Originally posted by Panz: Unfinished tails: Mr.Claremont answers my question about Kurt and the priesthood

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Originally posted by Panz: Unfinished tails: Mr.Claremont answers my question about Kurt and the priesthood

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Panz:
Because I am a world class pest and have no end of curiosity, i asked one of my favorite persons, the very cordial Chris Claremont, what he would have done with Kurt and the priest situation on XFan.

A lot of people have been very angry and upset over the priest episode, and I wanted to share with you guys what the man who wrote the Nightcrawler that we all love had to say

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Quote from Chris Claremont posted on XFan 2 July 2003)

Where NC's concerned, I doubted I'd ever have him go all the way with the priesthood, as in take final vows. He was a seminarian, still learning, still facing that final decision and choice. For me the fun was balancing his yearning for spiritual fulfillment -- which I was playing with last-century following his confrontation with the "Beyonder." I mean, what happens to faith when you meet a solipsistic sociopath who possesses all the surface attributes of God? How does he balance his essential normalcy (which of necessity carries with it dreams of family and future) with the requisites of his life as a super-hero and a mutant? How does he reconcile the inherent contradictions (I do good by wearing a costume and kicking evil mutant butt, and maybe even teaching some students, but do I have anything resembling a life?) Was his quest for the priesthood perhaps an attempt on his part to bypass all those thorny questions, and answers he'd rather avoid? Celibacy, as they say, covers a multitude of sins.

I assumed he'd decide that the best expression of his faith was to live a good and godly life and that taking the risk inherent in falling in love and building a family was more than balanced by the potential rewards. In a way, it's the reverse of the life of Thomas Becket, who found God and the Honor of God after a libertine's life. Kurt has always walked hand in hand with the Honor of God; what needs defending, in a strange sort of way, is the Humanity of Man.

Ah well, the paths not (yet) taken. Welcome to the spaghetti junction of my X-life, scores of on- and off-ramps, leading to semi-constructed, oft-abandoned roads.

Cordially,
Chris Claremont

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that Chris does not mind me sharing his reply. I thought that it was so completely true to Kurt and "defending the humanity of man" is so what he does.

Thanks Chris for putting up with a wild eyed Nighty loving maniac and for being gentleman enough to never once suggest that I was in the wrong forum.

BAMF Central:
Good question, interesting response.
Thanks for posting, Panz.

Entropy:
to bad it was never carried out that way and Austin had to come up with a creative way to get him out of it.

shak8spear:
That was a very insightful response and i am glad that he responded.

Dark Bamf:
Sounds like spin doctoring to me.

The Drastic Spastic:
That's what I was thinking...
Any less biased people care to comment?

Bamfette:
lol, afraid i am not the one, i was refraining from commenting because i felt i was too biased oh well... it's over now, time to get on with things

Panz:
But I had to ask !!!
* Panz goes back to pestering Chris about the infamous lime Jello incident with Jean Grey...

Melylott:
Lime jello?

kurtlover:
quote:
Originally posted by Bamfette
lol, afraid i am not the one, i was refraining from commenting because i felt i was too biased oh well... it's over now, time to get on with things

yup its finally over! *nods head grinning*
i personally don't care the way it ended...because its over!
*does the happy ending-with-the-stupid-priesthood dance*

Poofer:
Hey I'll join in the dance! *Dances with kurtlover*
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€