QUITTING TIME???? Kurt leaves the X-Men!

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

"But, of course, he still ends up somewhere that requires punching people." Love that line.

Seems like everybody's reeling. Ang, you wanna go there and teach 'em about reeling?

"This story definitely re-establishes the character." Egad. As if he needs it. I was only joking about Brand New Crawler, you crazy Marvel writers!

Lawd have me'cy, please don't tell me he's abdicating the X-life to be, like, High Consort Of Limbo or something.

I am way too old-fashioned (or just plain old?) to keep up with all this modern, dark, morally dilemmic (yeah, I made that up. sue me.) stuff. I miss him trying to outwit a Bamf, or rescuing damsels, or trading double entendres with Ubiquitous-ine.

Thank God for fanfic.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

It's a shame when the Fanfics have to reflect what should be the depiction of Kurt.

one of two things will happen as a result.
1) The demand to keep Kurt as he was in their Fics will eventually change the depiction of Kurt in comics back to who it is supposed to be. Marvel writers would eventually go "Oh, hell, just put him back how it was..."

2) Kurt in comics will change and soon, even the Fanfics will. And soon it will be all fans know... this... Church loving, demon who is crazed for God instead of having a jovial piratey time with his cutlass and the ladies.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:Kurt in comics will change and soon, even the Fanfics will. And soon it will be all fans know... this... Church loving, demon who is crazed for God instead of having a jovial piratey time with his cutlass and the ladies.
Too late.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Well...I put in my two cents worth on the Marvel website where James Asmus talks about Kurt leaving. Doubt anyone at Marvel reads those posts.:hrumph
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Jeremus wrote:Well...I put in my two cents worth on the Marvel website where James Asmus talks about Kurt leaving. Doubt anyone at Marvel reads those posts.:hrumph
Maybe they don't, but I did. Nice post there, Jeremus!
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Ult_Sm86 wrote: Kurt ... who is crazed for God instead of having a jovial piratey time with his cutlass and the ladies.
Actually, ahem, it *is* possible to write a very religious Kurt who is attracted to ladies. And swords. Sexin' someone up isn't necessary for a good time to be had by all. My simple-minded opinion, but there ya go. I loved "Battle By The Numbers" and thought Kurt was so charming, yet he kept his affections in proper perspective for a nice Catholic gent.

From what I can tell, Ult_Sm, nothing the people who buy the books do (ie, demanding this or that or resorting to creation of their own versions) makes a dent in the Creative Powers That Be.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

LIV4TheObsession
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by LIV4TheObsession »

I agree with Elfdame. I think his religion is an importaint part of his character! It gives him depth. But so does his swashbuckling side! Marvel needs to find a writer who can balance all of his character traits, not just accentuate one or two qualities.
DeviantArt: http://liv4theobsession.deviantart.com/

"Your life is not back and white but it is the million shades of grey that make you who you are." ~ Unknown
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Oh, I didn't say it's not important.
But I'm afraid they'll shear all the other things away and make him purely this mythical-religious type figure. Like Ghost Rider or Hellboy. And he really doesn't belong there.
From what I can tell, Ult_Sm, nothing the people who buy the books do (ie, demanding this or that or resorting to creation of their own versions) makes a dent in the Creative Powers That Be.
The sad fact is you're right. And the proof is on this site. We're one of the most popular fan-sites I can think of, and my ass they don't know we exist, (I'm sure Paty has been in Quesada's ears enough about us or various members). Yet they are still going through with this.

If you ask me, it sounds like they're trying to find new audience, and I find it outrageous. Also, I think cutting away the rest of what has made a character so awesome for so long just to stuff him in Limbo (literally) and then crowd him with his own mythical book, be it the forming of his own team, or his very own series...

It had better be written damn well. Because I will be furious if they turn a faithful but loving person into a purely moody catholic demon-hunting twit.

Marvel becomes more DC every instance they get.

[Edited on 20/2/09 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

As far as where he goes from here, we're not really laying that out just yet with this.

Sounds to me like they don't have any immediate plans for Kurt...maybe it's dependant on how many of us jump ship (and thus effect their bottom line ie their profits) when he goes...

