Nightcrawler and Wolverine

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Sorte Springer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Sorte Springer »

I have noticed that lots of Nightcrawler fans expres negative feelings about Wolverine. Personally I am not a big fan of Wolverine "the lone wolf", but I love Wolverine and Nightcrawler as team mates in X-men.
When the two of them are together, they create a nice balance for each others personalities.

Wolverine is the tough guy who rarely have second thoughts about killing his adverseries. However, he cares about and respects Nightcrawler.
Thus he shows that he recognizes the fact that it is possible for a hero to be a lot more idealistic and compassionate than he himself is able to be.

Nightcrawler, on the other hand, can be almost "too good for this world". Nightcrawler does not loose his temper and kill somebody, no matter how evil somebody is. He couldn´t bring himself to do that.
But Nightcrawler is aware, often more than the rest of the team, of how Wolverine some times solve a problem in a way that isn´t very pretty.

He does, however, not loathe him for it. Often it seems that Nightcrawler knows that Wolverine did the right thing, it was just something that he could never do himself.

In that way, I think they complete each other. I also like the general idea of two wery different caracters who have a deep respect for one another.
A ve in om de flest æ de bedst eller båre de flest.
- Niels Hausgaard
Fuzzy_Jr.
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Fuzzy_Jr. »

Actually. I like Wolverine quite a bit. Not as much as Nightcrawler of course, but he's in my list of favorites.

I love when they work as a team because they are so different and they're quite a pair when they are working together.
N-No Season Five? *Wince* *Whimper* WAHAHAHAHA! *Twitch*
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

i don't really think that most people dislike him, but rather they think he is overrated and overused. look at all the comics that he appears in and how he almost always wins (personally i liked him best when he had bone claws and was having a hard time).
Dave, your creations brought joy to my life and inspired my imagination. R.I.P.

Insanity is all in the mind...
crow
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by crow »

I agree with Sorte Springer about how the two X Men fit together. I think they are like 2 sides to the same person, in a way. Thats how I view the two. Wolvie is another favorite of mine. So I like both of them.
~CROW~
Sorte Springer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Sorte Springer »

I agee with you Entropy, Wolverine is definitely being used too much. It is as if two thirds of Marvels comic books have to have him in them one way or another.

I don´t remember that omnipresece should be among his mutant powers, but these days he is just all over the place, and that does wear a caracter out.

I liked the"bone claw period" too.
A ve in om de flest æ de bedst eller båre de flest.
- Niels Hausgaard
hilowey
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by hilowey »

Awww...best fwends. I like how they are complete opposites.

But they both kick ass:evil
"God sneezed. What could I say to Him?"- Henny Youngman

"In Los Angeles, McDonald's quickly reacted to the highway shootings. They came out with 'Happy To Be Alive Meals'"-Al Clethen

"What was the name of the little boy whose nuts grew every time he told a lie? Pistachio."-Tommy Sledge
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Yep, yep, yep; I go with the "overexposure" angle, too. When someone becomes really popular, they get abused and overexposed to make more money. Unfortunately, that's where poor Logan is right now. He's grown into an interesting, 3-dimensional character by now, and issue 3 of his personal series is VERY well-done. It's just that when someone is everywhere, and all kinds of "screen/page time" is devoted to him at the expense of others, you can get kind of tired of it.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Tatu »

Personally? Love wolvie, have always loved wolvie, will always love wolvie and nothing will change that :) ....same goes with Gambit
Call me King!
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

i like wolvie, but marvel has overused him. when you walk into the comic store and he is in Uncanny, New, Xtreme, his own series, multiple limited series (netsuke, wolvy/doop, wolvie/hulk, etc.), unlimited, and exiles you just have to wonder. Now he's not in all of those all the time but still.

Plus everyone wants to write/draw him, thus we get a bunch of mediocre work mixed with the good, which of course marvel puts out.

back on topic, i do love the Wolvie/Crawler combo. It was especially great in the old uncanny.

NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Post by NightPoofer »

I think Wolverine is pretty cool, but he get's too much more attention than all the others! It's not right! It's not fair! I think Nightcrawler should be the one who everyone should center down on.

Nightcrawler and Wolverine together are really cool though, because they make a good couple, but not in a couple couple kind of way.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

I've always liked Nightcrawler, but I only like Logan when he's used well which isn't often.

I think Logan (as he is, on average portrayed) is a bit of a pompus ass.

I really agree with what you guys are saying about their being opposites and kindred spirits at the same time. Nightcrawler wears his demons on the outside while desplaying all that is good about humanity from the inside. While Logan can never resolve if he's a killing machine, a wild animal, or just a man who's lost his soul.

Sometimes, I think Nightcrawler is the only one nice enough to put up with Logan.
shakspear
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by shakspear »

I have always thought that Logan and Kurt showed a ying/yang relationship. They compliment each other in personality styles. Where one is violent, the other has control. Logan is overused most often in a vain attempt to just make money while sacrificing story and character development.
As much or more we should ourselves complain.

Assume a virtue, if you have it not.
Be great in act, as you have been in thought.

William Shakespeare

"Stealing from one person is called plagiarism; stealing from a bunch of people is called research." -Alfred E. Newman.
InsanePenman
Lubber
Lubber

Post by InsanePenman »

I'm sort of neutral about Wolverine. That could be because I can only afford to buy one title regularly, so I don't see him as often as those of you that buy a lot of X-titles. If I had to read him a lot more often it would probably get old.

