QUITTING TIME???? Kurt leaves the X-Men!

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Diablo »

[quote]Originally posted by Saint Kurt
MAX!! Ça fait longtemps qu'on ne s'est pas vue!

Comment ça va?

I totally agree about the stuff with the Soul Sword in the solo books being the coolest to happen to Nightcrawler in a few decades so it's a total bummer to see it being used as just another plot point to enhance the focus on other characters.

I belong to a site called "Pencil Jack" which is a forum where comics pros support new artists and they have "Forum Comics Jams" were they write, pencil, ink, and color their own books. Often they are X-over type things like Wolverine vs. Alien or "Spiderman meets Spider Jerusalem". (Okay they didn't have Spidey meet Spider, but wouldn't it be AWESOME if they did? They're both journalists. A Spider/Spider investigative team up would be the bomb would it not?)

Sometimes I think the only answer to the "Nightcrawler problem" is just ignore Marvel and do the Pencil Jack thing - take ownership of the character and write our own cool stories and comics about him.

-e

[/quote]

Hello again Saint Kurt. It's good to be back. :)

You're right, making Kurt the one we'd want him to be is part of the catharsis we need. Sometimes, I'm into role playing games, and in "my" Marvel Universe, Kurt has become the sorcerer supreme, with golden wings and, of course, his soulsword. That, and he's leader of the X-Men now, heehee.

It helps, but seeing him as an underrated character in Marvel comics, when there are so many possibilities for him just gets on my nerves... I guess I like this character too much.
Drawing a Nightcrawler story is something I sometimes consider, but I tend to follow Jack Kirby's words : "Do your own thing". So I write about the characters I created -three of my books got published in France, sales didn't really follow, but that's another story...

The problem, with Nightcrawler, is that Marvel comics owns the character. And despite all the love Darick showed for the elf, despite all his enthusiasm and decent sales on the book, Marvel editors don't care about Kurt enough.

I just hope it will change one day. I foolishly hope that a writer or an artist with a lot of influence will finally give him the strories he deserves. Because, once again, there are a lot of cool possibilities for the elf. Dave Cockrum created his awesome look. Chris Claremont made him iconic. Alan Davis and Darick Robertson gave him depth.
So, who's next ?...
Yes, okay... I'm just waiting for the messiah here... ;)

[Edited on 3-1-2009 by Diablo]
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
SmoothBamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by SmoothBamf »

since he's leaving the X-men I think he should join with capton Briton and MI 13 or he should start hanging with the prof in X-men legacy
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

[rquote=33683447&tid=11331&author=neling4]This can't be good:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=19164

[quote]
X-MEN: QUITTING TIME Written by JAMES ASMUS Penciled by TBD Cover by BRANDON PETERSON Since the move to San Francisco and after the events of X-Infernus, Nightcrawler realizes a hard truth—he has to quit the X-Men. Kurt has realized that the X-Men just don’t need him anymore. He hasn’t been operating at his highest levels and even the biggest strength he has—teleportation—has been made redundant by Pixie who can do it better and more efficiently. Don’t miss the departure of one of the most important characters in X-Men history. 32 PGS./One-Shot/Rated T+ …$3.99[/quote]
[/rquote]

Hey, it's just like when someone decides they're fed up with internet drama so they make a 32 page post about it. Just leave! Jeez!

(Obviously he's not going anywhere.)
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
yarin
Lubber
Lubber

Post by yarin »

Hi everyone first time poster long time Nightcrawler fan and i think i have to agree that Nightcrawler isn't going anywhere its a one shot people
Live in peace and let your enemies be, but fiercely protect the ones you love.

Per scientia totus est ostendo sum
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Yarin, welcome!

As you can see we're very avid Kurt fans here, so any time he QUITS the x-men it's a big deal.

Even if it is a one-shot, he is leaving the X-men for what will probably be a short time, but he's still leaving. Also, Kurt's a great guy and sort of belongs on the team. To have him quit.... for any reason short of an ethical thing his fans could back up.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Hi Yarin!

