Harry Potter... (spoilerific)

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Originally posted by Bamfette
did you know, Steven Spielberg was up for directing duties on the first one, but Rowling vetoed him because he wanted to cast Haley Joel Osment? (not vetoed Osment specifically, but she wanted an all British cast) I think Radcliffe is a far better fit....
Ooo... You haven't discovered the joy that is www.jkrowling.com!!
(The flash site is neat and there's a text only version too)

She debunks rummors that frequently pop up including that one.

She also gives some neat insight into things that are never mentioned in the books. Like Nearly Headless Nick had a song about how he became nearly headless that got edited out.

Also Crookshanks is actually half cat and half Kneazle.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

whoopsie :oops

actually, i have been to hersite, but obviously i didn't get around to reading everything that was there :P

and if i ever get a Calico Devon.... so naming it Kneazle. the description fits the breed almost perfectly.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

did anyone see the newest trailer yet? It's even better than the last one.. http://mugglenet.com/ .. it's below the Katie Leung interview..
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

and if i ever get a Calico Devon.... so naming it Kneazle. the description fits the breed almost perfectly.
Heh. I've had two "Potter pets".

I've never kept a reptile and I want to learn more about them so I got a snake from a member of the Herp club at the vet school. His name is "Salazar".

Last year in Anatomy, my dissection speciman was a monster orange tom cat so his name obviously had to be "Crookshanks". Okay, it's kind of stretching it calling a big dead cat in formaldahyde a pet, but I was kind of sad to see Crookshanks go at the end of the semester.

-e
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Finally!! I FINALLY finished my copy of Half Blood Prince, and can now enjoy reading this thread and the (no longer) spoilers therein!

I had read an oblique spoiler (in a up-and-coming news bit about the Goblet of Fire movie, of all things) about the end of Dumbledore in this book. Basically, the reviewer said something about what a PR nightmare for Hogwarts it must be to have your headmaster killed by one of the faculty. Considering everyone there, and especially once I saw Snape take the Unbreakable Vow, it was pretty obvious what was going to happen....

Still, believe it or not, I cried when I read it. I was reading the book aloud to my husband (who has terrible dyslexia and can't read very well), and I had to stop a few times to regather my voice's strength. :cry

I, also, am of two minds about Snape. He's unreadable. A very complex puzzle. You just can't tell what side he's on.

He's obviously a sadistic bastard who plays favorites. (This is the kind of abusive manager who keeps turnover rate at the local office obscenely high.) He delights in putting down students from other houses, artificially inflating Slytherin's standing. He's an acknowledged Death Eater with "anti-muggle" tendencies (imagine a nasty teacher in the deep south who used the "N" word a lot), and his borderline psychotic aggression towards Harry strains all boundries of belief. He made a vow to kill Dumbledore, and he is still in Voldemort's confidence. He turned Sirius over to the Ministry (to have the Dementors devour his soul!) when he surely knew the man was innocent. He could be just a complete heel, taking everyone in while plotting Dumbledore (and, by association, The Order's) downfall.

or....

He could also have killed Dumbledore on his D's own orders, previously arranged in case Malfoy failed. (Notice that Harry partially overheard a heated argument between Snape and Dumbledore earlier on? If D gave Snape such an order, how do you think Snape would react? ;) )Dumbledore has been clearly set up as one who thinks well ahead, and would willingly chose martyrdom rather than cause anyone harm. And he inspires complete loyalty in those who follow him, to the point of following orders that seem sure will lead to his death. As transparently evil as Snape acts, in the end he has generally done the right thing.

And for all the similarities he has to the Big V (self-aggrandizement, lust for power, etc.), Snape has the capacity to love. He obviously cares very much for Malfoy, even if he has no decent way of showing it.

So either we're going to have the worst traitor of all time, or someone so loyal (and, dare I say it, selfless) that he's willing to be SEEN as the worst traitor of all time, even to be killed by the people he's serving, just to make sure V goes down. And we've got hints pointing both ways. :scratch

As an aside, one of the people who I feel the most sorry for in all this is Slughorn. The poor shit. His social skills are lacking, and he tends to enjoy power and influence too much, but despite his selfish streak he has a decent heart. Now he's had TWO favored students go horribly wrong under his tuteledge. Can you imagine how dreadful he feels by now?:urg
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

whoa, spoiler hack stopped working.... will have to look into that....

anyway. i had a new idea about Snape, which may point to him being as evil as he acts. or, on the other hand, could be him trying in a misguided way to save a life...

ok, remember in Order of the Phoenix when Harry saw Snape's memories of his dad and Lily? well, it was obvious that Snape had feelings for Lily... on the surface, it appears the scene is supposed to show why he felt so strongly about James and by extension Harry. but what if it was a clue to something more....