I have to agree with Nightcrawler and Logan making a great pair of friends. They're such complete and total opposites that they fit perfectly together.
JohnnyBamf
Lubber
Lubber

Post by JohnnyBamf »

Ok, when you say "bone claw period" do you mean he has his adimantium claws back? I've been away for awhile because my comic shop closed a long time ago and there's no other place to buy comics. And I love the NC and Wolvie combo. One issue that sticks out in my mind is the one where they're fighting robots in a junkyard
Colossus's power, Nightcrawler's fur, tail and teleportation, Angel's wings, how cool would that be!
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Yes he got his adamantium claws during the Ages of Apocalipse arc...where he became a horserider of apocalipse..he turned into Death, and he got them back.
KarmaSutra777
Lubber
Lubber

Post by KarmaSutra777 »

I think we touched on this topic before, BUT, the movies are slightly well, okay more than slightly off from the comics, but most basis is the same. Depending on how far the movies go, I'm sure we'll see more humor on their part, let's pray!
Karma Sutra
bluenightcrawler.net
Entropy
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Entropy »

?????
We aren't talking about the movies.
And while they are funny together sometimes, many times it's just cool to see how well they compliment each other.

KarmaSutra777
Lubber
Lubber

Someone needs a....

Post by KarmaSutra777 »

Okay, other base, well now I can see it, the comic, yes, first and only, comic kurt and wolvie love those one liners and get backs, been a fna for years, so I see it as natural, BUT I was pointing also to a movie angle also...
Karma Sutra
bluenightcrawler.net
Project Autumn
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Project Autumn »

Originally posted by Garble
Nightcrawler wears his demons on the outside while desplaying all that is good about humanity from the inside. While Logan can never resolve if he's a killing machine, a wild animal, or just a man who's lost his soul.
::claps:: Extremely well said. :) I like the Nighty/Wolvering combination for the Yin-Yang reasons you've all talked about. I also like Wolverine on his own, but I don't collect the comics and therefore do not see the "overused" issue first hand. I have no doubts, though, that you are all correct in saying that it exists. :)
:kiss Member # 6 of the WKNWTSMT (Would Kiss Nighty With The Scary Movie Teeth) Club.

:crazed Member # 7 of the ILTSP (I Liked The Stripy Pants) Club.

Then, together, you cross the Rainbow Bridge, never again to be separated. Author Unknown
:whistle :hang :poke
Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

i agree Wolverine in overused
i used to love him,he was one of my fave characters- but now hes EVERYWHERE
hes on tons of covers (the comics, magizines cant even remember how many times hes been on Wizard mag) even the X-men movie featured tons of wolvie-
i'm burned out on wolvie(but i do like him & nighty together)
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.
RavenRyo
Lubber
Lubber

Post by RavenRyo »

I agree on two things
1. They are yin and yang
2. Wolvie has had his 15 minutes of fame and a millenia to boot.

I hope they dont run Wolvie into th ground, but I would love to see their companionship in th X3 movie. I hope they touch on that.
Where oh where oh where, is my teleporting power when I really need it? :bamf
swordwhalewalking
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by swordwhalewalking »

For some obscure reason, Wolvie seems to resonate with a lot of people (I suspect a lot of guys with testosterone poisoning who would love to be that tough in reality). Before someone skewers me with their adamantium claws, I do like Wolvie (though I agree he might be a hair overexposed at times), and Hugh Jackman made him actually hot and sweet.
I've said this before on another thread (or two) but Nighty and Wolverine remind me a lot of another pair of excellent literary opposites: Legolas and Gimli of Lord of the Rings. (Opposites who hate each other at first, then form a brotherly bond that lasts beyond the ends of the mortal world). It's case of the same kind of archetypes popping up in a different medium.
Yeah, the yin-yang thing is what makes them fly. I hope we see it in the next movie.
The Elf is still my favorite....
"What a ship is...is freedom"
(Captain Jack Sparrow, swashbuckler at large)

Ar im padathon vi eryn endor vain hen, i na idh far." ("And I will walk in the woods of this fair land which is rest enough." Legolas, Return of the King)

all the best men are married, dead, gay or fictional
Magic Rabbit
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Magic Rabbit »

I like Wolverine just fine. Years ago, before Logan became the guy who could everything from fixing a toaster to walking on water, I thought he was a great character. I think that he's been manhandled by too many writers who made him into some weird things (super spy secret agent type) and put him in boring situations (oh yay, more of the Logan/Jean/Scott triangle). But I still think he's a good character, and I have always loved (yes loved) the Kurt/Logan friendship. They used to hate each other and bitch and complain. But Claremont did a great job at slowly developing a nice relationship. From the facet of both of them being beer-loving loners to their very different personalities, it's one of the few friendships in the X-books to comes off as real - IMO.
"If we crash I can't win!" - Speed Racer

:bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny

:blossom :bubbles :buttercup
Vee_EmmCee
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Vee_EmmCee »

I haven't been reading the comics for too long, but from what I've seen I like the realationship.

And I think Logan is used so much because he's very reconizable(sp?). When people see him, they immediatly think "X-men, Marvel!" It's more of a marketing thing I think.
"The hate of another person is sick and disgusting, and I'll never understand how the word hate is thrown around like it's nothing. Because it's something, something ominious, and in the end, it will destroy us all. "
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Yeah but he's only recognizable because he's plastered everywhere. Can you honestly say that Logan is any easier to pick out of a crowd than say, Nightcrawler or Cyclops?