I HOPE Kurt's not leaving for good. I have a huge problem with WHY they say he's leaving. Kurt would NEVER just quit because he thinks he's useless. Logan isn't getting written out because X-23 has his powers and he thinks he's useless. None of the telepaths quit because some other mutant has telepathic powers. You might as well say Kurt's leaving because Hank is a fuzzy blue mutant and there's no room for two of those in the X-men. It's ridiculous! Two teleporters would make the X-men STRONGER! If he IS leaving the X-men, there better be a better reason than "Pixie can do everything so much better than I can!"

I guess we'll all find out soon enough....
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Yeah, I'm there with all of you who think the reasons are faulty at best. I mean, let's be honest- the distance/speed of Nightcrawler's teleportation was at best, the basic level of that power. What he *really* brings to the table is the ability to use it creatively. On top of having a lot more combat experience, medical know how, being one of two peopel who can repair the X-jet (all of which has been mentioned) I think we have *yet* to see Pixie pull off a teleportation trick as fancy as the punch-as-fast-as-you-port combo. (Although, perhaps its just a matter of time...)

Teleportation is so not his main value. Maybe he'll come to realize this in this one-shot. I mean, how many times was he completely *lacking* his ability to teleport, and still managed to ROCK SO HARD OH MY GOSH HAVE THESE WRITERS NEVER READ ANY EXCALIBUR SHEEEEZZzzz.... err... ehheh...

Also, let me direct your attention to some of the Essential X-men issues (number eludes me right now but I can get it when I'm home) where Nightcrawler teleported out of a trap (solid room with no windows)- two miles in the air- in a hurricane (a whopper brought on by a distressed Storm) then proceeded to teleport down into the water- where he then had to swim for an hour (still in the hurricane!) to get back to land.

Seriously, Pixie. Seriously.
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

the_lone_bamf wrote: I think we have *yet* to see Pixie pull off a teleportation trick as fancy as the punch-as-fast-as-you-port combo. (Although, perhaps its just a matter of time...)
She would not be very effective at that. I don't think any of the people who have to utter spells to teleport could to that.

Pixie: Sival novarum chinoth! (Ports and punches enemy)
Enemy: (recovers)
Pixie: Sival... (gets punched back)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Angelique wrote:
the_lone_bamf wrote: I think we have *yet* to see Pixie pull off a teleportation trick as fancy as the punch-as-fast-as-you-port combo. (Although, perhaps its just a matter of time...)
She would not be very effective at that. I don't think any of the people who have to utter spells to teleport could to that.

Pixie: Sival novarum chinoth! (Ports and punches enemy)
Enemy: (recovers)
Pixie: Sival... (gets punched back)
You know this, and I know this, and everyone on the forums here knows this... but I wouldn't put it past the powers-that-be to tell us that Pixie has a magical "auto-butt-kicking" incantation or something...
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

the_lone_bamf wrote: You know this, and I know this, and everyone on the forums here knows this... but I wouldn't put it past the powers-that-be to tell us that Pixie has a magical "auto-butt-kicking" incantation or something...
They'll give her insta-spells! No time for incantations? No problem!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Incantations? Damn, X-Men has really gone downhill. It's supposed to be a mutant book but anything that requires incantations is not a mutation. (This is still not as bad as the tattoo character though.)
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Well, Pixie's teleportation is not a mutant power, but some magic thing that goat-legged girl taught her to do.

Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

They'll teach her to use the same disks that Amanda Sefton used.... or can she do that already? Or did Amanda have to say a spell to use them? I can't remember.

But can't Kurt teleport to Limbo without any magic? Or did Amanda have to bring him there?
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Kurt can teleport to Limbo without using magic.

I dont know whether or not Amanda needed to use a spell to teleport, but it being a magical rather than a mutant ability for her, my bet's on yes, even if it's implied rather than written out.

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

In some of the books (novels) it was magickal ability that enabled Amanda to teleport.

I never knew Kurt could get to Limbo (the place, not the dance) just by clicking the ruby slippers (metaphorically speaking), though. Interesting.