Dumbledore said Voldemort never had any feelings for anyone, the people he surrounds himself with are just there to further his own ends. He also is not above killing anyone for any reason. he also apparently had no real prior connection with the Potters, and Lily in particular. so, given all that, why did he give her the choice, and not James, to live? Could it be that one of his followers had known his intentions to kill the Potters and asked that Lily be spared? if so, was it an attempt to save a life in a situationhe knew he could not prevent anyway, or, and this seems likely in the light that he was the one who passed the prophecy along to Voldemort, so in reality could have prevented the entire incident, he wanted Lily to himself?
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Snape didn't know who the prophecy was made out to until Voldemort killed the Potters though; He didn't care until he found out Voldemort tried to kill people he knew..
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

he had to know they were targets though. Voldemort didn't make a secret of the fact that he was going to kill the Potters, or they wouldn't have been under such heavy (albeit flawed) protection. they knew they were in mortal danger, it stands to reason that Voldemorts followers knew who he was going to kill.
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BAMFCentral »

I'm still waiting for the dragon slayer moment to occur....

Yeah know wizard dies young wizard finds a lake of fire....

Its probably all a rouse rose ruse... however u spell it. D isn't really dead it was just an elaborate illusion.

On a side note... Did anyone else have issues with the story flow? I didn't like the book as much as it's predecessors. Keep thinking on it and it finally dawned on me as to what my problem was. Harry seemed to comfortable with his wizard world.. there really didn't seem to be any mystery for him as there was before. Or I just was waiting so long for the book that my expectation wasn't reached... But I think its more the former
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

That's right.. I completely forgot they were in hiding..:doh! Then again, Dumbledore heard the Prophecy so he could've warned both the Potters and the Longbottoms and had them both in hiding..
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

oh, right....

still, though. why would Voldemort even give Lily the chance to live?
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Maybe it's in bad taste to kill a woman with magic.. much like how criminals have limits such as killing children, maybe Dark Wizards have rules against killing women or something..
Garble
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Garble »

Originally posted by BAMFCentral
I'm still waiting for the dragon slayer moment to occur....

Yeah know wizard dies young wizard finds a lake of fire....

Its probably all a rouse rose ruse... however u spell it. D isn't really dead it was just an elaborate illusion.
Yeah, I'm of two minds about that.

On one hand, JK likes to be dark, and the whole end of OotP was about making Harry accept that despite all the magic in the world, death is still a part of life and the living have to move on. So to stay true to that idea, it seems likely that D is really gone.

On the other... I really have a hard time imagining a whole Harry Potter book without Dumbledore. He's always been a big (if not always present) part of the books. In much the way that Voldermort represents everything that's evil about the wizarding world, Dumbledore represents everything that's good. Plus, Harry just isn't ready to defeat Voldermort without Dumbldore's guidance. Even together, they barely failed to retrieve one Hocrux. It seems unlikely Harry will be able to get the rest of them and figure out how to destroy them.

At the very least, I expect Dumbledore to pull some sort of Obi-wan and give Harry advice even if he can't be there. Maybe Harry will talk to his animated portrait in the headmaster(mistress)'s office or there could be a vial of Dumbledore's memories left for Harry using the pensive. Maybe JK will come up with some brand new method for D to give Harry guidance.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Dumbledore providing Harry new tips to finding the Horcruxes would be a great idea.. amybe Harry could inherit a few books from Dumbledore's library about finding and destroying Horcruxes, along with a few memories and the Pensieve.. I'm also hoping Harry will fix and use the two-way mirrors Sirius gave him with Ron or Hermione.. maybe he could find the other one, along with Slytherin's item (Horcrux) after leaving the Dursley's home and going to 12 Grimmauld Place before going back to Hogwarts..
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

I was also left wondering about D's portrait. Although we've never seen anyone actually ask for council from a picture, we have gotten pertinent information sometimes (i.e. the Fat Lady fingering Sirius as the guy who attacked her). While photographs capture a few seconds of time in a repeating image, it's almost as if the portraits are a form of horcrux, imbued with a consciousness of their own. And they're obviously prepared in advance: we're never told about an empty frame in D's office, yet after his demise we're seeing him snoozing in one, and no mention of another protrait having vanished to make room.

This could be a Dragonslayer/LoTR moment in the making: the wizard seeming to be dead, yet coming back at a pertinent point. But somehow I doubt it. Rowling has made it pretty clear that death is death is death. Unless you choose to be a ghost, you're gone. From what I can tell, she's of the belief that anything different would cheapen the sacrifice.

However, that doesn't mean D won't have other ways to guide Harry. Writings, memories, perhaps a little something from the protrait now and then. Just not as much as if D was really there. Campbell's "heroic formula" is very much at work here (thanks for bringing it out, Jill: I'd forgotten about it. :) ) In any case, we'll have to wait for a few years to see whether Harry does use the pensieve to go through a library of D's memories. While I love the idea, considering how memories seem to be "dumped" into the pensieve, would they only be one-shots? Are they somehow "retrieved" from the water afterwards in a process we haven't yet seen?

