first place.
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Banned

Post by Winged Outlaw »

Storm. In every appearance, she comes across as a stuck up holier-than-thou bitch, and it gets very tiring. And god help you if she's in a book that Claremont is writing. Suddenly she'll be the unbeatable warrior princess/queen team leading team destroying powerhouse with more "Goddesses" than you can possibly ignore. She's not as overexposed as Wolverine, but she's not interesting enough to dominate the amount of time she usually gets in a Claremont book.
Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

female characters i dont like
Amanda Sefton
Marrow- there was just something i didnt like about her, i remember
the issue where she & wolverine got into a fight & i think she stabbed
him in the neck
A:newangel- her powers are just gross,
Meggan- i dont completely hate her, its just the earlier issues of
excalibur where they wrote her as a doormat to captain britain,
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.
hellbound
Lubber
Lubber

Post by hellbound »

Originally posted by Winged Outlaw
Storm. In every appearance, she comes across as a stuck up holier-than-thou bitch, and it gets very tiring. And god help you if she's in a book that Claremont is writing. Suddenly she'll be the unbeatable warrior princess/queen team leading team destroying powerhouse with more "Goddesses" than you can possibly ignore. She's not as overexposed as Wolverine, but she's not interesting enough to dominate the amount of time she usually gets in a Claremont book.
i thought pretty much the same , but she's all right in ultimate x-men (you catch that?) .
B A M F !
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by B A M F ! »

Originally posted by Maelstrom
In short, I really need writers to be transparent. I shouldn't even realize they're there until I finish, then reflect on what I've seen. I shouldn't rear back with a "What the hell were they thinking when they wrote that?" in the middle of the page. When characters are written in the manner I've described, they make it impossible to suspend disbelief, and it drops me right out of the illusion.
Well said.

Forgive me but at the moment I honestly cant think of a particular female character that I truly loathe.
The above quote reminds me that quite often a skilled writer can actually make me curious about a character (female or otherwise) that I previously had little or no interest in. Case in point.....although I didnt like some of the places he was going while he was on the X-books, the WHITE QUEEN didnt really become interesting to me until GRANT MORRISON got a hold of her.

B A M F !
Tonks Kittygoth
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Tonks Kittygoth »

First.
Stacy X was the most loathsome character I ever saw in Xmen. She was nasty manipulative vindictive and just a b*&%h.
(Sweety, it is very rude to jump naked on priests, even if they are still priestlings.)

Second.
In Defence of Amanda Sefton.
If you go back and read the Beyonder story, Kurt was sulking out on the balcony, and she tried to get him to talk. She made it clear that she was trying to get through to him for awhile, but he wasnt emotionaly available for her.

(I have had depressive relationships, and sorry, you can Not always be the strong one, sometimes it just is too much. Kurt has a deffinate dark side as far as I can tell, and for all his flirtations, He would be a diffucult man to have a real realationship with.)

Then like a big girl she had to go to work.
If I remember right, the next time we see them interact was when he was nearly, and too most civilians, killed in the mutant masacere.
He woke up in London, not knowing where he was or what the hell was going on, and it is feasable that no one told Manda where he was.

I dont remember seeing him call her... write her, anything, then he is smootching with the bird chick.

As far as leaving after the Margli thing. She took responsibility for a Demension of Hell.

She is a woman with responsibilities and the personal strength to see them through. Kurt could have stayed with her. Again, did they ever break up, or did he just go all flighty and decide to be a priest?
Whatever.

Anyways I like her. She is strong enough to put up with a difficult moody man, take on real resposibilities in her life, and manage both with style. As I said in another post, she has cajones.
Whatever doesnt kill you, makes you stronger. - Marcus Aurelius
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Well, that Amanda and Kurt had that kind of relationship to begin with was just plain wrong.
I don't like Emma, but I think most of the people that write her don't mean us to. She's supposed to be a snobbish, manipulative, and altogether snobbish sort, right?
But I agree. Most characters I dislike, I don't really dislike them, per se, I just think they are victims of writing that doesn't suit them.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Confizzle »

Hmmm... I'm not sure, I'm not a big fan of Jean, I mean I began to think for a while there that if you kill her two would take her place :lol

Emma I'd like her better if she were with someone else besides Scott

Meggan should have gone for Kurt in Excalibur instead of the drunk.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by Angelique
Well, that Amanda and Kurt had that kind of relationship to begin with was just plain wrong.
Well, that depends on your perspective. To define it as something illegal or morally wrong, you'd have to figure out exactly what the relationship between them is... a Sisyphean task at best. ;)
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
prettyminotaur
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by prettyminotaur »

Emma Frost and Stacy X are my least favorites. I also don't like the way Husk has developed...she's too preppy/well-adjusted for someone who rips their skin off and leaves it lying around. Oh, and M. I've always hated M.
Bamf, suckas!
kurt_the_quick
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by kurt_the_quick »

Emma Frost. I know she's supposed to be a bitch, be GEEZ.
[quote]Originally posted by kurtlover
[/quote]

How it can be adultery? Jean was dead...[/quote]

I dropped New X-Men and I don't fancy digging the issues I do have out of storage to check...but I'm sure it started before she died...isn't there's a pic at the end of one issue where Jean walks in on them? I think it's a three-way telepathic raport in Scott's head... [/quote]
yeah, the affair started long before Jean died. Jean confronted Emma over it, kinda going dark, but kept herself reigned in enough.

[quote]Originally posted by Crawler
I gererally dislike Rogue.Here we have a character that is nigh-invincible, super strong, and sassy...and she has only one weakness: Skin to skin contact.

So of course, she dresses like this:
[img]http://www.esbornia.com.br/mutacao/espe ... 45xB36.jpg[/img]

[/quote]
to be fair, she was dressed like that because she was being all angsty, running around the country with Iceman and trying to behave like other women can.
Cibo
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Cibo »

I think from the first panel on I ever read about Emma Frost I disliked her. Iit's like her main purpose is to provide the fanboys with some blond, half- naked bitch to drool about.
@Crawler
I agree with you about Rogue.
She's too damn strong, sort of the Supergirl of the X-Men. And at the same time she has to be "tragic" constantly.
I prefer the Ultimate Rogue and I pray they keep her the way she is without any Miss Marvel powers.

Any characters apart from Marvel?
Sae from the Peach Girl Manga/Anime. Such a mean bitch. To know her is to hate her.
And of course Chibiusa from the Sailor Moon Anime. One of the most annoying comic characters EVER. (Though she is much more tolerable in the manga.)
And I don't like Desire from Neil Gaiman's Sandman. But now you could discuss if he/she/it even belongs in a thread about most hated female characters.:D
And now there's life/ And a chance to make up for all those mistakes/ But please don't get me wrong/ Cos everything was honest/ True and from the heart/ There's still the same old hang ups so don't fret/ It's not safe yet/ And who knows there's always time to screw up again
The Cooper Temple Clause
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

Kitty and Rachel. I liked them in early Excalibur, but nowadays, I just feel that if I ever met them in a reality bending situation, I would have to stop myself from slapping them.
fallacy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by fallacy »

for me hmmmm...

rachel, i never understand why it´s so important to create her :?

same necessary to marrow (as longer she´s there, so childisher she is), and nearly all other new students at mutant high :-/

grüssle alex
grüsse alex
BlueVelvet14
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BlueVelvet14 »

:siryn I never liked her. What's the point of creating a female Banshee? He's awsome, she sucks. End of story!

:jubilee Her power sucks

Personally, I think creating female characters of existing male characters is dumb(:nocturne except for her. She's awsome!)