Kurt as Swordsman

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
nthbc
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt as Swordsman

Post by nthbc »

All,

I have a question, I know that on occasion Nightcrawler has used a sword, and sometimes playfully as a swashbuckler.

Besides Uncanny X-Men #486, can you help me find other issues where Kurt is wielding a sword?

Thanks !
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Kurt as Swordsman

Post by Rowena »

Hi!

If you want Nightcrawler wielding swords, you've gotta read Excalibur! Kurt was the leader of his own team in Britain and he often carried two swords. The "Cross Time Caper" is a multi-issue adventure right near the beginning of the series, and it's a terrifically fun read. Later in the series, starting in Excalibur #98: Fireflies, he cuts all his hair off, grows a spiky sort of goatee thing and wields the swords a little more obviously (see below). The series slowly peters out after that until it ends in Excalibur #125: Tying the Knot.

One of my favorite issues in which Kurt fights with not two but three swords, is Excalibur #16: Warlord. There he lands on flying a pirate ship with a blue-skinned crew...and a tough but lovely blue damsel. It's cool.

Excalibur vs. X-Men, Special Edition (Excalibur: XX Crossing, 1992) is a pretty cool sword issue. Nightcrawler fights "Gladiator Hank" and they spout all sorts of old-fashioned swashbuckler talk. I think an assassin called Sidestep and Dr. Doom were responsible for this particular weirdness.

The classic 4-part Nightcrawler miniseries has pirates and sword action! In Issue #2 he swordfights against Shagreen the shark-faced Sorcerer...and gets the girl. If you can find it, this miniseries is really fun, and loaded with Bamfs and Boggies.

Another particularly sword-centric story is X-Calibre: The Infernal Gallop, Burn, Body Heat, and On Fire. This story takes place in a dark alternate universe in which Kurt Darkholme was raised by Mystique. He not only uses his swords, in "Body Heat" he actually teleports a nasty bad guy's head off! :X :aoa

There's no swords in Excalibur #43: Home Comforts, but there are some good acrobatic and fight scenes, as well as overall team character development. Yeah, comics used to do that.

There's a few panels of sword fighting in X-Men Manifest Destiny #1: Quitting Time.

There are more, but I'd have to go digging through my comics box and the list would be kind of long. But check out Excalibur and the classic Nightcrawler miniseries if you can. In my opinion, the "Cross Time Caper" shows Nightcrawler at his best! :)

Hope this was helpful!

:bamf

[Edited on 2/9/2010 by Rowena]
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
nthbc
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt as Swordsman

Post by nthbc »

Very helpful thanks so much !!
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Kurt as Swordsman

Post by Elfdame »

Also, look at the fan art by "Midnight Imp" from our recent challenge. :D

And, merely for the sake of discussion, this thread from long before I arrived here.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

Nikky G
Lubber
Lubber

Kurt as Swordsman

Post by Nikky G »

Oh my goodness! Kurt and Finn! Too awesome! :love

Nightcrawler also does some sword fightin' in the "Wolverine and the X-Men" tv show, specifically episode #11(?) titled "X-Calibre."
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Kurt as Swordsman

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I just got the four issue Nightcrawler run by Dave and Paty!! :P

PIRATE KURT FOR WIN!!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Wahnsinn
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Kurt as Swordsman

Post by Wahnsinn »

Rowena wrote:Another particularly sword-centric story is X-Calibre: The Infernal Gallop, Burn, Body Heat, and On Fire. This story takes place in a dark alternate universe in which Kurt Darkholme was raised by Mystique. He not only uses his swords, in "Body Heat" he actually teleports a nasty bad guy's head off! :X :aoa
:lick Mmm, AoA Nightcrawler. I want Kurt back, and I want Ken Lashley to be his exclusive artist. In every book. I don't care who draws the rest of the book, but Lashley must draw every panel of Kurt. In that outfit. With that hair. :love
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Kurt as Swordsman

Post by Elfdame »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:I just got the four issue Nightcrawler run by Dave and Paty!!
Blessed indeed are you, oh Bman! I have re-read those so many times that ... well, if I could weasel my way into teaching a college course, I could.

My fave panel is the long panel on the top of p.19 in the second one (cheez, I'm quoting chapter and verse here) where he's dueling Shagreen -- using both hands and his tail. YESSSSSS! [insert arm-pump Nighty emoticon here]
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Kurt as Swordsman

Post by neling4 »

Elfdame wrote:
Ult_Sm86 wrote:I just got the four issue Nightcrawler run by Dave and Paty!!
Blessed indeed are you, oh Bman! I have re-read those so many times that ... well, if I could weasel my way into teaching a college course, I could.

My fave panel is the long panel on the top of p.19 in the second one (cheez, I'm quoting chapter and verse here) where he's dueling Shagreen -- using both hands and his tail. YESSSSSS! [insert arm-pump Nighty emoticon here]
My favorite panel is when Kurt's clothes disappear and the princess says, "How did you do that...and can you do it again?" :LOL Love it.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010