lol, reviews!

DC, Marvel, Image, BOOM!, Dynamite and more! Discuss everything comics and related to comics. If it's comics and Nightcrawler isn't in it, this is the place!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

lol, reviews!

Post by idsunki »

In this post I will do a quick once-over of all the titles that I read that came out on Wednesday. The format will be as follows - Title/issue #, quick review, then a liked it/didn't like it declaration.

52 #14 (DC) - More crazy twists and turns in this weekly comic. Good emoting from Steel, and the whole Kahndaq situation with both Black Adam/Isis and Montoya/The Question is getting very interesting. Not bad - there have been better issues of 52, but with a weekly series like this, there are some that are going to be slow.

Beyond #2 (Marvel) - Medusa is a bad ass and Hank Pym is a weenie. Gravity shows some gravitas (see what I did there?) and probably becomes my favorite character in the series so far - he risks his own life to retrieve Spider-Man's body (who died last issue!). The story is becoming interesting, even though I have little hope that it will actually impact on continuity any. Fun series.

Civil War Frontline #5 (Marvel) - I'm really digging this whole Civil War, and Frontline is no exception. This one was a little slow, but it set up some very cool plot points for not only the next issue, but Civil War as a whole as well. Worth picking up if you're liking Civil War.

Fables #52 (DC/Vertigo) - Already to 52? I have issue #1 sitting around here somewhere... Anyway, really really crazy issue. Again, not much happens. This is like the 'week of setups' or something. However, things have just taken a turn for the worse for our beleaguered Fables, and I do not envy them next issue at all. Also a charming 4-page back up story for a fairy tale princess. If you're reading Fables, pick it up. If you aren't, go back and get the trades right now (if you're 18 or older).

Green Arrow #65 (DC) - Nothing too spectacular. Deathstroke continues acting out of character, Green Arrow and Speedy have a bit of a chat while fighting some hoodlums, and Green Lantern shows up ... for no real reason. I haven't really been following the title much though, and I know there are people that are really liking it. Not so much for me.

Incredible Hulk #97 (Marvel) - Planet Hulk is amazing. This is what Hulk should be - warlord of some crazy planet where there are actual threats to him. Watch him beat the crap out of huge alien things! The artwork matches the writing perfectly. I'm really liking his 'lieutenants,' making them actual characters instead of just ways to advance the plot. And there's a crazy surprise ending involving one of his close allies...

Ms. Marvel #6 (Marvel) - More Civil War stuff. We learn that some of the heroes working for the government might be playing both sides of the law ... If you're reading CW, get it. If you're reading Ms. Marvel, get it. If not, this isn't the best jump on point.

New X-Men #29 (Marvel) - I've liked this book for awhile, but it's never really been a favorite. It's consistently good, and there's a good balance between the characters. Sometimes the characterization of the older X-Men is a little off though. What I thought was really awesome about this issue was a little nod to continuity. The New X-Men suit up for a mission, including the de-powered David. He comes on the jet wearing what looks to be a bullet-proof vest. One of the students asks why, he responds with, "Ever hear of a student named Doug Ramsey? That's why." Definitely worth a read.

Secret Six #3 (DC) - I love Gail Simone's writing. Top-notch stuff. The only unfortunate thing is that it will end at issue six, and the Mad Hatter just doesn't seem to fit in well (though him putting little hats on all the fruit was kind of funny).

She-Hulk #10 (Marvel) - Go pick up the She-Hulk trades and catch up on this series. One of the most fun comics out there right now - this issue includes three comic geeks arguing about what She-Hulk series is which volume (since Marvel Comics exist in the Marvel Universe, and for a time they had the Comics Code Authority stamp on them, they are admissible in court as legal documents to prove precedent). All in all, good stuff.

Spider-Man Family Featuring The Amazing Friends (Marvel) - Three doses of funny from this issue, with a couple doses of nostalgia. Just in time for the 25th anniversary of the cartoon featuring Spider-Man, Iceman, and Firestar comes this great issue. In the first story, Spider-Man attempts to play cupid for the two heroes. In the second (a Chris Giarscuro Mini-Marvel Tale), Spidey gets two new co-workers at the Daily Bugle and hilarity ensues. Next up are reprints of an Untold Tales issue and a Spider-Man 2099 issue. Then it closes with a tale of Petey Parker (before he was Spider-Man!) thwarting the rebirth of Hydra in typical Archie hijinks fashion. Worth a read!

Squadron Supreme #6 (Marvel) - Features probably the funniest moment in this week's comics. When being questioned about how he knew about all the other heroes' weaknesses when the government research team couldn't figure them out, Emil Burbank wrote 'The Smartest Man on Earth' with an arrow pointing to him. Other than that, standard Squadron fare. I did like how The Blur tries to recruit Nighthawk to be the team's conscience.

Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #2 (Marvel) - Spider-Man learns that sometimes the police aren't always the good guys. Ultimate Daredevil comes up with a very interesting idea toward the end that I, for one, want to see where he's going with it. At the very least, a Daredevil/Moon Knight team up is in the works.

Ultimate X-Men #73 (Marvel) - Ha! I was right! Magician is going down. Yes, he looked like a Gary-Sue at first, but now his little world is crumbling down around him. No Nightcrawler at all this issue, but it looks like he took Dazzler out of the hospital. I think we'll get all the Ultimate Kurt we want out of the Ultimate X-Men annual due out soon. Oh yeah, and Jean Grey's back.

Wolverine Origins #5 (Marvel) - Some crazy revelations this issue, some fun fight scenes (even if all the men's faces look exactly the same - seriously, compare Wolverine's face to Hellion's), and a surprising trust placed in Cyclops.

Alright, that's it. Those are the ones I read. If something came out this week that I haven't read yet, let me know and I'll try and get a mini-review up on Friday about it.

Special thanks to Saint Kurt for the mini-review idea. If people find this helpful, fun, or at least read it, I'll keep it up each week. Also, I want a better title for the thread. Wednesday Roundup is so lame.

-edit-
Spaz and I teamed up to come up with a better name for the thread. Think you can beat it? Send in your suggestions!
-edit-

[Edited on 10-8-2006 by idsunki]
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

lol, reviews!

Post by Confizzle »

This is just me commenting on New X-Men #29, it really seems to me that Marvel can't keep it straight at all, it says that Forge's true love is Storm, yet they mention the wedding in the issue, and yet it's been said before that Mystique would be his true love, I believe, and it just confused me, but I did like the Doug Ramsey line.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

lol, reviews!

Post by Nandireya »

Thanks for the reviews...though there's only one book there I get I now know I can leave it at the store until next week...or maybe the week after...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

lol, reviews!

Post by idsunki »

Fizz - I doubt Forge can keep it straight who is 'true love' is. Plus, it was an alternate reality Forge that sent Nimrod back.

Nandi - Sorry to hear you won't be picking something up for a couple of weeks, but I'm glad my review helped.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

lol, reviews!

Post by Saint Kurt »

Woo! Reviews!

At Wizard World I was staggered by the sheer number of comics that Idsunki got to look at on an average day. I was like - "lucky dude. Even a list of 'what's cool' and 'what sucks' would be the most awesome thing in the universe" since I go into a comic book store sometimes with no idea where to start with all the new events and comics coming out.

I second the Civil War thing. The build up is slow but I like it and I might add that the packaging is really beautiful. To the point that my mom, who is completely non-comics affiliated walked right to it and said "wow, what is this?" at a trip to the comic store a week or two ago.

Another thing I am completely digging is The Eternals! Holy Crap! Neil Gaiman is totally in top form on that and the art is great too (Romita I think...)

Marvel has been doing some good things lately.

-e
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

lol, reviews!

Post by Nandireya »

I haven't even bothered with Civil War...I've always (yes ALWAYS) been disappointed with Marvel's big miniseries/crossover things...so I decided I wasn't going to be disappointed again...

But then...I think I'm just get 'meh' about comics in general...

[Edited on 14-8-2006 by Nandireya]
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

lol, reviews!

Post by Confizzle »

Meh...I hate Time travel :P
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

lol, reviews!

Post by idsunki »

Alright, here are some more lol, reviews! for Wednesday's new books.

Quick note - Civil War and most related titles have been delayed a month. I want to see if my predictions about Ares are right, dammit!

Moving on!

52 #15 (DC) - Booster Gold Memorial Issue. He will be missed.

Alius Rex Book One (Indy) - Knights doing battle for the first half, then aliens show up and kill just about everybody. The art is pretty cool, and it's like, how will the knights get out of this one?

Boys #1 (DC/Wildstorm) - Pretty crazy romp by Garth Ennis (Preacher) and Darick Robertson (Transmetropolitan, Nightcrawler). It promises to out-Preacher Preacher, and so far it just might. We've got a pretty brutal casualty in a superhero fight (innocent bystander, even), and some pretty hateful sex as well. We'll see on this one, but do not even look at it if you're under 18. We don't need any more comic shop owners getting arrested for selling obscenity to minors.

Catwoman #58 (DC) - The retired Catwoman calls in a favor with Zatanna, Holly (the new, lesbian Catwoman) is arrested and in jail, and things go all sorts of crazy. I am really digging this particular arc, and Catwoman in general. Did I mention lesbians?

