Of Cowboys, Vampires and the Almighty hisself

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

*warning..totally got some spoilerish stuff*

So, a few months ago, I got way addicted to Transmet. We all remember. Wounds are still healing...

WHile at my local comic shop, GUSHING over Transmet, the guys who work there are all "Have you read Preacher?"

Me: "Preacher?"

So, Glen, the owner, pulls me aside. "I do this for my favorite customers." He hands me the first volume of Preacher as a gift. I take it home...

And a new obsession is sparked.

Now, coming off Transmet, it was quite a huge difference. The art is very different, not as tight, and the pacing is far slower. So, it took me a bit to get into it. But when I did?? HOLY SHIT.

I don't want to make this a long ass entry for everyone to read by going into everything I love about the book. But jesus, it's really one of the best comics I've ever read. I love how Ennis included actual history into it, but in a way that helped his characters and didnt actually CHANGE our history...I'm tryoing to make sense and not just go all fangirl here..

Fav character? You have to ask? CASSIDY. Yes, I know he's a dick. And jesus, he did some SHITTY SHITTY stuff...but, well, I have my theories which most of you know....he still kicks ass. And the whole arc with him and Eccaruis in New Orleans has got to be one of my favorite comic arcs EVER.

Thats another thign I found interesting about Preacher...tghere is a TON of shit out there about Vampires, a TON of mythology, but Ennis kind of made up his own..and even poked fun at the others in that one arc. Like....he's a vampire. He needs blood and sunlight can kill him. Otherwise? Nothing really....

OK....lets get this going....SOMEONE UNDERSTAND MY LOVE!!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Well, you've hooked me onto it now...though I have only aquired the first trade so far. There is supposed to be a sale on at the comic shop next weekend, so I am doubting my willpower will last very long before I get number two.

And I love it. Its dark, crass and gory, but oh so funny. And it is something totally different. I love the dynamics between the three main players, and I really think all the mythology about heaven ect is very cool.

Seriously - I can't wait to read the next bit. They did a bang up job on it.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The next bit is great. For me, the series didn't really grab me until the second trade (angelville and such) but I was hopelessly ADDICTED by the fifth trade. It's really a brilliant brilliant book.

[Edited on 30/4/06 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

HELLO!

I've been preaching Preacher and Transmetropolitan since... well for a long time.

They both kick ass for totally different reasons. Preacher is great though because it's like a dialectic on religion talking about all the things you're not supposed to talk about and swearing besides. Plus the characters are great.

I think one thing that Preacher (and Transmet) have that are really important are the same creative team the whole time. With long running books like the X-Men books where they creative teams change the visions of both the characters and stories change, sometimes subtly and sometimes not so subtly. But in a book where you always have the same artist, the appearance of the characters becomes very tightly bound to the story.

This is my only complaint about Sandman (and it's not even a complaint really). Though Neil Gaiman always wrote amazing stories, the transition to a new artist with each arc was sometimes difficult. At the same time it served to further "idealize" the characters - turning them into concepts and characterizations rather than mere drawings so there is a flip side. But for me, with Preacher especially, the art was really important because it had a lot of nuance that fit in with the dialogue - the shape of Jesse Custer's nose, the bags under Tuplip's eyes... Just little subtle things that turned the characters into real people for me.

It's hard to even explain to someone what Preacher is about, but if you don't mind a little religion thrown in with your sex and violence, I highly recommend it.

-e
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

It's very hard to desribe. I find the same with transmet. Because, while the story IS brilliant, what makes the book SO GOOD is the characters, the dialogue, the little things that happen that dont effect the plot necessarily. Like...damn..

What makes this book (and Transmet) so good for me, is I found them at a point where I was pretty near giving up comics. You know how it is. You've been reading a while, and things aren't as great for you as they were. Then your fav character is written terribly, and it's like "Comics SUCK!"...then someone is like "Try this"....and you find out that there are comics out there BETTER than the ones you loved before.....

I love the trend now of having series with an end. Like Preacher, Transmet, and Y the Last Man, Fables. Like Em said, keeping the same creative team is SUPER important to the continuity of the book. Also, having an end means, no hanging plots, no "this writer set this up, and now this writer came in and that which had been set up si brushed off". No, you get cohesive, generally better products when its the same person starting and finishing it. I dont think I could nor would I want to see anyone but Ennis write anything Preacher related. Or anyone but Ellis write anything Transmet related. It wouldn't be the same....

Anyway, HIGHLY reccommend these books. Seriously, I don't wanna sound..."elitest", but, lets put it this way. I hadn't read anything but basically Superhero comics before I picked these up. And basically....there is a whole world of PHENOMINAL comics out there that I was closed off to because I stuck with superheros...
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

I think that we addicted Chic to preacher last night...another one converted! :LOL

Seriously, I love preacher and x-men for totally different reasons - they are very different books. But they still rock so hard!