For your amusement:

*One of my friends (older than me, but sometimes very childish) went into the library the other day and asked for any book that DIDN'T end like "the Half-Blood Prince". Let's just say he was angry about it... :whistle

*A critic in the San Francisco Chronicle also felt that it wasn't Rowling's best work, said so, and found himself inundated by angry mail from young Harry fans. In one of his follow-up columns, he went back to his critique of Half Blood Prince, restated his reasons why he though it wasn't her best, reminded everyone that "not her best" doesn't mean "sucks horribly".... And then stated that his faith in the world had been restored, because all those angry letters meant that a book had taken such a hold of pre- to teenagers' imaginations that they were willing to write him to defend it.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Originally posted by Maelstrom
In any case, we'll have to wait for a few years to see whether Harry does use the pensieve to go through a library of D's memories. While I love the idea, considering how memories seem to be "dumped" into the pensieve, would they only be one-shots? Are they somehow "retrieved" from the water afterwards in a process we haven't yet seen?
I'm pretty sure the memories can be retrieved, but Dumbledore just never did it in front of Harry.. Dumbledore saw all the memories (with the exception of the one Harry got) before he showed them to Harry, so there must be a way for him to seperate the memories and put them back in their jars..
Garble
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Garble »

The memories are reuseable. Remember Dumbledore looked over Slughorn's memory several times. It was even kind of worn out from frequent use (or possibly because Slughorn had altered it).
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

It was probably worn out due to Slughorn's attempts to keep his mistake serious.. I doubt a memory in itself could be worn out dur to overuse.. I'd imagine it'd stay just as fresh and clear as always, whether it's being viewed for the first time or the Hundredth..
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

http://music.aol.com/artist/main.adp?ta ... mid=802181

movie soundrtack score available to be listened to in its entirety :)

frankly, though, i'm a little bit disappointed. It's not bad.... it's got some nice bits, and i am sure it will set the mood for whatever scenes the tracks accompany, but overall, i think it's... kinda generic. which wouldn't be so bad, if the first 3 weren't SO distinctive and memorable. they kept the melody from the previous movies in a couple songs, but... enh. where it borrowed form John Williams are the some of the only places that are kinda catchy :P

I really like movie theme music. I have a ton of movie soundtracks. and what i like about my favourites, is that they give the movie an identity through sound. you can listen to one track and know what movie (or series of movies) it came from. it will bring the movie back to you. John Williams did that with the first 3 movies. they had a quirky, magical, innocent feel to them. as the kids are growing up, it should as well, but i think it should still retain an identity, especially for a movie with strong fantasy elements. but i can't even remember how Voldemort's theme goes, really, and i just listened to it... but i can hum Hedwig's theme from the first 3, easy. or atleast the core bit. it's not even so much the tune, it's a distinctive sound.... the first 3 had those bells, maybe not every track, but many of them, and if you heard them, you were in instant HP land. LotR, very distinct, old sounding. Sin City, very distinctive dirty, low sound, donnie Darko, Fight Club... STAR WARS! etc.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

13 clips from the movie have been released on this site http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/ ..Most of them are pretty cool.. I can't wait until this movie comes out (Just over 20 days left!)
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Omfg, im speechless. After seeing The Goblet Of Fire tonight. I have nothing agaisnt potter movie series anymore. I mean the movie was so, so, so great.
I have read the book and yes they cutted the story a bit. But still the length was 2,5h :P
Only thing i didnt like about was Mad-eye (moody, was it?). He was against my picture of the character inbook. This was the best probably because this movie was more mature etc. then the first three. And omg was there so much good looking chicks in the movie too. Gosh. i loved that film really.
It was so good adaption. Now i have a feeling i want to read the 3 new parts of potter. (ive read only the first 4). Man am i waiting for the guld of fenix.
Tyros
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tyros »

I enjoyed the new movie a lot as well, but i just don't think it was as good as the third (though that might have to do with the fact that the third is my favorite of the books).
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Alkuperäinen postittaja Tyros
I enjoyed the new movie a lot as well, but i just don't think it was as good as the third (though that might have to do with the fact that the third is my favorite of the books).
For me only thing that was better in the 3th one was Gary Oldman, they only showed him once in the 4th movie and that was a special effect :P
Tyros
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tyros »

I just think the look and the camera angles and all that were much more interesting in the third....but thats not to say that I did not like the 4th, I just think the third one was better done.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Christ. I read my copy of the Half Blood Prince few weeks ago.
It was bloody brilliant i finished it off in something like four days. (usually i finish books in few weeks) The book was really good. Five to ten pages an i was hooked in the world of Harry Potter again.
I actually did cry a bit when reading the last ten pages of the book - Death of Dumbledore and the burial