Kurt-isms

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Kurt-isms

Post by kurtlover »

see??? Jill always knows :D :D
*raises eyebrow to Josh*
yeah Frumii that's why i stick into....english? :? lol me no likes french.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Kurt-isms

Post by Bamfette »

whee! i was right!:D know very little... like i said above i learned the words and phrases i do know from comic books :oops: i am a puzzle solver at heart and if i don't understand something i jsut try to figure out what fits best....
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt-isms

Post by Erynne »

Dude, someone should make a new section in Nightcrawler for like, German words/pronunciation that Kurt uses in the comics. That's be cool :)
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt-isms

Post by Erynne »

....and BTW, I agree with Bamfette, French is better, lol (except in x-men where German is DEFINETLY better)
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Kurt-isms

Post by kurtlover »

You betcha Jill!! :P
well i personally think french is only good with Gambit ;pant;:love:
jogurt
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Kurt-isms

Post by jogurt »

Indeed fallacy! Bamfette did right:)
The Pyramid over Egypt links with the Pyramid
of Time and Illusion. It is run by I, Thoth or
Hermes, the Trickster and Master of the Game.
(AKA. Azazel;) )
Menshevik
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt-isms

Post by Menshevik »

Originally posted by Bamfette
its not too hard to figure out usually just from the context they are used in... mein=my slap on gott, freund or whatever. they even sound remarkably similar to the English counterparts....

Mein Gott/freund (my God/friend)
Guten Tag/Abend/Nacht (good day/evening/night)
Auf Weideshen (bye)
Sehr Gut (very good, i think?)
Fraulein (miss... sorta should probably be Frau tho in most cases)
Herr (sir)
Katzchen (kitty or kitten)
Liebchen (a term of endearment similar to sweetheart. aparently quite antiquated)
KL i believe you mean Nicht War (was not)
Unglaublich (unbelieveable)
Schweineheund(e) (a curse used in reference to a person or group of persons - literally, i think, pig-dog(s))
Shnell! (quick/hurry!)
Verdammt (damn)
Was (usually spelled vas in the comics... means what )
Was ist das? (what is that?)
Danke (thank you)
ja (yes)
nein (no)

and i learned that just from reading X-Men :p so yeah these probably are kinda off. my point is its not very hard to figure out if you just take a moment and figure out what the situation is and what makes sense.
Hello all,
glad to be here (as a Fan of :rogue: I gotta like her brother, dont I?)

Anyway, since German is my native tongue, I thought Id add a few notes:

General note:
In proper German spelling, nouns are always capitalized and adjective always arent; thus "my American friend" becomes "mein amerikanischer Freund".

In the absence of a keyboard with umlauts, German-speakers replace "ä" with "ae", "ö" with "oe" and "ü" with "ue".

The expressions listed by Bamfette are correct with the following corrections:

"Auf Wiedersehen!" (which more literally translated would mean "Au revoir" or "Until we meet again".

"sehr gut" (very good)

"Fräulein" (Miss) is considered antiquated these days. In German, "Frau" (which can be translated as "Mrs.", "woman" and "lady") is used for Mrs., Miss and Ms. If you address a woman in the street without knowing her name, the most frequently used address nowadays is "junge Frau" (young lady), even if the lady in question is over 60 :D

"Herr" is the German equivalent of "Mr.", but can also be translated as "master", "lord" or "(the) Lord" according to context. "Mein Herr" (my (good) sir) is usually considered at least a little aggressive these days, while "Herr Professor" would be a polite way of addressing a professor, however, if the name is included, Kurt would be addressing Chuck either as "Herr Xavier" or "Professor Xavier".

"Kätzchen"

"nicht wahr?" (literally: "not true?") is used roughly where you would use "isnt it?" or "right?" in English.

"Schweinehund", plural "Schweinehunde"

"schnell" (quick(ly), fast)

"vas" is a phonetic spelling of "was" (what)

A few other German expressions Ive seen in the comics:

"Teufel" (devil)

"Liebling" (sweetheart)

"schön" (beautiful)

"verrückt" (crazy)

"Ach du lieber...!" ("oh my dear...!" -- this is actually a broken-off sentence, you would normally expect a (masculine) noun to follow, e.g. "Schreck" or "Gott").

Tilman :read: :mystique:
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Kurt-isms

Post by Garble »

Cool! Thanks for the info!

Do you have an opinion of what Nightcrawler would be called by other Germans?

I did a search thingie and it came up with Nachtkriechtier.
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt-isms

Post by Erynne »

Hey, speaking of which, I wonder what the comics sound like to a German reading the comic in German, hee hee. Do Americans use English words sometimes? That'd be funny. I should look it up or something.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Kurt-isms

Post by kurtlover »

Hey another German member!! HI! *waves* (i'm not german but we have germans here ;))
Welcome!
Menshevik
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt-isms

Post by Menshevik »

Thanks for the welcome, everybody! :)
Originally posted by Garble
Do you have an opinion of what Nightcrawler would be called by other Germans?