Paws
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

*Is in a SUPER generous mood*

Ok, if you have never read Preacher, and want to fall in love with it, I have a gift for you. U2U me and I will share. I've already hooked paws, Chic, and J with it...and even sent it to a few friends who don't read comics, who LOVED it. So, U2U and see the LIGHT!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

So I just finished volume five and I have to say ...

Holy shit. Goddamn. I'll probably swing by my store before it closes for number six. All this and I'm supposed to be looking into graduate school and cleaning up my apartment ... not until it's over and done with.

Jesus fucking Christ.

And best of all - [spoiler]Bill Fucking Hicks[/spoiler].
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

I finished it. I couldn't sleep.

I don't think I can sleep.

Jesus Christ.

Sorry for the double post.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

dude, I dont think we could expect less than a double post. That book has a really fucking great ending. REALLY fucking great. Even if..it's SO a chick ending...
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I’m converted!

After reading the first two trades within a few days (and I’m stopping to buy the third on the way home from work) I can say I’m now addicted to Preacher. And I’m gonna make Hubby read it too. :evil

The first trade impressed me enough to make me pick up the second, and by the time I got halfway through the Angelville arc (I think it’s easy to guess when) I actually cried. I’m woman enough to admit it. The characters and their fears and reactions are SO real, and coming from a background where my own family watched westerns and John Wayne flicks, Jesse’s honor code really strikes home.

I’d pretty much stopped reading comics (except for The Walking Dead) by around this time last year when I started reading Transmet (At Nacht’s gentle prompting ;)) and thought it was a cool, wild ride. I did stop up at around the fifth trade though, as it started to get kind of old on me and I picked up Y the last Man instead. So now I LOVE Y and liked Transmet, but DAMN. I think Preacher tops them. I haven’t even taken the time away from it to read that first Fables trade I picked up…

I see Preacher is going to be turned into an HBO series now, and that makes me happy and nervous at the same time.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

I think preacher can convert just about anyone. Its SUCH a good ride, so touching so...human. But still crazy fun and shocking.

I adored it. And I bawled many a time, and laughed my fool head off nearly every page. Its one of those books that you can't help but to LOL every few seconds.

Paws
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

SQUEEE! OMG! :love
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Post by littlebamf »

LOL it got uploaded then? Or are you just teasing us, you meanie?

I got hooked on Preacher after getting a trade out of my local library about three years ago. I'd tirn through all the Sandman they'd had at that time, as I was trying to widen my comic reading with what the library had to offer as I was a broke schoolkid and so picked up Preacher.

Yup. Yup. I got hoooooooked :D
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

It’s a total tease, :P I have him on my photobucket. It would be awesome to have him here though…. :puppy

Oh yeah, I’m up to the fifth trade now and I LOVE the New Orleans stuff. Every few days I’ve been going back to the comic shop and have the same conversation with the dude about “hey, didya know there’s gonna be an HBO series?”
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Originally posted by Slarti
It’s a total tease, :P I have him on my photobucket. It would be awesome to have him here though…. :puppy

Oh yeah, I’m up to the fifth trade now and I LOVE the New Orleans stuff. Every few days I’ve been going back to the comic shop and have the same conversation with the dude about “hey, didya know there’s gonna be an HBO series?”
Tell NS ;)

And the NOLA stuff is like, my favorite story in the book. The book is frapping brilliant to begin with, but that little Cass side story is just so satisfying. I just love how he treats Eccarius and the rest of that cult (WTF was their name? Les Enfants....something..about blood? *forgot*). And the end was just so great. Cassidy kicks ass, even if he is a bastard.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Les Enfants du Sang - and they are hilarious!

Yeah, I've been spoiled about Cassidy in the future, but he's still comepletely awesome! I’m also psyched that you can see the influence of Cassidy on Spike from Buffy. You just KNOW he was in part based on Cass orginally.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

I remember reading this "preacher" comic that I lent from library once. I think it was something like vol.1.
Where this one boy who is supposed to marry his sister sees this another guy f*** a chicken and gets killed. Thats the same comic, right? Vampires?
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Yes thats it! That's volume 2 ;)
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
Yes thats it! That's volume 2 ;)
Just started downing 66 issues. :P
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Slarti »

Yep! Billy Bob the one-eyed inbred! I loved him too! And the rest of his family. :LMAO
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

HAHAHA - Wait till you see later one Slarti. There is still more to come with the sis.

Paws
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Originally posted by fourpawsonthefloor
HAHAHA - Wait till you see later one Slarti. There is still more to come with the sis.

Paws
Jesus... Preacher is full of all kinds of freaks. Like the sheriffs son in #2.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Yep. You haven't lived till you've seen Arse face.

Paws
kurtc
Lubber
Lubber

Post by kurtc »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette

So, Glen, the owner, pulls me aside. "I do this for my favorite customers." He hands me the first volume of Preacher as a gift.