Civil War X-Men #2 (Marvel) - The first issue was a good set up, but I didn't really find a whole lot to like this issue. The new model of sentinel doesn't even sweat taking out the original four X-Men (that are left), so they have to cut and run. Perhaps the next issue can redeem the series?

Claws #1 (Marvel) - Wolverine and Black Cat team up? Seriously, without the claws and his name on the cover, I would not recognize that dude as Wolverine. Also features Spider-Man checkin' out Black Cat.

Deadman #1 (DC/Vertigo) - Weird format for this one. A pilot dies without realizing it and goes through some death dreams trying to get him to 'move on.' He wants to live and return to his love, which never seems to work out in these kinds of stories. I will be reading the second one to see where this goes, certainly.

Dracula v. King Arthur (Indy) - Just what it says.

Ghost Rider #2 (Marvel) - Danny Blaze is back! And he sort of brought Satan back with him! Oh, and there's also some Stephen Strange here too. Crazy Ghost Rider action, so if you're into that sort of thing, you'll be into this.

Iron Man #11 (Marvel) - You can tell this title is late because Iron Man is working against the government, specifically Nick Fury (who went into deep hiding months ago, maybe even late last year). It sets up a crazy final issue to the storyline though, and Iron Man does some creative hacking to beat (read: escape with his life from) the Sentry.

Lady Death Fetishes Special 2006 - Lots of pin ups of Lady Death in sexy fetish outfits, with at least five different covers. Yes, one of them is her dressed as a French Maid.

Nextwave #7 (Marvel) - Buy this book. Right now. It's the best book Marvel has on the shelves, written by Warren Ellis (Transmetropolitan), and starring some of the lamest heroes Marvel has to offer against the weirdest Weapons of Mass Destruction. Also features the best original character ever - General Dirk Anger. Boy has some issues. (age restriction warning - definitely gonna need parents' permission if you aren't at least 17-18)

Phonogram #1 (Image) - I haven't actually read it yet, but I got to see some preview pages and it's on my pile of books I actually bought (surprisingly small). Basically modern magic is done through music, specifically indy and underground sorts of music. This story is about an egotistical ass that practices this music magic, and his run in with an ex-girlfriend that might be more powerful than him.

Robin #153 (DC) - Robin teams up with Capt. Boomerang Jr. to find one of Joker's old plans to take out Gotham (a nuclear bomb!), all the while trying to work together and ... I guess it was okay.

Runaways #19 (Marvel) - Still a big spoiler that I don't want to spoil yet, but it was good. It was really good. Cute bit with Molly and the Frog. I cannot wait to see where they are going with this.

Savage Brothers #1 (Boom!) - Who wouldn't love some good downhome boys killin' some zombies for booze and profit? If you're of an age that this would be appropriate, I'd recommend picking it up - Dukes of Hazzard meets Post-Apocalyptic (that's of the Biblical variety, y'hear?) Zombies!

Sensational Spider-Man #29 (Marvel) - With Spider-Man unmasked before all the world, his villains aren't happy with that. Now they move to take down Peter Parker, and at least one of them has his self-esteem crushed when Peter can't seem to remember which villain he is - ("We've fought? What are your powers again?")

Shadowpact #4 (DC) - I really want to like this book, but the writing just seems... off. I can't put my finger on it.

Thunderbolts #105 (Marvel) - Civil War tie-in! What is that crazy Baron Zemo up to? Probably nothing good, even though he takes some fierce damage to save Captain America's life, and even returns things to him that he had destroyed.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #32 (Marvel) - Amazing issue. Perfect wrap up to the run. I don't know where they're going next, but I'll probably be picking up the first 32 issues in trade format.

Alright guys, that's it for this week! I know I missed a few, but I haven't read them yet. Any comments or requests, say so!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

lol, reviews!

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Boys was GREAT. And Runaways was brilliant. The bit with Molly was super cute. And with Chase in the end? Oh man...can't WAIT to see whats up with that! I also like the fill in artist alot!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

lol, reviews!

Post by idsunki »

Alright, here are some late lol, reviews!

For Wednesday, 8/23

52 Week 16 (DC) - Adam & Isis, sittin' in a tree! Oh look, a suicide bomber!

Astonishing X-Men #16 (Marvel) - Man this was so cool! Kitty makes her come back in an awesome way, and Logan proves that a Howlet simply does not hide behind another's skirt when danger comes around! Also, the best reaction to a cliffhanger ending ever.

Batman #656 (DC) - Grant Morrison continues on his quest to lend some sanity to Bruce Wayne, and the story gets a little more interesting. What's this, Batman Son of the Demon is in continuity now? Oh, that wacky Infinite Crisis!

