Whats your most valuable comic!!

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

Yeppers, I took stacks of GSX #1 home from Marvel, then wound up giving them away to friends and relatives. Who knew they were gonna be valuable one day? :surprise:

:bamf:
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
brooklyniteOne
Lubber
Lubber

Post by brooklyniteOne »

you lucky devil you...lol
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Post by little Blue Lucy »

I have no comics of serious monetary value, but what does that matter? Excalibur one, eXiles one and X-Men Unlimited one I have. They're all direct editions. Obviously not worth that much at the moment but I don't care if they never increase in value. I love them, especially the Excalibur. I used to have the last issue of Excalibur, and X-Men number 30 (among others), but a number of my comics dissapeared without a trace. I don't think those are worth much either however and again I don't care. I just miss them because I enjoyed them. It's kind of cool though I'll admit to say oh look this issue is work 75 bucks or whatever, but I would never think of seeling my comics. Sorry for my somewhat defensive manner btw, I'm feeling a tad edgy, but not because of this thread.
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
brooklyniteOne
Lubber
Lubber

Post by brooklyniteOne »

yeah I lost one comic and im crying to this day...

I lost the phoenix saga comic(original) ... [brookliniteOne moans...softly..then sighs]
Dark Bamf
Lookout
Lookout
Title: The Creator

Post by Dark Bamf »

Unless you're collecting them for the money--which I am not--any edition of a favorite book is fine. A few years ago we were very hard up for money and I sold off my collegtion of Green Lantern, Flash, JLA (these were all nearly full runs from the beginning), FF, Thor, Spider-Man and some others. I've regretted it ever since.

But wherever possible, I'm picking up Archive or Masterworks editions to replace the lost books. And this way they're in a more durable, acid-free condition. I can read them to my heart's content and not put on all the wear and tear that comics are prey to.

I will admit that there are a few comics I would pay good money for to get the originals. The Atlas 'Black Knight' series, for instance. The series ran for only five issues, if memory serves. I have one of them. It's not the first issue, alas, which had a gorgeous Joe Maneely cover of the Black Knight rearing on his horse. I fell in love with it in 1953, or '54, or whenever that was, and I'm still in love with it. :love:

:bamf:
'I'm in love, I'm in love with Atilla the Hun--
Atilla the Hun, Atilla the Hun.
He may pillage your village and kill everyone
but I still love Atilla the Hun.'
--Atilla's Hunny
brooklyniteOne
Lubber
Lubber

Post by brooklyniteOne »

true ... The 'Boarders Books Music & More' retail chain has a great section of reprint & master works editions... its worth a look-see if the stores are in your area...
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Post by little Blue Lucy »

I am slowly rebuilding my collection. I alrady have 46 comics up from eleven before I got my job!:)
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
SmoothBamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by SmoothBamf »

First I'd like to say that I don't collect for money, but it is nice to have something thats worth some dough.

Hulk #181 (Wolverine's first appearance)
Uncanny X-men #129 (First issue in the Dark Phoenix/Shadowcat's first appearance)
Uncanny X-men #133 (Also part of Dark Phoenix/Wolverine lashes out)
Uncanny X-men #142 (Days of Future Past)
Wolverine #1
Wolverine #1 of his mini-series
Wolverine #10 (second most valueable comic of his series the last time I checked)
Namor the sub-mariner #32 signed by Jae Lee (which is probably not that valuable, but Jae Lee is one of my favorite artists and Namor is one of my favorite characters)
Aquaman #2 (where his hand is bitten off)
The entire Age of Apocolypse including Alpha and Omega in foil covers w/ duplicates

and that's all I can think of without sitting down and seriously digging through and looking up prices.
Also, most of mine aren't mint because I read all my comics.
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Gaz »

I have

Spiderman #2 (the one that the first film is based off of.)
Signed IFS
A ton of vintage stuff that isn't in print at all and no one has heard of.

That's it. The first two were gifts. I'm too cheap to pay an extra ten bucks for an autograph. I reeeeeeeeeallly want Giant Sized X-Men #1. Oh my god I want it so much. I can't find it for cheap enough though :(
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Hairbat #1
Tommi Gunn #1
Suburban Jersey Ninja She-Devils #1
Archie vs The Punisher #1
Chiaroscuro #1
Hairbat #1 vol 2
Alley Cats #1
Nightbreed #1
Moonshadow #1
The Invisibles #1

And I know they're worth something cause they have #1 on the cover!
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Tracker
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Tracker »

My pride and joys are:
Excalibur 1-5, with various others including the first of the Cross time Caper
X-caliber 1-4 (the AoA Kurt series)
Uncanny 300 - just really like this ish

For me, the fun is in the hunt. I have a local used bookstore that takes in comics...they're not in mint condition, but what the heck, right?
;)
Sail away where no ball and chain
Can keep us from the roarin' waves
Together undivided, but forever we'll be free.
So sail away aboard our rig
The moon is full and so are we,
We're seven drunken pirates
We're the seven deadly sins.
~Flogging Molly

Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member#40 :engarde
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

I own Hulk #180 & 182 in Very Fine condition and #181 in Fine condition. (Does anyone use those grades anymore?)

I used to be a total Wolverine nut and was attempting to collect every appearance...which, at the time, was terribly difficult and expensive because he had a habit of turning up in about 8 books a month.

