Ongoing Series

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Rex Luscus
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Ongoing Series

Post by Rex Luscus »

I think we already had this conversation, but I can't find it and I can't remember what people said, so let's have it again. :D

If you were to write an ongoing monthly solo series for Nightcrawler, what would it be like? Wolverine's got Madripoor and all his little ninja/espionage adventures ... so what would Kurt have? Would he be like that G.K. Chesterton character Father Brown, a priest that goes around solving mysteries? Or would he be more of a swashbuckler type, and if so, how would that work in a modern setting?

Just curious... ;)

-Rex
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Ongoing Series

Post by Garble »

Well, the priest thing is almost kaput. So the Father Brown theory is mostly unlikely. But still doable.

Kurt is more social than most characters with solo books. So I think he'd have guest appearances on a regular basis. He dosen't want to officiall lead the X-Men, but if he were hanging out with some of them and trouble started, he'd probalby take charge.

Of course there's always his past to explore in greater detail, as well as all the people he's known...
Born Blue
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Ongoing Series

Post by Born Blue »

I'd probably try my best to make it feel like the old-school Excalibur issues (by Alan Davis). Often comical, but able to make very serious and touching moments. I'd also make Nightcrawler explore the MU has a whole. Test his religion. He knows there are things out there far greater than him. Things that would make other people test their religion. I would like to put Nightcrawler through the same test. IMO, Nightcrawler does just kinda have blind faith.
------ The Man who used to be Man of Letters ------
Well wadda know, I got a Nightcrawler fansite too!
------ http://respect-the-elf.freeservers.com/ -------
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Ongoing Series

Post by Nandireya »

Probably do a few flashbacks to start with...go into more depth on things that have only been touched on...he would have had to be something of a handful for Margali and the other circus members, little blue tyke learning to walk, on the ceiling :eek:...how he felt when he found out just how different he was :(...when he and Jimaine realised they were more than just friends :naughty:...explain how and why he suddenly became a priest...:?

But it's never gonna happen...no matter how popular Kurt is he's just too much of a team player to support an ongoing, solo book...:bawl:
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
crawler_17
Lubber
Lubber

Ongoing Series

Post by crawler_17 »

The Swashbuckiler Kurt. And lot's of guest appearences, With lot's of humor.
Erynne
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Ongoing Series

Post by Erynne »

Oh, but can't you guys just SEE the new series?

"Father Wagner: The Undercover Ordained Minister!"
::insert theme music::

And look....here's a clip from one of his many adventures!

Scene: Two teenagers, Mandy and Andy in the movie theaters

Mandy: Oh Andy, you mean so much to me! I'm so glad we're in love!

Andy: Yes Mandy. Yes we are.

Mandy: Kiss me!

Andy: Yes (leans in for kiss when suddenly......)

BAMF!

Mandy: Oh my goodness gracious! It's Undercover Ordained Minister Father Wagner!

Andy: Yes....it is!

Father Wagner: Thaaaaaaaaaat's right! Save sex for marriage kids! Awaaaaaaaay!

BAMF

Mandy: Uhh....what?

Andy: Wait....who was that again?
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Ongoing Series

Post by Bamfette »

heh. i had forgetten about this thread.

you know, now is the PERFECT time for a new series.... :)
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Ongoing Series

Post by Maelstrom »

I'm actually kind of working on one right now. Since the MovieVerse doesn't have all the extra grunge laying around (way too damn many superheroes and supervillians in Marvel for me to keep track of anymore), I've found it to be a perfect medium for expansion. So far I've finished three stories and even posted them here (before the hacker demons ate everyone's posts....). All of them are placed in an ongoing arc, and I have one that's going to be many chapters long when it's done.

((As a plug, check out MWP's Thunder and Brimstone site for my latest piece, Behind Glass. :) ))

The only thing is, it isn't truly a solo series. I find Kurt at his most interesting when interacting with others, especially with those he considers family. When out in the real world, so to speak, he has to be damned careful who he speaks with and/or where he goes, so there's not much room for constant, "man-on-the-street" interaction. By necessity, he has to stick with just a few trusted friends.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
swordwhalewalking
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Ongoing Series

Post by swordwhalewalking »

Swashbuckling on the high seas....maybe he gets to go on vacations and they get real interesting....
"What a ship is...is freedom"
(Captain Jack Sparrow, swashbuckler at large)

Ar im padathon vi eryn endor vain hen, i na idh far." ("And I will walk in the woods of this fair land which is rest enough." Legolas, Return of the King)

all the best men are married, dead, gay or fictional
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Ongoing Series

Post by taekwondodo »

Originally posted by Maelstrom
So far I've finished three stories and even posted them here (before the hacker demons ate everyone's posts....). All of them are placed in an ongoing arc, and I have one that's going to be many chapters long when it's done.

((As a plug, check out MWP's Thunder and Brimstone site for my latest piece, Behind Glass. :) ))
I've seen two of your stories at T&B and they were great - where to find #3?

Also, I'm with you, can't see Kurt as much of a loner. But would like to see stuff about his background, history, childhood, whatever. What made him the fuzzy elf we know and love.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Ongoing Series

Post by Bamfette »

he is not a loner, but who's to say that a solo series means it has to be a lone-wolf kind of thing? the other characters shown don't HAVE to be X-Men. introduce new characters for him to interact with. use characters that are currently not being used that he has a connection with. copious guest appearances.... show how he interacts with strangers. how does he put them at ease? easy to get around ;)
Nightcrawler ZERO
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Ongoing Series

Post by Nightcrawler ZERO »

Wasn't there once a series called marvel team up, where every issue Spiderman teamed up with a different hero? That concept may work with Nightcrawler.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Ongoing Series

Post by Maelstrom »

Originally posted by taekwondodo

I've seen two of your stories at T&B and they were great - where to find #3?

Also, I'm with you, can't see Kurt as much of a loner. But would like to see stuff about his background, history, childhood, whatever. What made him the fuzzy elf we know and love.
I've re-written two of my previous stories that I posted here a couple of months ago, and I'm putting them up on Fuzzy Visions today. I think I'll also put Broken Glass up, too, for a little extra coverage. ;)

I think an NC series would work, but not as a strict solo. However, tho the Spiderman Team Up bit is nice for a few runs, it so quickly turns into a "gee, who can we beat up on next" fest. IMHO, I think either a limited solo series (like the 1986 one) or a long-term team up would be the way to go. When you keep rotating partners, there's no chance for meaningful development.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Ongoing Series

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I think either a limited solo series (like the 1986 one) or a long-term team up would be the way to go. When you keep rotating partners, there's no chance for meaningful development.
I agree, NC isn't a really lone-wolf type of guy like Wolverine. Relationships are very important to him. I don't think he would work well too long on his own. At least a partnership with another regular character would be a good thing
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Harlequin
Lubber
Lubber

Ongoing Series

Post by Harlequin »

for some strange reason i have just pictured Kurt being Captain Jack Sparon in Pirates of the Carribean...

i don't know, it's probably the lack of sleep talking but i think it would be extremely comical to see kurt walking around drunk most of the time.
:gambit: Pick a card