And as far as the tongue-in-cheek "insta-spells," that actually seems to come a bit close to what Shagreen the Sorcerer was attempting when he bought dear Kurt (with the snappyface toymonster as a bonus). I'll have to go back and read that four-parter to be certain ... yeah, good an excuse as any for yet another re-read....
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Kurt has teleported across other dimensions...accidentally...but still...he did it...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Nandireya wrote:Kurt has teleported across other dimensions...accidentally...but still...he did it...
He managed to do it purposely, too, to get back to his own dimension in the lighthouse in Excalibur. I don't remember the issue number, though.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Excalibur #49...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Angelique wrote:Kurt can teleport to Limbo without using magic.
You're right....I remember him getting to Limbo without any help in the last Nightcrawler series.

Maybe he can teleport anywhere he's already been.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Jeremus wrote:
You're right....I remember him getting to Limbo without any help in the last Nightcrawler series.

Well looking at it
1) Assuming the six mile radius thing is canon and still applicable, being it's another dimension that rule gets tossed out the window (if not for the sake of the fact that it's conceivably "parallel", than simply because it just jumbles things up.)
2) This might imply he really can port more than six miles, and has no idea he could do it before.
3) Some writer didn't care and needed to get him there *snap* right then, right there.
4) If he sees it, he can :bamf to it. He has to know what he's looking at and being that (i'm assuming by excalibur #49) he has already seen Limbo, it should not have been too big a problem for him to do that.

*pushes glasses back up brim of nose and snorts*

That said.

Pixie can shove that up her ass. Let's see HER teleport water out of a sinking boat. Or teleport across the ENTIRE Atlantic ocean from Genosha back to the Mansion.

Okay, yeah, that's from the new TV series, but Pixie is in it and depicted as a scared, butterfly winged, child. I can't imagine Marvel would really show kids this awesome teleporter, get them to run to the comic store, and then have him say "Aw,... boo! The new girl with the cute smile and the pretty wings does what I can do! I'm quitting, screw you guys I'm going home!" :bamf

Uh-uh. Illogical. Spock would disapprove.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Hey, yeah..... Spock would never quit the Enterprise because some other Vulcan could neck pinch better than he could! Oh wait......wrong forum......oh wait....wrong website.......

Oh, man.....I hope they don't give Pixie 'Vulcan neck pinching' powers! :surprise I mean they already gave her Tinkerbell 'pixie dust'..... they just can't stop!

You know there's only one way to get rid of her, but I'm afraid to actually use the "I don't believe in faeries" defense because I'd be afraid that a REAL pixie would drop down dead.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Jeremus wrote:

In the last series, random people on the street also "knew" he'd "been a priest". Which he hadn't, and none of his friends even "knew" about it until after it was all over.
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

You know there's only one way to get rid of her, but I'm afraid to actually use the "I don't believe in faeries" defense because I'd be afraid that a REAL pixie would drop down dead.
Thank you for giving me the biggest laugh I will probably have today.

That was brilliant.:love
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

The Drastic Spastic wrote: In the last series, random people on the street also "knew" he'd "been a priest". Which he hadn't, and none of his friends even "knew" about it until after it was all over.
That moment in the last solo series occurred only in Nightcrawler's imagination while he was running something like a 106 degree fever. I don't think it counts.

Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Kurt teleported to Limbo in issue #2 to ask Amanda's advice about Seth. Then he teleported Seth's "aunt" to Limbo in issue #3 or #4. He teleported there again in issue #6(?) to ask her advice about the bones he found in the subway. This was before the "fever episode". So Kurt can definitely teleport to Limbo without help....unless there's some special 'key' he's using behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Oh...and on a side note...I think that the "I don't believe in faeries" defense isn't going to work on Pixie because now I believe that she's a giant Bugaloo. I don't think 'pixie defense strategies' work on Bugaloos.... only windshields (or shoes or maybe flyswatters). But since she's a giant mutant Bugaloo, I don't think a windshield will work in this case.

(Man....now I can't get the Bugaloo song out of my head!)

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]