I did a search thingie and it came up with Nachtkriechtier.
Yes, well that would literally mean: "night reptile", which is probably not what you're aiming for. Also, the problem is that the verb "kriechen" (to crawl) also has the metaphoric meaning of "creeping" in the sense of "sucking up to", with all the negative connotations that enteils.

In a fanfic story I once wrote, I had Kurt saying that he originally wanted to call himself "Nachtmahr" (which is a slightly archaic word meaning "nightmare", but more in the sense of the evil spirit that visits a sleeper and causes the bad dream ("Albtraum" after the recent spelling reform, before that "Alptraum", literally "Elf-dream"). But the Professor gave him the code-name "Nightcrawler". :LOL:
(The problem here is that unfortunately Marvel already has a character called Nightmare -- the Dr. Strange villain).

Erynne: Hey, GERMANS use quite a lot of English words in everyday conversation! :D

Tilman :) :mystique: :rogue:
Garble
Lookout
Lookout

Kurt-isms

Post by Garble »

Heh, maybe that's why Professor X re-named him. "Nope, we already got one of those..."
Yeah, in English (maybe it's Latin) we call the evil-dream spirit an Incubus. (Or a Sucubus if it's female)
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt-isms

Post by Erynne »

Ahhh....hence the name of the band!
Menshevik
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt-isms

Post by Menshevik »

Originally posted by Garble
Heh, maybe that's why Professor X re-named him. "Nope, we already got one of those..."
Yeah, in English (maybe it's Latin) we call the evil-dream spirit an Incubus. (Or a Sucubus if it's female)
Ah, but an incubus or succubus (literally: "(the one) lying above" or "(the one) lying beneath"[1] is often a demon concerned with sexual dreams, which are not necessarily nightmares ;);pant;;pant;

[1] Terms were coined in the medieval church who apparently expected demons to prefer the "missionary position". :?
Garble
Lookout
Lookout

Kurt-isms

Post by Garble »

Menshevik, yes it depends on the particular legend..

I remember reading about medieval witch burning where women were accused of flying off to covens to have sex with incubi (described as demons with ice-cold penises :surprise:)... Turns out it all got started with some people who were taking old fashioned hallucinogens.
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt-isms

Post by Erynne »

Menshevik, do you have a book of all of this or something or are you just randomly coming up with this information off the top of your head?
Menshevik
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt-isms

Post by Menshevik »

They say there are two kinds of knowledge: You either have it in your head or you know in which book to look. In my case it was a bit of both (for instance, on another thread I looked up "Kurt" in a German and a British book of names).

Tilman :) :mystique: :rogue:
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt-isms

Post by Erynne »

LOL, fine by me :)
jogurt
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Banned

Kurt-isms

Post by jogurt »

Hi Menshevik nice to meet ya!
Hehe may the medival church peeps have not sooo much fantasy to imagine some other positions then the missionary...:D
The Pyramid over Egypt links with the Pyramid
of Time and Illusion. It is run by I, Thoth or
Hermes, the Trickster and Master of the Game.
(AKA. Azazel;) )
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt-isms

Post by Erynne »

Originally posted by jogurt
Hehe may the medival church peeps have not sooo much fantasy to imagine some other positions then the missionary...:D
......................*thinks hard* Oh! HAHAHA!
little Blue Lucy
Lookout
Lookout

Kurt-isms

Post by little Blue Lucy »

Hehe:laugh:
Originally posted by Erynne
Dude, someone should make a new section in Nightcrawler for like, German words/pronunciation that Kurt uses in the comics. That's be cool :)
Yes like lessons, like the ones they have on Quenya and Westron (if I'm not mistaken) on Council of Elrond.:) Pronunciations and all that.
Originally posted by Erynne
....and BTW, I agree with Bamfette, French is better, lol (except in x-men where German is DEFINETLY better)
I do prefer German myself.;)
Vala: "Hello."
Daniel: "What the hell are you doing here?"
Vala: "Isn't this my room?"
Daniel: "Noooo… your room is across the hall… with the… guard in front of it."
Vala: "Ah yes, they do all rather look alike don't they? Anyhow, Since I'm here, shall we make the best of it?"
Daniel: "No, we shalln't."
Coalition for Crawler to Carry a Cutlass (CCCC) Member #11 :engarde

:respectnc and they'll respect you, back.
Menshevik
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt-isms

Post by Menshevik »

Originally posted by jogurt
Hallöchen! Ganz meinerseits.

Or at any rate they saw it as the default position. I vaguely recall reading that medieval clerics would refer to sex with the woman on top as "coitus modo paganorum" (coition in the manner of pagans) and rather frowned on it, even among married people.

Tilman
:mystique: