spirituality

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
fuzzy dice
Lubber
Lubber

spirituality

Post by fuzzy dice »

keep the collar kurt #3
nuff said.
what now?i have to make a siggy? ok lets see.........
err.....how about...um......
i like pie??
hey i like that! i like that alot!

Keep the colar kurt #3

an annoing purpel haired oik who starts fires you say?? oh you mean fuzzy!

who 8 all the pie?
who 8 all the pie?
i think thats fairly clear......
Betablue
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

spirituality

Post by Betablue »

He never HAD "the collar," so how can he keep it?

The priest angle was something Claremont plucked from his backside. We never saw Kurt enroll in seminary, or attend classes, or get ordained, or preside over mass, or perform ANY other sacraments. He spewed the occasional lame line about God or forgiveness or whatnot, but those were simply cliches.

For all practical purposes, he was masquerading as a priest--and that's it. Too bad there aren't (as far as I can see on Westlaw) any laws against that.

If he has to be Catholic, fine. We can chalk it up as detail under the category "character traits." But the priest thing was an ill-considered act of impracticality on the part of The God C, and that's all. The sooner it disappears, the better.
swordwhalewalking
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

spirituality

Post by swordwhalewalking »

Yeah, he's only "demonic" in Christian myth. If he'd been born into a Native American family, (or an Australian Aboriginal, or something else) his appearance would have had a different mythic effect. I can't figure out how a guy raised by Gyspy sorcerors/magic users got to be a devout Catholic...:surprise:surprise:surprise
"What a ship is...is freedom"
(Captain Jack Sparrow, swashbuckler at large)

Ar im padathon vi eryn endor vain hen, i na idh far." ("And I will walk in the woods of this fair land which is rest enough." Legolas, Return of the King)

all the best men are married, dead, gay or fictional
NightFlight
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

spirituality

Post by NightFlight »

Well, Germany as a whole has a large Catholic population, so the odds are Kurt would have been exposed to it growing up. Still, because he was raised Gypsy I can't imagine him being anything but a very very liberal Catholic. The whole priest angle was just absurd. I think the way they ended it was rather idiotic but at least the issue is closed now and we can get onto all the other facets of Kurt's personality that have been ignored.
And though they tell you I am lost
and their words report my death is come
the fates have left me breathing still
very much alive
RobDBlackwolf
Lubber
Lubber

spirituality

Post by RobDBlackwolf »

I think a good part how he became a devout catholic could be the location.
Bavaria is a strongly religious area, especially the rural areas where a traveling circus would spend most of their time. So having Kurt, who comes from that area, being a catholic fits exactly the location.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

spirituality

Post by taekwondodo »

I actually kind of like the Catholicism. Funny since I'm an atheist. I've kind of always had a soft spot for the pageantry of the Catholic Church, maybe from having spent years as a medieval history junkie or something, don't know. Glad the priest things going bye bye though. Just don't feel right lusting after a man of God and d**n is Kurt hot!
NightFlight
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

spirituality

Post by NightFlight »

I'll agree with that. I'm also an atheist, though I was raised Episcopalian, which is sort of "Diet Catholic." I don't agree with the beliefs but they sure know how to put on one H**L of a show:smirk
And though they tell you I am lost
and their words report my death is come
the fates have left me breathing still
very much alive
Angel of the Night
Lubber
Lubber

spirituality

Post by Angel of the Night »

hi everybody im new here! *waves*
oh please let me clarify something,
christianity is not a belief and you cant 'practice it'. it is who you are.christians were first called that because they were followers of Jesus Christ and believed that he saved them from their sins (not becouse they did anything but becouse they believed). If Kurt was a Buddhist or anything else i know everybody wouldnt be so quick to say how they dislike that aspect of him.
Im glad kurt is christian:). when i saw him for the first time on the original cartoon series thats what atracted me to him; his open honesty about his faith. i was (happily) shocked!
i applaud Mr. Clairmont for having the guts to do the one thing that would be the most unpopular with his readers- add avery devoted christian (and i assume in that buisness if youre too unpopular youre history!).
then what happens? instead of the character being run outa dodge & forgotten miserably, people still continue to read about(and in some cases protest their undying love to) him.
WHOA :shocked NOW THATS THE KINDA WRITER I WANT TO BE!
btw- i love these smileys!!:naughty:love:kiss
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

spirituality

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

AMEN Angel of the Night !

That's how I got to be such a Nightcrawler fan.
and it's nothing new, he's been a Christian for years
I would be sooo upset if they took that away.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Angel of the Night
Lubber
Lubber

spirituality

Post by Angel of the Night »

Originally posted by Shadow_Dancer
AMEN Angel of the Night !

That's how I got to be such a Nightcrawler fan.
and it's nothing new, he's been a Christian for years
I would be sooo upset if they took that away.
Aw, thanks!
Man i would CRY (literally:() if they took it away from him. myself, i think thats the backbone of the character.
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

spirituality

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Think about Kurt's character.
He's kind, generous, caring, a gentleman in almost every sense of the word, and has a great sense of humor.

I think he flirts because he likes to make every woman feel like a queen.

His belief gives true depth to his character.
He's also a noble knight, and many of them were Christians too

And he's vulnerable, which I think helps his appeal

No wonder we girls go nuts over him.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

spirituality

Post by Northstars Love »

Everyone must understand that Christianity is a faith and not a religion. I really don't care personally if people believe that or not. I have problems with organized religion. My faith is between God and I. Kurt has those same feelings but chooses the Catholic faith as the way to express those Christian beliefs. Every Christian church whether Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox professes in the same doctrines of the way to salvation and the Holy Trinity. Kurt as of late seems to be yelling at God for the problems and the murders of his fellow mutant kind. "Why are you letting this all happen?" His faith is being shaken. I really like Kurt's spiritual beliefs. It gives him a sense that he's still a mortal being that can be injured or killed. Unlike some mutants that believe that they are the "superior".
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

spirituality

Post by rockstar »

couldn't agree more, Bamf. i like the fact that he's happy with his faith and he's not afraid to show it. I'm Catholic also, so i guess i like Nightcrawler because I understand what his beliefs are.
"The whole idea of being in a dark superhero film was quite amusing, and I like that it's got a strong moral track about acceptance............. And then of course the idea of flying around, killing people with my tail -- that kind of appealed to me." :tail
- Alan Cumming (Interview with Wizard Magazine)