I never read West Coast Avengers. But I have about 4 issues of it because of Wolverine. :p

And now you know my hidden shame. ;)

I used to really collect...keeping everything bagged and boarded and all that, even though I didn't really want to. Really, even then all I cared about was what was inside, but since my dad was spending so much to complete my collection I took care of it. Now I spend my own money...so I've got a couple large stacks of comics and prefer trades. ;)

Oh, and if we're talking about personal value, I've got Wolverine #58. It's worn and torn in a few places and I think cover detached at one point. But it's rare when someone keeps their very first comic, no? :D
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Originally posted by Crawler
I own Hulk #180 & 182 in Very Fine condition and #181 in Fine condition. (Does anyone use those grades anymore?)

:D

Do you know how much Hulk 181 is worth now? I saw a copy in CGC 9.8 condition sell for over $18,000.00 on Ebay. I'm sure if you are interested in selling C you can get a decent price. But the book has to be graded by the CGC I guess to get that price. People will pay far below if it is not graded by them. Which I think is unfair really. Many comic owners get the feeling that if it isn't graded by the CGC it isn't worth half as much. But I couldn't trust them with the most expensive books. I'd be on pins and needles hoping they would return ok.

I used to have the whole run of X-Men from 1-285. That was a really prized possession for me. But they are gone. That was ten years ago. They have triple in value since! :mad I can be sooo stupid sometimes! :doh!

Now? hmmm...none really since I started reading again over a year ago. Considering getting the whole Dark Phoenix Saga tho just because I enjoyed the whole arc. :)
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

I'd reckon that my Hulk #181 would score in the mid-7s to low-8s.

Not sure how much that would end up being worth, but yeah...getting your books graded by CGC usually greatly increases that value...especially if it's 9.8 or 10.0. Those are exceedingly rare, even in brand new comics.

In the end, though, each book is simply worth however much someone is willing to pay.

And I have no current intention of selling, anyway. ;)
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

well, i can see why someone not interested in reading, but merely collecting, would be willing to pay more for a CGC graded comic. instead of just taking the guys word that it is in 'very fine' condition, when it may inffact be merely 'fine' or something. with CGC you know EXACTLY what condition the comic is in, and it is professionally sealed, ontop of that. getting your comics graded isn't likely worth it for the majority of them, but for those special issues, and you are interested in selling them or keeping them a long time and are ok with never being able to read them again, i would totally do it....
Neko Cat 7
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Neko Cat 7 »

:daredevil #1

:prof:angel:cyke:jean:hank:icey:magneto #1
"No matter what I do;no matter how hard I try...the ones I love will always be the ones who pay..."- Peter Parker

Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words:'With great power comes great responsibilities.' This is my gift, my curse...who am I ?...I'm Spider-Man."-Peter Parker

Being brilliant isn't enough. Intelligence is a gift, and you use it for the good of mankind.

Or blowing up New York. You know. Whatever suits your fancy. -My Doc Ock perspective

Which do I like more? Leroux, Kay, or Webber?
Leroux gave the Phantom life.
Kay gave the Phantom a soul.
Webber gave the Phantom a voice.
Consider that, and you'll see why I can't choose.

Phantom phan
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

Giant sized X-men #1 with :bamf:wolvie:colossus:storm
Zix
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Zix »

Signed (by Paul Neary) origional Excalibur 1. 'tis very nice.

Gotta say that my favourites are the origional Nightcrawler miniseries. I've only got 1-3 (I don't actually know how it ends) but it took me ages to read it as I had to keep stopping because I was laughing so hard.
Coalition for 'Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member# 31 :engarde

:bunnyWe are the Bunny Warriors. Fear Us. :bunnyBunny impersonator #12 :bunny
KiOniLoco
Lubber
Lubber

Post by KiOniLoco »

Before i moved, and gave all my books to SmoothBamf, i had 2 neato comics.
Journey inot mystery 63 it was a hulk prototype, but later the character became ??Xendau???...something like that, i had the Marvel universe card for him, and Tales of Suspense 16..Metallo..an iron man prototype.
Now SmoothBamf owns em. and man did i let a collection go to that kid. 400 bucks for 1000+ books. Mostly X-Men, i had almost a complete set o'uncanny. but i did have some good and expensive books. But he'll never have my Amazing Fantasy's 15.. yes the book after spider man..LOL:LOL
Can't sleep or the clowns will eat me

My Website:
www.locographix.icyspicy.com
Its old, but has some great artwork on it. Enjoy!
I'm Not Bad, Just Drawn This Way. :)
:bamf
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

I really enjoy looking at the artwork in the recent Secret Wars comics, so they are becoming favourites of mine.
As well as a spiderman comic from a few months ago...it had a story about a disabled boy watching spiderman fight Morbius, the artwork was quite painterly and oh so realistic.
I also love the characterisation in WE3.
Another favourite is Battle Angel Alita it's just so cool!

Oh and ANYTHING with Wolverine in, Wolverine and Spiderman together is even better...

I agree artwork and story are far more important than mere monetary value.
I'm the best there is at what I do...
...no wait,
...that's someone else.

*ANYTHING STATED IN THE ABOVE POST IS MERELY THE OPINION OF MYSELF: UNLESS SUPPORTED BY FACTS/SOURCES ETC*