An Argument For Argument's Sake: Why It Works That Kurt Is D

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I dunno... dark, for lack of a better word, and light not being it. LOL!

I'm pretty sure the avenue they'll bring him back in is one of a harbinger of justice, or one who seeks to change the corruption of the team and guide it back into the light.... from the shadows.

That is to say, that's the most INTRIGUING venue, to attract this generations readers! ;)
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Matary
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Matary »

I agree with the concensus that, IF they bring him back, they should return him to a pivotal role.

The route writers are going now really reminds me of a "resistance is futile you will be assimilated" situation. Everyone is dark and nasty with no deep thoughts or moral compass. The few that stuck in the cogs have been removed or killed. What is the value of having no balance to the characters?

It is difficult to create 3 diminsional characters in a comic book setting to start with. When you remove personality differences, it makes the remaining cast even more flat.

In my opinion, Claremont still reigns supreme on his version of Nightcrawler, though I really did like Robertson's version of him as well.

Are x-writers really so blind to the variations of their fan base by now? It really is no longer just a mass of pre-pubescent or teen males any longer, especially not since the success of the films. While scantily clad buxom tough female characters, and kick-yer-arse males might appeal to that target group, many of the rest of us are left dry --and have put down our subscriptions.

I'm an OLD x-fan. I started reading the book (and several of its off-shoots) in the early 80's and did so consistently until a few months ago. Now, if you read one of the series, you've read them all. There is no diversity. It is sad to see.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Ult, correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems you equate "light" with fluffy, funny, and not weighty.

I'm thinking of it as much more like a side of The Force.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Matary
Lubber
Lubber

An Argument For Argument's Sake: Why It Works That Kurt Is Dead...

Post by Matary »

Angelique wrote:Ult, correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems you equate "light" with fluffy, funny, and not weighty.

Would you mind elaborating Angelique?
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Matary wrote:
Angelique wrote:Ult, correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems you equate "light" with fluffy, funny, and not weighty.

Pardon the use of a Star Wars simile- though Nightcrawler confessed back it the day to being a huge Star Wars fan.

The Force has the Light Side, the Dark Side, and proponents on each side.

The Light Side is represented by the Jedi- powerful, honor-bound folks devoted to the cause of goodness, peace, freedom, and so forth, who can kick serious butt when need be. Nightcrawler, whether he's kicking butt or not, should so totally be written as if he's a Jedi.

The Dark Side is probably best represented by a power-hungre Emporer and an ex-Jedi who, with only what he thought were the best of intentions for those dear to him, committed a host of atrocities. I wish it were otherwise, but Cyclops has become far too much like Darth Vader lately.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Matary
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Matary »

Angelique wrote:
Matary wrote:

Pardon the use of a Star Wars simile- though Nightcrawler confessed back it the day to being a huge Star Wars fan.

The Light Side is represented by the Jedi- powerful, honor-bound folks devoted to the cause of goodness, peace, freedom, and so forth, who can kick serious butt when need be. Nightcrawler, whether he's kicking butt or not, should so totally be written as if he's a Jedi.

The Dark Side is probably best represented by a power-hungre Emporer and an ex-Jedi who, with only what he thought were the best of intentions for those dear to him, committed a host of atrocities. I wish it were otherwise, but Cyclops has become far too much like Darth Vader lately.
I tend to agree with this, yes.

Seems it would make much more interesting reading to have the conflict of the two sides, rather than just have one as dominant.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Angelique wrote: Light can be bad-ass too.
Excalibur? First series, of course.

:tub:meggan:rachel:widget:kitty:engarde
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

deadpixiedust
Lubber
Lubber

Post by deadpixiedust »

Matary wrote:I agree with the concensus that, IF they bring him back, they should return him to a pivotal role.

The route writers are going now really reminds me of a "resistance is futile you will be assimilated" situation. Everyone is dark and nasty with no deep thoughts or moral compass. The few that stuck in the cogs have been removed or killed. What is the value of having no balance to the characters?

It is difficult to create 3 diminsional characters in a comic book setting to start with. When you remove personality differences, it makes the remaining cast even more flat.

In my opinion, Claremont still reigns supreme on his version of Nightcrawler, though I really did like Robertson's version of him as well.

Are x-writers really so blind to the variations of their fan base by now? It really is no longer just a mass of pre-pubescent or teen males any longer, especially not since the success of the films. While scantily clad buxom tough female characters, and kick-yer-arse males might appeal to that target group, many of the rest of us are left dry --and have put down our subscriptions.

I'm an OLD x-fan. I started reading the book (and several of its off-shoots) in the early 80's and did so consistently until a few months ago. Now, if you read one of the series, you've read them all. There is no diversity. It is sad to see.
This is what I have been arguing for months on other forums. The whole team is made up of "dark, edgy" characters. They remind me more of pissy teens than adults. We need more personality variation for this to be entertaining. The most successful TV shows have this. It makes perfect sense. I'm not a teenager anymore, and even then I liked variation.

[Edited on 14/1/11 by deadpixiedust]
*.*.*.deadpixiedust.*.*.*
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I really hate to go so wildly :offtopic on this one, but I can't resist.

The Dark side is completely based on perspective. In Vader's mind, (Anakin's really), he had been in the right, and was always right, until he realized what it would cost him (the loss of his Son, and probably eventually his daughter). The Dark Side of the force is tempting because it gives you what you want, but people like Mace Windu, who tame the Dark Side, and use it for forces of "good", create a light out of it.

That's how I've always imagined Kurt. SOmeone who takes the dark and makes it good.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I don't know. The Dark Side got Darth Vader with an "ends justify the means" kind of ethic. Totally Cyclops.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I think Kurt breaking up the x-Force by using some tactics not always associated to him would be a pretty good strategy.