Is Kurt his REAL name?

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Is Kurt his REAL name?

Post by Nandireya »

I don't know...Kurt's power is electro-MAGNETICALLY based...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Magic Rabbit
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Is Kurt his REAL name?

Post by Magic Rabbit »

Originally posted by Nandireya
Kurt was a newborn when Raven dropped him over the falls (if it happened at all) so she probably wouldnt have come up with a name...Magarli probably just gave him the name and made up the story about Eric Wagner to give him some sort of place in the universe...she may even have known an Eric Wagner...
Yeah, that’s probably the best explanation for Margali calling him Kurt Wagner. Why she just didn’t claim him for her own, and give him her last name, is another matter. But I was also under the impression that Mystique was married to a German man who fathered Kurt. But his real name is unknown. Thankfully all those horrible rumors that once circulated that CC wanted to make Destiny his real mother (don’t ask!) have died. That would have made this all a much bigger mess. I image CA has some better explanations.

I also doubt that Nightcrawler’s name would change at all. Mystique apparently didn’t have the time to formally give him a name, so whatever Margali chose to call him is his name both formally and legally. Mystique abandoned him; she can’t suddenly decide to change his name now.
Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic

*unless it has to do with religion :D
Oh yeah – the religious thing has been done to death. Originally it was insulting, now its just boring.

No, no, no! No Daddy Magneto. That’s almost as bad as Daddy Sabertooth! Yikes! Why can’t Kurt’s dad just be some poor, unsuspecting German guy who fell for Mystique (and then she killed him)? Ack! All these mutant family ties are killing me! :dead:
"If we crash I can't win!" - Speed Racer

:bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny

:blossom :bubbles :buttercup
La_Lune
Lubber
Lubber

Is Kurt his REAL name?

Post by La_Lune »

Originally posted by Erynne
Mystique probably just called him It.
Yea.. but that's mean!:mad: I really want to know who is father is, too. I remember a quote I got from somwhere... don't remember where, though.

Nithcrawler: Brrr! It's freezing in here!
Mystique: I go through all the trouble to find you a father with fur in his genes and still you complain!:?
"And the world will hear your voice..."
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Is Kurt his REAL name?

Post by kurtlover »

yeah but that's in AoA universe (X-calibre books), so it might be possible his father would be somebody different than in 616.
Menshevik
Lubber
Lubber

Is Kurt his REAL name?

Post by Menshevik »

Hello everybody! Glad to be here.
Re. Nightcrawler being Bavarian -- as far as I am aware, the old accounts in UXM always placed the discovery of the the baby by the Szardoses in the Black Forest, which is not in Bavaria, but in the neighboring State (German: Land) of Baden-Württemberg (where the Porsches come from). The account given in X-Men Unlimited #4 I tend to regard as a lie put about by Mystique.
The problem with the original accounts is that they also seem to be untrue, for once we hear the story that Kurt was found in the arms of his dying father and another time in the arms of his dying mother...

Tilman
Magic Rabbit
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Is Kurt his REAL name?

Post by Magic Rabbit »

Good point. But maybe his father was Bavarian, which would be only logical since it has been mentioned a few million times in the Xmen that Kurt isn't just German but Bavarian (and isn't Mystique American?). Either way, I hear CA is clearing up this whole "Mystique's version versus Margali's version" of events by giving Kurt's real history.

Mmmm..... I wonder why no one ever picked up on the whole Black Forest/Bavarian thing earlier. You'd think the editors at Marvel would have a clue into geography...
"If we crash I can't win!" - Speed Racer

:bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny

:blossom :bubbles :buttercup
Menshevik
Lubber
Lubber

Is Kurt his REAL name?

Post by Menshevik »

If Kurt was referred to as a Bavarian in the stories, then I'd say that is most easily explained by saying that the Szardoses lived in Bavaria most of the time (Bavaria is the largest German state by area and second-largest by population). People are, after all, usually referred to as "Bavarians", "Texans", "Yorkshiremen"or "Queenslanders" etc. because they were born in that region, because they were raised there or (have) lived there for a significant part of their life, not because their father came from there, even in cases where their father did not die on them at birth ;)
Mystique is a woman of mystery. I have always thought she is European in origin (but I'm sure she has papers aplenty that document that she was born and bred in the US. And Germany. And Britain. And...
:LOL:
Let's hope Chuck Austen doesn't foul up the matter further...
I'd say no-one ever picked up on the Bavaria/Black Forest thing before because of pure sloppyness. And a general cluelessness about Germany and continental Europe in general (don't get me started)

Tilman
:mystique::?:yell:
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Is Kurt his REAL name?

Post by NightPoofer »

Wh... what? I'm confused now... You CON FU ZED ME!!!