Birds of Prey #97 (DC) - The Birds try and recruit a powerful ally in Black Alice before the united Villains can. Things go a bit for the worse and the cover does indeed happen. I do like Black Alice a bit ... Earth's Mightiest Goth Chick!

Blue Beetle #6 (DC) - Not sure where they're going with all of this. The Phantom Stranger is always a plus, and next issue promises to reveal a bit more about the suit.

Daredevil #88 (Marvel) - The Secret Life of Foggy Nelson. This is a really cool look into the mind of Daredevil's best friend, who isn't a coward. He's just not as brave as Matt Murdock. No one could fault a guy for that, right?

Darkness Wolverine #1 (Top Cow/Marvel) - The art in this is amazing, and I like the resolution to the fight. The story isn't bad, but nothing too special unless you're a big fan of either/both characters.

DMZ #10 (DC/Vertigo) - The end of the second storyline brings the story to an almost positive level? I don't know, but I did like it. The triumph of one individual over an army is always a reassuring thing when it's difficult to see the difference one person can make in today's world.

Eternals #3 (Marvel) - More pieces start to fall into place, and some truly Matrix-level cool special effects show up. If you're a Neil Gaiman fan, you should be reading this. I don't care if you don't know anything about the Eternals. I didn't. I love it.

Exiles #85 (Marvel) - They're the best at what they do, and what they do isn't pretty. A team entirely made up of Wolverines! Can they really replace the Exiles? Of course not, but the fun is in reading what happens, how and why. So pick it up, bub!

Flash Fastest Man Alive #3 (DC) - I don't know, I want to like this book. I like the Flash, I do. I like Bart Allen. But this book just isn't doing it for me. Maybe it'll come together later? Maybe you'll like it? It's worth a try, maybe.

Heroes for Hire #1 (Marvel) - Civil War Tie in! This is a good one, and if you liked the Daughters of the Dragon mini-series that just finished up, you will like this one too.

(okay, i am posting this now and will finish it later with an edit. plenty more to come!) -edit- here is more!

Jack of Fables #2 (DC/Vertigo) - I love Fables, and I'm lovin' this. Jack, Goldilocks, and a bunch of cameos are locked up and need a hero to help them escape. Who better to rescue them than the most powerful Fable right now?

Justice League of America #1 (DC) - Not a bad issue. It really highlights the comraderie between the Big Three (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman), and it has some interesting choices for who might be on the team. It's been spoiled on the internet already, so if you really want to know who made it, go ahead and find it.

New Avengers #23 (Marvel) - Which side is Spider-Woman really on? This issue answers that in an explosive way!

Portent #4 (Image) - What if the only hero chosen to save the world ... was killed before the first issue? Find out in this cool conclusion to a small fantasy epic. Find the last three issues, they shouldn't be too expensive. The art and story are both pretty amazing.

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane #9 (Marvel) - Okay, call me a sissy but I like this comic. It's McKeever's little Spider-Man fanfic, and I love it. It's cute and innocent. We need more comics like this, and if you aren't picking this up, shame on you! Even if you don't like superheroes, it's cute teen relationships with some crazy stuff in the background.

Supergirl #9 (DC) - After the crazy debauchery and low cut costumes of the past eight issues, it looks like Supergirl is trying to get a little more moral. And what's this? Rooming with Wonder Girl?

Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes #21 (DC) - I really liked the Legion book before Supergirl came by, but it's still not bad.

Supermarket #4 (IDW) - Another four issue miniseries coming to an end. It's a Romeo & Juliet love story between a family of Japanese mafia and Porno Swede mobsters, and the main character is just trying to keep the lovers alive while finding her parents' huge inheritance to her.

Ultimate Spider-Man #99 (Marvel) - Can Peter Parker's life get any worse? I posit that it can, and it will in #100.

Ultimates 2 Annual #2 (Marvel) - Cap thinks back to some simpler times in his life, and he and Falcon beat the hell out of Ultimate Arnim Zola and his white supremist neo-nazi white trash minions. Great issue!

Walking Dead #30 (Image) - Holy crap is this just going to get worse for the prisoners! I cannot wait until Michonne's revenge...

Wolverine #45 (Marvel) - Wolverine v. Namor! A stunning act of ... mercy?

Wonder Woman #2 (DC) - Finally! Good fight scenes by all (and an understandable reaction from Wonder Girl...), and a stunning crazy ending that will no doubt change some stuff up next issue (whenever it happens to come out).

Zombies #3 (IDW) - Pretty crazy zombie stuff. If you like zombies, you'll like this. If you don't, you won't. Easy as that.

Women of Marvel Poster Book (Marvel) - Bunch of pin ups of Marvel's sexiest ladies. If you like that sort of thing, at least (and I do!).

Alright ladies & gents, discuss!

[Edited on 29-8-2006 by idsunki]