It hasn't instilled much confidence in me...I'm pretty much back to my knee-jerk original reaction of dropping everything I get from Marvel...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Ult_Sm86 wrote: The sad fact is you're right. And the proof is on this site. We're one of the most popular fan-sites I can think of, and my ass they don't know we exist, (I'm sure Paty has been in Quesada's ears enough about us or various members). Yet they are still going through with this.
Not only do they know we exist, Darick Robertson mentioned Nightscrawlers by name in the back of the last issue of the solo series.

Of course I wouldn't put it past Marvel to have people write Nightcrawler who haven't read anything prior to Fraction taking over Uncanny, so Darick's shout-out to us might go unnoticed.

And I assure you that Paty's in quite a snit over this.

And yes, Elfdame, I'd like to teach those suckers a thing or two about reeling!

[Edited on 20/2/2009 by Angelique]
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:But I'm afraid they'll shear all the other things away and make him purely this mythical-religious type figure. ... I will be furious if they turn a faithful but loving person into a purely moody catholic demon-hunting twit.
Agreed. Even in Real Life (wait? there's such a thing?), people who are ONLY in this God-n-me trance are not my favorite folks to hang around. Most saints were very vibrant folk: some were undercover priests, some ruled countries, some did acrobatics to attract kids to religion classes. So I envision him like that, only more flawed.

And carrying a sword and kissing gals and cracking jokes and stuff.

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Elfdame wrote:...or trading double entendres with Ubiquitous-ine.
Who is Ubiquitous-ine? Wolverine? He is everywhere at once. LOL! :LOL I'm beginning to think he is the real Multiple Man.
Angelique wrote: And I assure you that Paty's in quite a snit over this.
I hope she gives Joe Q. a lecture and makes him behave.

[Edited on 21/2/09 by neling4]

Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

neling4 wrote:Who is Ubiquitous-ine? Wolverine? He is everywhere at once. LOL! :LOL I'm beginning to think he is the real Multiple Man.
Maybe everytime he dies...or comes close to it...a new Wolverine rises.

Good Lord! Half the world's population must be Wolverines by now! :shocked

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Not that I mind. I *like* Wolverine. But (getting back to the topic, odd though that is for me) part of his charm is his rapport with (all together now) Nightcrawler.

Buddy movies are such a big thing nowadays, you'd think buddy comics would be a no-brainer. And they both kinda mentored Kitty back in the day, so ... sheez.

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Elfdame wrote:Not that I mind. I *like* Wolverine. But (getting back to the topic, odd though that is for me) part of his charm is his rapport with (all together now) Nightcrawler.

Buddy movies are such a big thing nowadays, you'd think buddy comics would be a no-brainer. And they both kinda mentored Kitty back in the day, so ... sheez.
I would so love that.

Bamfsticks
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Bamfsticks »

[size=-1]If I were X, I'd supercharge my wheelchair so I could blast all over the place! Some big fat tires- How sweet would that be? Juggernaut comes running in all "I'm the Juggernaut, I can't be stopped--' WHAMMMM!!! I am sawwing out on his face, doing doughnuts all over his head! Then he's laying there all "Uhh" and I back up and point at him and go "Get back in that ruby, Chump! X!!!"
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Some nice work there, but should he be posting those?

Bamfsticks
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Bamfsticks »

Sometimes I have seen artists post some pencils early.. but I think he shouldn't have posted page 22...
[size=-1]If I were X, I'd supercharge my wheelchair so I could blast all over the place! Some big fat tires- How sweet would that be? Juggernaut comes running in all "I'm the Juggernaut, I can't be stopped--' WHAMMMM!!! I am sawwing out on his face, doing doughnuts all over his head! Then he's laying there all "Uhh" and I back up and point at him and go "Get back in that ruby, Chump! X!!!"
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Since when does a shotgun make a neat little wound like that?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Because it's a special mutant-hero-hunting shotgun that only leaves a neat little wound so the mutant-hero can continue to kick butt rather than lie down on the ground and die like a normal person would?

Bamfsticks
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Bamfsticks »

The guy tried to make a pistol-shotgun?
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Someone mentioned it on the DA page too...he's probably restricted by some sort of rating guide into not showing too much gore.

love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Bamfsticks wrote:Sometimes I have seen artists post some pencils early.. but I think he shouldn't have posted page 22...
It might actually have been a great move, posting that particular page as a way of raising interest. Because I doubt that will be the ending.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by Nandireya »

Isn't it supposed to be a 40 page special? 22's barely half way through the story.

Bamfsticks
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Bamfsticks »

Yah, but still someone getting shot makes people like me go emo.